• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

You may not like Trump personally, but look what he has done for the economy

Still riding high on the same fallacies as before I see.
Alright, I'll bite. Show me where Trump put forwards any bill, or other form of legislature to have Mexico, as you claim "pay for the wall ".

I'm rather eager to see what you come up with.

As I am sure you know, he never put forth any such bill or other form of legislature to have Mexico pay for the wall. He was lying about Mexico paying for the wall.

As for my "claim," that he promised Mexico would pay for the wall. You can watch him make this promise with your own eyes, and hear it with your own ears, from his own mouth. His exact words were:

"We will build a great wall along the southern border, and Mexico will pay for the wall, 100%"

A number of things are happening now that weren't in 2016. For example, we have a President who promised to build a "big beautiful wall" along the southern border, said it would take about a year to build, and that Mexico would pay for it. The wall still isn't built over 3 years later, and Mexico didn't pay for the bits that were built. We didn't have that in 2016.

We also have a President who promised to release his tax returns, but never did so.

We also have a President who promised to reduce the national debt, but instead has consistently increased it every single year of his Presidency.

We also have a President who criticized the former administration's trade deficit, and made big promises about a trade surplus, but has instead had a higher trade deficit every single year of his Presidency.

Those are just a few of the differences.

Or perhaps you are referring to that little virus which the President says "hardly affects anyone," and we have "very much under control in this country.” I'm not about to give him a pass on such a disastrous economic impact for a little cough that "hardly affects anyone" and which he has "very much under control" and gives himself an "A+" for. You think we should take it easy on the poor little snowflake because he didn't know he would face some challenges when he made all those promises?

Also, he was failing on the economy long before COVID-19.

Trade Deficit 2016: $502.3 Billion
Trade Deficit 2017: $568.4 Billion
Trade Deficit 2018: $891.3 Billion
Trade Deficit 2019: $616.8 Billion

That isn't something you can excuse away because of a sickness. He campaigned on turning our trade deficit into a surplus. He told Bill O'Reilly that was how he would pay down the national debt. Instead, he underperformed the previous administration every single year that he was in office. That is a pattern of failure.

He simply didn't deliver the product that he promised. So don't renew his contract.
He also promised to give us beautiful healthcare. Everybody would be covered, and it would better than Obamacare. Other than the cult of personality that is Trump, why should people re-elect him? Law and order? Supreme Court?

What he is doing to the Supreme Court is not going to be popular with the general public. Religious fundamentalists will love it, but that’s it. He offers nothing on kitchen table issues like healthcare.

I work with a 50 something Trump supporter. She is very stressed and upset with her health care and worried about her retirement. Why are you voting for Trump? Why do you support the GOP, they offer nothing in health care or ideas. They seem to just want to roll back progress. They cut taxes and spend.

As I am sure you know, he never put forth any such bill or other form of legislature to have Mexico pay for the wall. He was lying about Mexico paying for the wall.

As for my "claim," that he promised Mexico would pay for the wall. You can watch him make this promise with your own eyes, and hear it with your own ears, from his own mouth. His exact words were:

"We will build a great wall along the southern border, and Mexico will pay for the wall, 100%"
So once again. You're only basis for this claim, is by latching onto the premise of a joke that he told.

And you think that this is helps you how?

So once again. You're only basis for this claim, is by latching onto the premise of a joke that he told.

Wow. You are seriously saying that Trump was joking about building a border wall? So when the President shut down the government for the longest period in US history over funding for his "joke," was that supposed to be funny as well?

As fascinating as that hypothesis is, it is off-topic. This thread is about President Trump's economic failure. It is telling of how bad the President has done on the economy that you think pretending that he was joking about building a border wall is firmer ground than trying to defend his economic record.

These are the facts. The budget deficit was higher every single year even before the pandemic. Our trade deficit was higher every single year even before the pandemic. Our national debt was higher every single year, even before the pandemic.

These are the facts. Trump promised to balance the budget. He failed, even before the pandemic. He promised to turn the trade deficit into a trade surplus. He failed, even before the pandemic. He promised to reduce the national debt. He failed, even before the pandemic.

To top it all off, after all these failures to follow through on his campaign promises, he gives himself an "A+" for the "tremendous job" he's done.

Our economy is worse off by nearly every metric now than it was before Donald Trump took office.

You started your little spiel with two precedents that were built on a fallacy.
We knew that Trump would have to battle for a wall with the democrats and that he would have to bitterly win each mile that he could. So no one who voted fro him, was going to pretend towards illusions of him just "getting" the wall and having it built. Because that's not how our system works.

And the second fallacy was based on a simply joke that he told to his own audience, for the express purpose of kicks.

So no, you had no legitimate stance, point, or even a shade of some argument to make with your post.

The spiel as you call it was someone else’s. But as far as the wall goes:

Trump chants:

Who’s going to pay for the wall?

Waiting for your part of the chant! (Hint, it’s a one word answer.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow. You are seriously saying that Trump was joking about building a border wall? So when the President shut down the government for the longest period in US history over funding for his "joke," was that supposed to be funny as well?

As fascinating as that hypothesis is, it is off-topic. This thread is about President Trump's economic failure. It is telling of how bad the President has done on the economy that you think pretending that he was joking about building a border wall is firmer ground than trying to defend his economic record.

These are the facts. The budget deficit was higher every single year even before the pandemic. Our trade deficit was higher every single year even before the pandemic. Our national debt was higher every single year, even before the pandemic.

These are the facts. Trump promised to balance the budget. He failed, even before the pandemic. He promised to turn the trade deficit into a trade surplus. He failed, even before the pandemic. He promised to reduce the national debt. He failed, even before the pandemic.

To top it all off, after all these failures to follow through on his campaign promises, he gives himself an "A+" for the "tremendous job" he's done.

Our economy is worse off by nearly every metric now than it was before Donald Trump took office.
No, I did not say that Trump was joking about building a border wall. That's just your desperation talking.

The fact that you're sinking away from the discussion on something that you brought up. Only shows that you had no real viability to begin with.

The spiel as you call it was someone else’s. But as far as the wall goes:

Trump chants:

Who’s going to pay for the wall?

Waiting for your part of the chant! (Hint, it’s a one word answer.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Then you're just showing how oblivious you are to something as simple as a joke.

Which is something that's screwed your camp over, more times than I care to count.

No, I did not say that Trump was joking about building a border wall. That's just your desperation talking.

The fact that you're sinking away from the discussion on something that you brought up. Only shows that you had no real viability to begin with.

Anyone interested can head over to post #103, where you quoted me linking to Trump's promise to build a wall and make Mexico pay for it, and you replied that he was just joking about that.

Would you care to try defending Trump's economic failures?

Trump is still telling rallygoers that their pre-existing conditions cover is safe, while fighting in court to have it removed!

Anyone interested can head over to post #103, where you quoted me linking to Trump's promise to build a wall and make Mexico pay for it, and you replied that he was just joking about that.

Would you care to try defending Trump's economic failures?
These are the facts. Every president never completely achieves 100%, of what they promise.
The fact that your panties are so twisted up on that notion is something that is going to completely baffle most people for a long time.

He can give himself whatever grade he likes. Such realities never stopped Obama from claiming that he had zero scandals and look how reality treated him.

So I think you need to not desperately chase after such notions for so long. Because it doesn't help anyone take you any less seriously than they already do, continuing to cry about a simple joke. Is only having the affect of making you appear as a joke in retrospect.

You're welcome.

These are the facts. Every president never completely achieves 100%, of what they promise.
The fact that your panties are so twisted up on that notion is something that is going to completely baffle most people for a long time.

He can give himself whatever grade he likes. Such realities never stopped Obama from claiming that he had zero scandals and look how reality treated him.

So I think you need to not desperately chase after such notions for so long. Because it doesn't help anyone take you any less seriously than they already do, continuing to cry about a simple joke. Is only having the affect of making you appear as a joke in retrospect.

You're welcome.
A joke? Wow...no one in America thought it was a joke at the time

No one

Typical Trump hater nonsense.

You always have to pretend not to know things...like that itty-bitty thing called COVID-19.

(I seriously miss my :doh: smiley.)
Which of course our president who has complete authority did nothing but lie about the seriousness of covid. Typical trump supporter, deny the facts.

You're welcome.

I pointed out that our economy is literally worse off than when President Trump took office, and your response is that "Every president never completely achieves 100%, of what they promise"? Sure he wrecked our economy, but hey, nobody's perfect right?

Here's the thing. When I hire someone to do a job, I expect them to do what they say they are going to do. If I hire someone to fix my website so that it doesn't require flash anymore, I expect them to actually fix my website. If the entire website returns a 404 error by the time they are done, I don't just say, "Oh well, every contractor never delivers 100% of what they promise."

And if someone fails to do what they promised to do, I expect a response like this:

“Ultimately, the buck stops with me. You know, I’m the president. This is my team. If it’s not working, it’s my job to get it fixed.” - President Barack H. Obama

or this:

"To the extent that the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility." - President George W. Bush

not like this:

“I don't take responsibility at all,” - President Donald J. Trump

Exactly the proplem. A manchild that takes his role as POTUS as a joke doesn't deserve that high office. In fact the jokester has caused:

1. Millions unemployed with the worse to come in the U.S. economy

2. His joking and calling a serious infectious disease a Democrat "hoax" has cost many Americans their way of life, their homes, their lives, their jobs, their businesses

3. Trump's joking has and playing army games attacking peaceful protesters at Lafeyette square, supporting buffalo barr's attack on peaceful protester has fueled the unrest and the third world look to our country.

4. Trump's joking at his Covid briefing comedy shows has caused Americans to be confused on the proper personal protection against Covid.

5. Trump's joking when Governor's were trying to implement CDC guidelines and protect their citizens from Covid caused divisiness and disunity in what should be the United States of America

With the above, and knowing any nation needs to be unified if invaded by a Pandemic or foreign agression, trump the jokester, not equipped for leading our great nation

You always have to pretend not to know things...like that itty-bitty thing called COVID-19.

That is what a POTUS is paid for, elected for, to lead in a crisis. Trump has, and is, failing in his attempt to lead. Covid is one thing, but what will hurt most Americans, is trump's inhibility to lead, unite our nation out of a economic crisis that is getting worse by the day.

Do you think DJT is the first President to be dealt a crisis, stop making excuses for him. Do you believe a CEO or maybe a pro-sport coach is able to say: In a trump like whine "It's not my fault we are failing, blame Fauci, blame Governors, blame China, etc". No, blame doesn't save a leader that is failing. Trump is a proven failure and must be replaced, period.

DJT gave it his best shot, and he just is'nt equipped to lead in the big leagues, actually looking at his numerous bankruptcies, donald is not equipped to lead anything.

Much as I don't care for Biden's own empty promises. I'm more interested in getting us out of the middle east and restoring law & order to our own streets.

Very illogical to call promises by Biden "empty promises" how is that possible can you see into the future? 2024? Twilight Zone

Five pages so far, and as of yet no-one has been able to prove the OP wrong, it seems.

GDP growth 2016: 1.7%
GDP growth today: -3.8% (note the negative sign)

The unemployment rate 2016: 4.7%
The unemployment rate today: 8.4%

Budget Deficit 2016: $587 Billion
Budget Deficit today: $3,300 Billion

National Debt 2016: $19 Trillion
National Debt today: $26 Trillion

Annual Trade Deficit 2016: $502.3 Billion
Annual Trade Deficit today: $616.8 Billion

The economy was empirically better off when Joe Biden was in the White House.
Oh, you couldn't be more wrong. Those numbers just show how wonderful the Dear Dirtbag is.

Much as I don't care for Biden's own empty promises. I'm more interested in getting us out of the middle east and restoring law & order to our own streets.
This from a Dirtbag worshipper and certified sucker who's fallen for every lie his dear leader has made.

So, Trump's economy was so fragile that it couldn't take a sudden shock.

Interesting.

So, Trump's economy was so fragile that it couldn't take a sudden shock.

Interesting.
Don't be ridiculous. You shut down virtually all business and employment...any economy will be hit hard.

Don't be ridiculous. You shut down virtually all business and employment...any economy will be hit hard.

New Zealand had a much harsher shutdown than any US state, and they're doing quite nicely.

Because they were smart enough to not reopen on an artificial timeline, the way we did. Things are reopened here, but hardly anyone goes to them, because it's not safe.

So basically, Trump bungled the whole thing and tanked his fragile, over-heated economy.

Back
Top Bottom