• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Artist of golden Trump sculpture strikes back at liberal critics: 'This is not an idol'

Bingo, now you know the basis to ask him the question.
If 'bingo' is a YES, then you are sadly mistaken. My next door neighbor, and good friend, a staunch Trump supporter called it the "worst monstrocity of an 'idol' he had ever seen." He and I both had a good laugh about his remark.

Are American conservatives okay with using the flag to cover your ass, or is it only okay if It's Trumps ass?

Remember what they did to this guy for wearing an American flag shirt?

Abbie Hoffman flag shirt.jpg

When the judge declared him guilty, Abbie uttered the immortal words, “I only regret that I have but one shirt to give for my country.” <snip>

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-trial-of-abbie-hoffma_b_2334

But, yes. Without a doubt. In the holy-roller world, the golden colored Trump statute meets every definition and requirement to be considered a graven image and those who admire it are the perfect example of the " idol worshippers," as described in the "Holy Bible."

And, according to the psalmist and the prophet Isaiah, those who worship inanimate idols will be like them, that is, unseeing, unfeeling, unable to hear the truth that God would communicate to them. <---- That there. I think that pretty much sums up the Cult of Trump, wouldn't you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou_shalt_not_make_unto_thee_any_graven_image#:~:text=According to the psalmist and,God would communicate to them.

Exodus 20:4
“You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

Acts 17:29
Being then God's offspring, we ought not to think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and imagination of man.

Exodus 20:1-26
And God spoke all these words, saying, “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. “You shall have no other gods before me. “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me,

Isaiah 42:8
I am the Lord; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols.

There are more......

But I think you get my point.

From a churchy, self-righteous, holier-than-thou point of view, one cannot deny or get around the religious "fact" (oxymoron) that the golden graven image of Dear leader Donald Trump, is an affront to God.

But here's the thing. Your daddy's G.O.P., full of religious rightwing hypocrites, always claiming the godly moral high-ground is long-gone, dead and buried. The new GOPQ could care less about all that churchy bullshit. They worship Trump and if you don't like it, you can suck on it.

Myself? I think the whole idea that idol worship, worshiping gods, angels, virgins, whatever... to be archaic and down right silly to begin with. So, I really could care less if the morons who worship Trump, worship Trump. I simply do not care.

I watched CPAC today and plan to watch it in moments. I did not see that statue at all.
It's in route to Moscow. Putin took it, and reduced it's value off of Trump's tab.

Honest to God there is not a single aspect of that pile of crap art that I can contextualize in a way that results in a positive comment on any of it, any part of it, or the whole as art. I simply do not know why the artist simply didn't take a pick ax to it upon completion as a failure. The artist is the guy that should be utterly appalled at his creation. I am embarrassed for him though he appears not to be embarrassed for himself.
I think the American Conservative Union deserves some of the criticism, allowing their "conference" to be the site for the display of this ridiculous statue. I'm sure Donald and his family will love it!

Yes, it is an idiol. He cannot redefine the word because of his opinions. That is not a work of art. The fact that it is in gold and copper is proof that it is an idol.

When this comes from an artist, it IS art. Your attempt to change the view of the artists vision, is politics.

Rarely, but this statue really is terrible. Imagine a golden statue of Obama at a Democrat function, how would you view that?
That the closet atheist democrats were replacing God with Obama would be the TOP talking point.

When this comes from an artist, it IS art. Your attempt to change the view of the artists vision, is politics.

Interesting. Because I frequently hear Conservatives tell me “Piss Christ” is blasphemous and offensive to Christians even though the artist Andres Serrano is himself a Catholic and calls the piece beautiful.

:LOL:
I did not see it as an idol. No more than statues of FDR are an idol. I imagine one can locate Statues of Obama. Should we call his statue an idol worship?

depends.
Would a statue of Obama or FDR show up at a political rally?

Interesting. Because I frequently hear Conservatives tell me “Piss Christ” is blasphemous and offensive to Christians even though the artist Andres Serrano is himself a Catholic and calls the piece beautiful.

That's not to say it's offensive art to some.

I did not see it as an idol. No more than statues of FDR are an idol. I imagine one can locate Statues of Obama. Should we call his statue an idol worship?

Up is down and down, up in Trumpland. Much like the skies are not blue and facts have alternatives. It is an idol, regardless how loud the Right protests that it is not.

But he will love it!
Trump will love that there is statue of him made of GOLD, but hate that it looks incredibly silly, and accuse the person who made it for not having class.

Honestly, this is a person trying to make himself a name (and earning some money) by creating something truly distastful and kitschy of a very controversial man.

In the 60th artists like this framed dog shit and in the 2010th they made Muhammad caricatures.

The guy has 456 followers on Twitter. He truly needs some publicity

Trump will love that there is statue of him made of GOLD, but hate that it looks incredibly silly, and accuse the person who made it for not having class.
And he be right...

And he be right...
Havre you seen Trump Tower and Mar-a-lago. They are not what I would call tastefully decorated or classy.

Havre you seen Trump Tower and Mar-a-lago. They are not what I would call tastefully decorated or classy.
Trump has no class, but he'd see a statue that makes him look silly as a statue that makes him look silly, and hate it.

So maybe he will find the statue incredibly tasty ?

It's a poor reprsentive of Benedict Donald; it's ass is to small, stomic too flat, tRump never smiles and the tie is too short. But, it looks like and idol to me.

That statue is awful and being real here, having an effigy of Trump that is golden in color was bound to make people think immediately of the Biblical golden calf. I can’t really blame people for calling it an idol.

Not to mention the fact that he put it in shorts, so everyone would notice the golden calves :LOL: [Credit: Some random comment on a news page.]

But it is an idol.

Back
Top Bottom