• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

All 4 living former presidents say Trump’s claim that they wanted a border wall is false

You're probably correct, but I have this (almost) unbounded faith in the essential goodness and intelligence of other people - I just don't let it override common sense if I have to actually deal with them in person.

If we all had to do this in person, like say for instance, standing around in the town square, several things would be a lot different:

1. A goodly number of the tough talking ass clowns would have a black eye and would mostly likely stop showing up.

2. Discussions would not only be a lot more polite, they might even be cordial.

3. People would be less likely to stubbornly cling to crap they know is nonsense.

4. Just SHOWING up in person would lead to a collective sense that we're all standing around and should probably formulate plans for constructive action.

I sure do wish we would gradually begin to adopt a sort of code of conduct where we at least try to treat each other as if we're in person, especially since so many of us have known each online for so long.

When the Leon Russell "Leon Lifers" first started on Yahoo Groups, there were a few hiccups at first but we very quickly became something of a family. Yes of course a great big slightly dysfunctional whacky family but a family just the same.

It isn't always easy to maintain universal respect for each other but at least we can try.

---Oh yeah, we'd have beer and other refreshments which would most likely lubricate the social gears somewhat.

What "straw man"?

Mr. Trump said that they all TOLD HIM that they supported HIS PLAN. All four of the former Presidents say that he never talked to them about it and they never talked to him about it.

The point is NOT whether the four former Presidents favoured SOME "border barrier" of SOME nature in SOME places but whether they actually did what Mr. Trump specifically said that they did.

The options here are:

1. Mr. Trump is telling the truth and four former Presidents of the United States of America are lying; or
  2. four former Presidents of the United States of America are telling the truth and Mr. Trump is lying.

You can get REALLY good odds if you want to put your money down on Option 1, but the ROI on Option 2 means that you would have to wager in the neighbourhood of $1,000,000 in order to win enough to cover the postage on the letter in which your cheque is mailed to you.

Again, it's topic drift. The headline referred to support of a wall by former presidents, not that he spoke to them. He said they supported the wall. He did not say 'that they all TOLD HIM that they supported HIS PLAN.'

And of note, again, none of the former presidents were actually asked. All responses came from spokesmen. Obama's didn't even respond but provided clips of speeches.

Again, it's topic drift. The headline referred to support of a wall by former presidents, not that he spoke to them. He said they supported the wall. He did not say 'that they all TOLD HIM that they supported HIS PLAN.'

And of note, again, none of the former presidents were actually asked. All responses came from spokesmen. Obama's didn't even respond but provided clips of speeches.

None of these former Presidents...then or now would have supported , spending 5 Billion on a useless wall......trump and his goons tried floating a What About...They failed

No you are incorrect, and I quote:

"This should have been done by all of the presidents that preceded me. And they all know it. Some of them have told me that we should have done it.”

Read the last line, its a lie. In fact its a mega porkie!!

What dont you understand about the last line ?

None of these former Presidents...then or now would have supported , spending 5 Billion on a useless wall......trump and his goons tried floating a What About...They failed

1) you are now changing to something else entirely.

2) they would support using a wall, and all did so.

No you are incorrect, and I quote:

"This should have been done by all of the presidents that preceded me. And they all know it. Some of them have told me that we should have done it.”

Read the last line, its a lie. In fact its a mega porkie!!

What dont you understand about the last line ?

I understand it just fine. I don't know if you do. But it still doesn't support the headline.

I understand it just fine. I don't know if you do. But it still doesn't support the headline.

It does support the premise that Trump lied. which is far more relevant than the headline, agree ?

1) you are now changing to something else entirely.

2) they would support using a wall, and all did so.

Not a 5 Billion monstrosity...Big difference,,,trump tried a What About....It fooled no one......Kind like this whole wall travesty...Which looks a giant diversion....From Mueller and friends...Stay tuned

It does support the premise that Trump lied. which is far more relevant than the headline, agree ?

Really, that's debatable -- but again, my post referred specifically to the headline.

Not a 5 Billion monstrosity...Big difference,,,trump tried a What About....It fooled no one......Kind like this whole wall travesty...Which looks a giant diversion....From Mueller and friends...Stay tuned

Incorrect. All supported use of a wall, and without digging into specifics, all likely added to it. There was significant build under Bush. Again, this $5 billion isn't what many here keep implying - it's NOT a physical wall the length of the border, which would easily be 5+ times as much. It's extending the wall and adding additional improvements along areas where they are having problems. And also worth noting, these areas have become an issue BECAUSE the physical barrier has been so effective, and traffic is moving to more remote areas.

Really, that's debatable -- but again, my post referred specifically to the headline.

No debate needed, read Trumps quote. The man is liar.

...it's NOT a physical wall the length of the border, which would easily be 5+ times as much. It's extending the wall and adding additional improvements along areas where they are having problems.
Can you cite a single source for that?

The discussion is about another Trump lie...and the thread title says that...and Trump's words prove that.

It's in that sentence, clear as day:

Some of them have told me that we should have done it.

If we all had to do this in person, like say for instance, standing around in the town square, several things would be a lot different:

1. A goodly number of the tough talking ass clowns would have a black eye and would mostly likely stop showing up.

2. Discussions would not only be a lot more polite, they might even be cordial.

3. People would be less likely to stubbornly cling to crap they know is nonsense.

4. Just SHOWING up in person would lead to a collective sense that we're all standing around and should probably formulate plans for constructive action.

I sure do wish we would gradually begin to adopt a sort of code of conduct where we at least try to treat each other as if we're in person, especially since so many of us have known each online for so long.

When the Leon Russell "Leon Lifers" first started on Yahoo Groups, there were a few hiccups at first but we very quickly became something of a family. Yes of course a great big slightly dysfunctional whacky family but a family just the same.

It isn't always easy to maintain universal respect for each other but at least we can try.

---Oh yeah, we'd have beer and other refreshments which would most likely lubricate the social gears somewhat.

I agree.

You might not realize it, but the "protest world" has gone for hell in a handbasket in the past 60 years.

When I was leading them, "protests" were FUN. We had bands, clowns, singers, food, drink, and not a little "green vegetable matter". People smiled and talked to each other.

Today the "protesters" all look like they are on their way to the dentist (apologies to all dentists, but it IS a figure of speech).

PS - We got just about as much done then as the "protesters" are accomplishing now - maybe more.

Back
Top Bottom