• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

#BlackLivesMatter Shuts Down Toronto Gay Pride Parade Demand Cash, ban police floats

Re: #BlackLivesMatter Shuts Down Toronto Gay Pride Parade Demand Cash, ban police flo

you conyinue to look ignorant. police killed 1,300 black men last year. something you would have found out if you had done your homework. the idea that it is ok for cops to kill blacks as long as blacks are killing each other is ridiculous.
I am calling BS. Where did you pull this "statistic" from? I have an idea, but I'll wait for your answer.

Re: #BlackLivesMatter Shuts Down Toronto Gay Pride Parade Demand Cash, ban police flo

you conyinue to look ignorant. police killed 1,300 black men last year. something you would have found out if you had done your homework. the idea that it is ok for cops to kill blacks as long as blacks are killing each other is ridiculous.

Almost 3,000 people were shot in Chicago alone last year. Most of those were gang related shootings.

yes, it is actually a little over 200 blacks that cops murder, the rest are other groups. I suppose it is ok since it is only 200, I take your point.

Almost 3,000 people were shot in Chicago alone last year. Most of those were gang related shootings.

more right wing attempts at slight of hand.

You mean that it's not a real issue until the number of blacks killed or wounded by cops outnumbers the number of blacks killed or wounded by OTHER blacks? Surely you don't mean that.

It's way to easy to dismiss the stats by assuming that blacks had it coming due to their actions. If you haven't watched the Laquan McDonald video, have a go. Get cameras on all cops and watch these incidents go away.

Here's a synopsis of the autopsy locating his bullet wounds...from one cop...

This issue aside, there is no question there is a systemic problem with cops v blacks.

Use of one incident involving two individuals is not evidence of systemic anything. Does the presence of a disproportionate number of black players in the NBA indicate systemic racism?

Use of one incident involving two individuals is not evidence of systemic anything. Does the presence of a disproportionate number of black players in the NBA indicate systemic racism?

I SAID "that issue aside..."

If you don't think we have a problem with police officers' interactions with blacks, you have blinders on. It's not one-sided either.

Go back and do your homework, you are incorrect

You are 100% wrong but I think you know this already.
It is pretty much a fact that blacks on black violence is the main cause.
Most of these shootings are gang or drug related which makes it even more tragic.

Demanded cash?
How is that different from robbing stores?

It could be considered intimidation or blackmail.
They should have been arrested

yes, it is actually a little over 200 blacks that cops murder, the rest are other groups. I suppose it is ok since it is only 200, I take your point.

Citation?

Since 2009 according to the fbi there have 4.5k black men killed by other black men per year
Something you would have found out if you had did you homework.

Well it depends on why they were shot. The first place. So far grand juries have found that most of these shootings
Are justified.

You are arguing a straw man argument.

Murder?

Please show thw murder by police officers.

Before you post. The REAL definition of murder.

I SAID "that issue aside..."

If you don't think we have a problem with police officers' interactions with blacks, you have blinders on. It's not one-sided either.

I think the media has taken a few cases and blown them out of proportion.
This has been proven by the lack of convictions in cases.

I think the media has taken a few cases and blown them out of proportion.
This has been proven by the lack of convictions in cases.

Well, it's hard to look at Laquan McDonald and blame the media for blowing it up out of proportion. Hard to look at the lady who wouldn't put her cigarette out and ended up dead, and not think that cops might need some sensitivity training. That they are afraid themselves which may cause them to over-react.

AND it's hard to look at many of these interactions and not realize that blacks themselves are, in many cases, to partly to blame.

I was taught to respect cops. To understand and acquiesce to their power. To fight it in the courtroom and not in the street. It's pretty apparent to me that blacks aren't taught that. They don't even BEGIN to respect cops. THAT'S the attitude that gets so many in trouble, IMO.

That's all good and dandy. But if BLM wants to address those issues then fine, but they shouldn't hijack other people's events to do it.
I agree that it looks bad to take over other events, but the purpose of BLM is to get the most attention possible. Holding their own event wouldn't get half the coverage as taking over somebody else's event does. It may make them look bad to a large portion of the public, but it has been pretty effective at getting politicians and MSM to talk about them and their issues.

You mean that it's not a real issue until the number of blacks killed or wounded by cops outnumbers the number of blacks killed or wounded by OTHER blacks? Surely you don't mean that.

It's way to easy to dismiss the stats by assuming that blacks had it coming due to their actions. If you haven't watched the Laquan McDonald video, have a go. Get cameras on all cops and watch these incidents go away.

Here's a synopsis of the autopsy locating his bullet wounds...from one cop...

This issue aside, there is no question there is a systemic problem with cops v blacks.

Yeah, there is. But it's not the problem with the police.

maybe they are tired of being killed by cops?
Who? White folks? Because that is who cops kill more of in sheer numbers, and is who they kill more of if the numbers of those they violently interact with is taken into account.

Go back and do your homework, you are incorrect
No, you would be wrong.
Cops kill more white folks in sheer numbers than blacks.

You might want to check out the information provided to MaggieD below.

Actually no.

Police shoot more white folks in sheer numbers than they do blacks. If all things were equal, that is what should be expected.

If broken down by racial proportions, the numbers then reflect that the Police kill disproportionately more blacks than whites.
But the problem with that stat is that not all members of a race interact with police on a criminal level, so the whole number of a race can not be used for comparative purposes.
The numbers need to be broken down further to only those who interact with them.
When that is done it becomes clear that whites are shot more times than blacks are.

Whether officers, veterans or civilians, the subjects consistently hesitated longer before firing at black suspects and were much more likely to mistakenly shoot an unarmed white suspect, the researchers found. And when they failed to fire at an armed suspect — a potentially fatal mistake — the suspect was about five times more likely to be black than white. The study’s 36 police officers were the lone exception in failing to fire: The suspect’s race wasn’t a factor in their decision not to shoot. “The findings were very unexpected given the previous experimental research,” said Lois James, an assistant professor who conducted the research.

Are Police Bigoted?
Race and Police Shootings: Are Blacks Targeted More?

Adjusted to take into account the racial breakdown of the U.S. population, he said black men are 3.5 times more likely to be killed by police than white men. But also adjusted to take into account the racial breakdown in violent crime, the data actually show that police are less likely to kill black suspects than white ones.

“If one adjusts for the racial disparity in the homicide rate or the rate at which police are feloniously killed, whites are actually more likely to be killed by police than blacks,” said Mr. Moskos, a former Baltimore cop and author of the book “Cop in the Hood.”

“Adjusted for the homicide rate, whites are 1.7 times more likely than blacks die at the hands of police,” he said. “Adjusted for the racial disparity at which police are feloniously killed, whites are 1.3 times more likely than blacks to die at the hands of police.”

Police kill more whites than blacks, but minority deaths generate more outrage

Analysis contradicts widespread views about racial targets

The real racial bias: Cops more willing to shoot whites than blacks, research finds

It’s widely assumed that white police officers are more likely to shoot black suspects as a result of racial bias, but recent research suggests the opposite is true.​

The real racial bias: Cops more willing to shoot whites than blacks, research finds

It seems more like blacks vs cops, or a systemic issue in black culture with hating cops as well as committing more violent crimes.

Since 2009 according to the fbi there have 4.5k black men killed by other black men per year
Something you would have found out if you had did you homework.

Well it depends on why they were shot. The first place. So far grand juries have found that most of these shootings
Are justified.

You are arguing a straw man argument.

try and keep up

Who? White folks? Because that is who cops kill more of in sheer numbers.

No, you would be wrong.
Cops kill more white folks in sheer numbers than blacks.

You might want to check out the information provided to MaggieD below.

Actually no.

Police shoot more white folks in sheer numbers than they do blacks. If all things were equal, that is what should be expected.

If broken down by racial proportions, the numbers then reflect that the Police kill disproportionately more blacks than whites.
But the problem with that stat is that not all members of a race interact with police on a criminal level, so the whole number of a race can not be used for comparative purposes.
The numbers need to be broken down further to only those who interact with them.
When that is done it becomes clear that whites are shot more times than blacks are.

Whether officers, veterans or civilians, the subjects consistently hesitated longer before firing at black suspects and were much more likely to mistakenly shoot an unarmed white suspect, the researchers found. And when they failed to fire at an armed suspect — a potentially fatal mistake — the suspect was about five times more likely to be black than white. The study’s 36 police officers were the lone exception in failing to fire: The suspect’s race wasn’t a factor in their decision not to shoot. “The findings were very unexpected given the previous experimental research,” said Lois James, an assistant professor who conducted the research.

Are Police Bigoted?
Race and Police Shootings: Are Blacks Targeted More?

Adjusted to take into account the racial breakdown of the U.S. population, he said black men are 3.5 times more likely to be killed by police than white men. But also adjusted to take into account the racial breakdown in violent crime, the data actually show that police are less likely to kill black suspects than white ones.

“If one adjusts for the racial disparity in the homicide rate or the rate at which police are feloniously killed, whites are actually more likely to be killed by police than blacks,” said Mr. Moskos, a former Baltimore cop and author of the book “Cop in the Hood.”

“Adjusted for the homicide rate, whites are 1.7 times more likely than blacks die at the hands of police,” he said. “Adjusted for the racial disparity at which police are feloniously killed, whites are 1.3 times more likely than blacks to die at the hands of police.”

Police kill more whites than blacks, but minority deaths generate more outrage

Analysis contradicts widespread views about racial targets

It’s widely assumed that white police officers are more likely to shoot black suspects as a result of racial bias, but recent research suggests the opposite is true.​

It seems more like blacks vs cops, or a systemic issue in black culture with hating cops as well as committing more violent crimes.

so what you are saying cops killing people is a much much broader problem that just cops killing blacks.

trying to change the topic is slight of hand.....even obfuscation.....um yes

Your the one who brought up the police. I pointed out that gang violence kills more African Americans then the police do.

With what?

Your claims?

They keep changing and you have provided citation for none.

I corrected myself once, you are making foolishness up. step over into the playground area, that is your style.

Your the one who brought up the police. I pointed out that gang violence kills more African Americans then the police do.

true but off topic

Back
Top Bottom