• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are hardcore Trump supporters much different than hardcore Obama supporters?

Are hardcore Trump supporters much different than hardcore Obama supporters?

• Total voters
Yup. Anyone who wants someone without political experience, whatsoever, to be President of the United States is a far bigger fool than one who wants a sitting U.S. Senator and former State Senator to be President of the United States.

Yup. Anyone who wants someone without political experience, whatsoever, to be President of the United States is a far bigger fool than one who wants a sitting U.S. Senator and former State Senator to be President of the United States.

the whole "obama is inexperienced" thing was just a fake criticism so republicans didn't have too admit that they hated him because he was black, like the birth certificate nonsense, or the debt, or just obamacare.... if he was a white republican you would have never heard about these things, as you can see when they elected one of the original proponents of the ACA, mitt romney , then jeb bush brother of the who person who created the debt, then the Canadian ted cruz, and now trump who has never been voted into any office at all (atleast sarah palin ran the wasilla PTA for awhile)

Until the republican party (not the democrat party) begins to address the problem of racism, instead just ignoring it or pretending it doesn't exist, i honestly dont see how or why somebody like david duke wont be the next republican presidential candidate

grasp at those straws, we're taking back America, and there isn't a thing you can do about it.

no different from Obama supporters? I'll tell you the difference; real solutions, as opposed to promising deadbeats more 'free' (taxpayer funded) stuff for their vote. the democrat debates this primary have been hilarious; I'll give you this! no, I'll give you that AND this! the entire lefty platform is based on vote buying.

no more, buckle up.

giphy.gif

No, I don't think so.

Where I see similarities are actually with the CASUAL Trump and Obama supporters. The ones that will actively and loudly tell you they were going to support [x] and can mouth off some talking points, but aren't hardcore political junkies strictly following the on going actions, views, thoughts of their candidate.

In 2008 and now in 2016, both were largely built off a brand...and image...a persona. Their popularity within the casual space was almost as much, if not more, based around what they were representing as opposed to themselves as a person. Both instances inspired excitement and support due to a feeling of something beyond standard politics, of being part of a cultural "movement" of sorts. In 2008 it was a pop cultural phenomena to get on board with Obama, while with Trump it's almost more of a counter culture notion, but both are instances where many of the casual supporters were swept up in a cultural wave as opposed to a political one.

No, I don't think so.

Where I see similarities are actually with the CASUAL Trump and Obama supporters. The ones that will actively and loudly tell you they were going to support [x] and can mouth off some talking points, but aren't hardcore political junkies strictly following the on going actions, views, thoughts of their candidate.

In 2008 and now in 2016, both were largely built off a brand...and image...a persona. Their popularity within the casual space was almost as much, if not more, based around what they were representing as opposed to themselves as a person. Both instances inspired excitement and support due to a feeling of something beyond standard politics, of being part of a cultural "movement" of sorts. In 2008 it was a pop cultural phenomena to get on board with Obama, while with Trump it's almost more of a counter culture notion, but both are instances where many of the casual supporters were swept up in a cultural wave as opposed to a political one.
Casual supporters are all the same. They go "Whoo, Trump!" or "Whoo, Hillary!", but when you ask them why they are voting for their respective chosen candidates they just go "Uh...." because they have no idea why.

grasp at those straws, we're taking back America, and there isn't a thing you can do about it.

no different from Obama supporters? I'll tell you the difference; real solutions, as opposed to promising deadbeats more 'free' (taxpayer funded) stuff for their vote. the democrat debates this primary have been hilarious; I'll give you this! no, I'll give you that AND this! the entire lefty platform is based on vote buying.

no more, buckle up.
Who is "we"?

Trump supporters, for the most part, are uglier. Ugly faces, ugly actions, and can't dance.

Totally amused by the deflection. You can sure start a thread about that and you don't even need to give me credit.

If this thread makes you feel defensive, you might be "hardcore". :lol:

It's a valid point. It's not a deflection. While I support Obama, I don't support him blindly. I am also far more well informed than Trump supporters. #Birther

I agree that Obama was not a celebrity prior to the presidential race but it sure made him one. That's really not any kind of a knock on him, he was new and interesting enough that people wanted to know more about him. No amount of press could make John McCain or Romney a celeb.

If you go back to 20014, Dem Convention, and his speech. That is what brought him to the national stage
His landslide victory in Illinois also assisted in that.

No difference. Both were swept up by the shiny bling of celebrity-like candidates who were very long on soaring rhetoric and almost completely void of substantive ideas.

The Affordable Care Act is a substantive idea. Equal pay for women is a substantive idea. Reducing our dependence on foreign oil is a substantive idea. You may not agree with those things, but they were campaigned on.

If you go back to 20014, Dem Convention, and his speech. That is what brought him to the national stage

I went back to 20014 and everything was smoldering ash.

20014? Is this like Back To The Future?

The Affordable Care Act is a substantive idea. Equal pay for women is a substantive idea. Reducing our dependence on foreign oil is a substantive idea. You may not agree with those things, but they were campaigned on.

First, the ACA was not directly what he campaigned on in 2009. "Fixing healthcare" or "making healthcare more affordable" was.

And if those how you're going to define "substantive ideas", than that's fine. Then so is "deal with the flow of illegal aliens, including building a wall", "fix our trade deficit", "strengthen our military", "enhance competition in health care" in terms of Donald Trump.

So if your issue with her comment is the fact she said they were both the same because their candidacies were primarily fueled by soaring rhetoric and almost void of substantive ideas, then you should've highlighted that comparison fails with both of them based on the way you're defining substantive idea.

It's a valid point. It's not a deflection. While I support Obama, I don't support him blindly.

Sure, that's why the knee jerk response of "what about Reagan" *pout*

I am also far more well informed than Trump supporters. #Birther

You're the second lib whose had to inform me just how much better you are than a Trump supporter. For some reason, they make some of you really insecure.

Sure, that's why the knee jerk response of "what about Reagan" *pout*

It is a more apt comparison. Why not address that instead of the ad hominem approach you are taking here by attacking what you wish was my motivation?

You're the second lib whose had to inform me just how much better you are than a Trump supporter. For some reason, they make some of you really insecure.

Trump supporters aren't interested in facts. Confirmation bias is what they are interested in.

Specifying "hardcore" for a reason, but you all decide for yourselves what that means (sure as ****, someone's going to criticize me for not defining "hardcore"). I was listening to the radio about that guy admitting (bragging?) that some significant liberties in selling the U.S. and Iran deal and my thought was that it won't make a bit of difference to die hard Obama supporters. The last time I thought that was regarding Trump supporters and I started wondering if hardcore Obama supporters are really the same types of people as hardcore Trump supporters just with different politics. I think a case could be made.

Incidently, I see a total difference with Hillary supporters. They generally seem to be more willing to acknowledge faults/mistakes.

attaching poll
Cult of Personality is Cult of Personality. For every idiot sure Obama was going to bring them "Hope", there's one who thinks that Trump's going to make us "Great".

People: politicians are not going to save you, make you feel better about your life, or immanentize any eschaton's. That's not their job.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

No difference. Both were swept up by the shiny bling of celebrity-like candidates who were very long on soaring rhetoric and almost completely void of substantive ideas.

Yep ^^

Anyway, to your question: I saw Obama supporters at the time honestly believing what Obama said. I can live with that. On the other hand, I see Trump supporters as being desperately hopeful that he won't be a total destructive douche in office. Cross their fingers, if you will. That's just... sad. :(

And that was the problem. They didn't question anything.

Back
Top Bottom