• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your fav sayings, includes ones that you claim as your own

I hate getting old... but it's better than the alternative.

"The suspense is terrible. I hope it lasts!"

Oscar Wilde

If you hit a bear in the nuts, be prepared to die.

Something I used to hear my grandma say when I was a kid.

Beggars can't be choosers.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

"Delusions are often functional. A mother’s opinions about her children’s beauty, intelligence, goodness, et cetera ad nauseam, keep her from drowning them at birth."

..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ~~ Lazarus Long
WW

When you are felling sickly:

“I feel like a bucket of shit without the bucket!”

"Delusions are often functional. A mother’s opinions about her children’s beauty, intelligence, goodness, et cetera ad nauseam, keep her from drowning them at birth."

..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ~~ Lazarus Long
WW
You like Heinlein. Loved his writings

I was in high school (9th grade) when I read the works of Langston Hughes. I asked myself how he could know my life. My favorite poem from Langston Hughes:

Mother to Son​

BY LANGSTON HUGHES
Well, son, I’ll tell you:
Life for me ain’t been no crystal stair.
It’s had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor—
Bare.
But all the time
I’se been a-climbin’ on,
And reachin’ landin’s,
And turnin’ corners,
And sometimes goin’ in the dark
Where there ain’t been no light.
So boy, don’t you turn back.
Don’t you set down on the steps
’Cause you finds it’s kinder hard.
Don’t you fall now—
For I’se still goin’, honey,
I’se still climbin’,
And life for me ain’t been no crystal stair.

Langston Hughes, "Mother to Son" from The Collected Works of Langston Hughes. Copyright © 2002 by Langston Hughes. Reprinted by permission of Harold Ober Associates, Inc.

This year, I enter my 40th year coaching high school sports. For the last two years, I have been a volunteer since I am retired. I have been the head coach in four different sports and have the pleasure of having outstanding players and parents join me in that journey. My coaching staffs have been comprised of former players of mine and that made the journey a lot of fun.

Here are some of my coaching sayings. I don't know where they came from but have known the majority of them these 40 years.

Repetition is no fun but it's the reason we have won.

Take one day off and you know it. Take two days off and your opponent knows it. Take three days off and everyone knows it.

Don't be sorry, be better.

Failure to hit the bull's eye is never the fault of the target. To improve your aim improve yourself.” – Gilbert Arland.

One other favorite saying:

Granny said: "Sonny, stick to your guns
If you believe in something, no matter what
'Cause it's better to be hated for who you are
Than be loved for who you're not. "

Help Somebody lyrics sung by Van Zant and written by Kip Raines and Jeffrey Steele

“A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.” Simon and Garfunkel, I believe.

“A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.” Simon and Garfunkel, I believe.
Yup. Since we're into lyrics it's stuff like this won a boy from Duluth a Nobel Prize in literature:

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea
Circled by the circus sands
With all memory and fate
Driven deep beneath the waves
Let me forget about today until tomorrow

Your fav sayings, links if you have them, and includes ones that you claim as your own
Add your own.

Mine
3 things one notices when growing old (male perspective)

Winters get longer

Summers get shorter

Women get prettier

Jump in the waters warm
"Old age ain't for sissies." Bette Davis

True enough, time when things catch up with you
If things are catching up with you, time to get out and run faster!

I was born at night, but not last night.

He who laughs last, laughs longest.

Disapproved. Rewrite, resubmit for final disapproval.

You can't fix stupid. Ignorance can be corrected through education if the person wants to learn.

(neither are my originals. just like them).

Back
Top Bottom