• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arizona Legislature Passes Bill Requiring Proof Of US Citizenship To Vote

Yes correct. Only local races - mayor, assembly, school board etc.
They can also vote for local(city and county) tax issues. I'm not sure if they can vote on state representation but I know for a fact that they cannot vote on federal (Congress and POTUS)reps.

I’m not seeing what the issue is. If you have to be a citizen to vote proving citizenship - they call for a copy of a birth certificate, drivers license or non driver ID issued after 1996, passport, or naturalization papers - when registering is really not a big deal provided procedures aren’t onerous.
Birth certificate or naturalization papers. You don't need to be a citizen to get a drivers license or ID. It's true you need to show a bc to get a drivers license, but it's apparently for identity, not citizenship, and citizenship status isn't reflected on a drivers license.

Birth certificate or naturalization papers. You don't need to be a citizen to get a drivers license or ID. It's true you need to show a bc to get a drivers license, but it's apparently for identity, not citizenship, and citizenship status isn't reflected on a drivers license.
I did not need to show a birth certificate to register to vote. I only needed my driver's license but then again I was initially registered to vote by my HS civics teacher during the first semester of my Sr year. I think that school and that teacher were fairly certain that she knew who we were.

I did not need to show a birth certificate to register to vote. I only needed my driver's license but then again I was initially registered to vote by my HS civics teacher during the first semester of my Sr year. I think that school and that teacher were fairly certain that she knew who we were.
My suggestion would be IF proof of citizenship were required. I know it's not required now.

My suggestion would be IF proof of citizenship were required. I know it's not required now.
You do need to prove citizenship to register to vote if you go to the post office or the county board of elections to register. All of that information is vetted before you are legally able to vote and sent your voter ID card.

Last edited:
What will the right wing voter ID require to be acquired? We don't know. I say it will require steps that will take time. Enough time for a voter to miss a voting opportunity.

BEGIN ORGANIZING YOUR VOTING DAY PACKETS = Democracy NOW

Voters must assume well organized ANTI AMERICAN FASCIST CONSERVATIVES aka ALEC may have purged YOU from the voting rolls. Any way possible

Okay let's plan ahead. VOTE VOTE VOTE

And check often to see if you as as voter have been purged.

Voters ORGANIZE A VOTING DAY PACKET which should contain:

--- a birth certificate

--- drivers license or state ID card

--- proof of voter registration etc etc etc.

--- Keep this information close by for at least 100 years.

Let's get on with it. WE voters have a mess to clean up.

Yes this is what my packet contains ........... a legitimate/acceptable birth certificate could be a challenge
to obtain in time to vote. Mine was ...... it must be a copy of the original. Beware of unthinkable situations
which Is why enough time should be allowed.

CONSERVATIVES will never give up squashing democracy and YOUR right to vote.

You do need to prove citizenship to register to vote if you go to the post office or the county board of elections to register. All of that information is vetted before you are legally able to vote and sent your voter ID card.
Not in my state.

Look at what this country has come to. There are actually people arguing for non citizens to vote.
My God, we need to vote out these crazy progressives ASAP.
No, but some older citizens may find it hard to prove they are citizens. My father served in the Air Force for over 25 years and had a top secret security clearance, but never had a birth certificate as he was born at home. Many older citizens who have been voting for years may have the same problem. and then there is the cost off getting a birth certificate if you do not have one handy. MY daughter went overseas as an exchange student and it us weeks to get one and cost us over $200. Maybe you have one, but to use it as proof of citizenship, you will have to have a certified one. Hope you do if you live in Arizona

👏👏👏👏👏

This is a no brainer. Why would anyone oppose voter ID?
—————

The Arizona Legislature passed a bill this week that would ensure only U.S. citizens with proof of identification are eligible to register to vote in the state.

Arizona Republican Gov. Doug Ducey gives his state of the state address at the Arizona Capitol on Monday, Jan. 10, 2022. (Ross D. Franklin/AP Photo).
Under House Bill 2492, Arizona voters would be required to provide proof of citizenship on voter registration forms.

The state Senate passed the bill March 23 in a 16–12 vote, with 12 Democrats voting against the bill and two others—Democratic Sens. Lela Alston and Juan Mendez—opting not to vote. The state House already passed the bill, which now heads to Republican Gov. Doug Ducey’s desk to be signed into state law.

It supposedly gives what those proofs are but 166 is completely missing from the link. Why is that?

Focus, this isn't about DT. Many brave people waited in line for the privilege to vote.
Wonderful. And now thanks to Trump's big lie and the legislation it spawned, one can't give them water to drink, in Texas a picture ID for concealed carry is valid, but a student picture ID is not. But don't believe me, believe Trump and Weyrich: they have said they don't want people to vote. The GOP has seen demographics going against them - despite some recent gains among minorities - so it makes sense to nibble at the edges of what I refer to as the "right," not the privilege, to vote.

Because they want to cheat!
The Racist DEM's even try to play the Race card, when in Fact it exposes them as the True Racist !

Even GA had to fess up and stop the illegals from voting !

The guy who told us the 2020 election was the most secure.....

More anti american lies from one of the advocates of the overthrow of a legally and fairly elected President.

ALEC is directly tied to the emerging trend among state legislatures to consider voter ID laws.27

Using false allegations of “voter fraud,” right-wing politicians are pursuing policies that disenfranchise students and other at-risk voters — including the elderly and the poor — who are unlikely to have drivers’ licenses or other forms of photo ID.28

By suppressing the vote of such groups, ALEC’s model “Voter ID Act” grants an electoral advantage to Republicans while undermining the right to vote.

In addition, ALEC wants to make it easier for corporations to participate in the political process. Their Public Safety and Elections taskforce is co-chaired by Sean Parnell of the Center for Competitive Politics, one of the most vociferous pro-corporate election groups, and promotes model legislation that would devastate campaign finance reform and allow for greater corporate influence in elections.29

http://www.pfaw.org/rww-in-focus/al...te-special-interests-state-legislatures#Voter

Great news!

Sadly, blue states will never do the same.
Voter ID would stop voter fraud. You know they will not support following the law. Look at the border debacle under Biden. It is a free for all not an immigration system. Our border security has become a joke under his reign.

👏👏👏👏👏

This is a no brainer. Why would anyone oppose voter ID?
—————

The Arizona Legislature passed a bill this week that would ensure only U.S. citizens with proof of identification are eligible to register to vote in the state.

Arizona Republican Gov. Doug Ducey gives his state of the state address at the Arizona Capitol on Monday, Jan. 10, 2022. (Ross D. Franklin/AP Photo).
Under House Bill 2492, Arizona voters would be required to provide proof of citizenship on voter registration forms.

The state Senate passed the bill March 23 in a 16–12 vote, with 12 Democrats voting against the bill and two others—Democratic Sens. Lela Alston and Juan Mendez—opting not to vote. The state House already passed the bill, which now heads to Republican Gov. Doug Ducey’s desk to be signed into state law.

Asinine propaganda driven law.

Voter ID would stop voter fraud. You know they will not support following the law. Look at the border debacle under Biden. It is a free for all not an immigration system. Our border security has become a joke under his reign.
Biden is attempting to follow legal and treaty obligations towards asylum seekers, stuff Trump couldn't be bothered to care about during his fascist-like demonizing of all immigrants. Don't like what Biden is doing, press Congress to abrogate the three relevant ratified treaties (get back if you want their titles) and repeal the Refugee Act.

I’m just going by what the AZ law says and it says something to the effect of “certain driver’s licenses issued after 199-something”

Maybe in AZ you can get a license that also proves citizenship. I know Real ID DLs prove that you are a citizen or lawful resident.

I’m just going by what the AZ law says and it says something to the effect of “certain driver’s licenses issued after 199-something”

Maybe in AZ you can get a license that also proves citizenship. I know Real ID DLs prove that you are a citizen or lawful resident.
I have a Real ID DL. A lawful resident could be anyone with a green card, a temporary refugee, etc. They can't vote, though.

Biden is attempting to follow legal and treaty obligations towards asylum seekers, stuff Trump couldn't be bothered to care about during his fascist-like demonizing of all immigrants. Don't like what Biden is doing, press Congress to abrogate the three relevant ratified treaties (get back if you want their titles) and repeal the Refugee Act.
Not even close to true. The people fleeing Ukraine are refugees. The people crossing our Southern border are circumventing our immigration laws.

Being from a poor country that you have created and turned into a shit hole is not the same as fleeing another countries army bombing and shooting people in a war. The Ukraine people are fighting for their freedom in an all out war. The people crossing our Southern border have no idea what fighting for freedom is even about. They are fleeing the utter mess they have made of their country and the pathetic corrupt government they have.

What the people at our Southern border should have done instead of tuck tail and run here is showed up at their capital and let their leaders know how they feel like we did. If their leaders won't listen then drag them out and get rid of them. Leaders either serve the people or they need to be removed and replaced by any and all means.

Not even close to true. The people fleeing Ukraine are refugees. The people crossing our Southern border are circumventing our immigration laws.

Being from a poor country that you have created and turned into a shit hole is not the same as fleeing another countries army bombing and shooting people in a war. The Ukraine people are fighting for their freedom in an all out war. The people crossing our Southern border have no idea what fighting for freedom is even about. They are fleeing the utter mess they have made of their country and the pathetic corrupt government they have.

What the people at our Southern border should have done instead of tuck tail and run here is showed up at their capital and let their leaders know how they feel like we did. If their leaders won't listen then drag them out and get rid of them. Leaders either serve the people or they need to be removed and replaced by any and all means.
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah to the ****ing blah

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah to the ****ing blah
Great rebuttal. I guess this is the best excuse for Biden's utter failure of our border security and enforcing our immigration laws. Maybe he can put Harris back in charge. I am still trying to figure our what she is actually doing. I guess all we can do is pray Joe hangs in there until the next election when hopefully we elect a real leader that can start straightening out this mess.

There are presently Russian citizens who have lft Russia for political reasons and are being turned away. You know what happens if they go back to Russia.

Back
Top Bottom