• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Border patrol stopped six immigrants suspected of terrorism in first half of 2018: NBC

Tell me what's preventing them from doing so. Illegals cross our Southern border everyday that are not caught.

These things are a matter of cost / benefit. The cost of building a wall is huge, not to mention the opportunity cost of things that do not get done so this does. The benefit of this wall is highly questionable as there is no guarantee the wall will really change much.

Moreover, the need for this wall is hardly established. The current level of border crossing is 10% of what it was 15 years ago, validating what we have done to date and bringing to great question why more needs to be done.

This whole thing is a "trumped" up issue that very few informed people believe. There is no political basis for this wall, its fundamentally a lost cause.

If Trump wants the wall, then let him negotiate with congress for it. Of course, he would have to give on DACA and probably have to direct a full, comprehensive immigration reform. Then, he might get something that he could call a wall... but it won't be 30 feet high and made of concrete.

Last edited:
How many terrrorist were in the first plane that flew into the WTC?

BTW...if this had been the previous administration and the headline read "Border Patrol stops 6 suspected terrorists" the administration would have gotten a standing O from me.

The terrorism cry isn't very persuasive, at least when it comes to the wall. 41 suspected terrorists were stopped at the northern border, and yet there is no cry to build a wall there or put another 20,000 agents along that 4,000 mile stretch.

How many terrrorist were in the first plane that flew into the WTC?

They were almost all Saudis...Got in the county easy...Even today trump kisses Saudi Butt...No wall will keep them out...Try again

I asked what is preventing illegals from crossing our border? It sure is not those little bitty fences. Do those look like their 30' tall? Yes that is a question.

But hey according to you walls don't work so why are you not yelling to tear those walls down. Then thousand can just walk across without having to use a ladder or drop babies from the top of the wall, make it easy for them to get across by the thousands, like they used to do crossing into San Diego.

Funny to see the trump supporters frightened by Mexicans...LOL,,,,,

The terrorism cry isn't very persuasive, at least when it comes to the wall. 41 suspected terrorists were stopped at the northern border, and yet there is no cry to build a wall there or put another 20,000 agents along that 4,000 mile stretch.
I agree. Terrorism isnt the prime reason. The fact that we only managed to catch 330,000 of the who knows how many illegal immigrants from all around the planet...THAT is the real reason for border security. The fact that we have video evidence of mules carrying over bales of drugs...that also is a compelling reason. In fact, that is why Obama voted to build walls and barriers. That is why Schumer voted to build walls and barriers. Thats why Pelosi voted for them. Thats why they all touted the need for them and their effectiveness.

I agree. Terrorism isnt the prime reason. The fact that we only managed to catch 330,000 of the who knows how many illegal immigrants from all around the planet...THAT is the real reason for border security. The fact that we have video evidence of mules carrying over bales of drugs...that also is a compelling reason. In fact, that is why Obama voted to build walls and barriers. That is why Schumer voted to build walls and barriers. Thats why Pelosi voted for them. Thats why they all touted the need for them and their effectiveness.

Democrats are ready to spend Billions...On all phases of Border security...None of those mentioned ever wanted to spend 5.7 Billion on a useless wall...Try again

Crossing the desert is difficult and dangerous...There is a stretch between Arizona and New Mexico , hundreds of miles where there are No roads on either side....99% of the crossings that do involve migrants happen at spots with a drop near the border and a pick up on the other side, near the border ...Some of those areas already have Steel barriers....The talk of a giant wall in the middle of no where is idiotic

That is one of the continuously false talking points of the Democratic Party. There has never been any plan or call by Trump for a 2000 mile long wall. He wants to add approximately 300 miles and mostly rehab or upgrade existing sections - sections voted for by Pelosi and Schumer. A significant portion of costs of "the wall" it maintenance and upgrading existing border barriers.

https://thehill.com/latino/424221-b...pected-of-terrorism-in-first-half-of-2018-nbc

Ah Sarah, the lies one spins
6, not hordes, Trumps claims as usual were bogus
Cue the Trumpettes, well they found 6, cue the where were most tracked at??? - Airports

Did they use really tall ladders to come over the border where there is an existing border barrier or tunnel under it? Where they would most want to cross is into a populated area and those areas mostly have border barriers. Since a border barrier takes no more time to cross over than just stepping over the border, they must have used a ladder or a tunnel. Which is it?

That is one of the continuously false talking points of the Democratic Party. There has never been any plan or call by Trump for a 2000 mile long wall. He wants to add approximately 300 miles and mostly rehab or upgrade existing sections - sections voted for by Pelosi and Schumer. A significant portion of costs of "the wall" it maintenance and upgrading existing border barriers.

Really????...300 miles???....Strange that hasn't come out...Open the Government and the Democrats will listen...Until then Blue State America Will not be bullied...Not now...Not ever

Drugs overwhelmingly come over through the ports of entry, in cars and trucks, and the idea that a wall will dent drug shipments is just stupid. There are no drug organizations dependent on individuals hauling drugs on their back to feed the U.S. market. We all know this, which is why the idea that the wall will dent such efforts is so insulting.

I doubt any of the 6 were even terrorists of any sort...Probably low level criminals

17,000 individuals with criminal records were caught at the border last year.

6?.....Seems 3,994 short of what was being touted.....

I think 6 terrorists could do a lot of damage in this country. If the Trump administration just focused on this instead of inflating numbers they could persuade the country that a wall needs to be built.

The thought of "middle easterners" going undetected among latino migrants is absurd....Besides there are much easier ways of getting into the United States as the Saudi Hijackers proved

It was certainly easier before 9/11. Doesn't it seem reasonable that Terrorists would look to the much easier access of the southern border to get into this country given post 9/11 security changes?

But it only took how many to take down the twin towers and kill 3,000 of our citizens

I think this point should be acknowledged: six terrorists (if they really are terrorists in the Mohammed Atta/Germaine Lindsay mould) can do a lot of damage. Leaving aside moral concerns, the question becomes whether a wall would be sufficient to stop them. I think, if I were someone intent on getting into the U.S. so I could commit murder on a massive scale, and I were confronted with a wall to either side of which, for hundreds of miles, there was nothing but desert, it wouldn't stop me at all. If I'm sufficiently well funded to pull off something big, I could probably afford to transport a ladder through the Mexican desert, or at least a grappling hook and some rope. I could probably arrange to be met on the other side by someone in an ATV. The wall will cost me an extra 15 minutes, at best.

Your entire post is just one long ignorant "Nuh uh".

What do you think I'm referring to when I say drones. I'm really curious.

Cause there are more than one type. Ya see, and idiot would think of this drone, when I say drones.
View attachment 67247580

Instead of this...

View attachment 67247581

Those drones, can see for miles and miles, in more than one visual spectrum. Ya know what that means? It means they are effective at night as well.

Now, when I say strategically place points to minimize response time, you should realize that's to address the problem you presented in your rebuttal. A wall of any size, won't take more than a couple minutes to beat with a ladder. Whether it's 1 dude or 10 pregnant women, with proper motivation, human beings are pretty resilient and versatile. To think a wall would thwart one, let alone thousands in the modern world, is just goddamned stupid.

All I can say is your misinformed and does the word "naive" mean anything to you. Israel has a wall that is 99.999% effective. :doh

I think this point should be acknowledged: six terrorists (if they really are terrorists in the Mohammed Atta/Germaine Lindsay mould) can do a lot of damage. Leaving aside moral concerns, the question becomes whether a wall would be sufficient to stop them. I think, if I were someone intent on getting into the U.S. so I could commit murder on a massive scale, and I were confronted with a wall to either side of which, for hundreds of miles, there was nothing but desert, it wouldn't stop me at all. If I'm sufficiently well funded to pull off something big, I could probably afford to transport a ladder through the Mexican desert, or at least a grappling hook and some rope. I could probably arrange to be met on the other side by someone in an ATV. The wall will cost me an extra 15 minutes, at best.

Hmmm, 15 minutes delay versus 0 seconds delay. Which do YOU say is more of a delay?

All security is designed around delay time.

Why don't jewelry stores just leave all their jewelry in the glass displays? Anyone with a metal grinder can cut open a safe. Why do you think they use safes since your opinion must be they are worthless?

And what is all the nonsense about wanting people to lock up their firearms? I cut into one of my gun safes when the electronic lock failed and it took less than 15 minutes. Probably I should just throw the gun safes away using your reasoning.

Really????...300 miles???....Strange that hasn't come out...Open the Government and the Democrats will listen...Until then Blue State America Will not be bullied...Not now...Not ever

It is astonishing how many people rant talking points not having a clue that what they are ranting about is 100% absolutely false. The current wall/barrier is 700 miles long - voted for by Pelosi and Reid - who obviously according to talking points are evil racists as their reason. President Trump wants to add 300 miles - a total of 1000 miles. But I doubt you'll stop arguing your false claim anyway because it sounds so good.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/mexico-border-wall-donald-trump-planning-much-will-cost-will/

These things are a matter of cost / benefit. The cost of building a wall is huge, not to mention the opportunity cost of things that do not get done so this does. The benefit of this wall is highly questionable as there is no guarantee the wall will really change much.

I stopped right there, tear down all the walls and see what happens. Israel has a wall that is 99.999% effective, before San Diego built the wall 100's at a time would rush the border and crossed without being apprehended. The main freeways that led away from the border had signs of an illegal with a child running across the road. The sign told you to stay alert as illegals are crossing. These signs were no different and a deer sign that you see on the highways.

Further tear down all the walls around the country, as you say are not effective. You bring up cost. Have you studied how many crimes are committed by illegals each year. What about the cost of the family of a dead one killed by illegals. How about the drug deaths. Rapes, thieves, MS13. But you disregard all of that without a mention. If there was no illegals in our country our crime rate would drop like a rock. But hey you have sanctuary cities/states to harbor all the illegals, and when they come running to your sanctuary you have to feed them, get them a job, medical, food stamps, housing, cell phone etc. etc.

Illegals lower wages for our middle class, remember them, the middle class you liberals kicked to the curb that you called "deplorables". Their just farms out in the midwest and factories that Obama said those jobs are not coming back, who the hell needs them.

Funny to see the trump supporters frightened by Mexicans...LOL,,,,,

You libs come up the most radical BS.

We love Mexico for stepping up and assisting with the immigrants. That is just the opposite of your meaningless comment. You don't even add anything to a conversation. Your not worth responding too.

:moon:

Israel has a wall and it's 99.9999% effective against all the things you mentioned.

You libs come up the most radical BS.

We love Mexico for stepping up and assisting with the immigrants. That is just the opposite of your meaningless comment. You don't even add anything to a conversation. Your not worth responding too.

:moon:

But yet you respond , then posts pictures of scary Mexicans......Babble about Israel etc

Israel has a wall and it's 99.9999% effective against all the things you mentioned.

If you're referring to the West Bank barrier, there are three differences that make all the difference:

1. The West Bank wall is about 280 miles long. The proposed border wall would be close to 2000 miles long--about 7 times the length.
2. The West Bank wall is a multi-layer barrier; it has multiple fences, vehicle ditches, and other obstacles on either side, and because it is shorter, it is patrolled more often than we could feasibly patrol our southern border.
3. Most importantly, the territory it encloses is occupied by the Israeli army. They have about 8,000 solider there. To cover the land area in Mexico we'd need to cover at the same density, we'd need to send about 400,000 soldiers into Northern Mexico, and that many would need to stay there all the time.

Now, if we could man the wall with enough support personnel, I'd agree it'd be effective. But without that piece, we're far better off spending the proposed 5 billion dollars on other protection measures. Better, of course, would be to remove the economic conditions that cause the influx of immigrants, but both Mexican and American elites benefit from those arrangements too much to really do that.

Back
Top Bottom