• We will be taking the forum down for maintenance at [3:30 PM CDT] - in 25 minutes. We should be down less than 1 hour.
  • This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

You may not like Trump personally, but look what he has done for the economy

What about something other than the stock market?
I've already mentioned unemployment, Median Household income, wage increases - particularly at the low end, massive manufacturing job gains. How much do you want.

I mention the stock market because it tend to be a leading indicator for economic growth; investors buy stock because the feel the company will prosper and the stocks will appreciate. Also, because most public and private retirement plans have a large stock holding.

How can this be in such a wealthy country?
Because while the U.S. has high wealth, it is upwardly distributed. There are billionaires with fabulous wealth but many Americans don't have enough money saved for a $400 emergency.

I've already mentioned unemployment, Median Household income, wage increases - particularly at the low end, massive manufacturing job gains. How much do you want.

I mention the stock market because it tend to be a leading indicator for economic growth; investors buy stock because the feel the company will prosper and the stocks will appreciate. Also, because most public and private retirement plans have a large stock holding.
Low-end wage growth doesn't have Trump to credit. That was because many states raised their minimum wage. As for manufacturing jobs, that's been gaining for some time. And of course, Trump's dismal response to Covid made the economy worse. 5 Ways the Trump Administration’s Policy Failures Compounded the Coronavirus-Induced Economic Crisis

fredgraph.png

GDP growth 2016: 1.7%
GDP growth today: -3.8% (note the negative sign)

The unemployment rate 2016: 4.7%
The unemployment rate today: 8.4%

Budget Deficit 2016: $587 Billion
Budget Deficit today: $3,300 Billion

National Debt 2016: $19 Trillion
National Debt today: $26 Trillion

Annual Trade Deficit 2016: $502.3 Billion
Annual Trade Deficit today: $616.8 Billion

The economy was empirically better off when Joe Biden was in the White House.

in 2016 were we dealing with a PANDEMIC?

thread FAIL!

You can't give him credit for time.

I'm not really interested in arguing about unemployment because I think most people can look up unemployment numbers over the past decade and see a very clear trend that Trump inherited. I don't see a change in rate of increase in median household incomes either, but I will concede that Trump had a brief spike in the creation of manufacturing jobs. Obama had a couple of those spikes as well, but Trump's was larger. I understand why people use the stock market as a useful indicator of economic health, but it isn't a reliable way to analyze something as a prime indicator.

You're clearly incorrect, without the little stimulus the Reprobates allowed it would have been a great depression.

A stitch in time saves nine, so if there had been a little more stimulus, education spending, minimum wage and highways bill things would have taken off.

I guess I can't blame the Reprobates, because they would have been shut out, but when they pull the same tax cut as GWB to rev the engine and their Fuhrer carries on about how great and important is the way he destroys Obama I can't sit tight.

Reprobates? Fuhrer? Little early to tip your hand that you aren't at all interested in discussion, just sad, pathetic name calling.

You can't give him credit for time.
I don't understand your point.
MrPeanut said:
I'm not really interested in arguing about unemployment because I think most people can look up unemployment numbers over the past decade and see a very clear trend that Trump inherited.
LOL, "inherited"? A lot of Obama's "trend" was discouraged people bailing out of the labor poll.

MrPeanut said:
I don't see a change in rate of increase in median household incomes either,
Then you aren't looking. Try this as ONE example. Oh, and I forgot the drop in poverty rate.
MrPeanut said:
but I will concede that Trump had a brief spike in the creation of manufacturing jobs. Obama had a couple of those spikes as well, but Trump's was larger. I understand why people use the stock market as a useful indicator of economic health, but it isn't a reliable way to analyze something as a prime indicator.
Where are you looking? BLS has documented manufacturing gains thoroughly.

Last edited:
You don't "inherit" unemployment trends.

Yes, you do. You can look at the chart here. It's pretty clear there was a rising trend under Bush Jr. that Obama inherited ( after a market crash and recession). The Obama period clearly shows a downward trend that continues right into the Trump administration. Likewise, Trump will have a (very abrupt) rising trend for Biden to inherit (if he wins). Hopefully, Biden can turn it around as Obama did.

unemployment.jpg

Your first post and you had to go full ignorant?

Let me ask you one question, what is going on right now in 2020, that wasn't happening in 2016? Cmon now...answer slowly so you don't hurt yourself
Poor leadership from the president.

It devolved from there with Kudlow still refusing to reveal updated poverty numbers for Americans after the pandemic. So, there’s no real way of knowing the extent to which Americans have plunged into poverty in 2020. From the soaring numbers about unemployment, debt and other financial indicators, Americans aren’t in a great place. No wonder Kudlow wants to hide it before the election.

Look what he has done for the economy?
He gamed the pandemic for political advantage, lied through his teeth about it and in the process he destroyed the economy.
And he is forcing his toadies to lie about it, too.

During Obama's last three years, unemployment dropped 0.9% from 5.7% in 2014 to 4.7% in 2016.
During Trump's last three pre-covid years, unemployment dropped 0.6% from 4.1% in 2017 to 3.5% in 2019

During Obama's last three years, median houshold income increased by $4810, from $56,969 in 2014 to $61,779 in 2016.
During Trump's last three pre-covid years, median houshold income increased by $1042, from $62,626 in 2017 to $63,668 in 2019

Further, here is how President Trump (who campaigned on bringing back American jobs) stacked up before the pandemic.

Job Creation per Month 2016: 195,000
Job Creation per Month 2017: 176,000
Job Creation per Month 2018: 193,000
Job Creation per Month 2019: 178,000

The DJIA indicates the value of 30 companies. It doesn't indicate the wealth of the nation, just the wealth of the 30 companies Trump actually cares about.

More the the point, since you are so concerned with cherry-picking, how did you pick the metrics with which to measure economic prosperity? Did you just pick the metrics that you thought put the team with the red jerseys in the best light?

The metrics I presented, GDP growth, national debt, trade deficits, etc. are the drum that Trump beat when he was campaigning. He made specific promises regarding reducing the trade deficit, reducing the national debt, and increasing GDP growth to 5%. He failed to make good on those promises.

Calling facts that you don't like 'propaganda' does not make it so.

These are the facts. The budget deficit was higher every single year even before the pandemic. Our trade deficit was higher every single year even before the pandemic. Our national debt was higher every single year, even before the pandemic.

These are the facts. Trump promised to balance the budget. He failed, even before the pandemic. He promised to turn the trade deficit into a trade surplus. He failed, even before the pandemic. He promised to reduce the national debt. He failed, even before the pandemic.

To top it all off, after all these failures to follow through on his campaign promises, he gives himself an "A+" for the "tremendous job" he's done.

Attempting to dismiss facts by calling them propaganda is the mark of someone who is unable to dispute them.
I'm just hoping to keep my house. Guess I should watch more FOX

Yes, you do. You can look at the chart here. It's pretty clear there was a rising trend under Bush Jr. that Obama inherited ( after a market crash and recession). The Obama period clearly has a downward trend that continues right into the Trump administration. Likewise, Trump will have a (very abrupt) rising trend for Biden to inherit (if he wins).

View attachment 67296228
During Obama's last three years, unemployment dropped 0.9% from 5.7% in 2014 to 4.7% in 2016.
During Trump's last three pre-covid years, unemployment dropped 0.6% from 4.1% in 2017 to 3.5% in 2019
So, Trump took a "Full Employment" economy and created more jobs.
AConcernedCitizen said:
During Obama's last three years, median houshold income increased by $4810, from $56,969 in 2014 to $61,779 in 2016.
During Trump's last three pre-covid years, median houshold income increased by $1042, from $62,626 in 2017 to $63,668 in 2019

Further, here is how President Trump (who campaigned on bringing back American jobs) stacked up before the pandemic.
By the way I'll just mention that median household income number you mentioned has been exceed by Trump at over $67,000 including a 6.8% gain from 2018 to 2019.

AConcernedCitizen said:
Job Creation per Month 2016: 195,000
Job Creation per Month 2017: 176,000
Job Creation per Month 2018: 193,000
Job Creation per Month 2019: 178,000
let's look at those unemployment numbers:

revised unemploymnent rates.png

Obama had some pretty poor number for most of his term it took him almost his whole first term to get near who Trump has now.

And how about actual payroll employment:

payroll employment.png
Took Obama until late 2014 to employ as many people as Trump has DURING A PANDEMIC. N

ACConcernedCitizen said:
The DJIA indicates the value of 30 companies. It doesn't indicate the wealth of the nation, just the wealth of the 30 companies Trump actually cares about.
It also serves as a proxy for economic status and a leading indicator.
AConcernedCitizen said:
More the the point, since you are so concerned with cherry-picking, how did you pick the metrics with which to measure economic prosperity? Did you just pick the metrics that you thought put the team with the red jerseys in the best light?
LOL, like you? Obama's best year vs Trump's worst? No pick and choose there, huh?
AconcernedCitzen said:
The metrics I presented, GDP growth, national debt, trade deficits, etc. are the drum that Trump beat when he was campaigning. He made specific promises regarding reducing the trade deficit, reducing the national debt, and increasing GDP growth to 5%. He failed to make good on those promises.
The metrics are reasonable comparing Obama's best vs Trump's worst - particularly during a national emergency is intellectual dishonesty.

No idea what the argument is. Trump rode in on a good economy reaching its peak. The first body blow, he had no answer and of course we’re suffering from it.

Trump’s economy is garbage.

No idea what the argument is. Trump rode in on a good economy reaching its peak. The first body blow, he had no answer and of course we’re suffering from it.

Trump’s economy is garbage.

That's only because you don't understand the law of diminishing returns.......

Still cherry picking - Trump didn't inherit the economy of Obama's entire second term - he inherited the economy as it stood on January 20, 2017 - GDP growth of 1.6%for the previous year. The DJIA rose as much from election day to inauguration day - a little over two months as it had from January 1, 2016 to election day. Trump scored record low Unemployment rates, including for women, minorities and teens. Mean Household income rose several thousand dollars over what he inherited from Obama.

Even in this disastrous year Trump Unemployment rate is lower than Obama had at any time during his first term. Same for payroll unemployment.

From BLS:
View attachment 67296212

View attachment 67296213

Job creation slowed down during the Trump administration as compared to Obama’s rate. Of course the rate of unemployment will continue to go down as long as job creation is above the rate of people entering the workforce, that’s simple math. Fact is though under Trump the rate of job creation slowed down.

What do you think was the main reason for household income increasing? That’s pretty simple. Minimum wage increases. Who was responsible for that? Democrats in charge of state’s and cities that increased the minimum wage. It’s certainly not due to some magic that Trump performed in secret.

The problem with Trump was that he failed miserably when he was actually confronted with a problem that required presidential leadership. You can’t get much worse than being the 206th worst out of 215 countries as measured by deaths per million population.

Also as I said before Trump’s GDP increase is nothing special. His first term average is the same as the average rate that occurred over the same number of years back during Obama’s administration. That’s of course if you don’t count the 2020 debacle.

As far as the stock market goes, the increase was due to the Republican plan to cut the corporate tax rate by 40%. Unfortunately, as predicted that just transferred money from the government to corporations and ballooned the deficit. That corporate windfall going directly to earnings naturally caused the value of stocks to go up. When earnings jumped, stock prices jumped keeping the PE ratio the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Job creation slowed down during the Trump administration as compared to Obama’s rate. Of course the rate of unemployment will continue to go down as long as job creation is above the rate of people entering the workforce, that’s simple math. Fact is though under Trump the rate of job creation slowed down.

What do you think was the main reason for household income increasing? That’s pretty simple. Minimum wage increases. Who was responsible for that? Democrats in charge of state’s and cities that increased the minimum wage. It’s certainly not due to some magic that Trump performed in secret.

The problem with Trump was that he failed miserably when he was actually confronted with a problem that required presidential leadership. You can’t get much worse than being the 206th worst out of 215 countries as measured by deaths per million population.

Also as I said before Trump’s GDP increase is nothing special. His first term average is the same as the average rate that occurred over the same number of years back during Obama’s administration. That’s of course if you don’t count the 2020 debacle.

As far as the stock market goes, the increase was due to the Republican plan to cut the corporate tax rate by 40%. Unfortunately, as predicted that just transferred money from the government to corporations and ballooned the deficit. That corporate windfall going directly to earnings naturally caused the value of stocks to go up. When earnings jumped, stock prices jumped keeping the PE ratio the same.

Bet you can't articulate why job creation slowed......well, you probably can, but it will involve something idiotic like "Itz Cuz Trump sucks "

Bet you can't articulate why job creation slowed......well, you probably can, but it will involve something idiotic like "Itz Cuz Trump sucks "

Trump claims he’s the greatest jobs creator ever.
Trump claims that he created the greatest economic boom ever.
Trump claims he should get an A+ for his pandemic response.

NONE of it is true and anyone who believes what he says is idiotic.

The economy stayed on the same glide path it was on before he took office.

Measured by virus deaths per million population we are the 206th worst out of 215 countries. That’s an F in anyone’s grade book.

Trump claims he’s the greatest jobs creator ever.
Trump claims that he created the greatest economic boom ever.
Trump claims he should get an A+ for his pandemic response.

NONE of it is true and anyone who believes what he says is idiotic.

The economy stayed on the same glide path it was on before he took office.

Measured by virus deaths per million population we are the 206th worst out of 215 countries. That’s an F in anyone’s grade book.

Yea, didn't think you would or could articulate why job creation slowed down.....

LOL, like you? Obama's best year vs Trump's worst? No pick and choose there, huh?
The metrics are reasonable comparing Obama's best vs Trump's worst - particularly during a national emergency is intellectual dishonesty.

Except I didn't compare Obama's best vs Trump's worst. I compared where Trump started with where Trump ended.

2016 wasn't Obama's best year. GDP growth in 2015 was 3.1%. The figure I presented was 1.7% in 2016.
The budget deficit in 2015 was $439 billion. The figure I presented was $587 Billion in 2016.

If I wanted to pick numbers that put Obama in the best light, 2015 would have been a much better choice. I used the figures from 2016 because they accurately represent where the economy was when Trump started.

That’s the best you can do when presented with a list of facts?

You started your little spiel with two precedents that were built on a fallacy.
We knew that Trump would have to battle for a wall with the democrats and that he would have to bitterly win each mile that he could. So no one who voted fro him, was going to pretend towards illusions of him just "getting" the wall and having it built. Because that's not how our system works.

And the second fallacy was based on a simply joke that he told to his own audience, for the express purpose of kicks.

So no, you had no legitimate stance, point, or even a shade of some argument to make with your post.

You started your little spiel with two precedents that were built on a fallacy.
We knew that Trump would have to battle for a wall with the democrats and that he would have to bitterly win each mile that he could. So no one who voted fro him, was going to pretend towards illusions of him just "getting" the wall and having it built. Because that's not how our system works.

Firstly, I don't think George50 started any spiels that way.

Secondly, Democrats only worked to prevent Trump from using US taxpayer money to build the wall. If he had gotten Mexico to pay for the wall like he had promised, he could have build as much wall as he wanted.

Thirdly, even for Trump voters clever enough to figure out that Trump would have to battle for funds that he claimed not to need, he still tricked them into thinking that he could win that battle.

Here is a video of Trump promising to "start building a great wall along our Southern border" on day one, and also promising that "Mexico would pay for it 100%."

Here is a video of Trump saying that it would take 1 year to build.

You can hear the promises from his own mouth. He failed to keep those promises. That is not a fallacy, that is a fact.

And the second fallacy was based on a simply joke that he told to his own audience, for the express purpose of kicks.

Here is video of Trump promising to release his tax returns on multiple occasions to multiple news outlets and interviewers. There is no indication that his campaign promises were intended humorously, and there is no laughter from this supposed audience with whom he was allegedly joking.

Firstly, I don't think George50 started any spiels that way.

Secondly, Democrats only worked to prevent Trump from using US taxpayer money to build the wall. If he had gotten Mexico to pay for the wall like he had promised, he could have build as much wall as he wanted.

Thirdly, even for Trump voters clever enough to figure out that Trump would have to battle for funds that he claimed not to need, he still tricked them into thinking that he could win that battle.

Here is a video of Trump promising to "start building a great wall along our Southern border" on day one, and also promising that "Mexico would pay for it 100%."

Here is a video of Trump saying that it would take 1 year to build.

You can hear the promises from his own mouth. He failed to keep those promises. That is not a fallacy, that is a fact.

Here is video of Trump promising to release his tax returns on multiple occasions to multiple news outlets and interviewers. There is no indication that his campaign promises were intended humorously, and there is no laughter from this supposed audience with whom he was allegedly joking.
Still riding high on the same fallacies as before I see.
Alright, I'll bite. Show me where Trump put forwards any bill, or other form of legislature to have Mexico, as you claim "pay for the wall ".

I'm rather eager to see what you come up with.

Back
Top Bottom