• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Another Reason to Flee California

I imagine you're referring to Articles VIII and IX.
You're off by a few years, it was, I think....1848.
Oops. Yeah, 1848.

I read the treaty decades ago and it had vagaries, but it sounded to me that Mexicans (at least some) could come and go legally.

The bigger thing is the land was stolen from Mexico. I heard some Americans wanted to expand geographically and expand chattel slavery, that Mexico was anti-slavery, and that was a part of the American war against Mexico.

Oops. Yeah, 1848.

I read the treaty decades ago and it had vagaries, but it sounded to me that Mexicans (at least some) could come and go legally.

The bigger thing is the land was stolen from Mexico. I heard some Americans wanted to expand geographically and expand chattel slavery, that Mexico was anti-slavery, and that was a part of the American war against Mexico.

You heard? I occasionally say "I heard" but I try not to present it as much more than that.
I know I am wobbling when I do.
Can you provide any clarification about the chattel component of the war?
As for "stolen"...that's a statement lots of people are making about this election.
On the other hand, US expansionist policies are seldom velvet glove.

You heard? I occasionally say "I heard" but I try not to present it as much more than that.
I know I am wobbling when I do.
Can you provide any clarification about the chattel component of the war?
I hear a lot of good stuff on Pacifica Radio. Sometimes I jot down notes on papers, but I rarely get back to them. I'm pretty sure it was a scholarly author that said that. The other thing I've heard is the premise that the Boston Tea Party was really about slavery, not taxation, because of a false rumor that England was planning to abolish slavery (in England), and they'd abolish it in "America," too..

I try to be careful in how I use words.

As for "stolen"...that's a statement lots of people are making about this election.
On the other hand, US expansionist policies are seldom velvet glove.
Do you have any doubt that or issue with the fact that the land was stolen?

It took a while, but 1984 is arriving in California in 2020.

California shows how unchecked progressives inflict progress

California, our national warning, shows how unchecked progressives inflict progress. They have placed on November ballots Proposition 16 to repeal the state constitution’s provision, enacted by referendum in 1996, forbidding racial preferences in public education, employment and contracting. Repeal, which would repudiate individual rights in favor of group entitlements, is part of a comprehensive California agenda to make everything about race, ethnicity and gender. Especially education, thereby supplanting education with its opposite. . . .

Where will this social sorting end? Proposition 16’s aim is to see that there is no end to the industry of improvising remedial measures to bring “social justice” to a fundamentally unjust state, and nation. The aim is to dilute, to the point of disappearance, inhibitions about government using group entitlements — racial, ethnic and gender — for social engineering. Most important, Proposition 16 greases the state’s slide into the engineering of young souls.

They are to be treated as raw material for public education suffused with the spirit of Oceania in George Orwell’s “1984”: “Who controls the past controls the future; who controls the present controls the past.” Progressives have a practical objective in teaching the essential squalor of the nation’s past. The New York Times’s “1619 Project” — it preaches that the nation’s real founding was the arrival of the first slaves; the nation is about racism — is being adopted by schools as a curriculum around the nation. If the past can be presented as radically wrong, radical remedies will seem proportionate. . . .
George Will has no room to complain about the left after he actively worked to get Biden elected.

This is the opposite of 1984. Before, companies were barred from participating in Affirmative Action programs. The repeal of Proposition 209 would give companies the option to do so. This is more freedom for businesses, not less.
Wow! What a contorted analysis. Why can’t a company just hire the most qualified person? How many companies voluntarily skip the best candidate to meet arbitrary goals?

Oops. Yeah, 1848.

No slave state was created from the Mexican Cession.

I hear a lot of good stuff on Pacifica Radio. Sometimes I jot down notes on papers, but I rarely get back to them. I'm pretty sure it was a scholarly author that said that. The other thing I've heard is the premise that the Boston Tea Party was really about slavery, not taxation, because of a false rumor that England was planning to abolish slavery (in England), and they'd abolish it in "America," too..

I try to be careful in how I use words.

Do you have any doubt that or issue with the fact that the land was stolen?

I have doubts about the definition of "stolen" when viewed through the lens of war.
The 1846 war hinges on the will of the people of the Republic of Texas, and it is argued that the majority favored annexation by the United States. Mexico considered the Texas Republic as rebellious, so they don't agree...or they didn't.
To the victor go the spoils, so the saying goes.

If you are looking for a society, civilization or nation that has always conducted itself with absolute purity of intent or action, I can guarantee you will be seriously disappointed.

I hope you all have escaped California. Is it destroyed yet?

I have a relative there. They don't say it's been destroyed. But then, I haven't heard from them in a few hours.

I have a relative there. They don't say it's been destroyed. But then, I haven't heard from them in a few hours.

I keep wondering why Trump hasn't sent his Proud Boys to straighten us out yet.
C'mon Proud Boys!! South Central's a hot mess, why aren't you in Compton teaching those "thugs" a lesson?
Here's why: They're ******S, every last one of them.
They look real badass when they're fighting a half dozen pencil-necked Antifa kids, but I want to see what happens if they march into Inglewood.

If you are looking for a society, civilization or nation that has always conducted itself with absolute purity of intent or action, I can guarantee you will be seriously disappointed.
That's an indirect justification. Why can't we just be honest about it?

"America" has done many horrendous things. "America" has put forward false narratives for these things. "America" hasn't reconciled those things. "America" is still doing horrendous things. I'm going to continue calling it out.

I am basically forced to help finance those horrendous things. How is bombing people and places even considered acceptable, especially in this day and age? The same with sanctions. The same with dealing guns internationally, having the most military outposts by far, the most weapons by far, the most military spending by far, the most nuclear weapons by far. "Uncle Sam" is a gangster, and many people try to make it seem like it's benign. It's not. We're projecting power and using power to keep resources flowing while we're ****ing over people that can't really fight back. Or when they do, they're the bad guy. Is it completely blatant aggression? No. Is it completely innocent? "Come on, man!" And "both" parties overwhelmingly support it. And the word on the street is that Bernie's votes on this align with the D Team.

I keep wondering why Trump hasn't sent his Proud Boys to straighten us out yet.
C'mon Proud Boys!! South Central's a hot mess, why aren't you in Compton teaching those "thugs" a lesson?
Here's why: They're ******S, every last one of them.
They look real badass when they're fighting a half dozen pencil-necked Antifa kids, but I want to see what happens if they march into Inglewood.
I don't get why you say stuff like this.

That's an indirect justification. Why can't we just be honest about it?
It is everything BUT an indirect justification.
It is a direct statement.
You're attempting to relitigate a war that took place in 1846.

This is a happy thread. Prop 16 was defeated.

It is everything BUT an indirect justification.
It is a direct statement.
You're attempting to relitigate a war that took place in 1846.
You're basically saying, "All others have done it, so it's natural, or okay." No, aggressors do it, and It's never been okay. Aggressors are the minority. Most aren't aggressors.

Relitigate?! You've got a like from "Jack Hays."

Last edited:
. . . . "America" has done many horrendous things. "America" has put forward false narratives for these things. "America" hasn't reconciled those things. "America" is still doing horrendous things. I'm going to continue calling it out. . . .

I suspect our Republic will survive your harangues.

Relitigate?! You've got a like from "Jack Hays."

Try and get this:
I too am antiwar.
I too think it's a bad idea to turn domestic defense contractors into international arms dealers.
I agree America has done many terrible things.

We are not alone.
Try and get this...we are not alone.
And if you are expecting me and my little pea brain to go through the laundry list of all of America's sins of the last 240 years, you will grow a long white beard waiting.

Where we might differ is that I am also aware of the millennia stretching all the way back to the dawn of recorded history in which every single nation that has ever existed prosecuted some war or another, and committed the same human sins we have.
Would you be interested in litigating the Rape of Nanking or the Doolittle Raid over Tokyo?
How about the Hellenic Wars or the Hundred Years War?
Italy's misadventures in Ethiopia or Belgium's sins perpetrated over most of the West Coast of Africa?

Or were you just interested in the United States and isolating us as some special case?
We are a nation of human beings and human beings are flawed.
Now this time, try a little harder than "I don't understand how you can say such things" or I won't bother responding to your posts ever again....because as much as I may be antiwar, as lefty as I may be, listening to someone whining about how we are the worst and most horrible race of people to ever inhabit the planet is boring.

PS: Along the way, others here in the USA have also done some pretty neato things, too.

Now this time, try a little harder than "I don't understand how you can say such things" or I won't bother responding to your posts ever again....
Why are you mixing two completely separate and different comments? I replied with something like that to your "We're badasses, they're ******s" comment. I gave you a chance to clarify. You seem to believe that might makes right.

Last edited:
Try and get this:
I too am antiwar.
I too think it's a bad idea to turn domestic defense contractors into international arms dealers.
I agree America has done many terrible things.

We are not alone.
Try and get this...we are not alone.
And if you are expecting me and my little pea brain to go through the laundry list of all of America's sins of the last 240 years, you will grow a long white beard waiting.

Where we might differ is that I am also aware of the millennia stretching all the way back to the dawn of recorded history in which every single nation that has ever existed prosecuted some war or another, and committed the same human sins we have.
Would you be interested in litigating the Rape of Nanking or the Doolittle Raid over Tokyo?
How about the Hellenic Wars or the Hundred Years War?
Italy's misadventures in Ethiopia or Belgium's sins perpetrated over most of the West Coast of Africa?

Or were you just interested in the United States and isolating us as some special case?
We are a nation of human beings and human beings are flawed.
Now this time, try a little harder than "I don't understand how you can say such things" or I won't bother responding to your posts ever again....because as much as I may be antiwar, as lefty as I may be, listening to someone whining about how we are the worst and most horrible race of people to ever inhabit the planet is boring.

PS: Along the way, others here in the USA have also done some pretty neato things, too.
You've claimed you're antiwar, then expanded on the same justification, which is a means to justify the continuing US militarism (including wars). You bogusly threw in that we'd have to discuss every similar action from history. And again with "relitigate," as if I'm asking for (innocent) America to be put on trial, or to renegotiate treaties. How about we (America) stop being cruel? There's no way around it- blowing up people, places, infrastructure, and destroying the environment while doing so is immoral. Tell me what principle beats that.

". . . California already requires that by the end of 2021 some publicly traded companies based in the state must have at least three women on their boards of directors, up from the 2018 requirement of one woman. Last month, the legislature mandated that by the end of 2021 at least one director shall be Black, Latino, Hispanic, Asian, Pacific Islander, Native American, Native Hawaiian or Alaskan Native, or identify as LGBTQ. And by 2022, boards with nine or more directors must include at least three government-favored minorities. . . .
This is a tinfoil conspiracy theory, right?

Please. Tell me this is satire or bunkum from some ISIS blog.

Back
Top Bottom