• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden Denies Workers Are Turning Down Jobs to Collect Unemployment

$600 dollars a week is not enough to live on much less turn down a good job.

Biden does know what workers are doing and BS lying anti american right wing nuts sure as hell don't know. These creeps get on a rant that some political rhetoric team sent out then keep repeating it as if it is true.
The single largest crime family on planet earth is ALEC hiding behind the GOP name thus both become a
crime family.

it seems like it should be a crime to make crime legal.
I thought your side liked to deal in facts. The facts are we have millions out on unemployment while businesses are struggling to find workers. That doesn't add up.

I have mentioned my rumination on a prior thread, but how many of these folks who have not returned to the workforce are parents (mainly women) from a previously two-income household where they cannot afford childcare? Anecdotally, I know of people who are unable to work at home who have kids where there are no summer school programs or affordable childcare and there is no choice but for one of the parents to remain at home. I wonder if the statistics shall be made available to us?
Why isn't there childcare? Remember, Democrats have made it safe to open schools so there is no reason for childcare not to be open.

Biden and the democrats need to keep shelling out more stimulus money to keep our economy humming along. BUT DO NOT GIVE ANY STIMULUS MONEY directly corporations. Give the money to millions upon millions of hard working people and they will distribute the money effectively.

The republican party created this economic disaster through Rump and associates by holding back information about COVID 19 until the economy became a shamble = why are republicans so damn
stupid?

Yes the government created this fiasco through negligence therefore they owe we the American people more of OUR TAX DOLLARS preferably every month. The government fuc-ed up the economy most likely a premeditated event therefore yes the government owes we taxpayers for damages. Millions upon millions of Americans ought to be taking congress to court in one monster law suit.

All of Trump's Lies About the Coronavirus - The Atlantic

https://www.theatlantic.com › archive › 2020/11 › trum...
Nov 2, 2020 — President Donald Trump has repeatedly lied about the coronavirus pandemic and the country's preparation for this once-in-a-generation crisis.

Trump's Covid lies were a tragedy. Were they also a crime?

https://www.msnbc.com › opinion › trump-s-covid-lies-...
Jan 27, 2021 — Trump's lies about Covid very likely killed Americans. Where's the accountability? Image of US President Donald Trump takes off his facemask as ...
LOL. The "hard working people" are sitting at home playing video games while getting more money on unemployment than they did while working plus stimulus money to boot.

Some simply want to ignore all the others factors these people, largely minimum wage earners, face in going back to work. Lack of child care, kids doing home learning, comfort with the safety of the workplace as examples. So easy when we judge from a position of comfort and likely have no one in our circle facing these issues......those of us whose worst problem is having to wear those annoying masks.
But but but Democrats say it is safe to open schools. If they can have open schools they can have open childcare. What's the difference?

Oh please...this is the old Reagan gangs "nobody wants to work when they can be on welfare" dusted off and updated. This is the usual GOP JOKE.

Unemployment Insurance recipients have "enough money coming in" to stay out of work is the old "welfare recipients have all the money" trope, another Reagan era laugher again dusted off and updated. The GOP is just PITIFUL as is anybody that swallows their swill.

Who is to say for one month that the "experts" were wrong and 1 million new jobs expected for April was just a plain old MISS!
Ummmmmmmmmm, many of these people are making more money on unemployment than they did while working while at the same time businesses across the board can't find workers to work. I thought you guys liked to deal in facts?

Of course people are staying on UI instead of going back to their $7.50 an hour job.

We can blame Republicans for that, they've been shitting on the working man and holding down wages since Reagan..

Someone offers state and Fed UI for $500 a week, or $300 a week at a job that pays crap? Only the moronic Republican base would take the $300
There are very few who actually earn $7.50 per hour. That is a hoax of the left. People should be forced to work, not take from the government.

Pay a decent wage and people will work. The company i work for pays above average hourly rates (I'm in retail management) and we've had no problems staying staffed.
No they won't. People would prefer to stay at home collecting money from the government without having to work. Why should they work when the government will take care of their lazy asses?

Why isn't there childcare? Remember, Democrats have made it safe to open schools so there is no reason for childcare not to be open.

Well let me be clear, Moderate Right: There is childcare. But the problem is that with it is that is often prohibitively expensive. And while schools have reopened, many districts have not. And even for the districts that have, they are not offering Summer School programs for the kids. So whether it is due to unaffordable childcare and/or lack of schooling, one parent is forced to stay home from work to care for the children.

There's no evidence that the extra $300/week is significantly altering peoples' decisions to go back to work.

It's a pay shortage. Stop working people into an early grave for a wage that lets them barely scrape by, you'll get more people to sign up. Basic supply and demand.
Ummmmmmmmmmmm, these people were working before, under the same conditions.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm, these people were working before, under the same conditions.

No, those types of jobs have gotten worse and the pay has not gotten better.

No they won't. People would prefer to stay at home collecting money from the government without having to work. Why should they work when the government will take care of their lazy asses?

Is that what you want to do? Stay at home while the government takes care of you?

That's stupid. Companies that pay well aren't having problems that other companies are.

I specifically said a basic living wage which is not the same as a minimum wage although States or Provinces could establish a minimum wage that addresses the costs of basic living in their communities.
That tends to defeat the purpose of a minimum wage, which is to establish an entry level. Regardless, it very dependent on local conditions. One size does not fit all.

That's stupid. Companies that pay well aren't having problems that other companies are.
Why would you assume that? It's bass ackward.

Like anything else, smart decisions are what matter most. In competitive industries, higher pay can be an important element in worker loyalty, but it can also make a company unable to compete.

That tends to defeat the purpose of a minimum wage, which is to establish an entry level
If the purpose of a minimum wage is to establish an entry level salary, which I don't believe to be true, it has failed miserably. For many, many jobs it is the only wage paid regardless of tenure or experience.

Ummmmmmmmmmm, there is large unemployment of people sitting at home collecting checks while every single business and industry can't find workers. Good for you but one case out of millions doesn't mean anything.
No, my friend.. Not just ONE case! People need to work. We need to contribute. The people I know and grew up with in this area are just like me.

If the purpose of a minimum wage is to establish an entry level salary, which I don't believe to be true, it has failed miserably. For many, many jobs it is the only wage paid regardless of tenure or experience.
You make a strong case for doing away with it. ;)

More seriously, some jobs are entry level. The pay for the job does not change, but the worker advances to another job with better pay. Even five star restaurants have minimum wage busboys.

I can say that's bullocks. Nearly any fairly major company has higher wages available, you just may have to have the training, education or experience to get it.
If you are fine with an entry level position, it's likely you won't get paid much. You have to be willing to do the things to move up in the ladder.

I can say that's bullocks. Nearly any fairly major company has higher wages available, you just may have to have the training, education or experience to get it.
If you are fine with an entry level position, it's likely you won't get paid much. You have to be willing to do the things to move up in the ladder.
That presumes most minimum wage earners are working for major corporations with promotion opportunities. I don't believe thst to be true. I think most, by far, are working in menial jobs with no career path. I also don't think that most major companies pay minimum wage for entry level positions. Even Walmart pays higher than minimum wage for entry level positions.

That presumes most minimum wage earners are working for major corporations with promotion opportunities. I don't believe thst to be true. I think most, by far, are working in menial jobs with no career path. I also don't think that most major companies pay minimum wage for entry level positions. Even Walmart pays higher than minimum wage for entry level positions.
On what do you base that "most, by far, are working in menial jobs with no career path"? That is highly counter-intuitive.

The great majority of even modest sized companies have advancement potential. Even if one company has limited opportunities, there are other companies seeking people with experience. Not all benefits are tangible and a career paths may require changing companies.

You are right about one thing, most major companies have entry positions higher than minimum wage. This is not to say that all entry level jobs are higher.

Even WalMart has career opportunities, that they layout for you in black & white and what you have to do to achieve that. As well as educational opportunities for college that are very affordable to not use it. Of course, not every company perhaps.

Even WalMart has career opportunities, that they layout for you in black & white and what you have to do to achieve that. As well as educational opportunities for college that are very affordable to not use it. Of course, not every company perhaps.
That is not in dispute. The point is Walmart, and other large companies, do not pay minimum wage for entry-level jobs as both you and Jay assert. They start their entry-level positions well above minimum, wage. Minimum wage is NOT an entry-level wage for most, it is the wage paid to unskilled workers in menial jobs with very little chance of moving upward.

Amazon, Walmart, Target, Costco etc all pay more than minimum wage for entry level positions.

But but but Democrats say it is safe to open schools. If they can have open schools they can have open childcare. What's the difference?
LOL They need money to pay for childcare and that is what Biden is addressing. The one term mistakes "job growth" was nearly all in low paying jobs with $10.22 an hour salaries. MAGA!

NEARLY HALF OF US WORKERS HAVE LOW-PAYING JOBS​

JANUARY 15, 2020
The unemployment rate is at a 50-year low. But that doesn’t mean that workers are thriving. According to a recent analysis from The Brookings Institution, over half of U.S. workers hold low-paying jobs.
Per the report: “…53 million Americans between the ages of 18 to 64—accounting for 44% of all workers—qualify as ‘low-wage.’ Their median hourly wages are $10.22, and median annual earnings are about $18,000.”

https://www.payscale.com/career-news/2020/01/nearly-half-of-us-workers-have-low-paying-jobs

That is not in dispute. The point is Walmart, and other large companies, do not pay minimum wage for entry-level jobs as both you and Jay assert. They start their entry-level positions well above minimum, wage. Minimum wage is NOT an entry-level wage for most, it is the wage paid to unskilled workers in menial jobs with very little chance of moving upward.

Amazon, Walmart, Target, Costco etc all pay more than minimum wage for entry level positions.

NEARLY HALF OF US WORKERS HAVE LOW-PAYING JOBS​

Well let me be clear, Moderate Right: There is childcare. But the problem is that with it is that is often prohibitively expensive. And while schools have reopened, many districts have not. And even for the districts that have, they are not offering Summer School programs for the kids. So whether it is due to unaffordable childcare and/or lack of schooling, one parent is forced to stay home from work to care for the children.
We've had childcare for decades, if not centuries. Of course it cost money for childcare. Always has, always will. And many get a tax deduction expense for it.

Back
Top Bottom