• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your fav sayings, includes ones that you claim as your own

Whit's fur ye 'll no go by ye!

Mony a mickle mak's a muckle! ...Old Scots sayings

If nothing's faster than the speed of light, how come darkness is always there waiting for it? (possibly Terry Pratchett)

Your fav sayings, links if you have them, and includes ones that you claim as your own
Add your own.

Mine
3 things one notices when growing old (male perspective)

Winters get longer

Summers get shorter

Women get prettier

Jump in the waters warm

One day at a time.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

**** 'em if they can't take a joke (mine)

If you want to be happy, make someone happy (mine)

It's never too late to call it a day. (mine)

It's never to late to start the day over

Never vote - it only encourages the bastards (someone)

If my dog can't come neither will I

Rock and roll will never die - said when all appears lost, like the boat is sinking lost.

Motto: Have gun, will travel

Just...

..... ..... ..... Bite me.

WW

I just remembered another one - My favorite line from "Man of LaMancha": "Whether the pitcher hits the stone, or the stone hits the pitcher, it's going to be bad for the pitcher."

A favorite saying of my mother's when she was fond of someone. He's, or she's a good egg.

Family saying when everyone is dithering around:
"Let's git going before the liquor blows up in the jug"

I haven't a clue what engendered that quote. It's from the family I married into.

Kinky Friedman quotes​

“Remember: Y'all is singular. All y'all is plural. All y'all's is plural possessive.”

"A happy childhood... is the worst possible preparation for life."

"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder."

Telephone: Ring, ring.

Kinky Friedman: Hello.........Listen, I'm right in the middle of somebody. Can I call you back later?

"Don't draw fire. It pisses off the people around you." Source - ???

"That woman is so bowlegged she couldn't hem a hog in a ditch." - My grandfather

"Can't never could do nothing." My grandfather

"Brother from another mother" - C.D.

"Shaking like a dog shitting peach pits." - One of my uncles

When a once popular idea or method is no longer popular my father says "Somebody wore all the shiny off of it."

"I feel more like I did when I got here than I do now." - One of my brothers.

When a once popular idea or method is no longer popular my father says "Somebody wore all the shiny off of it."

:ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the memory.

My grandmother: "I dive like a feather and swim like a rock."
My mom, when someone zoomed past on the highway, "Someone's in a hurry to meet their maker."
My Dad, "I don't know why, but people keep asking me where they can buy inexpensive records."

The secret of my influence is that it remains secret. Koch Bros. executive via Salvador Dali

"Don't draw fire. It pisses off the people around you." Source - ???

"That woman is so bowlegged she couldn't hem a hog in a ditch." - My grandfather

"Can't never could do nothing." My grandfather

"Brother from another mother" - C.D.

Sounds like what we call "good people," colorful language. ;)

“God grant the giftie gee us,
To see ourselves as others see us.”
— Robert Burns, I believe

“El respeto del derecho ajeno es la paz.”
Trans: “Peace comes from respecting the rights of other's,”

— Mexican President Benito Juarez

Wearing his Sunday best
Store-bought bread
Tailor-made. Smokes premade. Many rolled their own due to prices/income

I disagree. Pop music has always been terrible.
Beware, serious venting follows.

Yeah, Elvis, Beatles, Dylan, Smoky Robinson, Sinatra and Bennet, Ray Charles, Righteous Brothers, Simon and Garfunkel, Sam and Dave (whom the Blues Brothers represented) Janis Joplin, Ry Cooder, Linda Rons… stop me from wasting my time listening to those! Btw, if you have access to music through an Alexa or some such, treat yourself to “Rock and Roll Heaven” by the Righteous Brothers, and to “Lovesick Blues” by Little Richard. The former are the embodiment of “ Blue-eyed Soul,” paying tribute to deceased singers. The latter takes the twangiest country tune from Hank Williams and makes it R&B.

Spirituals came to the US from African slaves, then it evolved into Rock and Roll, then it crossed the Atlantic and came back to us with the Beatles and Stones. I was in a bar in Bavaria some years ago. A German rock band started to play. The drummer began with the cowbell clink-clink opening to “Honky Tonk Woman.” One of my best misical experiences ever. What a country we have!

I love Bach, a great influence on jazz musicians, which then morphed into rock, Cf “Lover’s Concerto,” by the Toys, from a Bach minuet. Elvis turned two Italian songs “Sorrento” ( Surrender) and “O Sole Mio” (It’s Now or Never) into hits, and Darin did “Mack the Knife” and “Beyond the Sea,” German and French tunes respectively. If you want older folks to dance at a party, tell the DJ to play “Brown Eyed Girl.” If you want them have to shed tears, search for “Abraham, Martin and John.”

Greeks did democracy before we did. The great US gift to the world has been music.

Back
Top Bottom