• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your fav sayings, includes ones that you claim as your own

Disapproved. Rewrite, resubmit for final disapproval.

You can't fix stupid. Ignorance can be corrected through education if the person wants to learn.

(neither are my originals. just like them).
No idea where this came from, a good education is easy to carry

Some from my line of work in wildland fire.

- When in doubt, burn out. (Refering to lighting unburned fuel next to the fireline)

- Why fight them, when you can light them. (Relating to wildfire vs. prescribed fire)

- Never Stand when you can sit. Never sit when you can lay down. and eat whenever you can. you don't know when the next meal will be.

- I am not scared of work. I can lay right beside it and go to sleep.

I remember those stories I heard in my youth,
I took it for granted that they were the truth.
that all souls were equal in the home of the brave,
with nary a thought for the Indians & slaves,
& miners & strikers we laid in their graves,
than said a few words, their poor souls to save. J.P. Evans

My favorites are from my g-grandfather, Papa. "The sun don't shine on one dog's ass all the time," and his ultimate diss, "That makes my ass tired." I can just hear him say , "That former guy makes my ass tired."

Your fav sayings, links if you have them, and includes ones that you claim as your own
Add your own.

Mine
3 things one notices when growing old (male perspective)

Winters get longer

Summers get shorter

Women get prettier

Jump in the waters warm
While it's more of a metaphor mixup, I sometimes say, "Like a head with its chicken cut off," and suspect I may have been the first to use it, but I'm probably kidding myself.

It's like crying over spilt water off a duck's back under the bridge -- Gaius Multus Vitaminus Caesar

Last edited:
I like to add passing to water under the bridge.

Sometimes people look at me funny, so I know it was noticed, but for most it is just passing water under the bridge.

I like to add passing to water under the bridge.

Sometimes people look at me funny, so I know it was noticed, but for most it is just passing water under the bridge.

Or pissing in the water that flows under the bridge. There's that idiom, too. Usually after drinking too much beer at a professional sports match.

While it's more of a metaphor mixup, I sometimes say, "Like a head with its chicken cut off," and suspect I may have been the first to use it, but I'm probably kidding myself.
Yes, you are not the 1st
But still an old descriptive saying

2 favs, neither one is mine:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
It's measured by the the moments that take your breath away.

There are just some days where it' not worth chewing through the restraints...

From my bodybuilding days: Fat as a hog, strong as a dog

One I am using with increasing frequency: No good deed goes unpunished.

Concerning the state of todays media (translated from Spanish): The paper holds what is written on it.

And a personal approach: I cannot properly disagree with you until I properly understand what you mean.

In the spirit of the mishmash of sayings, I have two:

His stupid is like a box of chocolates

At the end of the day, it is what it is and you just have to get out in front of it and find the low hanging fruit while thinking outside the box to offer the best value proposition.

Last edited:
"One show me is better than a 1000 tell me's.

"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots. But there are no old bold pilots." Harry Copland (1896-1976)

My comic heroin Erma Bombeck coined this phrase in the 1976':

"The grass is always greener over the septic tank..."

R.I.P. Erma.

R.I.P. Erma.

No it's not. The grass over the septic tank is often dry and brown because it has less soil for the purpose of having it dug up opened and pumped. The grass over the septic field may be greener if it's leaking.

"You may have an opinion in the absence of fact, not in conflict with it."

This is my own.

“I learned something new today…”

When I was still working a day job, I never believed that I knew everything. I had tons of personal experience in various areas and I was generally thought of as a “go-to” person by others when an issue needed to be solved and other viewpoints were valuable. Chances were, that I had some unique insight and knowledge, especially when it came to dealer and customer behavior. I was also considered a great storyteller, illustrating the points I would make with actual problems and situations that I had lived. People would shake their heads at some of the things I had seen or experienced.

However, in the process of discussing situations with others, if they explained a process or outcome or fact that I wasn’t aware of, I usually mentioned out loud that “It’s a great day. I learned something new today.” And even in retirement, I like telling my wife, when she asks how my day went, what I may have learned today.

R.I.P. Erma.
If I recall correctly, that was also the title of her best-selling book. Back then, you almost couldn’t pick up a newspaper and not read an Erma Bombeck column. She had such a gifted insight into so many things, and a wonderful way to put those thoughts into words. She was like everybody’s neighbor.

this is a fine long thread!

Yes- We have no bananas today.

Back
Top Bottom