• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

A Question for Atheists. Would you get treatment from a doctor who believes in God?

Atheists, would you get treatment from a doctor who believes in God?

• Total voters
Re: A Question for Atheists. Would you get treatment from a doctor who believes in

Again, I was responding to scientists in the Academy of Sciences being atheist (90% I believe), which is American.
There are a lot more religious people in the world than atheists, so I wouldn't be surprised either way, they are still less likely than the gen pop of America to be religious. They certainly try to avoid having the conversation hypothesized in the OP altogether.

Okay. Well tbh you confused me because you were actually responding to this:

Paschendale doesn't specify which academy of science he was referring to. Fifty-six different countries have an academy of science, and in most of those they call it the Academy of Science. In the US there are 8 different academies of science.

Funnily enough, Ireland doesn't appear to have one.

A Question for Atheists. Would you get treatment from a doctor who believes in

Okay. Well tbh you confused me because you were actually responding to this:

Paschendale doesn't specify which academy of science he was referring to. Fifty-six different countries have an academy of science, and in most of those they call it the Academy of Science. In the US there are 8 different academies of science.

Funnily enough, Ireland doesn't appear to have one.

No he hasn't, you could ask him for a source I guess, but I've heard the claim made before and know he's talking about the national academy of America.

It's called the Royal Irish Academy, been knocking around since the 18th century.

Re: A Question for Atheists. Would you get treatment from a doctor who believes in

And now we're up to 27 Yeses and still 0 votes for No. Nice, X, nice.

Re: A Question for Atheists. Would you get treatment from a doctor who believes in Go

So the real question you're asking is whether or not atheists think people who believe in god are dumb or mentally ill. You're skipping that (presuming it) and therefore your point is invalid. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that you do indeed have a point to make. Anyway, false premise.

As one atheist, I don't presume to know anything about an individual who believes in god. I disagree with them on the issue, but so what? I also think the movie Juno sucks, but I wouldn't refuse to see a doctor who thinks it's the greatest movie of the 21st century. Juno is just a terrible movie. Believing in god is illogical. But so what? On both matters -- if it makes you happy, I'm happy for you. See you on the operating table.

I totally agree with you about Juno.

Re: A Question for Atheists. Would you get treatment from a doctor who believes in Go

I know they are different things. But I do not think our assumptions meet. You assume that it is an illness that can wait while you switch to other doctors of which there may be plenty. This I agree that the doctor should put faith in non religious but scientific methodologically supported meant to conduct the treatment.

However I was assuming that we were speaking of a serious urgent illness, trauma, etc. In such cases what is one's religious orientation should not be a concern prior to the treatment.

Actually I meant more of a situation where you would have the time to "vet" the doctor. If it were an emergency medical situation I presume nobody would turn down any doc's care.

My qualifications for whether or not I would seek treatment from a doctor are limited to his or her medical expertise, not their religious views. I have had excellent doctors that were probably Christians (I didn't ask, they didn't make it a point to tell me, but I picked up on a few clues). I've also had horrible doctors that were Christians - handing out quasi-medications and encouraging prayer as a substitute or at very least supplement to medical treatment.

That said, if they play up the religion too much I will probably seek a different doctor, since I prefer not to be proselytized to or hassled over my beliefs. I don't think there is any reason to believe a doctor's skills or knowledge are suspect simply because they are religious. My only problem would be when religion crept into their treatments and interfered with actual medical advice.

I do believe that theism qualifies as a mental illness, though it doesn't necessarily render someone incapable of functioning, any more than depression or other MI does. Someone can be a brilliant scientist and a complete imbecile in other respects. Some doctors I've met have no apparent tact or compassion and hold some pretty dumbfounding beliefs regarding even medical treatment, so it's hardly a surprise that some might believe the world is 5000 years old or whatever. Unless you are suggesting though that a theistic doctor will purposely allow a patient to die out of religious delusions, or is using sermon as medical advice, I don't see how it's relevant. All i care about as a patient is having my illness treated and being shown basic respect, including being apprised of all medical options.

Actually I meant more of a situation where you would have the time to "vet" the doctor. If it were an emergency medical situation I presume nobody would turn down any doc's care.

Aha, well then only when there is no deist alternative I might. Not an option there, so sorry ;)

I do believe that theism qualifies as a mental illness, though it doesn't necessarily render someone incapable of functioning, any more than depression or other MI does. Someone can be a brilliant scientist and a complete imbecile in other respects. Some doctors I've met have no apparent tact or compassion and hold some pretty dumbfounding beliefs regarding even medical treatment, so it's hardly a surprise that some might believe the world is 5000 years old or whatever. Unless you are suggesting though that a theistic doctor will purposely allow a patient to die out of religious delusions, or is using sermon as medical advice, I don't see how it's relevant. All i care about as a patient is having my illness treated and being shown basic respect, including being apprised of all medical options.

So long as their delusion remains encapsulated, then their level of functioning should not be impaired.

encapsulated delusion - Tags: DELUSIONS DEFINITIONS

Are people now starting to see why I asked the question?

No. There are still zero votes for "No." Same as the "Thanksgiving" thread. Hopefully, the closest thing you'll get to a "no" in this thread is the one I gave you at the beginning of this reply.

Ooops! I voted and commented earlier, but I am not an Athiest. I guess my opinion doesn't qualify. Sowwie! :(

I ask because I see the argument that believers in God are just not that smart, capable or well educated and may even be delusional or mentally ill. Do you trust a doctors that are believers?

Answers are "yes", "no", and "only if there isn't an atheist alternative"

Working on the poll.

This has probably been said already, but science and religion are separate disciplines. I don't ask my doctor his religious faith because I assume (unless given evidence to the contrary) that he's been thus far able to keep his faith and science from making a mess out of each other.

Your ignorance of the effects of delusions and mental illness? Don't worry about it, it's very common.

Nope

I'm not an atheist but I've had an unpleasant close encounter with a doctor who was a Christian that got all righteous on me. I have no problem with theists, but I do have a problem with dogmatists who allow their professionalism to be tainted by doctrine.

People who let their religious views override their medical principles should be stripped of their licenses, since those views are not based in empirical evidence and may therefore not be for the greater good of the patient.

So yes, I'd let myself be treated by a doctor who believes in God, as long as God has nothing to do with the medical protocols they have sworn to follow.

Yes, I see why you asked the question. You asked it because you believe there are ravening hordes of faithless atheists out there persecuting Christians for their faith and seeking to root them out of all professions and positions of responsibility. You think atheists conflate theological disagreement with idiocy and mental illness and cannot distinguish between disagreeing with someone's beliefs and seeing them as a dangerous lunatic.

The results of the poll and the content of the thread have thrown a great deal of light on the truth of your assumptions.

I'm no atheist but I would suspect that most rational atheists believe that a person of faith metaphysical beliefs does not impede on their ability to practice medicine. In fact, I've seen people of Christian faith have an issue with a physician of another faith (Muslim).

I'm no atheist but I would suspect that most rational atheists believe that a person of faith metaphysical beliefs does not impede on their ability to practice medicine. In fact, I've seen people of Christian faith have an issue with a physician of another faith (Muslim).

It would be an interesting turn around. Would theists not see an atheist doctor or a theist doctor of a different religion?

I'm pretty certain the last doctor I saw was a Hindu, so no. I get treatment from a doctor who believes in Gods.

I hope it's to show that we all have a lot more in common with each other than differences and that we should stop letting things as silly as religion divide us.

I ask because I see the argument that believers in God are just not that smart, capable or well educated and may even be delusional or mentally ill. Do you trust a doctors that are believers?

Working on the poll.

Doesn't matter what they believe, as long as they aren't incompetent.

A Question for Atheists. Would you get treatment from a doctor who believes in

I wouldn't care what religious dogma a doctor prescribes too so long as he/she is qualified and pursues medicine as science. No witch doctors please lol

Working on the poll.

I think its a silly question. I don't think that Christians are necessarily not smart, capable or well educated.

however, I generally don't speak to doctors about their religion. That isn't why I go to the doctor.

There was one time when a doctor brought his religion into the surgery (he subscribed to intelligent design).

I didn't say anything, but never went back. A doctor who believes in intelligent design doesn't have the understanding of science that I believe should be essential to anyone in the health industry.

Back
Top Bottom