• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ahmaud Arbery's killers found guilty on all counts in federal hate crime trial

I don't disagree with that. But the intent was prosecuted already, in the murder charge. A federal "hate crime" prosecution is not the same. It is specifically targeting and punishing thoughts. The action has already been prosecuted. IMO it is just not compatible with the constitution.
Although I disagree I can see where you're coming from.

That’s excellent. Now all those guys that were sentenced to life without the possibility of parole will never get out of prison…which wasn’t going to happen anyway.

Well, at least the race baiters will now feel better about themselves…at least until they have another incident to get pissed off about.
You mean another incident for you to show how white men are the true victims in todays world.

Regret they got caught.
That's 100% what I'm saying. I'm sure they regret the video. They regret getting involved in the first place.

I don't disagree with that. But the intent was prosecuted already, in the murder charge. A federal "hate crime" prosecution is not the same. It is specifically targeting and punishing thoughts. The action has already been prosecuted. IMO it is just not compatible with the constitution.
It is prosecuting crimes committed based on hate of the victims color, sexual orientation and such

That’s excellent. Now all those guys that were sentenced to life without the possibility of parole will never get out of prison…which wasn’t going to happen anyway.

Well, at least the race baiters will now feel better about themselves…at least until they have another incident to get pissed off about.

If this didn't piss you off, nothing will - except a bunch of murdering bigots getting arrested and sentenced to life in prison. That piss you off more than the fact that they killed an innocent kid?

Race baiters???

Am I a race baiter?

That's 100% what I'm saying. I'm sure they regret the video. They regret getting involved in the first place.
That's the thing about supposedly having a brain, it should keep you out of regretful situations.

People do that all the time. We built a cabin in the mountains and all the neighbors walked through it during construction. Kids played on the site. Hell my wife and I have done that with houses for sale in our old neighborhood, should we be dead for it now?
The end result here is horrible. My question is shouldn't this kid have realized poking around in a white neighborhood in Georgia is dangerous? It's wise to know your audience.

The end result here is horrible. My question is shouldn't this kid have realized poking around in a white neighborhood in Georgia is dangerous? It's wise to know your audience.
I think he lived in the area himself. Most joggers don't go too far from home for a run.

If you dont believe in hate crimes then you certainallyl feel that if someone is convicted of shooting and killing a cop then there should be NO extra charges, right?
What other constitutional charge, besides murder, are you talking about? You can't, at least constitutionally, punish someones thoughts or beliefs. You can only punish their actions.

You mean another incident for you to show how white men are the true victims in todays world.
No. That was never my take in the Arbery case but apparently you’re too lazy to look that stuff up and just hateful enough to see an opportunity to piss slander on anyone you dislike.

The idea of a “hate crime” conviction on top of LWOP is nothing but social posturing. It fixes nothing, punishes nothing and promotes a concept of. Entrance rather than Justice.

If this didn't piss you off, nothing will - except a bunch of murdering bigots getting arrested and sentenced to life in prison. That piss you off more than the fact that they killed an innocent kid?
What does this conviction accomplish that the criminal one didn’t? What? Are the sentences longer now? Is Arbery less dead? Are we now a less racist nation? Tell me, oh wise one, what was made better by this?

I think he lived in the area himself. Most joggers don't go too far from home for a run.
It sucks but if I was a black person living amongst white hicks I'd be careful where I went. He may have been curious about what was up inside that house but he should have known that someone might think it looks suspicious.

How So? To hide their feelings, or do you think it will change their mindset?
No! To change their behavior! We all have thoughts we know better than to act on.

Understand there is no standalone hate crime in any jurisdiction. There must be an underlying/attendant crime. Such as murder. Conviction of a hate crime can only affect the sentence.

What does this conviction accomplish that the criminal one didn’t? What? Are the sentences longer now? Is Arbery less dead? Are we now a less racist nation? Tell me, oh wise one, what was made better by this?
It's like having harsher punishments for suicide bombers.

Doesn't matter. When hate charges were filed, the murder trial hadn't even begun yet. Quite possible that hate charges were filed in case, you know, they walked.

It is prosecuting crimes committed based on hate of the victims color, sexual orientation and such
which to me is unconstitutional. The action can and has been adjudicated. Someones thoughts, at least IMO, can not be.

Is that the case only for blacks in white neighborhoods or does that also apply to anyone poking around in property that isn’t theirs?

which to me is unconstitutional. The action can and has been adjudicated. Someones thoughts, at least IMO, can not be.
Been law since 68, any challenges to it being unconstitutional
by SCOTUS are long past

Is that the case only for blacks in white neighborhoods or does that also apply to anyone poking around in property that isn’t theirs?
I believe in not putting yourself into bad situations no matter what color you are.

I'm hugely conflicted on this. They were already, rightfully and justly convicted for their actions. Hate crime legislation seeks to criminalize thoughts, which I don't believe in. I honestly have no idea how hate crime legislation has survived constitutional scrutiny.
Hate crimes are, IMO, crimes against not just the individual (Aubry), but crimes against a group, like a racial, ethnic, sexual orientation, or such (fat people or skinny people, I don't know), such that it carries with it a greater risk to others in the community. Even if you just like to trip pretty blondes as they cross the street, just because you have some internal hatred for blondes, and you have frequently expressed your hatred, and then you are actually caught doing the tripping, and are subsequently convicted with an appropriate penalty, but then because of the special circumstances and danger to blondes, your sentence is enhanced due to your acting out on your hatred. You could have hated from a chair on the sidewalk with just speech, but you acted out illegally with physical assault and threaten to do so again, so more punishment for you as a hate crime.

Wow. Hopefully things are changing.

Those three men will never get out of prison.

Good.

They probably wish they had just sat on the couch and cracked another beer, would have been better for everybody.

Back
Top Bottom