• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ahmaud Arbery's killers found guilty on all counts in federal hate crime trial

You are blaming him for walking into a house to get a drink of water. He did the same thing that we all have done, yet we are alive to tell the tale.

He should be able to walk into an under-construction house to get a drink of water. That should not be a reason for him to be gunned down by a bunch of redneck vigilantes.
I always bring water with me when I hike. I don't think I would go into a house under construction that didn't belong to me. He should not have been gunned down but that's what happened. Different decisions would have lead to different outcomes. I guess I am blaming him for walking in to a get a drink of water. It's unfortunate that certain people are treated differently. I just deal in reality.

No. That was never my take in the Arbery case but apparently you’re too lazy to look that stuff up and just hateful enough to see an opportunity to piss slander on anyone you dislike.

The idea of a “hate crime” conviction on top of LWOP is nothing but social posturing. It fixes nothing, punishes nothing and promotes a concept of. Entrance rather than Justice.
Sometimes it's better to just keep your mouth shut.. pick your battles..this isn't the time to be saying this nonsense.

It just makes you look like you are defending the three turds.

Were they convicted AND SENTENCED for the murder before this trial or not? Why even have this trial if they all got life in the criminal trial? Is it just an administrative thing that has to get done if charges are filed? Does that make sense?

Again, what does this conviction do to make life in America better?
Ask the family. I'm sure they think it's fine. Ask a minority, I'm sure the majority get it.

If a group of black men beat up a white kid that's a hate crime.
If a group of white men beat up a black kid that's a hate crime.

Fairly simple

Sometimes it's better to just keep your mouth shut.. pick your battles..this isn't the time to be saying this nonsense.

It just makes you look like you are defending the three turds.
You guys only see what you want to anyway. Why is it always "shut the **** up and think like we do" with you people? Is that your interpretation of free speech?

You guys only see what you want to anyway. Why is it always "shut the **** up and think like we do" with you people? Is that your interpretation of free speech?
No I'm just saying with this case and only this case this isn't a hill worth dying on.

That’s excellent. Now all those guys that were sentenced to life without the possibility of parole will never get out of prison…which wasn’t going to happen anyway.

Well, at least the race baiters will now feel better about themselves…at least until they have another incident to get pissed off about.

Actually Roddie Bryan was given the possibility of parole after serving a mandatory sentence for 30 years. Granted he'll be 82, but plenty of people reach that age and then some.

Ask the family. I'm sure they think it's fine. Ask a minority, I'm sure the majority get it.

If a group of black men beat up a white kid that's a hate crime.
If a group of white men beat up a black kid that's a hate crime.

Fairly simple
You're STILL not talking about anything that makes a material difference. If we're merely going to charge, try, convict and sentence people because it makes us feel better about ourselves then that isn't "justice" in any way, shape or form. The guys that killed Arbery are already sentenced to life. Two of them are sentenced to LWOP. This additional conviction does NOTHING to enhance that sentence. What's the plan now? Will you keep the dead, rotting corpses in a jail cell for another 10 years because that serves "justice" in your warped mind?

But the constitution doesn't allow for this. It's not murder of an entire "ethnic" group or race, when one individual is killed. The only crimes committed in this case, were against a single individual.

This is different than what happened here. This was an entirely separate trial, in federal court, for the same crime. Enhanced charges/sentencing is fine, based on the motive of the perpetrator

Only in terms of harsher sentencing, for the ACTUAL crime committed. IMO, this is all the constitution permits.
Just like being convicted of driving while intoxicated, you didn't actually get in a wreck, you didn't actually kill or maim anyone, but you did threated and put at risk a whole group of persons and property (theoretically) - those that were in your proximity. I mean you might have truly only been weaving from lane to lane, and then eventually made it to your driveway, with you and the community none-the-worse for wear. But when you committed the crime of DWI, you actually endangered that community, and displayed, for all to witness, your lack of respect for the community's safety. So you are not just slapped on the hand for weaving, but for the greater crime against the community, which you callously disregard (theoretically)

No doubt long sentences for all
1 day for deliberations

edit add link

This was predictable.

And it was the right decision. After reading what came out about their racist bullshit, who wouldn't find them guilty? That was a hate crime all the way.

I hope those assholes are in an integrated prison.

Actually Roddie Bryan was given the possibility of parole after serving a mandatory sentence for 30 years. Granted he'll be 82, but plenty of people reach that age and then some.
That's the photographer, right? Sure, lock him up for another million years or whatever. His crimes against humanity warrant nothing less than the most asinine of sentences.

Just like being convicted of driving while intoxicated, you didn't actually get in a wreck, you didn't actually kill or maim anyone, but you did threated and put at risk a whole group of persons and property (theoretically) - those that were in your proximity. I mean you might have truly only been weaving from lane to lane, and then eventually made it to your driveway, with you and the community none-the-worse for wear. But when you committed the crime of DWI, you actually endangered that community, and displayed, for all to witness, your lack of respect for the community's safety. So you are not just slapped on the hand for weaving, but for the greater crime against the community, which you callously disregard (theoretically)
Are you seriously advocating for criminal penalties for thought crime? A DWI is the result of an ACTION, not merely of a thought. Do you not understand the difference?

Were they convicted AND SENTENCED for the murder before this trial or not? Why even have this trial if they all got life in the criminal trial? Is it just an administrative thing that has to get done if charges are filed? Does that make sense?

This conviction gives his parents another step in satisfaction that their sons murderers are not only convicted of his murder, but also they did it because of his race. And quite honestly they deserve that.

You are blaming him for walking into a house to get a drink of water. He did the same thing that we all have done, yet we are alive to tell the tale.

He should be able to walk into an under-construction house to get a drink of water. That should not be a reason for him to be gunned down by a bunch of redneck vigilantes.

I posted this last year. When we were building our house (in a neighborhood), we were the 7th or so of what would ultimately be dozens of homes. My husband and I used to wander to the ones being constructed so we could glean ideas for our own place.

Thank goodness nobody decided to shoot us for that.

This conviction gives his parents another step in satisfaction that their sons murderers are not only convicted of his murder, but also they did it because of his race.

I still say it was because of his activity in the neighborhood that they followed him and the confrontation ensued, and not just because he was black.

Thats just me. Its not a nuance that I'm willing to keep arguing about though. Other than to say that I dont really agree with the concept of "hate crime" prosecution. Murder is murder. A separate trial and punishment for 'racism', yeahhhhhh I have a lot of issues with that.

But its all been discussed, the punishments have not been changed and this is all really moot.

The state took care of this!

Gregory and Travis McMichael, white father and son convicted of murdering Black jogger Ahmaud Arbery, have been sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole plus 20 years.

The McMichaels’ neighbour and co-defendant William “Roddie” Bryan Jr was sentenced to life with the possibility of parole after 30 years served.

That's the photographer, right? Sure, lock him up for another million years or whatever. His crimes against humanity warrant nothing less than the most asinine of sentences.

Okay

Just like being convicted of driving while intoxicated, you didn't actually get in a wreck, you didn't actually kill or maim anyone, but you did threated and put at risk a whole group of persons and property (theoretically) - those that were in your proximity.
This is not in any way analogous.
I mean you might have truly only been weaving from lane to lane, and then eventually made it to your driveway, with you and the community none-the-worse for wear. But when you committed the crime of DWI, you actually endangered that community, and displayed, for all to witness, your lack of respect for the community's safety. So you are not just slapped on the hand for weaving, but for the greater crime against the community, which you callously disregard (theoretically)
This just doesn't in any way compare to hate crime.

This conviction gives his parents another step in satisfaction that their sons murderers are not only convicted of his murder, but also they did it because of his race. And quite honestly they deserve that.
That's not "justice". That's "vengeance" and it should NEVER be part of a system for free people. It is one of those things that is the absolute antithesis of personal freedom.

Good. Should send a powerful message to racists everywhere
While the verdict was likely appropriate, I am not a big believer that a few people should pay for the sins of the many. (Christ was the only person that should have paid for the sins of others.)

Justice is never about severity of the law, its about the certainty of it. I really don't want this viewed as "sending a message" to perpetrators but rather to the justice departments of our country that they zealous prosecute hate crimes where ever found and expect appropriate verdicts for that effort.

That's not "justice". That's "vengeance" and it should NEVER be part of a system for free people. It is one of those things that is the absolute antithesis of personal freedom.
Agreed. Too much of our justice system is about vengeance, not justice, including IMHO, hyper long sentences that do not fit the crime and the very existence of the death penalty.

Yet, being unvaxxed and unmasked in 2020 you were 100x deadlier than a drunk driver, but few acknowledged that as a crime against the community .... instead, we had to indulge the selfish that were inconvenienced by wearing a mask

sorry for the sidebar, but just needed to put your post into perspective.

Were they convicted AND SENTENCED for the murder before this trial or not?

They were not. They were charged with hate crimes in April. They were convicted of murder in November. Had they not been charged with hate crimes in April, and walked from the murder charge, there would have been no punishment at all.

Why even have this trial if they all got life in the criminal trial? Is it just an administrative thing that has to get done if charges are filed? Does that make sense?

See above. It's very clear. Not sure why you are struggling with this. You are smarter than this.

Well, three murdering douchebags are off the street, and the hate crime charges made sure of this, if the murder trial had gone in another direction.

I always bring water with me when I hike. I don't think I would go into a house under construction that didn't belong to me. He should not have been gunned down but that's what happened. Different decisions would have lead to different outcomes. I guess I am blaming him for walking in to a get a drink of water. It's unfortunate that certain people are treated differently. I just deal in reality.

White person reality. I've walked into probably 30 houses that were under construction.

I had no problems.

I am a white person.

I guarantee you if I'd been jogging in that neighborhood, and I walked into that house for a drink of water, I'd be alive today to talk about it.

Why is it always "**** that black kid. He should have known his place" with you people?

I posted this last year. When we were building our house (in a neighborhood), we were the 7th or so of what would ultimately be dozens of homes. My husband and I used to wander to the ones being constructed so we could glean ideas for our own place.

Thank goodness nobody decided to shoot us for that.

Well, you would have been safe. You're white.

One thing it can do is ensure that a single person cannot completely pardon them for their crimes. It means the Governor, whoever that may be in the future, cannot decide to let them off completely, as it would take both a governor and a President now to do that.

Back
Top Bottom