• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Yale Law School Students Interrupt Event, Demand Right To Talk Over Speakers

Aren't we all in some cases? Or in the name of "free" speech" and not being hostile, NAMBLA can hold an event at an elementary school?

Just because we'd object that doesn't make us freaking Putin.
NAMBLA could only hold such an event if the school allowed it. Comparing a pedophile support group that advocates illegal activities with the Federalist Society is rather specious

Well, given that those locations are private businesses, I would support management if the decided to remove the people who were doing things against their policies, ie being quiet in a movie, not disturbing the other clients. Just like Twitter removing posts or people disturbing its business.

Outside of Twitter or on the street or outside the movie theatre, be obnoxious just don’t expect that negative consequences won’t occur ( ie losing your job, losing friends etc)
So...a scheduled event hosted by a private organization involving guest speakers and a specific format is different...how exactly?

Professor Ernest is the one who believes that Black people are unable to compete with whites, due to their alleged "intellectual inferiority". He doesn't condemn racially based advantages, he openly advocates for them.
He's been dead for years. His position at the event in question was to eliminate racial discrimination in elite universities' admissions process. Period.

NAMBLA could only hold such an event if the school allowed it. Comparing a pedophile support group that advocates illegal activities with the Federalist Society is rather specious

I'm just saying that we all have our limits on "free speech" regarding groups holding events and that doesn't make any of us Putin or Hitler.

Something like this, they have their right to hold the event but how exactly can we be sure another group isn't going to use their rights and protest, even if it's disrupting?

So...a scheduled event hosted by a private organization involving guest speakers and a specific format is different...how exactly?
If management wanted to remove them, I would support management on that case. It seems management did not want to, they wanted a free speech space and allowed the protesters to exercise their free speech

If management wanted to remove them, I would support management on that case. It seems management did not want to, they wanted a free speech space and allowed the protesters to exercise their free speech
No...they had them removed, and then removed from the grounds when they continued. Which you considered a curtailment (more accurately...how did you put it..."why do you hate free speech?")

He's been dead for years. His position at the event in question was to eliminate racial discrimination in elite universities' admissions process. Period.
But Professor Ernest had no interest in eliminating racial discrimination. In fact he openly advocated racial discrimination against black people, due to their "intellectual inferiority."

I'm just saying that we all have our limits on "free speech" regarding groups holding events and that doesn't make any of us Putin or Hitler.

Something like this, they have their right to hold the event but how exactly can we be sure another group isn't going to use their rights and protest, even if it's disrupting?
Do you get what was being discussed at the Federalist Society meeting at Yale? that there were representatives from two groups-two groups that often clash over many issues?

What a ****ing pathetic and transparent attempt to deflect away from the point you got skewered on. Your post admits you got ****ing destroyed by your avoidance.

So you think all groups have the right to speak but not protestors crashing an event? In any situation?

But Professor Ernest had no interest in eliminating racial discrimination. In fact he openly advocated racial discrimination against black people, due to their "intellectual inferiority."
NOt relevant here. not an issue at the meeting I was discussing. The issue may have been "resolved: affirmative action should be eliminated" or something like that-it may well have been "resolved: affirmative action benefits society" I don't recall exactly

No...they had them removed, and then removed from the grounds when they continued. Which you considered a curtailment (more accurately...how did you put it..."why do you hate free speech?")

Management had them removed from a private space, perfectly fine in my opinion. I feel the same for Twitter bans, and YouTube bans

So you think all groups have the right to speak but not protestors crashing an event? In any situation?
do you understand the difference between a scheduled discussion versus those trying to prevent others from discussing it?

Management had them removed from a private space, perfectly fine in my opinion. I feel the same for Twitter bans, and YouTube bans
Do you ever wonder then after this has come full circle...why you bothered to make your initial comment, since your position is, apparently, identical to mine?

Do you get what was being discussed at the Federalist Society meeting at Yale? that there were representatives from two groups-two groups that often clash over many issues?

Yes, I get that. I get also that another group didn't like it and protested, disrupted, and removed.

There is always going to be groups holding events and groups protesting and disrupting, no? Unless you just want to lock down every event, as long as there is no violence I don't see the big deal. If it was the other way around and it was a 'conservative' group protesting and disrupting it'd be the same thing.

NOt relevant here. not an issue at the meeting I was discussing. The issue may have been "resolved: affirmative action should be eliminated" or something like that-it may well have been "resolved: affirmative action benefits society" I don't recall exactly
You don't think it's relevant when one of the people debating affirmative action believes that Black people are racially inferior, and openly advocates racial discrimination?

We should probably just have a cancel culture section, because heres another example.

TLDR
Student group invites speakers to discuss a legal case
Other students disrupt it, claiming they have more freedom of speech than the speakers
After theyre ejected, they claim the speakers are intolerant and shouldnt be tolerated
After the police show up to stop their peaceful banging on the walls, harrasment, and blocking exits, they claim the police are harmful and should be ejected (by who?)

Which makes me wonder if they teach irony at Yale.
I find it interesting that everyone thinks their right to free speech overrides everyone else right to free speech. IN the end they physically blocked and manhandled people exiting the room and there free speech ended and assault began and the law students must have known that. I would have arrested those who touched the people exiting the room and charged them and that would have been the end of their law careers.

Yes, I get that. I get also that another group didn't like it and protested, disrupted, and removed.

There is always going to be groups holding events and groups protesting and disrupting, no? Unless you just want to lock down every event, as long as there is no violence I don't see the big deal. If it was the other way around and it was a 'conservative' group protesting and disrupting it'd be the same thing.
there should be no ability to disrupt the scheduled meetings of other students. and it is almost always leftwing activists who want to disrupt things

You don't think it's relevant when one of the people debating affirmative action believes that Black people are racially inferior, and openly advocates racial discrimination?
were you there? of course not-was there any mention of what Van Den Haag may have stated long after the debate? NO. I doubt any of the 15-20 picketers had any idea about the views you are discussing.

If you defend all groups the right to speak, all groups would include the protestors and this wouldn't even be a big deal to you.

Your right to speak doesn't include the right to prevent others from speaking, to trespass, or to disturb the peace.

Do you ever wonder then after this has come full circle...why you bothered to make your initial comment, since your position is, apparently, identical to mine?

My initial posts were a general response to people who feel that Twitter and Facebook were violating people free speech by banning them. As they are private businesses, they have a choice, as does Yale in this case to either allow the “free speech” or remove it/ or the people

were you there? of course not-was there any mention of what Van Den Haag may have stated long after the debate? NO. I doubt any of the 15-20 picketers had any idea about the views you are discussing.
In fact his belief in the inherent inferiority of black people was already a matter of public record by that time, published in "Intelligence or Prejudice?," in National Review XVI, No. 48 (December 1, 1964) pp. 1059–63.

I therefore find it very hard to believe that the picketers did not know about his openly racist views of black people.

there should be no ability to disrupt the scheduled meetings of other students. and it is almost always leftwing activists who want to disrupt things

Okay but how do you prevent that 100%? There's always hecklers and always disrupters.

If it was a scheduled meeting of students to ban legal firearms on campus, would you agree with a group of protestors who want to protest their right to have a gun? Just wondering if it's 100% nobody can ever protest another meeting. I would agree in that case with the protestors too for standing up for what they believe in, although again, they will face the consequences for disruption.

Back
Top Bottom