• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

You may not like Trump personally, but look what he has done for the economy

AConcernedCitizen

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
GDP growth 2016: 1.7%
GDP growth today: -3.8% (note the negative sign)

The unemployment rate 2016: 4.7%
The unemployment rate today: 8.4%

Budget Deficit 2016: $587 Billion
Budget Deficit today: $3,300 Billion

National Debt 2016: $19 Trillion
National Debt today: $26 Trillion

Annual Trade Deficit 2016: $502.3 Billion
Annual Trade Deficit today: $616.8 Billion

The economy was empirically better off when Joe Biden was in the White House.

Your first post and you had to go full ignorant?

Let me ask you one question, what is going on right now in 2020, that wasn't happening in 2016? Cmon now...answer slowly so you don't hurt yourself

Let me ask you one question, what is going on right now in 2020, that wasn't happening in 2016? Cmon now...answer slowly so you don't hurt yourself

A number of things are happening now that weren't in 2016. For example, we have a President who promised to build a "big beautiful wall" along the southern border, said it would take about a year to build, and that Mexico would pay for it. The wall still isn't built over 3 years later, and Mexico didn't pay for the bits that were built. We didn't have that in 2016.

We also have a President who promised to release his tax returns, but never did so.

We also have a President who promised to reduce the national debt, but instead has consistently increased it every single year of his Presidency.

We also have a President who criticized the former administration's trade deficit, and made big promises about a trade surplus, but has instead had a higher trade deficit every single year of his Presidency.

Those are just a few of the differences.

Or perhaps you are referring to that little virus which the President says "hardly affects anyone," and we have "very much under control in this country.” I'm not about to give him a pass on such a disastrous economic impact for a little cough that "hardly affects anyone" and which he has "very much under control" and gives himself an "A+" for. You think we should take it easy on the poor little snowflake because he didn't know he would face some challenges when he made all those promises?

Also, he was failing on the economy long before COVID-19.

Trade Deficit 2016: $502.3 Billion
Trade Deficit 2017: $568.4 Billion
Trade Deficit 2018: $891.3 Billion
Trade Deficit 2019: $616.8 Billion

That isn't something you can excuse away because of a sickness. He campaigned on turning our trade deficit into a surplus. He told Bill O'Reilly that was how he would pay down the national debt. Instead, he underperformed the previous administration every single year that he was in office. That is a pattern of failure.

He simply didn't deliver the product that he promised. So don't renew his contract.

Ok, Ok, maybe economy isn't great thanks to his mismanagement of COVID and all the other stuff, but think of all the great things Trump got us

- threw out all those terrible Obama regulations that required companies to contribute to cleaning up our air and water and to fight global warming

- threw out all those terrible post-Global-Recession regulations to try to prevent it from happening again as well as fiduciary rule making it a requirement for financial advisors' interests to be aligned with their clients

- got all those great tax cuts for the 0.1% and for the corporations so they could buy up all those stocks to have a great stock market!

- only 200,000 dead after the 15 cases that would go to nothing if Deep State would just stop testing already!

- Russia is finally our ally! Well, Trump's ally - we might have a Trump tower in Moscow even! Would not that be a US crowning achievement?

Ok, Ok, maybe economy isn't great thanks to his mismanagement of COVID and all the other stuff, but think of all the great things Trump got us

- threw out all those terrible Obama regulations that required companies to contribute to cleaning up our air and water and to fight global warming

- threw out all those terrible post-Global-Recession regulations to try to prevent it from happening again as well as fiduciary rule making it a requirement for financial advisors' interests to be aligned with their clients

- got all those great tax cuts for the 0.1% and for the corporations so they could buy up all those stocks to have a great stock market!

Sure, he followed through on a couple of things he said he would do. But those were a means to and end. An end that never materialized.

Cutting regulations and creating tax cuts for wealthy corporations has not resulted in balancing the budget, creating a trade surplus, and paying down the national debt. We had a higher budget deficit every single year of his presidency than we did in 2016. We had a higher trade deficit every single year of his presidency than we did in 2016. We had a higher national debt every single year of his presidency than we did in 2016.

He may have cut some regulations and made some tax cuts like he said he would, but the result was not what he promised it would be. He followed through on his ill-concieved plan, and his ill-concieved plan failed.

Suppose you are hiring a new marketing manager.

At the interview, he says that he is going create a series of YouTube ads that will really piss off over half of your customers, and by doing so, he promises to double the amount of conversions because the rest of your customers love pissing off your other customers so much that they will buy 4 times as much product. He also makes the outlandish claim that he will get your competitor to pay for the ads. You are somewhat skeptical, but take a chance and hire him anyway.

Later, he shuts down your Amazon store and refuses to reopen it until the Board gives him money for the YouTube ads that he promised to get your competitor to pay for.

A couple months away from the end of his contract, your conversions are down, sales have dropped to half what they were, your company is in the red, and at his performance review, he gives himself an "A+" for the "tremendous job" that he has done.

Sure, he created a series of of YouTube ads that really pissed off over half your customers, just like he said he would. But the result was not at all what he said it would be, and he is completely oblivious to the negative impact that has resulted. Who in their right mind would renew that guy's contract?

- only 200,000 dead after the 15 cases that would go to nothing if Deep State would just stop testing already!

- Russia is finally our ally! Well, Trump's ally - we might have a Trump tower in Moscow even! Would not that be a US crowning achievement?
Just wait for the unveiling of Mount Trumpmore™®! Borught to you by the color Orange™ and Alternafacts™

Rushmore_Trump.jpg

And the people will cheer! (Yes all of us, you included, as soon it will be the law!). Plus your Social Security will be diverted to fund the project. You will be required to thank Trump® for allowing you to help bear the cost of this necessary tribute to his Orange™ excellence.

A number of things are happening now that weren't in 2016. For example, we have a President who promised to build a "big beautiful wall" along the southern border, said it would take about a year to build, and that Mexico would pay for it. The wall still isn't built over 3 years later, and Mexico didn't pay for the bits that were built. We didn't have that in 2016.

Right off the bat and it's easy to tell that you can't even make a legitimate argument to save your life.

How many other forums are you posting this propaganda on?

Troll.jpg

Right off the bat and it's easy to tell that you can't even make a legitimate argument to save your life.

Sure I can.

Premise A: A valid logical argument posits a conclusion that is necessarily true given the truth of its premises.
Premise B: Your post was an assertion, unfettered by premises or logical steps.

Logic: Because a logical argument requires premises from which to derive its conclusion, an assertion, unfettered by premises or logical steps, is not a logical argument.

⊢ Your post critiquing my ability to form an argument is, ironically, not a logical argument.

The fact that your first line, contained a direct lie. Is pretty much all that I needed to see that you were not serious.

Much less the fact that almost all of the entire post, fell under the pretense of propaganda.

So you would need to keep that formation of logic for yourself, all things considered.

We also have a President who promised to release his tax returns, but never did so.

We also have a President who promised to reduce the national debt, but instead has consistently increased it every single year of his Presidency.

We also have a President who criticized the former administration's trade deficit, and made big promises about a trade surplus, but has instead had a higher trade deficit every single year of his Presidency.

Those are just a few of the differences.

Or perhaps you are referring to that little virus which the President says "hardly affects anyone," and we have "very much under control in this country.” I'm not about to give him a pass on such a disastrous economic impact for a little cough that "hardly affects anyone" and which he has "very much under control" and gives himself an "A+" for. You think we should take it easy on the poor little snowflake because he didn't know he would face some challenges when he made all those promises?

Also, he was failing on the economy long before COVID-19.

Trade Deficit 2016: $502.3 Billion
Trade Deficit 2017: $568.4 Billion
Trade Deficit 2018: $891.3 Billion
Trade Deficit 2019: $616.8 Billion

That isn't something you can excuse away because of a sickness. He campaigned on turning our trade deficit into a surplus. He told Bill O'Reilly that was how he would pay down the national debt. Instead, he underperformed the previous administration every single year that he was in office. That is a pattern of failure.

He simply didn't deliver the product that he promised. So don't renew his contract.
Well done. I lack the energy to spend so much time arguing with Trumpers, who are impervious to actual facts. But you did a great job of it.

Just wait for the unveiling of Mount Trumpmore™®! Borught to you by the color Orange™ and Alternafacts™

Rushmore_Trump.jpg

And the people will cheer! (Yes all of us, you included, as soon it will be the law!). Plus your Social Security will be diverted to fund the project. You will be required to thank Trump® for allowing you to help bear the cost of this necessary tribute to his Orange™ excellence.

Do you believe that your post contributes anything of value to this discussion? Many of us have serious concerns about the effect of the current administration on our country. Purile taunts about the President's physical appearance and baseless, hyperbolic strawman arguments are an unecessary and damaging distraction.

I haven't posted these easily verifiable fact on any other forums yet unless YouTube comments count as a "forum".

Which of the figures I posted do you believe is in error? I'll find you a link.
LOL, sure. A wonderfully cherry picked comparison. I was born in the morning, but it wasn't this morning. :rolleyes:

Growth was not keeping up with deficit before the pandemic and a lending bubble was forming just like 2008.

LOL, sure. A wonderfully cherry picked comparison. I was born in the morning, but it wasn't this morning. :rolleyes:

In the immortal words of Inigo Montoya, "I don't think that word means what you think it means."

"Cherry-picking" is when the method of selecting data is to use whichever data presents your team in the best light, and presents your opponents in the worst light.

For example, if I were to say:
GDP growth when Joe Biden was in the White House: 3.1%
GDP growth now that the Orange Monster is in the white house: -3.8% (note the negative sign)

That would be cherry-picking. While technically true, there is no reason to use the GDP growth from 2015 instead of 2016 unless one is trying to artificially make one side look good.

This was not my method however. My method is to compare the figures when President Trump took office with the figures now that we are nearing the end of his Presidency. This isn't some obscure method designed to make one side look good, this is the only reasonable way to do before and after pictures. You show day one of the diet, and then you show how far you have come today. Selecting random pictures in the middle of a diet based on how flattering or unflattering they are would be cherry-picking. Comparing a picture of day one of a diet with a picture from today is not cherry-picking. That is the difference.

In the immortal words of Inigo Montoya, "I don't think that word means what you think it means."

"Cherry-picking" is when the method of selecting data is to use whichever data presents your team in the best light, and presents your opponents in the worst light.

For example, if I were to say:

That would be cherry-picking. While technically true, there is no reason to use the GDP growth from 2015 instead of 2016 unless one is trying to artificially make one side look good.

This was not my method however. My method is to compare the figures when President Trump took office with the figures now that we are nearing the end of his Presidency. This isn't some obscure method designed to make one side look good, this is the only reasonable way to do before and after pictures. You show day one of the diet, and then you show how far you have come today. Selecting random pictures in the middle of a diet based on how flattering or unflattering they are would be cherry-picking. Comparing a picture of day one of a diet with a picture from today is not cherry-picking. That is the difference.

Projected 3rd quarter GDP growth is set to be above 30% by multiple Fed branches and multiple independent economists. Your methodology is flawed because its comparing different circumstances.

Are you listing our options? Between the two, I prefer the former, rather than the latter.

By former do you men Joe Biden? If so care to debate?

I'll start .... What has Joe Biden accomplished in 47 years of politics? Now please compare that to what Donald Trump has accomplished in 47 months.

Projected 3rd quarter GDP growth is set to be above 30% by multiple Fed branches and multiple independent economists. Your methodology is flawed because its comparing different circumstances.

By that reasoning, no comparison can ever be made because no two circumstances are ever identical. Regardless of whether you like the method or not, saying that comparing GDP growth at the beginning of a presidency with GDP growth at the end of a presidency is cherry-picking is disingenuous.

Also, it is beside the point. Here is what Trump had to say about GDP growth in the debates, from his own mouth.

You tell me. Did he do the things he promised in his job interview? Have we seen the 5% or 6% GDP growth that he said we would? Have we even seen the 4% GDP growth that he said was too low? Has there even been a single year of his presidency that GDP growth was as high as it was in 2015 under Obama?

What about the national debt? Here are the campaign promises, from his own mouth.

Did he make good on those? Was it easy paying down the national debt? Is it halfway gone yet? Was there even a single year that the national debt didn't go up? Better yet, was there ever a president who increased the national debt as much in a single term as President Trump has?

This isn't cherry picked from some bit by John Oliver. These are fundamental campaign promises from the national debates and interviews with Bill O'Reilly.

President Trump fundamentally failed to meet the promises he made regarding the economy.

I'll start .... What has Joe Biden accomplished in 47 years of politics? Now please compare that to what Donald Trump has accomplished in 47 months.
No, I agree, Trump is serving many purposes and breaking convention, so I like the guy, but he made one mistake and that was his tax break so any forward progress is only because of a Trillion dollars a year on the credit card.

And it wasn't forward progress, revenue was not keeping up with deficit.

Besides, he did not build upon his predecessor and thus precipitated a boarder crisis.

Notwithstanding, the way we were treated with our first black President leaves me no choice, but to oppose him every way I can and that meant impeachment, otherwise, without the tax break there would have been no impeachment.

I mean that I prefer your first option of "Don't be foolish," rather than your second option of "VOTE Trump 2020."

'Former' and 'latter' are a mildly pretentious way of saying 'earlier' and 'later.'

As for Joe Biden, I would be happy to debate with you about Joe Biden in another thread dedicated to such. This thread is about President Trump's failure regarding the economy. Would you like to debate whether Trump has met his campaign promises to raise GDP growth to 5% or 6%? Or his promise to reduce the national debt? Or to create a trade surplus? Would you like to contend that any of those things happened?

Back
Top Bottom