• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

All 4 living former presidents say Trump’s claim that they wanted a border wall is false

From Global News

All 4 living former presidents say Trump’s claim that they wanted a border wall is false

President Donald Trump’s recent claim that his predecessors endorsed his idea of a wall at the Mexican border got no support from the ex-presidents’ club.

Trump stated in a Rose Garden news conference Friday: “This should have been done by all of the presidents that preceded me. And they all know it. Some of them have told me that we should have done it.”

FACT CHECK: Mexico is not paying for the border wall, despite what Trump says

THE FACTS: The four living ex-presidents do not back him up on this claim.

COMMENT:-

Since William Lyon Mackenzie-King (Canada's PM throughout WWII was receiving his political advice from a Ouijha Board, his dog, and his dead mother, I cannot say that Mr. Trump's claim to have discussed this matter with former Presidents and that those Presidents support his position is false.

But ...

So?

He didn't claim "living" presidents.

You have nothing, but wasted cyberspace.

Yet you persist in lying.
And what does that second sentence even mean?

My only question to you is , have the real people in your life discovered your duplicity yet ?

From Global News

President Donald Trump’s recent claim that his predecessors endorsed his idea of a wall at the Mexican border got no support from the ex-presidents’ club.

Trump stated in a Rose Garden news conference Friday: “This should have been done by all of the presidents that preceded me. And they all know it. Some of them have told me that we should have done it.”

Since William Lyon Mackenzie-King (Canada's PM throughout WWII was receiving his political advice from a Ouijha Board, his dog, and his dead mother, I cannot say that Mr. Trump's claim to have discussed this matter with former Presidents and that those Presidents support his position is false.

But ...

Border fence started going up in 1994. Who was in office then? Construction continued through the Clinton and Bush administrations and into the Obama administration where his DHS decided that money would be better spent on environmental impact statements than on border security.

Gee, I wonder what that whole "secure fence act" thing was then?

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk

“This should have been done by all of the presidents that preceded me. And they all know it. Some of them have told me that we should have done it.

So did they talk with Trump or not?

I read the article yesterday. It said former President Jimmy Carter declines to comment.

If so it's been updated. From the article:

“I have not discussed the border wall with President Trump, and do not support him on the issue,” said Jimmy Carter.

As usual, this comes down to the deciphering of TrumpSpeak - which is not an easy task.

Did "some" past POTUS office holders advocate for and sign bills to fund building physical barriers on the border? Yep.

Did Trump talk to "some of them" and get the impression that they favored placing more (or better) barriers on the border? Maybe.

Did all (or all living?) past POTUS office holders even converse with Trump on the matter? Nope.

The difficulty is trying to discern Trump's meaning from his word salad (aka TrumpSpeak). He seems to want to point out that he is not the first (or only?) POTUS to want more effective border security and to advocate building a physical barrier as part of that effort.

My verdict - TrumpSpeak works and/or fails in mysterious ways.

I dont know about Carter..but I DO know there is video evidence of Clinton, Bush AND Obama not only proudly boasting of their achievement in building walls but in their effectiveness in fighting illegal immigration.

But NOW those ****ing liars are desperate to draw a distinction between a 'wall' and a fence'.

because of COURSE they are.

****ing hypocrites, the lot of them.

So which of the former Presidents talked with Trump and told him they support him on this effort?

If so it's been updated. From the article:

John Plaster has an age old saying which holds true. “ if just one part of the story does not ring true, it’s most likely an outright lie.

As usual, this comes down to the deciphering of TrumpSpeak - which is not an easy task.

Did "some" past POTUS office holders advocate for and sign bills to fund building physical barriers on the border? Yep.

Did Trump talk to "some of them" and get the impression that they favored placing more (or better) barriers on the border? Maybe.

Did all (or all living?) past POTUS office holders even converse with Trump on the matter? Nope.

The difficulty is trying to discern Trump's meaning from his word salad (aka TrumpSpeak). He seems to want to point out that he is not the first (or only?) POTUS to want more effective border security and to advocate building a physical barrier as part of that effort.

My verdict - TrumpSpeak works and/or fails in mysterious ways.

In other words, using the standard applied to most people, Trump lied about speaking with former Presidents about the wall and more than one of them them in those conversations expressing support for his current efforts. But because we all expect Trump to lie, we use a non-existent bar of 'truth' and credit him with meaning something different than what he did say. :roll:

John Plaster has an age old saying which holds true. “ if just one part of the story does not ring true, it’s most likely an outright lie.

So, you were wrong about Carter, and instead of just admitting that and acknowledging it, you dismiss the comment as FAKE NEWS!!! because.....something something!

That's about what I expected.

Trump claimed they SPOKE to him on the matter, he lied again. Ten to one he lies in tonights hail mary, care to wager ?
Are you saying the headline is a lie?

So, you were wrong about Carter, and instead of just admitting that and acknowledging it, you dismiss the comment as FAKE NEWS!!! because.....something something!

That's about what I expected.
I wasn’t wrong about former President Carter ( why are you communists always disrespectful ). Yesterday this same topic was brought up, and He had no comment.

In other words, using the standard applied to most people, Trump lied about speaking with former Presidents about the wall and more than one of them them in those conversations expressing support for his current efforts. But because we all expect Trump to lie, we use a non-existent bar of 'truth' and credit him with meaning something different than what he did say. :roll:

Yep, that is exactly how TrumpSpeak works (or fails). The general theme may be loosely based on some partial element of truth but the message includes much that is clearly BS, obvious lies and/or distortions of fact.

Maybe not while they were president, but they all, with the exception of Carter, at one time during their political careers voted for lawful, secure borders; physical infrastructure, fences.

In 2006, Jr. senator Obama Voted YES on building a fence along the Mexican border; physical infrastructure enhancements to prevent unlawful border entry.

Barack Obama on Immigration

Pres. G.W. Bush:
"We're a nation of laws, and we must enforce our laws,"
"America needs to secure our borders--and with your help, my administration is taking steps to do so. We’re increasing worksite enforcement, deploying fences and advanced technologies to stop illegal crossings."

George W. Bush on Immigration

Pres. Bill Clinton:
"We must not tolerate illegal immigration. Since 1992, we have increased our Border Patrol by over 35%; deployed underground sensors, infrared night scopes and encrypted radios; built miles of new fences; and installed massive amounts of new lighting."

Bill Clinton on Immigration

Pres. Carter
He pretty much looked the other way while illegals were coming over the southern border in droves.

No it does not. You just pulled that out of our ass.
This is what the article says...

"I have not discussed the border wall with President Trump, and do not support him on the issue,” said Jimmy Carter.

Why lie about something that can be debunked with one click? You must be channeling your Dear Leader.

It's bad enough that Trump lies. Now he has his Covfefe Fan Base lying too.

Border fence started going up in 1994. Who was in office then? Construction continued through the Clinton and Bush administrations and into the Obama administration where his DHS decided that money would be better spent on environmental impact statements than on border security.

That's a nice new goal post you've erected.

But in response to the one the OP is kicking towards, which President talked with Trump?

FWIW, support for a 'wall' in location X in 1994 doesn't imply for support for a 'wall' everywhere else along the southern border any more than supporting funding for 10 fighter jets in 1996 means that you must (or will) support buying 1,000 fighter jets in 2019. Or that if you support expanding the interstate in State Y in 1996 that you must, therefore, support any expansion of the interstate system, anywhere and everywhere, for all of the rest of time.

Maybe not while they were president, but they all, with the exception of Carter, at one time during their political careers voted for lawful, secure borders; physical infrastructure, fences.

In 2006, jr. senator Obama Voted YES on building a fence along the Mexican border; physical infrastructure enhancements to prevent unlawful border entry.

Barack Obama on Immigration

Pres. G.W. Bush:
"We're a nation of laws, and we must enforce our laws,"
"America needs to secure our borders--and with your help, my administration is taking steps to do so. We’re increasing worksite enforcement, deploying fences and advanced technologies to stop illegal crossings."

George W. Bush on Immigration

Pres. Bill Clinton:
We must not tolerate illegal immigration. Since 1992, we have increased our Border Patrol by over 35%; deployed underground sensors, infrared night scopes and encrypted radios; built miles of new fences; and installed massive amounts of new lighting.

Bill Clinton on Immigration

Pres. Carter
He pretty much looked the other way while illegals were coming over the border in droves.

None supported 5 Billion for a stupid wall.....Get over it...The What Abouts ain't getting trump a wall

From Global News

But ...

The headline should have been a lot more clear for the easily confused.

This headline would be too long but it is the gist of this story:

"Trump claimed he spoke with former Presidents who told him that they should have done it. All 4 former Presidents publicly announced that they have not said any such thing to Trump. Trump lied."

So what is the lie? That they wanted the wall or that they told Trump so?

Nobody knows what the lie is but them and that is the point... getting worked up over it, or even caring in the slightest, is pointless.

Do you honestly think any of them even TALKED about it with Trump?

I don't care... the point is that nobody knows what is a lie or isn't, in this case. Why waste a mili-second of time debating who lied?

Maybe it was this wall. Errrr....fence. Ummmm...I mean...barrier...NOT wall...because walls are racist.

View attachment 67247560

Exactly, and the left is here to remind you that you are "immoral" if you support racist fences, barriers, walls. :lol:

Liars, big pots calling the kettle, all of them... and then they think they have the authority to call Trump a liar.

That's a nice new goal post you've erected.

But in response to the one the OP is kicking towards, which President talked with Trump?

FWIW, support for a 'wall' in location X in 1994 doesn't imply for support for a 'wall' everywhere else along the southern border any more than supporting funding for 10 fighter jets in 1996 means that you must (or will) support buying 1,000 fighter jets in 2019. Or that if you support expanding the interstate in State Y in 1996 that you must, therefore, support any expansion of the interstate system, anywhere and everywhere, for all of the rest of time.

"Just because you supported and funded a wall doesn't mean you want a wall"? And I'm the one changing the goal posts?

Obama is the only recent president who decided to forego expanding the wall project. Then again, he was also the only recent president to tell illegal aliens living in the US that they wouldn't get caught if they voted.

Exactly, and the left is here to remind you that you are "immoral" if you support racist fences, barriers, walls. :lol:

Liars, big pots calling the kettle, all of them... and then they think they have the authority to call Trump a liar.

trump is a liar and a fear mongering idiot, trying to get his base of angry resentful white people to support his stupid wall...Got it?................Good

Back
Top Bottom