• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Attorney General Merrick Garland expected to name special counsel in Trump criminal probe, report says

Phys251

Purge evil with Justice
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
The point of a special counsel is to be an unbiased investigator. I'm not sure who the target demographic for this gesture is, though.

But if it ends up being Mueller I'll be tuning out politics forever.

"Garland’s move could tamp down concerns that he would have a conflict of interest if he were the one to decide whether Trump should be proecuted. The attorney general was appointed by President Joe Biden, a Democrat who defeated Trump in his 2020 re-election bid."

Smart

Of course...

Got to keep Trump from releasing unclassified documents that prove DOJ/FBI corruption.
If the man who constantly cries witch hunt and persecution has evidence of malfeasance by the FBI you'd think he'd have released it by now.

Your guy isn't a victim and he's also not playing 4d chess, the stuff he's ALREADY admitted to makes him guilty as sin and would have landed any of us regular peons in Leavenworth already.

If the man who constantly cries witch hunt and persecution has evidence of malfeasance by the FBI you'd think he'd have released it by now.
He hasn't been able to for the past 4 years.

Of course...

Got to keep Trump from releasing unclassified documents that prove DOJ/FBI corruption.
This will slow things down. You have hand it to Trump, no one knows how to game the system like Trump. On the hand, it neuters any argument (as idiotic as it is) that DoJ is pursuing Trump for political purposes.

This will slow things down. You have hand it to Trump, no one knows how to game the system like Trump. On the hand, it neuters any argument (as idiotic as it is) that DoJ is pursuing Trump for political purposes.
I just stated...in so many words...that the DOJ is doing this for political purposes.

The point of a special counsel is to be an unbiased investigator. I'm not sure who the target demographic for this gesture is, though.

But if it ends up being Mueller I'll be tuning out politics forever.
let's go with john durham, then

Garland had fair warning about Trump’s 15NOV announcement?

Welp this is just gonna ****ing take forever until a Republican AG arrives and kills it
Barr didn't "kill" Mueller, just his report. Garland didn't kill Durham, vague memory it's been so long but I think that's his name ;). I think this is the best move. The GOP won't be able to get at him as easy as it will be to get Garland. On the other hand will this drag things out?

Garland names special counsel to lead Trump-related probes of Mar-a-Lago docs, Jan. 6​

Novembrer 18, 2022

WASHINGTON (AP) — Attorney General Merrick Garland named a special counsel on Friday to oversee the Justice Department's investigation into the presence of classified documents at former President Donald Trump's Florida estate as well as key aspects of a separate probe involving the Jan. 6 insurrection and efforts to undo the 2020 election.
The move, which is being announced just three days after Trump announced his 2024 candidacy, is a recognition of the unmistakable political implications of two investigations that involve not only a former president but also a current White House hopeful.

Though the appointment installs a new supervisor atop the probes — both of which are expected to accelerate now that the midterm elections are complete — the special counsel will still report to Garland, who has ultimate say of whether to bring charges.

A senior Justice Department official disclosed the appointment on Friday but did not reveal the identity of the special counsel. Garland was expected to provide more details later in the afternoon.

If Trump releases the information while there is an investigation going on, he'll be charged with obstruction of justice.

The Mueller investigation stopped him.
The Durham investigation stopped him.
And now, this Garland special counsel will stop him.

Back
Top Bottom