• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Artist of golden Trump sculpture strikes back at liberal critics: 'This is not an idol'

Robertinfremont

Photo of me taken in the Army 1963
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I did not see it as an idol. No more than statues of FDR are an idol. I imagine one can locate Statues of Obama. Should we call his statue an idol worship?

ORLANDO, Florida — The artist who created a 6-foot golden sculpture of former President Donald Trump — an immensely popular attraction at the Conservative Political Action Conference — bristled when liberal news media and other Trump foes compared it to the “golden calf” in the Bible.

The critics made the case that like in the story of the golden calf in Exodus, conservatives worshiped the false idol of Trumpism and turned away from the teachings of traditional Republican values.

“This is not an idol,” said the sculptor, Tommy Zegan, the son of missionaries, a former youth pastor and graduate of the Moody Bible Institute in Chicago who now works as an artist with a studio in Rosarito Beach, Mexico

I did not see it as an idol. No more than statues of FDR are an idol. I imagine one can locate Statues of Obama. Should we call his statue an idol worship?

Yes, it is an idiol. He cannot redefine the word because of his opinions. That is not a work of art. The fact that it is in gold and copper is proof that it is an idol.

What is the difference between Idol and statue?
is that idol is a graven image or representation of anything that is revered, or believed to convey spiritual power while statue is a three-dimensional work of art, usually representing a person or animal, usually created by sculpting, carving, molding, or casting.

Are American conservatives okay with using the flag to cover your ass, or is it only okay if It's Trumps ass?

Are American conservatives okay with using the flag to cover your ass, or is it only okay if It's Trumps ass?

(a)
The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

(b)
The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

(c)
The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

(d)
The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery.
It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker’s desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

That statue is awful and being real here, having an effigy of Trump that is golden in color was bound to make people think immediately of the Biblical golden calf. I can’t really blame people for calling it an idol.

I've brought this up in a couple threads and not a single rightist has replied.
Come to think, some of them might well be willing to pledge allegiance to Trumps beach shorts.

edit- Aaand having said that, a right winger replies with the correct answer.

Bill Kristol just became my favorite conservative, he is quick at repartee! From your article:

Neoconservative commentator and outspoken Trump critic Bill Kristol made the comparison but then took it back in a tweet:

“I retract my earlier comparison of this to the golden calf as unfair to the ancient Israelites. For one thing, their calf was real gold, and for another a calf is (I think—not that I have much personal experience with them) a pleasant and peaceful animal,” he wrote.

That statue is awful and being real here, having an effigy of Trump that is golden in color was bound to make people think immediately of the Biblical golden calf. I can’t really blame people for calling it an idol.
Honest to God there is not a single aspect of that pile of crap art that I can contextualize in a way that results in a positive comment on any of it, any part of it, or the whole as art. I simply do not know why the artist simply didn't take a pick ax to it upon completion as a failure. The artist is the guy that should be utterly appalled at his creation. I am embarrassed for him though he appears not to be embarrassed for himself.

He can bristle all he wants but someone who has the history and education in Christianity that he has should have recognized the obvious comparison. I don’t have an artistic bone in my body but if I did and I was making something like that specifically for people to interact with, I’d worry that I was effectively constructing an idol even if that wasn’t my intent.

He can bristle all he wants but someone who has the history and education in Christianity that he has should have recognized the obvious comparison. I don’t have an artistic bone in my body but if I did and I was making something like that specifically for people to interact with, I’d worry that I was effectively constructing an idol even if that wasn’t my intent.
Do you agree with the Democrats?

On Statues? Depends on how the Artist uses his art.

Recall that to a Democrat, feces in a jar is called art.

Honest to God there is not a single aspect of that pile of crap art that I can contextualize in a way that results in a positive comment on any of it, any part of it, or the whole as art. I simply do not know why the artist simply didn't take a pick ax to it upon completion as a failure. The artist is the guy that should be utterly appalled at his creation. I am embarrassed for him though he appears not to be embarrassed for himself.

I understand if he was trying to create something meant to be lighthearted and fun and selfie worthy but yeah, that was, at best, ill advised. I literally cringed when I first saw a pic of it.

Trump neither crafted it nor sought the statue.

Rarely, but this statue really is terrible. Imagine a golden statue of Obama at a Democrat function, how would you view that?

I watched CPAC today and plan to watch it in moments. I did not see that statue at all.

Bill Kristol just became my favorite conservative, he is quick at repartee! From your article:

Neoconservative commentator and outspoken Trump critic Bill Kristol made the comparison but then took it back in a tweet:

“I retract my earlier comparison of this to the golden calf as unfair to the ancient Israelites. For one thing, their calf was real gold, and for another a calf is (I think—not that I have much personal experience with them) a pleasant and peaceful animal,” he wrote.

Not to mention a delicious animal.

The Rump paid the person to do it ........ that's my speculation.

I consider the Washington Times and New York Post relatives of Fox News

Back
Top Bottom