• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will we ever accept weed as a social norm?

That's my point. You can drink a beer or a glass of wine and not be a jackass.

You can smoke weed and not be a jackass too. I agree you you can drink a beer without getting a buzz, whereas you smoke weed and you will get a buzz. You just need to be responsible. It is the same as if you went out and drank 3 or 4 beers. Be responsible. However, the point I want to make is that there is nothing wrong or immoral about getting buzzed.

You can smoke weed and not be a jackass too. I agree you you can drink a beer without getting a buzz, whereas you smoke weed and you will get a buzz. You just need to be responsible. It is the same as if you went out and drank 3 or 4 beers. Be responsible. However, the point I want to make is that there is nothing wrong or immoral about getting buzzed.

Getting drunk to get drunk is not socially acceptable, unless society itself is degraded.

Getting drunk to get drunk is not socially acceptable, unless society itself is degraded.

You're kidding, right? In the right context, it is completely acceptable. I don't know what you mean about society being degraded. From what pinnacle of good behavior are we aspiring too? You sound like a New England Prohibitionist, adhering to the strict precepts of the church. Don't push your morality on me, buddy.

Last edited:
You're kidding, right? In the right context, it is completely acceptable. I don't know what you mean about society being degraded. From what pinnacle of good behavior are we aspiring too? You sound like a New England Prohibitionist, adhering to the strict precepts of the church. Don't push your morality on me, buddy.

No I'm not kidding, and spare me the straw man and faux outrage of "your morality". Maybe if you're in college getting drunk is socially acceptable, but in the adult world it is seen as a sign of weakness, albeit one that most of us partake in, preferably less often than more often.

No response then?

To you?

OK...hows this...its IDIOTIC to claim that alcohol is superior to marijuana because some may claim that in moderation alcohol is beneficial. It can EASILY be proven that marijuana is a more cost efficient means of pain management than many/most drug regimens and that would prove beneficial...far more so than the antioxidant properties of alcohol...

but again...thats NOT what we are talking about. We are talking about the use of a substance in a recreational manner. Unless you want to maintain that alcohol s only being used for a 'beneficial' purpose.

And BTW...I no longer drink alcohol or smoke weed or inject/ingest illegal substances...nor would I start again if it were made legal. I simply dont care if others DO (responsibly) and think we make a HUGE mistake keeping marijuana illegal...for a LOT of reasons...

No I'm not kidding, and spare me the straw man and faux outrage of "your morality". Maybe if you're in college getting drunk is socially acceptable, but in the adult world it is seen as a sign of weakness, albeit one that most of us partake in, preferably less often than more often.

My morality is strict and doesn't need your judgments. The reality is that it IS socially acceptable to get buzzed, not drunk, in the adult world. Never been to a Super Bowl party have you? Duh! There are words for one such as you displaying such ignorance. Unfortunately those words are off limits here.

To you?

OK...hows this...its IDIOTIC to claim that alcohol is superior to marijuana because some may claim that in moderation alcohol is beneficial. It can EASILY be proven that marijuana is a more cost efficient means of pain management than many/most drug regimens and that would prove beneficial...far more so than the antioxidant properties of alcohol...

but again...thats NOT what we are talking about. We are talking about the use of a substance in a recreational manner. Unless you want to maintain that alcohol s only being used for a 'beneficial' purpose.

And BTW...I no longer drink alcohol or smoke weed or inject/ingest illegal substances...nor would I start again if it were made legal. I simply dont care if others DO (responsibly) and think we make a HUGE mistake keeping marijuana illegal...for a LOT of reasons...

I problem I have with keeping it illegal is that it makes otherwise law abiding citizens criminals when it is not in all reality going to cause any more serious problems for society than we have already. Right now it keeps cops tied up with trying to get small time drug dealers/users when they could be more involved with keeping other more serious matters on the front burner.

To you?

Im sorry, I failed to notice when the topic was changed to "Will weed ever be accepted as a pain killer?"

Im sorry, I failed to notice when the topic was changed to "Will we ever accept weed as a legal substance?"

I problem I have with keeping it illegal is that it makes otherwise law abiding citizens criminals when it is not in all reality going to cause any more serious problems for society than we have already. Right now it keeps cops tied up with trying to get small time drug dealers/users when they could be more involved with keeping other more serious matters on the front burner.

Not true.

Police Officers don't allow themselves to be so worried about small time possession that they divert their attention away from other investigations.

Not true.

Police Officers don't allow themselves to be so worried about small time possession that they divert their attention away from other investigations.

HA! Depends on the area and the officers, I'm sure. But, I know that in the small town I worked on the river in, the cops there were ALL about busting us river guides for minor drug possessions. If they saw river gear in your vehicle, they considered that a valid reason to do a cursory search of your vehicle.

Also, in one instance that I'm very aware of because it happened to me and my friends, *someone* anonymously called the cops and told them that my buds were smoking a joint somewhere. Gave the vehicle tags, etc. The cops pulled my bud's car over on the highway with dogs and a ****ing news crew. I **** you not. I watched them do it since we were in the car behind them. We were all heading to the river to go paddling.

I mean, an anonymous tip that someone was smoking a joint results in drug dogs and a ****ing news crew?? It was retarded. I'm sure it was pretty embarrassing to them too since all they got out of it was a paraphernalia charge. (They found a bowl with resin in it )

The ONLY thing we could figure was that the anonymous tipster said something more than 'someone is smoking a joint'. That they made some **** up about a large amount of drugs and sales, or some such nonsense. Because the cops response was just complete and total overkill.

Last edited:
HA! Depends on the area and the officers, I'm sure. But, I know that in the small town I worked on the river in, the cops there were ALL about busting us river guides for minor drug possessions. If they saw river gear in your vehicle, they considered that a valid reason to do a cursory search of your vehicle.

Also, in one instance that I'm very aware of because it happened to me and my friends, *someone* anonymously called the cops and told them that my buds were smoking a joint somewhere. Gave the vehicle tags, etc. The cops pulled my bud's car over on the highway with dogs and a ****ing news crew. I **** you not. I watched them do it since we were in the car behind them. We were all heading to the river to go paddling.

I mean, an anonymous tip that someone was smoking a joint results in drug dogs and a ****ing news crew?? It was retarded. I'm sure it was pretty embarrassing to them too since all they got out of it was a paraphernalia charge. (They found a bowl with resin in it )

The ONLY thing we could figure was that the anonymous tipster said something more than 'someone is smoking a joint'. That they made some **** up about a large amount of drugs and sales, or some such nonsense. Because the cops response was just complete and total overkill.

Cops, when they aren't busy, which can be a good bit of the time, are just looking for crap like stopping some young kids and giving them a criminal record for absolutely nothing. Also, once they've got you in their computer, you can expect to get stopped pretty regularly for a while after your first offense.

My daughter got a speeding ticket, so after that she was getting stopped almost every week for about a month. One time it was for going 1 mile over the speed limit. I kid you not.

LOL.

Listening to people go on about Police officers is so entertaining.

It reminds me of the BS stories I get from the public I deal with in my own town.

It's not the police's fault they have to enforce stupid draconian laws that shouldn't exist in the first place.

It's not the police's fault they have to enforce stupid draconian laws that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Thank you for this.

People seriously put too much blame on the police for something being a crime.

Bars are as normal as churches.

That's my point. You can drink a beer or a glass of wine and not be a jackass.

You can take just a puff or two of weed and not act like a total jackass either

You can have ten beers and not act like a total jackass, but you will be drunk.
And you can smoke two blunts in a row and not act like a total jackass, too. But you will be stoned.

pot is used to get high, unlike booze that is beneficial in moderation.
If alcohol use in moderation is beneficial, then so is pot use, for the same reasons. Insisting there's a difference is absurd.

You can have ten beers and not act like a total jackass, but you will be drunk.

And we can drink those ten beers watching the Celtics/Lakers at our favorite sports bar, have one designated driver, but yet we can't smoke our brand of weed doing the same thing because it's not socially acceptable. We can eat two buckets of chicken wings and half a pizza raising our blood pressure and risk of becoming obese or diabetic with no shame, but nooooooo, we can't enjoy some weed because it's just not acceptable as we wait in line at our local pharmacy for legalized heroin. Makes you wonder if the native Americans introduced us to weed versus tobacco, would we really have the same social issues with it today?

And you can smoke two blunts in a row and not act like a total jackass, too. But you will be stoned.

If alcohol use in moderation is beneficial, then so is pot use, for the same reasons. Insisting there's a difference is absurd.

Pot doesn't have the same beneficail effect as small amounts of alchohol unless you have a specific medical condition.

And we can drink those ten beers watching the Celtics/Lakers at our favorite sports bar, have one designated driver, but yet we can't smoke our brand of weed doing the same thing because it's not socially acceptable. We can eat two buckets of chicken wings and half a pizza raising our blood pressure and risk of becoming obese or diabetic with no shame, but nooooooo, we can't enjoy some weed because it's just not acceptable as we wait in line at our local pharmacy for legalized heroin. Makes you wonder if the native Americans introduced us to weed versus tobacco, would we really have the same social issues with it today?
Weed would be just as acceptable in those situations, however getting stoned outside of those venues is not. and again, when someone smokes dope they get high. When someone drinks they have to drink to excess to get high.

Alcohol screws people up a lot more than pot and anybody who begs to differ only diminishes their credibility.

Back
Top Bottom