• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Attorney General Merrick Garland expected to name special counsel in Trump criminal probe, report says

Actually, he does. The SM stated in court, either Trump produces evidence of declassification or the DOJ's primae facia case that the documents are still classified is how it is.

Trump's "order" is impotent if it was not carried out. There are protocols that Trump's underlings have to follow in order to carry out his order. Those procedures were never carried out. Now you can bitch slap someone for not following orders, but that doesn’t mean the documents are declassified.
Actually the search warrant for Mar el Lago intentionally did NOT mention whether or not they were looking for classified documents. ALL presidential records are the property of the government. NONE belong to the outgoing president-classified or not.

Btw, I just discovered that the Special Counsel will also be investigating the January 6 insurrection.
Kettle corn anyone?

This will slow things down. You have hand it to Trump, no one knows how to game the system like Trump. On the hand, it neuters any argument (as idiotic as it is) that DoJ is pursuing Trump for political purposes.
Well..... that's the upside. Pun intended.
Barr didn't "kill" Mueller, just his report. Garland didn't kill Durham, vague memory it's been so long but I think that's his name ;). I think this is the best move. The GOP won't be able to get at him as easy as it will be to get Garland. On the other hand will this drag things out?
The SP says he will be expeditious. Maybe/hopefully he will be.
Here we go again. Trump announces and the investigations start up. They did this since 2015 and yet they have failed to prove criminal acts despite all their claims. Are democrats that afraid that Trump will not only run but will be the nominee and win the election. That's certainly what it looks like.
This Democrat hopes he is the Republican nominee. But, this makes it less likely. (After all, Trump used the "Hillary will be prosecuted" tactic to good advantage).
Sounds like the 6JAN Committee fading away isn’t going to matter…..
Ha! Trump wants to be in the spotlight doesn't he. Well, he's going to get that.
Interesting that he is charged with issues involving election interference and interference with the electoral process but NOT anything to do with events of the day of January 6th.....ie the riots. That stays with the regular DOJ.
IMO, that's too complicated and time consuming. The classified documents case and the Georgia (and other states) election interference case are much simpler and possible to handle on a short timeline.
I refuse to get my hopes up again.
Oh, come on. There is always hope.
The documents case will be a slam dunk. It is the easiest case to bring and prove. There is nothing political about it: Trump took the documents, did not return them when asked and failed to comply with a subpoena. His obstructing the 2020 election process is a bit trickier, but I suspect he faces charges on both fronts.

Again, it would be a dereliction of duty to their oaths of office to look the other way on this and not prosecute.
Agree. Garland gave Smith the quick and easy prosecutions.

Of course...

Got to keep Trump from releasing unclassified documents that prove DOJ/FBI corruption.
Yeah, because Trump has been sitting on those documents, reluctant to release them for fear of compromising confidence in the agencies he has already compared to Nazi Germany.
Is that your point?

Yeah, because Trump has been sitting on those documents, reluctant to release them for fear of compromising confidence in the agencies he has already compared to Nazi Germany.
Is that your point?
No.

You really should read the thread before spouting off with nonsense.

"Garland’s move could tamp down concerns that he would have a conflict of interest if he were the one to decide whether Trump should be proecuted. The attorney general was appointed by President Joe Biden, a Democrat who defeated Trump in his 2020 re-election bid."

Smart
The people who Garland would need to persuade that he is being impartial will just cry "witch hunt" anyway.

Forreal just who is the audience for this move?

The people who Garland would need to persuade that he is being impartial will just cry "witch hunt" anyway.

Forreal just who is the audience for this move?
The GOP. Now they can't do squat to stop the investigations or prosecutions.

Are you really not aware that Trump ordered a slew of documents declassified and released to the public?
How would anyone else be aware of something that happened only in his own mind?

The pundits are saying that Garland would not appoint an SC if he did not believe indictments were inevitable. If they were not going to press charges there would be no need for the hand off .

The pundits are saying that Garland would not appoint an SC if he did not believe indictments were inevitable. If they were not going to press charges there would be no need for the hand off .
That makes a lot of sense.
For the record I prefer neither Trump or Biden run or win the nomination. Appointing a special counsel (once again just as he announces his candidacy) I'm concerned it will make Trump sympathetic and more determined than ever. I wonder if this decision was made because of the house going to the Republicans...or because of it?

Ironically if they are able to force Trump not to run or diminish him significantly, it clears the way for Desantis who is a much better candidate!

I think they have enough evidence for a slam dunk prosecution.
Trump had Top Secret documents in a hotel.
That's not allowed and we all know it's not allowed and yet some people are denying that simple truth.

I just stated...in so many words...that the DOJ is doing this for political purposes.
Well no they aren't. You are just seeing what might stick.

Must be very confusing not being able to distinguish reality from fantasy. I don't how it is you are able get through the day.

If Trump releases the information while there is an investigation going on, he'll be charged with obstruction of justice.

The Mueller investigation stopped him.
The Durham investigation stopped him.
And now, this Garland special counsel will stop him.
Lol this is ****ing stupid

Sounds more like a punt, to me.
Jesus you guys are exhausting..
Before trump announced on the 14th he was a private citizen.
Now he is a political one again. Thus the need for a SC.

None of this changes the facts that he took docs and obstructed the doj for over a year.

Remove all the noise from the likes of mycroft and those folks.

Did he take docs? Yes
Did he lie to the fbi and doj? Yes
Did he obstruct and ignore nara? Yes

Back
Top Bottom