• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arizona Legislature Passes Bill Requiring Proof Of US Citizenship To Vote

What is even worse is Arizona House Bill 2780.
-Under Kavanagh’s bill, county recorders would be required to post a list of the names and addresses of all eligible voters on the county’s website 10 days before primary and general elections. That list would include both active and inactive voters.
-The bill would also require all ballot images to be published, along with a way to link those ballot images to the post-election publication of voters names.
(So much for secret or private ballot voting)

How many here would like to see your name and address published along with how you voted (early , mail in, at the polls)
More importantly how many would like your ballot posted on the net for all to see how you voted.

I swear something must be in the water that some of my fellow Republicans drink. This is getting nuts.

Sorry, but you don’t seem to grasp the law. Since 1980, the US has granted asylum to thousands of people who passed through “third countries,” as they are called, to seek asylum here, much as other countries have granted asylum to people who pass through third countries. Canada had a reputation some years ago of sheltering Sri Lankan’s during the persecution there, who obviously didn’t go there directly. I worked on Iranian cases, cases from various African countries, and few of those came here directly. As to people who fled Central America, there is no obligation - none - that a young teen, a woman, a senior, or a world class athlete stay and kill or die to change their country. And many do NOT choose to come here, but shelter elsewhere in their country, flee to other nearby countries, and, as you suggest, hide out in Mexico. Mexicans sheltering these people recommended that they go to Monterrey, a northern industrial city where they might get work and not be discovered. I must confess that I don’t know Mexico’s asylum system. In the past it’s military forced some Guatemalans back and they were killed upon their return, but that was some time ago. Mexico has a reputation of sheltering prominent exiles. As a practical matter, people often tended to chose where to run based on where a relative or friend wound up. As a legal matter, the US is prohibited from returning people to danger.
So if 1/2 billion Chinese want to come here and claim asylum along with 1/2 billion people from India we cannot send them back. All they have to do is claim asylum and they can circumvent our immigration policy. I guess we need to send a message to all the people around the world that live in horrible countries with leaders that put their people in fear of their lives to stop wasting their time trying to immigrate here but just head on over. Once you get here and claim asylum we can't send you back. This clearly sounds like a lefty policy. The democratic party clearly puts everyone else first instead of the American people.

Who said anything about “do their fighting”? These people are specifically fleeing so that they and their families aren’t murdered by death squads and brutal tyrants. You feeling victimized by the fact they aren’t willing to be slaughtered is your own problem, nobody else’s.

Especially since those fighting against thugs like Assad don’t have the advantages the US military has.

Once again, it takes a special kind of ignorance to rant and rave about how people escaping death squads “don’t deserve freedom” because they aren’t willing to let their families be burned alive.
Not so. I am not a democrat who support the likes of Saddam insane. I think we need to remove these evil rulers and their death squads. But we cannot take in everyone in the world because they do not have the courage to fight for what is right and their freedom. All that will accomplish is we will no longer be the land of the free because we no longer be the home of the brave.

You do realize that the Harlem Hellfighters, despite “fighting for freedom”, wouldn’t see a shred of that freedom for the next four decades or so?

If anything, after the brief safe haven of reconstruction the oppression African Americans faced was every bit as bad, with the late 1910s and early 1920s being particularly bad.

So spare us the talking points, all you are revealing is how colossally ignorant you are.
No you are the ignorant fool that failed to see that they not only fought but did not run. They persevered and are still willing to fight and die for this country their freedom. I served with them in the military. They do not run except towards the people that need to stopped.

So if 1/2 billion Chinese want to come here and claim asylum along with 1/2 billion people from India we cannot send them back. All they have to do is claim asylum and they can circumvent our immigration policy. I guess we need to send a message to all the people around the world that live in horrible countries with leaders that put their people in fear of their lives to stop wasting their time trying to immigrate here but just head on over. Once you get here and claim asylum we can't send you back. This clearly sounds like a lefty policy. The democratic party clearly puts everyone else first instead of the American people.
Not at all. Each person has to show that they are at risk of individual persecution based on one of five grounds: race, religion, nationality, membership in a social group, or political opinion. Their claim is assessed on the credibility of their statement as it conforms to particular conditions in a country. This conforms to the definition as outlined in the treaty put together after WWII, no doubt to make up for the allies failure to protect Jews and others. The only blanket protection I am aware of is when a president can declare “temporary protected status” to a particular group of nationals present in the US. Thus after the Soviet crackdown in Poland, Reagan granted protection to Poles already here, and the first Bush, I believe granted it to Salvadorans. Once conditions improve, each national, who had to surface and register for TPS, has to leave or then prove that they are individually targeted. The other blanket protection was legislation for any Cuban who manages to get here, a product of Cold War tensions. I think some form of that still exists for Cubans. As to this being a lefty thing, I believe the relevant treaties were signed by presidents of both parties, and ratified by clear votes in the Senate. Domestic law, the Refugee Act of 1980, first passed overwhelmingly in the House and without a single negative vote in the Senate. And of course, the US is not the only country that has to deal with this. Europe and the third world also do, with poorer countries bearing the biggest burden. Until Trump, the US was a leader in the advocacy for refugees worldwide.

👏👏👏👏👏

This is a no brainer. Why would anyone oppose voter ID?
—————

The Arizona Legislature passed a bill this week that would ensure only U.S. citizens with proof of identification are eligible to register to vote in the state.

Arizona Republican Gov. Doug Ducey gives his state of the state address at the Arizona Capitol on Monday, Jan. 10, 2022. (Ross D. Franklin/AP Photo).
Under House Bill 2492, Arizona voters would be required to provide proof of citizenship on voter registration forms.

The state Senate passed the bill March 23 in a 16–12 vote, with 12 Democrats voting against the bill and two others—Democratic Sens. Lela Alston and Juan Mendez—opting not to vote. The state House already passed the bill, which now heads to Republican Gov. Doug Ducey’s desk to be signed into state law.

Damn right - photo ID and US citizenship should and must be requirements to vote.

Who the hell is in favor of non-US citizens to vote in our elections and WHY?

Damn right - photo ID and US citizenship should and must be requirements to vote.

Who the hell is in favor of non-US citizens to vote in our elections and WHY?
How did we survive all those years without photo ID’s? There is no way outside of 1940s-50s Chicago that anyone can fix a election with no one noticing, and people noticed in Chicago. The GOP has jumped on this issue for two reasons: demographics have moved against them (tho Trump showed some progress with some minorities) and they believe it gives them a bit of an edge. Did our whole system suddenly go south so that well over 400 bills had to be introduced in dozens of states by the GOP to rectify it? We had a commission post-2016 to investigate fraud cause of baby Trump and it disbanded w/o even making a report, if I remember correctly. Our decentralized voting system is a great bulwark against any master fraud scheme. And of course, despite my requests here on DP, no one has referred me to a study or witness who has shown how Trump’s lies could possibly be true.

👏👏👏👏👏

—————

The Arizona Legislature passed a bill this week that would ensure only U.S. citizens with proof of identification are eligible to register to vote in the state.

Arizona Republican Gov. Doug Ducey gives his state of the state address at the Arizona Capitol on Monday, Jan. 10, 2022. (Ross D. Franklin/AP Photo).
Under House Bill 2492, Arizona voters would be required to provide proof of citizenship on voter registration forms.

The state Senate passed the bill March 23 in a 16–12 vote, with 12 Democrats voting against the bill and two others—Democratic Sens. Lela Alston and Juan Mendez—opting not to vote. The state House already passed the bill, which now heads to Republican Gov. Doug Ducey’s desk to be signed into state law.

Excellent!

I haven't researched this topic, although it sounds perfectly legit and the right path.

No you are the ignorant fool that failed to see that they not only fought but did not run. They persevered and are still willing to fight and die for this country their freedom. I served with them in the military. They do not run except towards the people that need to stopped.

And they remained brutally oppressed for decades to come. They saw none of the “freedom” they were fighting for, being routinely disrespected by even superior officers. They were literally attached to the French Army specifically because other Americans refused to fight alongside them.

And when they did fight for their freedom vast numbers of Americans reacted with hate and fear.

Not so. I am not a democrat who support the likes of Saddam insane. I think we need to remove these evil rulers and their death squads. But we cannot take in everyone in the world because they do not have the courage to fight for what is right and their freedom. All that will accomplish is we will no longer be the land of the free because we no longer be the home of the brave.

In other words you don’t have the spine to put your money where your mouth is, and have the hypocrisy to “condemn” others for not risking their families’ lives in futile efforts against professionally trained and utterly sadistic regimes.

Real bravery has nothing to do with sitting on your couch spouting garbage about other people not fighting. If anything, giving up just about everything you have to save your family and embarking on a vast journey across countries you know nothing about, filled with xenophobic fools, to get them to safety is incredibly brave.

I know, the lines were huge in 2020 in some democratic areas of Arizona.
There were huge lines in California too. Hell...there were huge lines in a lot of the voting districts controlled by democrats. Leftists ignore all the others and shriek "THATS RACIST!!!" whenever its convenient.

How did we survive all those years without photo ID’s? There is no way outside of 1940s-50s Chicago that anyone can fix a election with no one noticing, and people noticed in Chicago. The GOP has jumped on this issue for two reasons: demographics have moved against them (tho Trump showed some progress with some minorities) and they believe it gives them a bit of an edge. Did our whole system suddenly go south so that well over 400 bills had to be introduced in dozens of states by the GOP to rectify it? We had a commission post-2016 to investigate fraud cause of baby Trump and it disbanded w/o even making a report, if I remember correctly. Our decentralized voting system is a great bulwark against any master fraud scheme. And of course, despite my requests here on DP, no one has referred me to a study or witness who has shown how Trump’s lies could possibly be true.
How did humanity go for all these years before progs ****ed society up so badly they cant even tell the difference between a man and a woman? How did we get to the point where the idiot left demanded we allow millions of illegal immigrants coming into the country unchecked, unvetted, undocumented...and then dispersed with no knowledge of where they ended up? How did we get to a point where people championed over 500 violent riots in a political season?

Lots of crazy shit that we managed to survive without until recently.

Not at all. Each person has to show that they are at risk of individual persecution based on one of five grounds: race, religion, nationality, membership in a social group, or political opinion. Their claim is assessed on the credibility of their statement as it conforms to particular conditions in a country. This conforms to the definition as outlined in the treaty put together after WWII, no doubt to make up for the allies failure to protect Jews and others. The only blanket protection I am aware of is when a president can declare “temporary protected status” to a particular group of nationals present in the US. Thus after the Soviet crackdown in Poland, Reagan granted protection to Poles already here, and the first Bush, I believe granted it to Salvadorans. Once conditions improve, each national, who had to surface and register for TPS, has to leave or then prove that they are individually targeted. The other blanket protection was legislation for any Cuban who manages to get here, a product of Cold War tensions. I think some form of that still exists for Cubans. As to this being a lefty thing, I believe the relevant treaties were signed by presidents of both parties, and ratified by clear votes in the Senate. Domestic law, the Refugee Act of 1980, first passed overwhelmingly in the House and without a single negative vote in the Senate. And of course, the US is not the only country that has to deal with this. Europe and the third world also do, with poorer countries bearing the biggest burden. Until Trump, the US was a leader in the advocacy for refugees worldwide.
That was true when Trump was president. Biden is dumping them all across the country by the millions. He has failed to follow our immigration policy and in typical left fashion is sweeping it under the rug. When Trump was president not a single plane landed in tiny airports while they were closed in the middle of the night all across my state. As soon as Biden took office they were landing by the dozens.

And they remained brutally oppressed for decades to come. They saw none of the “freedom” they were fighting for, being routinely disrespected by even superior officers. They were literally attached to the French Army specifically because other Americans refused to fight alongside them.

And when they did fight for their freedom vast numbers of Americans reacted with hate and fear.
It does not matter that they were persecuted they showed that brave people fight and persevere. That is the point you can't seem to grasp. The other fact you don't seem able to see is when people from Europe were immigrating to the USA they were also immigrating to all these other American countries. Clearly we did what it takes to create a great nation and they created the shit hole they are fleeing. Even if they come here they need to learn from those that did it right not try and tell us we need to be more like them. I don't want my legacy to be anything like the country and government they created.

In other words you don’t have the spine to put your money where your mouth is, and have the hypocrisy to “condemn” others for not risking their families’ lives in futile efforts against professionally trained and utterly sadistic regimes.

Real bravery has nothing to do with sitting on your couch spouting garbage about other people not fighting. If anything, giving up just about everything you have to save your family and embarking on a vast journey across countries you know nothing about, filled with xenophobic fools, to get them to safety is incredibly brave.
The difference is all through history my family has fought and died for freedom. Starting in the civil war. WW1, WW2. Korea, Vietnam, etc. right of to this very day. They have served and fought in our military not tuck tail and run. Even the women in my family fought in Iraq and Afghanistan not that they have been allowed. No these people need to learn freedom isn't free. Even if they don't have the courage to fight they have a place to run because we are willing to fight not only for our freedom but for those without the courage to fight for theirs.

It does not matter that they were persecuted they showed that brave people fight and persevere. That is the point you can't seem to grasp. The other fact you don't seem able to see is when people from Europe were immigrating to the USA they were also immigrating to all these other American countries. Clearly we did what it takes to create a great nation and they created the shit hole they are fleeing. Even if they come here they need to learn from those that did it right not try and tell us we need to be more like them. I don't want my legacy to be anything like the country and government they created.

They’ve been fighting in Syria for over a decade at this point. The same goes for Mexico. No amount of blathering cliches about “brave people” can change the fact that nobody is obligated to keep their family in a literal war zone indefinitely.

What you can’t seem to grasp is that if it wasn’t for people fleeing various oppressive regimes, there wouldn’t BE an America in the first place. From its earliest days American history has been defined by those starting a new life overseas rather than dying in failed, quixotic charges. Irishmen fleeing the British, Poles fleeing the Russians, German and Italian liberals fleeing the petty and corrupt tyrannies which dominated their homelands, Cubans and and Koreans and Vietnamese escaping vicious dictatorships.....the list goes on and on.

Your “legacy” is FAR less important than saving human lives, and the fact that you can’t see that is damning.

The difference is all through history my family has fought and died for freedom. Starting in the civil war. WW1, WW2. Korea, Vietnam, etc. right of to this very day. They have served and fought in our military not tuck tail and run. Even the women in my family fought in Iraq and Afghanistan not that they have been allowed. No these people need to learn freedom isn't free. Even if they don't have the courage to fight they have a place to run because we are willing to fight not only for our freedom but for those without the courage to fight for theirs.

Oh, they already know all about the silly cliches those sitting in safety on their couches love to spout(and, just to point out the blatantly obvious, the Union was the only side “fighting for freedom” in the Civil War).

It takes FAR more courage, again, to leave behind just about everything you know to get your family to safety.....despite what xenophobic fools blather.

Because they will now make the required ID as difficult as possible for certain people to get.
Oh really? How do you make getting an ID difficult for only certain people?

There were huge lines in California too. Hell...there were huge lines in a lot of the voting districts controlled by democrats. Leftists ignore all the others and shriek "THATS RACIST!!!" whenever its convenient.
Perhaps that is true in some cases. But the GOP has taken steps to reduce voting, with some emphasis on minorities. It makes sense for them, given their perception of how they vote. It hasn’t always involved minorities, but this has been a pattern of one party or another since the founding of ou country.

Perhaps that is true in some cases. But the GOP has taken steps to reduce voting, with some emphasis on minorities. It makes sense for them, given their perception of how they vote. It hasn’t always involved minorities, but this has been a pattern of one party or another since the founding of ou country.
No...its ALWAYS true. Leftists on this site were screaming RACIST! about voting lines in democrat run districts even AFTER it was demonstrated it was the democrat voting officials that limited the numbers of polling locations.

No one is trying to make it harder to vote. Just another lie you swallowed. They arent making it harder to vote, they are making it harder to cheat. IDs are not racist. Extending times for early voting is not racist.

"that's racist" is literally your only election ploy. You cant run on the success of the democrat party in major cities because the democrat party has turned the minority communities in those cities to shitholes. All you can do is shriek "RACIST!!!! RACIST!!! Look at those other guys!!!!" and hope they keep swallowing the lies as eagerly as you do.

No...its ALWAYS true. Leftists on this site were screaming RACIST! about voting lines in democrat run districts even AFTER it was demonstrated it was the democrat voting officials that limited the numbers of polling locations.

No one is trying to make it harder to vote. Just another lie you swallowed. They arent making it harder to vote, they are making it harder to cheat. IDs are not racist. Extending times for early voting is not racist.

"that's racist" is literally your only election ploy. You cant run on the success of the democrat party in major cities because the democrat party has turned the minority communities in those cities to shitholes. All you can do is shriek "RACIST!!!! RACIST!!! Look at those other guys!!!!" and hope they keep swallowing the lies as eagerly as you do.

It's not racist to acknowledge that black people tend to vote for democrats, that big turnout helps democrats and that making it harder to vote can help republicans. It's politics. Here's the evidence. Trump said that with big turnout, "you'd never have a republican elected again." GOP strategist Paul Weyrich acknowledged this years ago, that he doesn't want everyone to vote because it hurts republicans. I repeat that this is what happened:
1- Trump lost in November 2020
2- As he invariably does, he claimed that any election that displeases him was rigged through fraud
3- As he always does, he never offered evidence, and even got upset at his loyal AG when the latter stated that the election was ok, and fired his election monitor he had hired for the same sort of comment.
4- The GOP, only the GOP introduced well over 400 bills in dozens of states that would limit or restrict voting. Why didn't democrats introduce any?
5- You seem unaware or unimpressed by the above points. Why?

This has been a long-standing pattern. The history of our country has been: 1- only property owning males could vote; 2- only males could vote; 3- of course, only white males could vote; 4- then black males could vote, but not really in the South; 5- then blacks were guaranteed the vote in the1965 law; 6- then the Supremes said the 1965 law was out of date; 7- then southern states previously covered by that law quickly instituted restrictions; 8- then Trump lost, see the above points. Do you sense a pattern? Remember, it's politics, not race, but with a racial flavor now and then.

We should be moving to mail-in systems, not this sort of turnout reducing legislation.

👏👏👏👏👏

—————

Well that Bill is a pile of crap. It only identifies the sources of information the state can use to verify US Citizenship. It does not identify nor specify the documents the person seeking registration can use to verify US Citizenship. Another pile of crap Voter Registration Bill designed to make voter registration and thus voting harder.

I suspect it will be shot down in the Courts.

Oh really? How do you make getting an ID difficult for only certain people?
Cost, locations, open hours, the possibilities are endless.

This isn't rocket science.

Back
Top Bottom