• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Arizona Legislature Passes Bill Requiring Proof Of US Citizenship To Vote

👏👏👏👏👏

This is a no brainer. Why would anyone oppose voter ID?
—————
Because they want to cheat!
The Racist DEM's even try to play the Race card, when in Fact it exposes them as the True Racist !

Even GA had to fess up and stop the illegals from voting !

The guy who told us the 2020 election was the most secure.....

No its not obviously or they wouldn’t have needed the law.
There is no need for the law. The GOP has been pushing this idea for almost a decade and still, they cannot provide evidence of voter fraud. Except for their own voters.

The real reason behind this is that the GOP knows that they cannot win elections if the majority of people vote, so they want to enact more hoops for voters to have to jump through and make it as difficult as possible for the poor and urban people to vote. This is the reason that we have the voting rights act to prevent adding barriers for people to vote.

There is no need for the law. The GOP has been pushing this idea for almost a decade and still, they cannot provide evidence of voter fraud. Except for their own voters.

The real reason behind this is that the GOP knows that they cannot win elections if the majority of people vote, so they want to enact more hoops for voters to have to jump through and make it as difficult as possible for the poor and urban people to vote. This is the reason that we have the voting rights act to prevent adding barriers for people to vote.
excellent .........

WHO can prove USA citizenship? YOU can't!

I can because I prepared my voting rights folder last year.
One thing I learned was how much time this requires. And that some small fees may be required.

While these nonsense antics cannot prevent one from voting forever it could PROTECT YOUR EXTREMELY IMPORTANT VOTE TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHT TO VOTE, PROTECT PUBLIC EDUCATION, PROTECT WOMEN'S RIGHTS ACROSS THE BOARD, PROTECT SOCIAL SECURITY INSURANCE, PROTECT MEDICARE/MEDICAID INSURANCE, PROTECT INVESTMENTS IN RETIREMENT, PROTECT FROM HOME LOAN SCAMS, PROTECT OUR RIGHT TO SAY NO TO GOVERNMENT BAILOUTS DUE TO MISMANAGEMENT, PROTECT THE USPS(postal service) etc etc etc etc etc.

Hopefully I'll never need my Voting Rights Folder however as loosely as the Supreme Court is invaded for reasons I'm not sure should be available such as using the court to bypass congressional responsibility.
We see the congress actively setting up courts for this purpose all over the country by way of GOP appointments......as we speak.

I have been providing photo ID before I vote for several decades which says this Voter ID is voter suppression.

We do not need one more document that allows and/or prevents we the voter from voting.

Counterfeit Voter ID's = yes i can see the GOP investing in voter fraud anyway possible.

What are the problems inherent in using proof of citizenship during registration that proof of citizenship during voting would supposedly fix?

Why do we need proof of citizenship to vote when we already proved our citizenship when we registered to vote? That current voter ID card is more than enough.
The OP is misleadingly worded. Proof is required at when registering

I’m not seeing what the issue is. If you have to be a citizen to vote proving citizenship - they call for a copy of a birth certificate, drivers license or non driver ID issued after 1996, passport, or naturalization papers - when registering is really not a big deal provided procedures aren’t onerous.

They are just pandering to idiots who don't know that Arizona ALREADY tried this shit and got their ass handed to them at the Supreme Court...

Held: Arizona’s evidence-of-citizenship requirement, as applied to Federal Form applicants, is pre-empted by the NVRA’s mandate that States “accept and use” the Federal Form. Pp. 4–1.
(a) The Elections Clause imposes on States the duty to prescribe the time, place, and manner of electing Representatives and Senators, but it confers on Congress the power to alter those regulations or supplant them altogether. See U. S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton, 514 U. S. 779, 804–805. This Court has said that the terms “Times, Places, and Manner” “embrace authority to provide a complete code for congressional elections,” including regulations relating to “registration.” Smiley v. Holm, 285 U. S. 355, 366. Pp. 4–6.

(b) Because “accept and use” are words “that can have more than one meaning,” they “are given content . . . by their surroundings.” Whitman v. American Trucking Assns., Inc., 531 U. S. 457, 466. Reading “accept” merely to denote willing receipt seems out of place in the context of an official mandate to accept and use something for a given purpose. The implication of such a mandate is that its object is to be accepted as sufficient for the requirement it is meant to satisfy. Arizona’s reading is also difficult to reconcile with neighboring NVRA provisions, such as §1973gg–6(a)(1)(B) and §1973gg–4(a)(2).

Arizona’s appeal to the presumption against pre-emption invoked in this Court’s Supremacy Clause cases is inapposite. The power the Elections Clause confers is none other than the power to pre-empt. Because Congress, when it acts under this Clause, is always on notice that its legislation will displace some element of a pre-existing legal regime erected by the States, the reasonable assumption is that the text of Elections Clause legislation accurately communicates the scope of Congress’s pre-emptive intent.

Nonetheless, while the NVRA forbids States to demand that an applicant submit additional information beyond that required by the Federal Form, it does not preclude States from “deny[ing] registration based on information in their possession establishing the applicant’s ineligibility.” Pp. 6–13.

I’m not seeing what the issue is. If you have to be a citizen to vote proving citizenship - they call for a copy of a birth certificate, drivers license or non driver ID issued after 1996, passport, or naturalization papers - when registering is really not a big deal provided procedures aren’t onerous.

Nonetheless, while the NVRA forbids States to demand that an applicant submit additional information beyond that required by the Federal Form, it does not preclude States from “deny[ing] registration based on information in their possession establishing the applicant’s ineligibility.” Pp. 6–13.

Was not aware of that case. Thx. Presumably Az would still be free to require proof of citizenship for non federal elections - the article wasn’t really clear on that point but I assumed it was for all elections.

I'm fairly sure that most states require proof of citizenship when one applies for a driver's license and/or I.D. card. I would think the citizenship issue should be handled when applying for voter registration.

There is no need to be a citizen to obtain a drivers license-- a legal resident can obtain one.

Was not aware of that case. Thx. Presumably Az would still be free to require proof of citizenship for non federal elections - the article wasn’t really clear on that point but I assumed it was for all elections.

Its probably non-federal elections.
IN NYC, the city recently has permitted non-citizen legal residents to vote in non-federal elections.

It's ultimately going to be up the Supreme Court to determine how many sexes there are and how do you join one of them. Seems our species is truly trying to destroy itself.

If this country does destroy itself, it will be due to people like your Trump traitor friends on Jan 6.

Yes, that's exactly what they do today... They have a separate registration for non-federal elections...

There is no need to be a citizen to obtain a drivers license-- a legal resident can obtain one.
But whether you are a citizen is documented when you apply for a d.l. or i.d. . When registering to vote, your status should be taken from d.m.v. data banks.

The OP is misleadingly worded. Proof is required at when registering
A verified signature is on file from when you registered to vote and they can ask for your SSN if necessary. There is no fraud. Anyone with any knowledge of statistics knows that this entire claim is laughable.

Non citizen legal residents - green card holders - can vote. Illegal immigrants cannot.
They can only vote on local issues. They cannot for federal representation. Many cities in California do the same.

A verified signature is on file from when you registered to vote and they can ask for your SSN if necessary. There is no fraud. Anyone with any knowledge of statistics knows that this entire claim is laughable.

They can only vote on local issues. They cannot for federal representation. Many cities in California do the same.
Yes correct. Only local races - mayor, assembly, school board etc.

Apparently you didn't read your own OP before posting it. It says that proof of citizenship is needed to register to vote, not cast a ballot.

Back
Top Bottom