• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arpaio sending posse to look after schools

What a brilliant idea - let's rehabilitate ex-convicts by giving them guns and putting them in schools.

Seriously? This is something you're seriously advocating?
Why shouldn't a man who has paid his debt to society be trusted?

What makes you so trusting as to disbelieve that all sorts of undesirables will take advantage of this?
Ooohhh...look who sounds like a Right-Wing anti-gub'mint nutball now. Has your paranoia towards authority inspired you to start collecting weapons yet, or are you still in the "lock myself in the house" phase?
Hell, if I wanted to commit a school shooting, I'd 'volunteer' my services just to have a reason to be there with a gun.
What would be your excuse for the tin-foil hat, though?

Ooohhh...look who sounds like a Right-Wing anti-gub'mint nutball now. Has your paranoia towards authority inspired you to start collecting weapons yet, or are you still in the "lock myself in the house" phase?

Are you dumb?
I self-identify as libertarian.

Suffice it to say you have no answer, though. Whatever feels good, right, maaaaaaaaaan?

Why shouldn't a man who has paid his debt to society be trusted?

Because it's a dumbass, vapid 'policy' designed to make people feel better about something fundamentally outside of their control, and will inevitably make the situation worse, as most feel-good policies do.

What a brilliant idea - let's rehabilitate ex-convicts by giving them guns and putting them in schools.

Seriously? This is something you're seriously advocating?
What and there's no criminals in National Guard? You want to place so much trust in the National Guard even-though we have ex-cons also. AND we use assault rifles and machine guns, the posse would be using hand guns and regular rifles. Take an ex-con and put him in camo and a machine gun and you trust that ex-con with your life, but put that exact same ex-con in jeans and t-shirt and replace that machine gun with a pistol and all of sudden he's a menace to society?

You're not making any sense at all.

If they pass the Sheriff's standards then they're good by me.

Last edited:
Sheriff Joe Arpaio proposes organizing armed volunteers to patrol school zones

Joe Arpaio, sheriff of Maricopa County, Ariz., has chimed in with an idea to prevent school shootings like the recent attack on an elementary school in Newtown, Conn.The controversial sheriff, who’s raised his national profile by aggressively enforcing immigration laws and embracing tough-on-prisoners measures like chain gangs, wants to organize groups of armed volunteers to patrol the perimeters of schools in his county, which includes the city of Phoenix, the Associated Press reported.

"No cost to taxpayers, they furnish their own equipment, they do not receive any salary," Arpaio explained in an interview with KTVK-TV on Thursday, Fox News reported.

He’s already assembled a posse of gun-toting volunteers who’ve been patrolling shopping malls during the holiday season, Fox News reported.

Read more @: Sheriff Joe Arpaio proposes organizing armed volunteers to patrol school zones | GlobalPost

Anybody has any thoughts on this?

If they pass the Sheriff's standards then they're good by me.

"If they pass the President's standards then they're good by me."

This really is just about making yourself feel better, isn't it?

Because it's a dumbass, vapid 'policy' designed to make people feel better about something fundamentally outside of their control, and will inevitably make the situation worse, as most feel-good policies do.

Do you have any evidence to back this up?

"If they pass the President's standards then they're good by me."

This really is just about making yourself feel better, isn't it?
Who are you quoting?

I have thought this through by participating in this thread today. I think even if it has worked in the Malls for years, it is a bad idea ot post armed deputies in and aorund schools with guns. For the same reason I think it would have been a bad idea to post vets. Something almost for sure would happen someday. It merely sounds all warm and fuzzy.

Re: Sheriff Joe Arpaio proposes organizing armed volunteers to patrol school zones

Is the issue at hand keeping children safe? If so that looks like a no brainer low cost solution that impacts no one but volunteers and would be killers.

Utah has a group that offers free training to teachers so they can carry; over 200 attended the last class.

Do you have any evidence to back this up?

No more evidence than Arpaio does in fearing a school shooting in his district. But, anecdotally, taking known criminals, giving them weapons, deputizing them, and putting them in schools is probably going to be a bad idea.

Who are you quoting?

Your train-of-logic, or what passes for it. If it's good enough for the Sheriff, why not Federalize this programme?

Because it's a pointless exercise in making ourselves feel good, whether it's run locally or by the Federal government.

Moderator's Warning:
Threads merged

You've just defeated your own point. The "organized" militia - the National Guard - has the proper legal purview to oversee something like this (not that that's a good idea, either). The "unorganized" militia is nothing more than the great masses of average citizens who possess firearms and who can be called upon to defend their homes in the event of an invasion.

That's it.

The "unorganized militia" has no more right to police schools than do street gangs. They certainly ought not be drafted into some ass-backwards idea to police schools that are basically under no threat of violence (how many schools, of the thousands in the nation, have ever seen a shooting? What fraction of one percent?).

A Posse IS organized militia. It is organized by the Sheriff of the county or parish as the case may be. A Sheriff by law and tradition has had these powers for quite some time since before the start of the country. It is a VERY legal and proper power utilized by the Sheriff and the Sheriff has every right by said law to organize said posse to to protect the county or parish as they see fit. The law is VERY much on the side of the Sheriff.

No more evidence than Arpaio does in fearing a school shooting in his district. But, anecdotally, taking known criminals, giving them weapons, deputizing them, and putting them in schools is probably going to be a bad idea.

I am a known criminal. Whats the problem with me having gun? I've served my time, paid my dues. Never even fought my charges on purpose because I knew that what I did was wrong.

Shouldn't I have the right to protect my childrens school while both he and she is are in it?

So.....if you ever - even once - got ****faced, puking drunk we should take your car keys and throw them in the lake because you now have a proven propensity for irresponsible behavior which could endanger other motorists if you were allowed to drive?:doh

Your train-of-logic, or what passes for it. If it's good enough for the Sheriff, why not Federalize this program?
We already have federal police, such as the US Marshals Service. And each state has a State Police. And each city or Township has a local police organisation. THis local Sheriff wants to make a posse for his local aria. Why would he need the US Marshals Service involved?

Because it's a pointless exercise in making ourselves feel good, whether it's run locally or by the Federal government.
Until we're talking about mental illness, and not any kind of weapon or any position on weapons, it's all a feel-good measure.

Ya know what? We, the Unorganized militia, need to tell the government this:

middle-finger.jpg

... and then just start protecting our schools with armed volunteers from the community, whether DC likes it or not.

****ing government just creates more problems these days instead of solving them. You want to stop an armed lunatic? Best way to stop him is with another armed man, or three.

I'm about ready to hoist the mother****ing gadsden flag and tell Washington to eat a dick anyway....

I am not only unorganized, I am well regulated.

Arpaio has lots of detractors including some in the media who like nothing better than to use their platform to take jabs at him. The fact of the matter is that posse volunteers handle all kinds of work including administrative, research, search and rescue, etc. Not all of those jobs require a pristine record and, frankly, I think it would be a good bit unfair to condemn a person to a lifetime label of "criminal" just because he got caught with a gram of coke 10 years earlier.
This the difference between you and I, if a person cannot meet the basic requirements that all other MCSO officers have passed (a basic criminal background check) and are in a position of responsibility (you know , like handling a gun around a school zone.....or as you suggest, handling administrative duties, ie MCSO data), then sorry, this is just another in a long line of screw-ups by Sheriff Joke.

And I'll give you another hint, Arpaio has lots of detractors BECAUSE of the hundreds of millions that he has cost the county in legal payouts for the needless deaths, injuries and absolute malfeasance committed while in command of the jails and office. His reign has been an stain upon the county, he is an international embarrassment....and he proves time and again that there are just enough nuts in the county to hold on to the seat.

I was born and raised in the Phx area, there are a lot of things I miss but I thank god that I don't pay county tax dollars to support him.

Of all the people I know, only one is an ex-felon for possession of drugs from an era when his crimes were felonies and today would have been misdemeanors.

Nobody in my network is more honest, more reliable, more loyal, more generous or more likely to take a bullet to protect others. Yet he is condemned for life to be derided as a criminal.

As a group, many of us are old gits. We're neither stupid nor senile. You'd be lucky to have us as friends and lucky to have us protecting your children.
Funny, all you have is anecdotal evidence as (what, part-time, out of the county?) member of the posse while living in Vegas...and you have zero to refute the news that felons are allowed to serve in the posse?

Talk about a blind eye.

What better way to rehabilitate a criminal who's paid their debt to society then to get them involved with positive civil service?

Or were you assuming that criminals don't already drop their children off at your child's school?
Yes...yes...lets assume they are reformed....with that assumption lets assume all who want to serve in the posse....or even the MCSO....should be able to....without any background check.

Hell, lets go further, forget any requirements for service, we don't need to even check to see if you are a citizen.

Let them buy a gun, a brown shirt uniform, give them a county vehicle to use and direct them to that nearest elementary school.

Good grief.

Last edited:
Seems you are the blind one.

I made a pretty specific point. I said nothing about any posse members. Your attack on older people was rude and insulting. Your generic condemnation of your elders was all I was responding to.

If anything, I was defending your "git" parents from being insulted by young, hyper-partisan punks who attack them for nothing more than being older and wiser than you.

Funny, all you have is anecdotal evidence as (what, part-time, out of the county?) member of the posse while living in Vegas...and you have zero to refute the news that felons are allowed to serve in the posse?

Talk about a blind eye.

This looks like the perfect solution.

We don't even need to pay for it as long as we can find community volunteers like George Zimmerman to patrol the schools looking for troublemakers.

We must, however, make sure that our community volunteers are at least as well armed as the bad guys. I'd suggest fully automatic weapons for them.

Back
Top Bottom