• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Yale Law School Students Interrupt Event, Demand Right To Talk Over Speakers

Your right to speak doesn't include the right to prevent others from speaking, to trespass, or to disturb the peace.

Exactly, that's why they were punished.

You do have the right to protest, no? BUT you also have to understand the consequence for standing up.

Professor Ernest is the one who believes that Black people are unable to compete with whites, due to their alleged "intellectual inferiority". He doesn't condemn racially based advantages, he openly advocates for them.
He never said that at the debate. He did note that affirmative action recipients at the Law school had much lower academic credentials. That was undisputed.
Those two things don't align and @Irredentist, that is about the third time it has been shown to you ...

Those two things don't align and @Irredentist, that is about the third time it has been shown to you ...
Of course they align. When a person debating affirmative action is on record stating that Black people are racially inferior, we can only assume that his motives are suspect, and that anything he says is clouded by his racial bias.

Of course they align. When a person debating affirmative action is on record stating that Black people are racially inferior, we can only assume that his motives are suspect, and that anything he says is clouded by his racial bias.
In the instance that he was referring to, they were. It was a factual statistic.
Did he then go on to extrapolate those findings to ALL Black people?

In the instance that he was referring to, they were. It was a factual statistic.
Did he then go on to extrapolate those findings to ALL Black people?
He had already made his racial beliefs well known to everyone by publishing them in the National Review.

Exactly, that's why they were punished.

You do have the right to protest, no? BUT you also have to understand the consequence for standing up.

Sorry, I thought you had a point. I should have known better.

Sorry, I thought you had a point. I should have known better.

Feel free to put me on ignore. I wasn't being hateful at all to you but I can see I should have known better than to engage with someone so bitter.

Same goes to you @VanceMack

Last edited:
My distaste for the ADF has nothing to do with their political leanings. They stand in opposition to basic human rights. I care nothing for what motivations anyone might have had for allowing them to speak. They deserve far worse than the welcome they got, and I applaud the student body for seeing to their hasty exit.
Then you don't know anything about Education and Educating. Congratulations!

Some of you guys except @TurtleDude and @jonny5 are being plain assholes this morning. Just because you don't like my position, you don't have to act like a jerk. Thanks, TD and Jonny for at least being civil in our disagreements.

They're a hate group as well. They're big on white supremacists.
I haven't seen much from them on that; it's not really what they're about. If you have specific things they've done supporting white supremacists, it'd be good to hear.

Feel free to put me on ignore. I wasn't being hateful at all to you but I can see I should have known better than to engage with someone so bitter.

Same goes to you @VanceMack

If a little joke at your expense upsets you so much that you abandon your point and conclude that the declarant is "bitter," perhaps you should find another hobby. I almost never put people on ignore. I'm pretty sure that the few I have ignored have all been banned by now. I don't think that will happen with you, as you seem like a decent person.

So, sorry again, for real this time. The point of my comment was to ask you to clarify your point, because you seem to be contradicting yourself. But no worries if you don't want to clarify. We all make mistakes.

My initial posts were a general response to people who feel that Twitter and Facebook were violating people free speech by banning them. As they are private businesses, they have a choice, as does Yale in this case to either allow the “free speech” or remove it/ or the people
there is an old saying that your rights end when and where mine begin. I was on campus when the Vietnam war riots were going on and Administration sent speakers out to try and convince students that the war was righteous. Although I agreed with the war protestors and even went to rallies, I did not agree with those who did as these students did and stopped the administration people from speaking. You can not get your rights by stopping others from their rights. And yes, private businesses do have the right to censure, as the 1st Amendment only applies to the government.

Okay but how do you prevent that 100%? There's always hecklers and always disrupters.

If it was a scheduled meeting of students to ban legal firearms on campus, would you agree with a group of protestors who want to protest their right to have a gun? Just wondering if it's 100% nobody can ever protest another meeting. I would agree in that case with the protestors too for standing up for what they believe in, although again, they will face the consequences for disruption.
Heckling is one thing, being physical at the door is assault.

Actually I am right.

You even said below, it would be okay for a group of citizens to burn down the government. Hopefully the rioters check the tyrannical government's appointment book and don't be so rude as to stop them during an event.

Correct, I said its ok for people to burn down a tyranical govt. I did not say its "it's okay for some groups to protest and stop an event". So actually, youre wrong. Because youre generalizing and talking about some other thing, instead this actual thing.

What's to debate? Either gay people deserve civil rights, or they don't. Seems like a pretty simple question to me, you don't need a debate to figure out the right answer to that one.

What if we had kept saying that back when gay people didnt deserve civil rights? "no they dont, no need to debate it" Shout down anyone who says otherwise.

There's nothing to be learned from anti-LGBT drivel like the so called "Alliance Defending Freedom." More like the Alliance opposing Freedom, considering that they want to roll back civil rights for gay people. Their words are poison and they should be rightly drowned out.
As someone said of protests concerning Ann Coulter, "let her speak, how else will they learn how vapid her ideas are."

Dont you see the obvious contradiction in your statement?

Going full Godwin here

Would you expect Jews to defend the freedoms of Nazis or neo Nazis who are using their speech to promote ethnic cleansing of Jews?

Or black people defending the KKK who want to return to segregation?

Okay but how do you prevent that 100%? There's always hecklers and always disrupters.

If it was a scheduled meeting of students to ban legal firearms on campus, would you agree with a group of protestors who want to protest their right to have a gun? Just wondering if it's 100% nobody can ever protest another meeting. I would agree in that case with the protestors too for standing up for what they believe in, although again, they will face the consequences for disruption.

They protest, they cant intefere. No one was going to stop them standing around outside peacefully. PEACEFUL protest is the key.

He had already made his racial beliefs well known to everyone by publishing them in the National Review.
Which were what? Can you link me to something that gets me on your side?
All I've read about so far was some factual findings that he commented on, which was against affirmative action, but none of that is new or earth shattering news, we knew that already.

Going full Godwin here

Would you expect Jews to defend the freedoms of Nazis or neo Nazis who are using their speech to promote ethnic cleansing of Jews?

Or black people defending the KKK who want to return to segregation?

Its ok, someone already went full Jonnys Law already and the thread was ruined.

But yes, I would expect jews to defend the freedom of nazis to speak, and I bet they have. Assuming we're talking about the US where have rule of law.

Wait, so you're defending a group you are not even familiar with or just playing "naïve"?

Do you think putting gay people in jail for being gay is hateful or not?
Seriously? You are going to cite a fanatical extremist leftist organization that is steeped in hatred for all things American as your source for claiming a group of conservative Ivy-league lawyers are a hate organization? Do you even understand the concept of reality?

It is a well established fact that anyone who disagrees with leftist filth, even in the slightest, are automatically branded "racist, homophobic, transphobic, xenophobic, white supremacist, misogynist, and deplorable." Which means leftist filth have absolutely no credibility and they are the true bigots of this nation, nobody else.

And when you rely on sources like Townhall for yours, you are getting your from the dirtiest skankiest assholes around.
Oh, look! Another opinion! See post #11.

They are free to speak.

Did you not read the OP?
Then they began to stomp, shout, clap, sing, and pound the walls, making it difficult to hear the panel. Chants of "protect trans kids" and "shame, shame" reverberated throughout the law school. The din was so loud that it disrupted nearby classes, exams, and faculty meetings, according to students and a professor who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

At times, things seemed in danger of getting physical. The protesters were blocking the only exit from the event, and two members of the Federalist Society said they were grabbed and jostled as they attempted to leave.
This is not allowing free speech - this is people acting like chimpanzees at one of our most distinguished educational institutions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom