• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arizona Legislature Passes Bill Requiring Proof Of US Citizenship To Vote

Cost, locations, open hours, the possibilities are endless.

This isn't rocket science.
So certain people are too stupid to figure out how to drive places during certain times and also be the only ones that can't afford something? Let me know who you think falls into those categories.

So certain people are too stupid to figure out how to drive places during certain times and also be the only ones that can't afford something? Let me know who you think falls into those categories.
Look, what is going on is obvious. The GOP wants to work the margins. A new requirement here or there won’t make a 20% difference, but it may give them a 2-4% advantage in some elections. That’s the whole point of their hundreds of new proposals nationwide. Doesn’t take a genius to figure that out, especially since republicans have said so.

Look, what is going on is obvious. The GOP wants to work the margins. A new requirement here or there won’t make a 20% difference, but it may give them a 2-4% advantage in some elections. That’s the whole point of their hundreds of new proposals nationwide. Doesn’t take a genius to figure that out, especially since republicans have said so.
How are they getting that 2-4%? Where is it coming from?

Oh, they already know all about the silly cliches those sitting in safety on their couches love to spout(and, just to point out the blatantly obvious, the Union was the only side “fighting for freedom” in the Civil War).
I served my country along with most of my family. A lot of my family is still fighting on the side of freedom. How about you?

It takes FAR more courage, again, to leave behind just about everything you know to get your family to safety.....despite what xenophobic fools blather.
Well my ancestors did not come here fleeing. They came legally for opportunity. They did sell everything they owned to get here. When they got here they were flat broke. They persevered and died building a great country. They fought for their freedom in just about every war. Running from problems is not the solution. Solving the problems is the solution. Everyone from all across the world can't come here. But fighting for freedom all across the world can be done.

Well my ancestors did not come here fleeing. They came legally for opportunity. They did sell everything they owned to get here. When they got here they were flat broke. They persevered and died building a great country. They fought for their freedom in just about every war. Running from problems is not the solution. Solving the problems is the solution. Everyone from all across the world can't come here. But fighting for freedom all across the world can be done.

Once again, sitting on a couch in perfect safety while blathering empty cliches about your ancestors “fighting for freedom” and condemning those who risked their lives to get their families away from death squads and psychotic dictators is utterly pathetic.

Again, you don’t get to decide whether someone risks their life, and the life of their family. Nor do you get to condemn them for not sticking around and having their whole family slaughtered along with them.

Once again, sitting on a couch in perfect safety while blathering empty cliches about your ancestors “fighting for freedom” and condemning those who risked their lives to get their families away from death squads and psychotic dictators is utterly pathetic.
Sorry but I can sit on my couch in perfect safety because I am willing to fight and die for the right to do so. I don't expect anyone to do it for me. I joined the military just like many in my family. A lot of them didn't make it home instead their is flag folded in nice triangle in a glass case on the wall in their memory. I am proud they didn't run but did what it takes to sit on your couch and not have to live in fear.
Again, you don’t get to decide whether someone risks their life, and the life of their family. Nor do you get to condemn them for not sticking around and having their whole family slaughtered along with them.
It is clear we are at an impasse. I think people should solve their problems and you believe they should run from them. You think everyone who lives in a dangerous country can come here. I know they can't. Billions of people live in terrible places. The solution is for them to fix their country just like we did. I am truly sorry these people made such a terrible mess of their country. I live in a great country because my ancestors and myself are willing to fight and die for it. Not because we ran hoping someone else will do it for us.

Seems redundant to me: you prove citizenship when you register to vote.

No one has ever been able to show me an organized effort to get thousands of illegals to vote that actually worked...because our current systems prevent that. Sure, a small group of individuals acting on their own might try...but never on the scope the GOP would have you believe.

But the thing that will make me laugh is when some boomer shows up at the polls and forgets his ID....let the hissy fits commence!!!!

Not what I said at all.

Would you like to try again?

Not what I said at all.

Would you like to try again?
Waiting on an answer. I'm guessing you won't, because you'll know how it will make you look, plus it won't be held up by data.

👏👏👏👏👏

This is a no brainer. Why would anyone oppose voter ID?
—————

The Arizona Legislature passed a bill this week that would ensure only U.S. citizens with proof of identification are eligible to register to vote in the state.

Arizona Republican Gov. Doug Ducey gives his state of the state address at the Arizona Capitol on Monday, Jan. 10, 2022. (Ross D. Franklin/AP Photo).
Under House Bill 2492, Arizona voters would be required to provide proof of citizenship on voter registration forms.

The state Senate passed the bill March 23 in a 16–12 vote, with 12 Democrats voting against the bill and two others—Democratic Sens. Lela Alston and Juan Mendez—opting not to vote. The state House already passed the bill, which now heads to Republican Gov. Doug Ducey’s desk to be signed into state law.

Two things. First off I didn't realize how many of these red states had so many cheaters come voting time they need new laws. Secondly, what will suffice as 'proof' you are a citizen? Do I now need to bring my birth certificate?

Lessee… to sum up, 1- Republicans from Donald Trump recently to GOP strategist and leader Paul Weyrich some years ago have said the GOP doesn’t win when turnout is great, and thus they prefer it when fewer people vote; 2- there is little evidence of election fraud; so 3- republicans, only republicans, have introduced well over 425 restrictive bills in 49 states, bills which make it harder to vote. Hard to figure what’s up, that is, how a system that has served us well for many generations collapsed so dramatically in just a short time. It must have taken a genius, a very stable genius, to point this out and stimulate this corrective action. Maybe that person believed he was burned by election fraud himself.
And oddly enough they all believed the east coast democratic elitist. That is the funniest part to me.

Two things. First off I didn't realize how many of these red states had so many cheaters come voting time they need new laws. Secondly, what will suffice as 'proof' you are a citizen? Do I now need to bring my birth certificate?
You need the same ID we need to fly on a plane, cash a check, or conduct any legal transaction. Clearly voting is much more important than any other requirement for ID.

Sorry but I can sit on my couch in perfect safety because I am willing to fight and die for the right to do so. I don't expect anyone to do it for me. I joined the military just like many in my family. A lot of them didn't make it home instead their is flag folded in nice triangle in a glass case on the wall in their memory. I am proud they didn't run but did what it takes to sit on your couch and not have to live in fear.

It is clear we are at an impasse. I think people should solve their problems and you believe they should run from them. You think everyone who lives in a dangerous country can come here. I know they can't. Billions of people live in terrible places. The solution is for them to fix their country just like we did. I am truly sorry these people made such a terrible mess of their country. I live in a great country because my ancestors and myself are willing to fight and die for it. Not because we ran hoping someone else will do it for us.

Uh....no, you can sit on your couch in perfect safety because you won the global lottery and had the luxury of being born in a stable, prosperous country. Lots of people didn’t have that luxury.

You are under the delusion that random civilians can magically “solve” problems that the US government hasn’t even been able to, and that punishing civilians and their families for not dying in a quixotic last stand is a good thing. Which is utterly despicable.

And no amount of pompous sputtering can change that.

Look at what this country has come to. There are actually people arguing for non citizens to vote.
My God, we need to vote out these crazy progressives ASAP.
And there's also commie confederates for Putin living in the USA. It's insane, I tell ya!

Waiting on an answer. I'm guessing you won't, because you'll know how it will make you look, plus it won't be held up by data.
I did answer. If you didn't understand it that's not my fault.

I did answer. If you didn't understand it that's not my fault.
No you didn't. You threw out a vague claim. I'm asking you to be specific in who and how.

👏👏👏👏👏

This is a no brainer. Why would anyone oppose voter ID?
—————

The Arizona Legislature passed a bill this week that would ensure only U.S. citizens with proof of identification are eligible to register to vote in the state.

Arizona Republican Gov. Doug Ducey gives his state of the state address at the Arizona Capitol on Monday, Jan. 10, 2022. (Ross D. Franklin/AP Photo).
Under House Bill 2492, Arizona voters would be required to provide proof of citizenship on voter registration forms.

The state Senate passed the bill March 23 in a 16–12 vote, with 12 Democrats voting against the bill and two others—Democratic Sens. Lela Alston and Juan Mendez—opting not to vote. The state House already passed the bill, which now heads to Republican Gov. Doug Ducey’s desk to be signed into state law.

Because it adds an additional hoop people have to jump through to reach the polls and vote, thus reducing the number of people who will.

Edit: What form does this proof take, and how likely is it for someone to carry that proof around with them? If it's something they only need to vote, some will forget it, and not bother voting as a result.

If it takes time and effort to acquire, not to mention money, that's yet more reasons for people to not bother and thus not vote.

Look at what this country has come to. There are actually people arguing for non citizens to vote.
My God, we need to vote out these crazy progressives ASAP.

Man, the GOP plays you like a fiddle, keeping you always riled up and ready to spazz out on command.

The who and how of your claim. You made the claim. I'm asking for more specifics.
More specifics on what?

You said "how". I said "Cost, locations, open hours, the possibilities are endless."

I didn't refer to any "specific classes of people" or anything else.

NOw if you'd like to talk about what I actually said that's cool, otherwise get lost, you're irritating.

And don't forget your silly strawman, it's shedding all over the place.

You need the same ID we need to fly on a plane, cash a check, or conduct any legal transaction. Clearly voting is much more important than any other requirement for ID.
Oddly enough last year when I went to renew my license, I couldn't because my state issued drivers license was all of a sudden not good enough i.d. I had to jump through all kinds of hoops to get my new 'gold' star license. With all the shit flori-duh made me jump through it should be as good as a passport.

Because it adds an additional hoop people have to jump through to reach the polls and vote, thus reducing the number of people who will.
Interesting. I've heard that same logic about gun purchase laws.

Arizona voters passed a proposition back in 2004, which required proof of citizenship to register to vote. But it was ruled by the courts that requiring proof of citizenship to vote violated the National Voter Registration Act of 1993.
In July 2012, Arizona submitted to the Supreme Court a petition for writ of certiorari to review the Ninth Circuit's ruling that the state's proof of citizenship requirement is preempted by the NVRA.[16] The Court granted the petition in October 2012,[17] and it heard oral arguments on March 18, 2013.[18] On June 17, 2013, the Supreme Court affirmed, in a 7–2 vote with Justice Antonin Scalia delivering the Court's opinion, the Ninth Circuit's ruling that Arizona's proof of citizenship requirement is preempted by the NVRA.[19]

Back
Top Bottom