• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Another Reason to Flee California

Yeesh, at least you're not going to be there during the summer blast furnace.
I wish this pandemic wasn't raging, or I'd invite you and your friend to stop by for lunch in Whittier, my treat.

We will stay there friday after turkey day then home, I live in Solvang.

This is the opposite of 1984. Before, companies were barred from participating in Affirmative Action programs. The repeal of Proposition 209 would give companies the option to do so. This is more freedom for businesses, not less.
If they used that freedom to not hire anybody who was not white would you be OK with that freedom?

We will stay there friday after turkey day then home, I live in Solvang.

Wow, I don't know anyone who actually LIVES IN Solvang. You are the first.
My mother used to go up there all the time with one of her best friends, it was one of their getaway spots.
Hey, now I know a person who actually lives there!
Too bad Mom's long gone.

Wow, I don't know anyone who actually LIVES IN Solvang. You are the first.
My mother used to go up there all the time with one of her best friends, it was one of their getaway spots.
Hey, now I know a person who actually lives there!
Too bad Mom's long gone.

The Danish part is just the downtown area, the city limits stretch out in every direction for about a mile or so from downtown. I live very close to downtown.

Then you should consider the fact that you've never lived here before spouting off nonsense as if you're some kind of expert commentator. Nobody in California cares what someone based in Virginia thinks.
You Southern folks take particular umbrage at "Yankees comin down heah and stickin' their snouts everywhere tellin' us how to run our lives."
Funny how almost every Johnny Reb on this board is obsessed with California.
I think they call that "sticking your your snout everywhere and telling us how to run our lives."
Come on out, enjoy the natural beauty, enjoy Disneyland, go see the sights of Hollywood, take the Universal Studios Tour, go snooping around Beverly Hills and Castaic and see all the movie star homes, take in some of the night life...
And then get your ass back home and quit meddling in our affairs.

View attachment 67305150
Tsk tsk. I'm a transplanted Midwesterner who has lived all over the world. You'll have to do better.

22% of children in California are non-hispanic white. They are the minority here. Upon reaching the age of adulthood, they will still be treated as though they are part of a majority that can be discriminated against at will by university administrators. The Diversity Gospel of the DNC and GOP was never really about 'diversity' anyway, it was intended to remove whites from dominating academics and employment due to natural difference between races.

You might want to consider that most of us Californians really don't give a damn about skin color or race. Now we are seeing some exceptions, lots of Karens running around but in general, all of us are pretty cool about diversity.

Tsk tsk. I'm a transplanted Midwesterner who has lived all over the world. You'll have to do better.

But you've never lived here.
I'm a recovering analog dinosaur who put in forty years as a Director of Photography, among other things.
I've traveled plenty and have lived all over as well.
You need to do better.
Stick with yammering about your pet peeve, climate change denialism.

The Danish part is just the downtown area, the city limits stretch out in every direction for about a mile or so from downtown. I live very close to downtown.
Pea soup in Buelton

I'm a recovering analog dinosaur who put in forty years as a Director of Photography, among other things.
You need to do better.
Californians recently agreed with me. Please see #37.

You need to do better.

Shhh, we want them to hate California, no more people is good. I wanted to run for Governor on a platform based upon mass exodus. 10 million of us leave right now, we will give you a grand to move to Texas or nevada. When I was a kid, California had around 16-18 million and it was paradise. Imagine what it was like when there were only 10 million....bonfires on the beach, hiking in the sierras with your dog whenever you liked, skinny dipping anywhere you wanted, surf spots were uncrowded, camping spots were easy to get anywhere, it was awesome. The only thing I gripe about the illegals is they increased the head count quickly, other then that, I don't give a damn.

Gosh, that's horrible. Giving opportunities to people that have historically not had good opportunities and/or had their opportunities stolen from them.

What's next, an invasion of foreigners that bring diseases that kills over 90% of the existing population, enslavement, cultural genocide, and push US off OUR land? White chattel slavery? Mexico invading the Southwest? Nuclear weapons pointed at US?

You might want to consider that most of us Californians really don't give a damn about skin color or race. Now we are seeing some exceptions, lots of Karens running around but in general, all of us are pretty cool about diversity.

My own neighborhood here in West Whittier has undergone more than a couple of transformations.
Back in the 80's when I was dabbling in freelance stringer news work, I would wind up around here about two or three times a month because of gang shootings. Since around the mid-2000's however, the neighborhood calmed down and families began moving back in again.
Can't say gentrification because not much has changed, the demographics are about what they were back then, about 55-60% hispanic and the rest divvied up amongst white, black and whatever. The houses here range from little postwar crackerboxes from the 1950's to more recent offerings built on the land as the little homes were torn down. But no stately mansions....those are found in Downey, down the road about three miles.

One of the things that make this neighborhood unique is the fact that it sits alongside the San Gabriel River and if you go on the bike path, you'll be surprised to discover that more than a few of these "somewhat" modest homes actually have lots of land behind them AND more than a few residents have STABLES with one or even two, maybe three HORSES.
Yes, a suburban city six miles East of downtown Los Angeles where you will see people riding a HORSE down your neighborhood street, you can't say that you see that every day.

I have to laugh because I'll never forget when we first moved in here in 2014...a couple of mornings later I awoke to the sound of a horse neighing and winnying. 🤣
What the HELL? Shrugging.png

I put on my clothes, wandered down my rather lengthy driveway and as I came out the gate, there were two very distinguished Mexican gentlemen astride their noble steeds, getting ready to take a little trip down the river, complete with their cowboy hats and boots.
I rubbed the sleep dirt from my eyes as they tipped their hats to me and clop clopped down the street and over to the river path.

... If the past can be presented as radically wrong, radical remedies will seem proportionate.
Wow, supposed intellectual George Will has gone "radical right." I suppose there's nowhere else for ideologically incorrect people to go.

My own neighborhood here in West Whittier has undergone more than a couple of transformations.
Back in the 80's when I was dabbling in freelance stringer news work, I would wind up around here about two or three times a month because of gang shootings. Since around the mid-2000's however, the neighborhood calmed down and families began moving back in again.
Can't say gentrification because not much has changed, the demographics are about what they were back then, about 55-60% hispanic and the rest divvied up amongst white, black and whatever. The houses here range from little postwar crackerboxes from the 1950's to more recent offerings built on the land as the little homes were torn down. But no stately mansions....those are found in Downey, down the road about three miles.

One of the things that make this neighborhood unique is the fact that it sits alongside the San Gabriel River and if you go on the bike path, you'll be surprised to discover that more than a few of these "somewhat" modest homes actually have lots of land behind them AND more than a few residents have STABLES with one or even two, maybe three HORSES.
Yes, a suburban city six miles East of downtown Los Angeles where you will see people riding a HORSE down your neighborhood street, you can't say that you see that every day.

I have to laugh because I'll never forget when we first moved in here in 2014...a couple of mornings later I awoke to the sound of a horse neighing and winnying. 🤣
What the HELL? View attachment 67305174

I put on my clothes, wandered down my rather lengthy driveway and as I came out the gate, there were two very distinguished Mexican gentlemen astride their noble steeds, getting ready to take a little trip down the river, complete with their cowboy hats and boots.
I rubbed the sleep dirt from my eyes as they tipped their hats to me and clop clopped down the street and over to the river path.

so you live down near the Pio Pico park. The last time we were there, about two months ago, the areas leading up to Whittier looked like Mexico then it got more gentrified as we came up Beverly. I have no idea why so many people think Mexicans are bad people. They work their butts off and are really nice people. Plus, the state would stop overnight if all of them were deported in a left behind moment. Like it or not, we need cheap labor and they are the source of it. Lets get real and make a new bracero type system up that makes sense for us and them and be done with it.

George Will said:
California, our national warning, shows how unchecked progressives inflict progress.

Shrillscream- A little anti-California dab'll do ya!

Californians recently agreed with me. Please see #37.

Let's put together a list of the issues they disagree with you about, shall we?
A poorly written affirmative action plan administered by a bunch of aloof pencil pushers deserves to fail, just as the even more poorly written California Universal Healthcare plans that have been submitted to and vetoed by several governors.

When a well written racial equality bill or measure finally makes its way to the state, I'm sure it will pass.
Affirmative Action laws are not always well written and sometimes they are difficult to impossible to implement.
That doesn't mean that racial equality cannot be a matter of law, it just means that it's not as easy as passing a city ordinance prohibiting unleashed dogs.

On a personal level, I find the notion of you opining that "Californians agree with you" to be almost as desperate as a car salesman showing off his fan selfie with a basketball player and then telling his victim that he's a well known sportscaster in his spare time.

so you live down near the Pio Pico park. The last time we were there, about two months ago, the areas leading up to Whittier looked like Mexico then it got more gentrified as we came up Beverly. I have no idea why so many people think Mexicans are bad people. They work their butts off and are really nice people. Plus, the state would stop overnight if all of them were deported in a left behind moment. Like it or not, we need cheap labor and they are the source of it. Lets get real and make a new bracero type system up that makes sense for us and them and be done with it.
How about honoring the 1948 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo?

Wow, supposed intellectual George Will has gone "radical right." I suppose there's nowhere else for ideologically incorrect people to go.
Actually, he's in the same honorable place he's always been.

Let's put together a list of the issues they disagree with you about, shall we?
A poorly written affirmative action plan administered by a bunch of aloof pencil pushers deserves to fail, just as the even more poorly written California Universal Healthcare plans that have been submitted to and vetoed by several governors.

When a well written racial equality bill or measure finally makes its way to the state, I'm sure it will pass.
Affirmative Action laws are not always well written and sometimes they are difficult to impossible to implement.
That doesn't mean that racial equality cannot be a matter of law, it just means that it's not as easy as passing a city ordinance prohibiting unleashed dogs.

On a personal level, I find the notion of you opining that "Californians agree with you" to be almost as desperate as a car salesman showing off his fan selfie with a basketball player and then telling his victim that he's a well known sportscaster in his spare time.
Irrational rants don't make good arguments.

I live on the other side of the bridge, so technically "West Whittier" but if my throwing arm is still any good I could probably hit a house in Pico Rivera on the other side.
All my Mexican neighbors are really nice.
The funny thing is, we have a ton of Mexicans who barely speak Spanish! They're Chicanos, born and raised here.
I've been relearning all the Spanish I picked up in the Eighties...because the strange thing is, almost no one I knew in Texas spoke Spanish so I forgot it but it's all coming back to me now.
Of course I couldn't wait to try it out on some of the neighbors which is when the laughter ensued.

"Hey man, you're gonna have to speak English, the only people in my family who still speak Spanish are mi abuelos (grandparents) and that's when they don't want me to know what they're saying!"

What? No Spanish?
No, they know a few words...and some expressions, and some slang, like "chingadera". 🤣
It's like Cheech and Chong...♫♪ "go to night school, take Spanish, and get a B" ♫♪

The bracero system is partly why Mexicans have no respect for our immigration laws.
We sent BUSES down there to recruit them, and then not even ten years later they pass Operation Wetback which rounded up and deported almost a million of them, some of whom were American citizens born and raised here.
And...they dropped them off in the middle of the desert with no food or water when they weren't flying them back and crashing in the process.

We've never had a consistent immigration policy, not ever in the entire history of this country.
We are as fickle as the wind, so why WOULD anyone have any respect for our ever changing laws and policies?
Ellis Island ver. 2.0 and a mild merit based system, together with some easy requirements for assimilation (learning minimum English) and I think we could manage.
And then KEEP it that way for all time...make it something aspirational that people can plan for, because getting here legally is often a matter of life savings for many prospects. That's why changing our minds every couple of years is a fool's errand.

Back
Top Bottom