• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden Denies Workers Are Turning Down Jobs to Collect Unemployment

You just need to understand what Joe is saying.

He's telling us that people aren't staying on unemployment because they make more that way than actually cooking fries. They are staying away from those jobs because the cheap bastard employers are refusing to pay $75k/yr for cooking fries.

See, this is what right wingers think of working class Americans. "SHUT UP AND ACCEPT YOUR PITTANCE, PLEBES. THANK US JOB CREATORS FOR YOUR GRUEL."

If businesses can't afford to pay enough to attract workers, they are failing businesses. By definition.

Yeah, Biden has created a bit of a "situation" he'll have to figure out how deal with. Paying people too much money to stay home and not work was not the best plan for preventing business closures and letting the market simply work as it could following the pandemic. Biden is a mess!

Everything Joe Mentia and his administration has touched has turned into a mess in just a little over 100 days. The good news is many states are shoring up their states with legislation in response to this mayhem that pretty much tells the Biden administration to go pound sand. And there are states filing lawsuits against the Biden administration that will end up in the Supreme Court. Several have already passed legislation not permitting the racist Critical Thinking Theory to be taught in their schools. Others have passed legislation not permitting biological males who identify as females to compete in girls sports. Others have filed lawsuits against the administration over the Keystone pipeline. And then there are others filing lawsuits against what is happening on the border. There are a growing number of states claiming they can not afford to take on the responsibility of the thousands of illegals being shipped across the country. A growing number are refusing to accept them. And as of today there have been a half dozen no longer allowing the bonus unemployment be issued to encourage people to get back to work.

I saw a McDonald's sign that read, "We give out two stimulus checks twice a month. Apply inside". That says it all.

See, this is what right wingers think of working class Americans. "SHUT UP AND ACCEPT YOUR PITTANCE, PLEBES. THANK US JOB CREATORS FOR YOUR GRUEL."

If businesses can't afford to pay enough to attract workers, they are failing businesses. By definition.
Do you think the Democrats should increase unemployment benefits even further to see how many more businesses they can get to fail?

Do you think the Democrats should increase unemployment benefits even further to see how many more businesses they can get to fail?
Your loaded question aside, I do not think increased unemployment benefits should be extended farther than they have been and there is not even a proposal on the table to do so. As is the case with most of the Right these days you are yammering for the sake of yammering.

He's telling us that people aren't staying on unemployment because they make more that way than actually cooking fries. They are staying away from those jobs because the cheap bastard employers are refusing to pay $75k/yr for cooking fries.
here is joe's spokesmodel
let her share joe's position with you:

Joey denies there is a border crisis going on too. We all know the truth on that one too.
In his eyes, it's not a crisis. It's precisely what he wanted and created. The longer it goes on, the more people that cross - the more he'll feel it's a success.

Read an interesting piece this AM. A great number of the complaints about not finding employees is coming from seasonal restaurants looking to ramp up for vacation travellers. Usually a substantial number of these are students from overseas but they can't travel to the States for Covid reasons and due to serious shortages of embassy staffs overseas. As you can well understand, people currently laid off or fired aren't interested in a short term job they are looking for permanent work. It also went on to say many previous restaurant workers are looking for non restaurant jobs because they are worried about Covid returning in the Fall and restaurants being closed again.

In his eyes, it's not a crisis. It's precisely what he wanted and created. The longer it goes on, the more people that cross - the more he'll feel it's a success.
Absurd...but go ahead....I am sure no post of logic will stop you. You folks went off the cliff edge completely on Nov 3rd for some mysterious reason and have been in free fall ever since.

Some simply want to ignore all the others factors these people, largely minimum wage earners, face in going back to work. Lack of child care, kids doing home learning, comfort with the safety of the workplace as examples. So easy when we judge from a position of comfort and likely have no one in our circle facing these issues......those of us whose worst problem is having to wear those annoying masks.
And the judgemental Republicans will reply, 'well if they hadn't made poor 'life choices' they wouldn't be a smug and entitled prick like me.'

And the judgemental Republicans will reply, 'well if they hadn't made poor 'life choices' they wouldn't be a smug and entitled prick like me
What's so ironic about that is it is precisely those people who supposedly made "poor life choices" who allow the "entitled" to enjoy the lifestyle they do, wait staff, hairdressers, lawn maintenance on and on. I am thankful and appreciative of the work they do and believe they are owed a basic living wage.

hey, kids! it's the Republican "the poor are lazy takers" V 2,890,762,295,896.3! be sure to upgrade now!
I didn't Joe was Republican. When did that happen. Does that mean the VP is Republican too?

Yes it is absolutely time to sue congress and the ALEC GOP for trillions in damages NOW!!!!!

They lied they lied they lied thus they owe we americans tons of money!!!!!!!
The tinfoil hat exclamation point explosion.

Don't exaggerate. It's only $35K for cooking fries.

That seems to be the plan. Trump left Biden a sound economy, but Joe is trying hard to undo it.

Biden's new clothes have been threadbare for a while.

What's so ironic about that is it is precisely those people who supposedly made "poor life choices" who allow the "entitled" to enjoy the lifestyle they do, wait staff, hairdressers, lawn maintenance on and on. I am thankful and appreciative of the work they do and believe they are owed a basic living wage.
I can agree with that as long as you agree that minimum wage and living wage are two very different topics.

I'm shocked that during a global pandemic with a deadly airborne virus people aren't applying in drove to work in mostly indoor places where people can take off their masks to eat/drink, act like jerks, and you still have to kiss ass serving them hoping to get a couple bucks in tips. Shocked, I say!

can agree with that as long as you agree that minimum wage and living wage are two very different topics.
I specifically said a basic living wage which is not the same as a minimum wage although States or Provinces could establish a minimum wage that addresses the costs of basic living in their communities.

$600 dollars a week is not enough to live on much less turn down a good job.

Biden does know what workers are doing and BS lying anti american right wing nuts sure as hell don't know. These creeps get on a rant that some political rhetoric team sent out then keep repeating it as if it is true.
The single largest crime family on planet earth is ALEC hiding behind the GOP name thus both become a
crime family.

it seems like it should be a crime to make crime legal.
that depends on where you live.

I had the choice of continuing to collect unemployment and live on my severance. I preferred to take a straight commission sales job and be productive instead. By the way, I'm totally crushing it on my sales volume.
Kudos to you! Good on you.
Oh, by the way, I'm a proud liberal. You see? We like to work, too!
Never doubted it for a minute. ;)

Joey denies there is a border crisis going on too. We all know the truth on that one too.
And the mainstream media strangely disinterested in 'Speaking Truth To Power' and 'Holding the Nation's Leaders Accountable'. 🤬

Can you post a link to back this idiocy up?

Read an interesting piece this AM. A great number of the complaints about not finding employees is coming from seasonal restaurants looking to ramp up for vacation travellers. Usually a substantial number of these are students from overseas but they can't travel to the States for Covid reasons and due to serious shortages of embassy staffs overseas. As you can well understand, people currently laid off or fired aren't interested in a short term job they are looking for permanent work. It also went on to say many previous restaurant workers are looking for non restaurant jobs because they are worried about Covid returning in the Fall and restaurants being closed again.

There was a similar piece yesterday evening at one of my local news sources. It focused on the restaurant/hospitality industries locally, and the point was made that unemployment benefits are good enough not to motivate people to return to work.

A member of my household works for a winery with an upscale restaurant that has branches in other parts of my state. In between layoffs and furloughs and mandatory drug-testing and across job positions, they can't find anybody--not maintenance people, production line folks, vineyard workers, dishwashers, or servers. They're struggling to keep going and participated in a virtual community-wide job fair last week. Not one potential hire showed up, and I don't mean just for the winery--I mean, not one person showed up period to participate in the job fair. Not even one.

There was a similar piece yesterday evening at one of my local news sources. It focused on the restaurant/hospitality industries locally, and the point was made that unemployment benefits are good enough not to motivate people to return to work.

A member of my household works for a winery with an upscale restaurant that has branches in other parts of my state. In between layoffs and furloughs and mandatory drug-testing and across job positions, they can't find anybody--not maintenance people, production line folks, vineyard workers, dishwashers, or servers. They're struggling to keep going and participated in a virtual community-wide job fair last week. Not one potential hire showed up, and I don't mean just for the winery--I mean, not one person showed up period to participate in the job fair. Not even one.
Hardly surprising given that a pandemic is still raging. People simply don't want to risk getting infected. Similarly in the UK where we're expecting lockdown restrictions to be eased next week, the hospitality industry is crying out for staff.

Hardly surprising given that a pandemic is still raging. People simply don't want to risk getting infected. Similarly in the UK where we're expecting lockdown restrictions to be eased next week, the hospitality industry is crying out for staff.

Oh, I believe it. People aren't traveling or eating out the way they used to, so the hospitality industry's hurting makes sense. But it's more than that, at least in my community. I don't wish to link, so I will paraphrase what a local Hilton manager was quoted in the source I referred to above. He talks about people who apply but fail to show up for interviews or are just no-call/no-show, and he says a big part of this is the enhanced federal unemployment benefits and claims that workers are able to stay home and draw in more money than from going to work.

What I found most interesting is his statement that this is creating a weird new culture for our society. I don't know whether this is true, but if so, I wonder what the consequences will be.

Yeah, Biden has created a bit of a "situation" he'll have to figure out how deal with. Paying people too much money to stay home and not work was not the best plan for preventing business closures and letting the market simply work as it could following the pandemic. Biden is a mess!

This is so ridiculous. People are staying home because it is still unsafe to engage as we did pre pandemic.

Get to 85% vaccination rate and watch the people flock back to work.

Let's face it, the worker shortage is in the service industry, those that face the public each day like waitresses. Are ready to interreact with unvaccinated mask less folks all day? I sure as hell am not.

Back
Top Bottom