• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

A Question for Atheists. Would you get treatment from a doctor who believes in God?

Atheists, would you get treatment from a doctor who believes in God?

• Total voters
Re: A Question for Atheists. Would you get treatment from a doctor who believes in Go

As I said above, I'm pretty sure such a person wouldn't make it through med school.
IDK. If I put my mind to it I can learn things I don't believe in. Disbelief and denial doesn't stop learning but it usually stops everything past learning the basics required to get by. That's the part that would concern me. If you can't put yourself into your work then you're probably not doing a very good job.

Re: A Question for Atheists. Would you get treatment from a doctor who believes in Go

Also, does anyone find it slightly eerie how Doctors refer to their work as their "practice"?
Not at all. People have been "practicing" witchcraft and magic longer than we've had writing! ;)

Biological systems are, by design, all just a little different. It's not as straightforward as working with steel girders and force planes like a structural engineer.

As of now, there are zero "No" votes - nice poll X. Almost as bad as the "Do Atheists Celebrate Thanksgiving?" one. (For newer members, those of you who don't remember, or if you need a nice laugh: here's that thread.)

As of now, there are zero "No" votes - nice poll X. Almost as bad as the "Do Atheists Celebrate Thanksgiving?" one. (For newer members, those of you who don't remember, or if you need a nice laugh: here's that thread.)

That thread is a good lesson in thinking before you post because no matter how old something is, somebody will remember it. That thread was a mistake because it was taken to mean atheists aren't grateful for anything ever. I''m a little surprised how upset some of you seem to be at by this thread. You, for example, have been far more antagonistic toward believers than anything I've posted.

That thread is a good lesson in thinking before you post because no matter how old something is, somebody will remember it.
That thread was a mistake because it was taken to mean atheists aren't grateful for anything ever. I''m a little surprised how upset some of you seem to be at this question. You, for example, have been far more antagonistic toward believers than this thread.

That thread is evidence of where ignorance will lead you. Am I upset about it? Heavens no (pun intended). I just laugh at the hilarity of the near-infinite density of fail concentrated in such a small post.

I voted yes, but it is a fairly silly question.

I've been treated by many doctors who believe in God. I even been treated by some who are Budhist and Hindu. Hell, I shared in several spiritual cleansings in sweat lodges led by a Sioux Medicine Man...although he practiced spiritual healing so maybe you won't think he counted. ;)

The point is, what matters the religion of who treats you for an injury or illness? None of them have ever tried to talk to me about their faith.

That thread is a good lesson in thinking before you post because no matter how old something is, somebody will remember it. That thread was a mistake because it was taken to mean atheists aren't grateful for anything ever. I''m a little surprised how upset some of you seem to be at by this thread. You, for example, have been far more antagonistic toward believers than anything I've posted.

The thing is, X, you keep posting the same kind of stuff over and over again.

If you had made a one-off mistake, I doubt anyone would bring it up so far afterwards. But... this is kind of your MO. You're like this all the time. It's not a "mistake" if you do it over and over. And your apologetics ring hollow in light of that.

You post ignorant threads, you get called out, you sputter for a while, redirecting, excusing, inflaming, then sometimes you pretend to apologize, and then you do it all over again.

It is very clear that you just have this cartoon villain picture of atheists in your head. When you're confronted with the real thing, which is nothing like the cartoon in your head, you sometimes feel sort of obligated to take it back, but it doesn't change the image you have in your head, informed by nothing but your own prejudice.

Blaming this on one thread posted by one atheist out of probably dozens if not hundreds on this site is not an excuse for your comic book vision of atheists. Unless you think it would be fair for me to lump you in with the worst of the Christian conservatives on DP.

Sure! It's the same answer as trusting a doctor who uses pot as a recreational drug. It's his medical knowledge and opinion that matters and as long as he keeps it at home I don't care.

A doctor who's a Creationist, though? :shock:
I'm not sure I could trust a doctor who denies so much biology.

Ever hear of Loma Linda Medical School? It is an SDA school. Creationist to the bone. Some of the finest doctors around come out of there. They don't deny biology. And then there's this guy.

"I never use evolutionary biology in my work. Would I be a better surgeon if I assumed that the brain arose by random events? Of course not. Doctors are detectives. We look for patterns, and in the human body, patterns look very much like they were designed. Doctors know that, from the intricate structure of the human brain to the genetic code, our bodies show astonishing evidence of design. That’s why most doctors -- nearly two-thirds according to national polls -- don’t believe that human beings arose merely by chance and natural selection. Most doctors don’t accept evolutionary biology as an adequate explanation for life. Doctors see, first-hand, the design of life."

Michael Egnor Evolution News & Views March 9 2007

Professor of Neurosurgery at Stony Brook

No biggie. My wife is Native American (card carrier Alabama-Coushatta) and she celebrates Thanksgiving.

I know they are different things. But I do not think our assumptions meet. You assume that it is an illness that can wait while you switch to other doctors of which there may be plenty. This I agree that the doctor should put faith in non religious but scientific methodologically supported meant to conduct the treatment.

However I was assuming that we were speaking of a serious urgent illness, trauma, etc. In such cases what is one's religious orientation should not be a concern prior to the treatment.
First aid? If that's what you are talking about, I would still request another MD at the first mention of any deity or dogmatic reference. If they had the good sense to keep their supernatural convictions to themselves, I would not ask.

First aid? If that's what you are talking about, I would still request another MD at the first mention of any deity or dogmatic reference. If they had the good sense to keep their supernatural convictions to themselves, I would not ask.

That is too much to ask for my taste. In such or similar urgent medical seeking attention situation I would just state "Whatever! Just heal me or whomever urgently asks for help! We'll 'chat' later!"

Ever hear of Loma Linda Medical School? It is an SDA school. Creationist to the bone. Some of the finest doctors around come out of there. They don't deny biology. And then there's this guy.
I should have been more specific, I meant Young Earth Creationists. You have to actually deny biology and a whole slew of other sciences to sign on to that wild notion. And if that's what the doctor is I'd have to literally be dying to let him near me.

Not all Creationist deny evolution, nor even a majority of them. Most major Christian churches have no problem with evolution and I'd bet they're all Creationists in the sense that you've used it. To me, Creationism like that is more about the Origin Question than evolution.

I should have been more specific, I meant Young Earth Creationists. You have to actually deny biology and a whole slew of other sciences to sign on to that wild notion. And if that's what the doctor is I'd have to literally be dying to let him near me.

Not all Creationist deny evolution, nor even a majority of them. Most major Christian churches have no problem with evolution and I'd bet they're all Creationists in the sense that you've used it. To me, Creationism like that is more about the Origin Question than evolution.

Actually most SDA's that I know are YE Creationists. I've met and talked at length with Harold Coffin. I've also met and spoke with members of Geoscience gorup at LLU years ago. They are strong opponents of Darwinian proposed scenarios. Some years ago 1984, Dr Leonard Bailey inserted a baboon heart into Stephanie Fae Beauclair (Baby Fae). She lived for 20-21 days. There was quite a controversy within and without the Church and the University. To be sure, however, I suspect there are OE Creationists at Loma Linda, and probably even a few so called theistic evolutionists. I've not been there for over 20 years.

Actually most SDA's that I know are YE Creationists. I've met and talked at length with Harold Coffin. I've also met and spoke with members of Geoscience gorup at LLU years ago. They are strong opponents of Darwinian proposed scenarios. Some years ago 1984, Dr Leonard Bailey inserted a baboon heart into Stephanie Fae Beauclair (Baby Fae). She lived for 20-21 days. There was quite a controversy within and without the Church and the University. To be sure, however, I suspect there are OE Creationists at Loma Linda, and probably even a few so called theistic evolutionists. I've not been there for over 20 years.
I'll pass, thanks, unless it's an emergency. You've got to put blinders on to accept YEC.

I ask because I see the argument that believers in God are just not that smart, capable or well educated and may even be delusional or mentally ill.

Where are you hearing that argument? I would question the intelligence of anyone who makes such a blanket statement. I don’t think people who believe in God are stupid or uneducated. I just think they are wrong. You can be the smartest person in the world and still be wrong about things. Einstein was wrong about quantum theory.

The thing about a belief in God is for most people it is easily compartmentalized. A doctor can believe in God, or in fairies, or in Big Foot, and still practice science based medicine. Frankly I don’t think the subject should come up. I don’t ask my doctor about his personal beliefs. And the doctor shouldn’t bring his religion into the discussion either.

Now, if the doctor starts prescribing prayer for an ailment then I will be looking elsewhere.

I do believe that being religious indicates a thinking error. It is indicative of a mind that at least in some circumstances tends to 'believe what it wants to believe', despite lack of evidence. I hold that medical care should be evidence based as far as possible, and when it is necessary to do otherwise, a doctor ought to be fully cognizant that this is what they are doing. As in a doctor saying something like "There isn't much good evidence for any good treatment for your ailment, but my intuition tells me to try such and such and so and so. That is my recommendation."

Approaching things from an evidence basis is a habit of mind. I am inclined to wonder what all a doctor who believes in fanciful things might make that mistake on.

So, while I wouldn't refuse treatment from a doctor who believes in god(s), I would take it into account when considering their credibility in recommending treatments.

I ask because I see the argument that believers in God are just not that smart, capable or well educated and may even be delusional or mentally ill. Do you trust a doctors that are believers?

Answers are "yes", "no", and "only if there isn't an atheist alternative"

Working on the poll.

Sure, I'd have no problem with it as long as he was a competent doctor. I'd never even think to ask whether he believed in god or not.

Who? Like Newton, Galileo, or Einstein? Not a one of them would subscribe to the personal god that modern theists espouse. Thomas Jefferson rewrote the bible without the god bits. "Shallow thinking", but, you know, true. Most members of the academy of science are atheists.
What do you mean by 'personal'? Both Newton and Galileo were devoutly religious. Around 50% of the scientific community do subscribe to the concept of a Creator.

A Question for Atheists. Would you get treatment from a doctor who believes in

Who? Like Newton, Galileo, or Einstein? Not a one of them would subscribe to the personal god that modern theists espouse. Thomas Jefferson rewrote the bible without the god bits. "Shallow thinking", but, you know, true. Most members of the academy of science are atheists.

Most doctors are religious.

Re: A Question for Atheists. Would you get treatment from a doctor who believes in

You can't seriously think that all atheists believe that all religious people are moronic, and/or mentally handicapped?

If you do, then I'm sorry, but if you don't this is an obvious bait thread.
Please.

Is it to be wondered at if the impression our resident Atheists leave, is one of sideline heckling and outright mockery? I've personally had to defend myself against accusations of weak mindedness, diminutive intellect and psychosis, on account of my Theism. Most notably by Atheists the likes of who such deficiencies are more fittingly attributed to.

Re: A Question for Atheists. Would you get treatment from a doctor who believes in

Most doctors are religious.

On what do you base that assertion? And where are you talking about?

A Chicago survey, it was a response to the American population of scientists cited as atheists.

Thank God, most doctors believe in God

Well, that's a survey of only US-based doctors, so it's more than a bit inaccurate to say that 'most doctors are religious'. It might be true, but there are many, many less religious nations than the USA.

Well, that's a survey of only US-based doctors, so it's more than a bit inaccurate to say that 'most doctors are religious'. It might be true, but there are many, many less religious nations than the USA.

Again, I was responding to scientists in the Academy of Sciences being atheist (90% I believe), which is American.
There are a lot more religious people in the world than atheists, so I wouldn't be surprised either way, they are still less likely than the gen pop of America to be religious. They certainly try to avoid having the conversation hypothesized in the OP altogether.

1.) I ask because I see the argument that believers in God are just not that smart, capable or well educated and may even be delusional or mentally ill. Do you trust a doctors that are believers?

Answers are "yes", "no", and "only if there isn't an atheist alternative"

Working on the poll.

Why would you not inquire into the doctor's beliefs? Do you really want someone mentally ill or rock stupid treating you? Doesn't believing in God indicate one or both of those things for you?

Just because a person holds a belief that I don't, or a belief that I even think is silly, it doesn't mean they are stupid, not capable, not well educated, delusional etc... I think a much better explanation is that they have compartmentalized their belief. And this isn't only about religion. Some people have beliefs that they don't hold to fair rational scrutiny like they would any other belief. Say for instance a person believing that a man lived inside a big fish because it's in the bible but if I hold my arms out wide and tell them I caught a fish that big they don't believe me. It's pretty easy for any body with no skin in the game to figure out which story is less plausible. But even then, someone that believes the man lived inside the big fish story could easily be a successful business person or whatever. If you believe the earth is 6000 years old I'd say you're ignorant of the age of the earth, but not ignorant of everything. If you don't believe in evolution you're probably ignorant of modern biology, but not ignorant of everything. And why on earth would I assume that only atheists make great doctors? I'm an atheist, but I'm not the best engineer I've ever met. I'm not even the best engineer in my office building, and we only have four civil engineers.

Back
Top Bottom