• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why Do Nonwhite Georgia Voters Have To Wait In Line For Hours? Too Few Polling Places

Who does not have the right to vote in this election that is supposed to?

The right to vote is not the issue here. The issue are the hurdles put in place by Republican state legislatures and Governors.

Voter suppression by various means. Especially aimed at people of color.

If the Senate is flipped, we'll fix the Voting Rights Act so the conservative SC can't nullify basic rights.

Wait, Caucasians and Asians don't have to wait in line to vote in Georgia? Coulda fooled me.

The right to vote is not the issue here. The issue are the hurdles put in place by Republican state legislatures and Governors.

Voter suppression by various means. Especially aimed at people of color.

If the Senate is flipped, we'll fix the Voting Rights Act so the conservative SC can't nullify basic rights.

If the right to vote is not the issue, then there cannot be a voting rights issue. There are hurdles put up in front of all kinds of rights. It does not make it right, but it is what it is.

Wait, Caucasians and Asians don't have to wait in line to vote in Georgia? Coulda fooled me.
Do you not have a "white guys get to vote faster" card?

Almost all of the states that are purging voter rolls, closing voting locations, and aggressively reducing mail-in voting drop-boxes are the states with Republican legislatures.

One huge benefit of flipping the US Senate will be the ability of a Democrat controlled Congress to amend the Voting Rights Act so that none of the federal oversight provisions are unconstitutional.
Do you really think white voters never have to wait in line for long periods to vote?

Almost all of the states that are purging voter rolls, closing voting locations, and aggressively reducing mail-in voting drop-boxes are the states with Republican legislatures.

One huge benefit of flipping the US Senate will be the ability of a Democrat controlled Congress to amend the Voting Rights Act so that none of the federal oversight provisions are unconstitutional.
So white folk who vote at those places don't wait?

Do you not have a "white guys get to vote faster" card?

Just sayin' I had to wait in a long line too and it was mostly White people.

Is waiting in a line a civil rights issue now, too? I have had to wait in line for hours to vote before. It sucks, but I would hardly consider it a form of voter suppression.
I've never waited in a line-up to vote. If voters have to wait for hours to vote either the people in charge are incompetent and unable to do a simple job or the people in charge are competent and the process is proceeding as planned.
Which do you suppose this is?

Wasn't it Biden himself encouraging early voting?

This is what happens?

No. It didn't happen in majority white areas. This is red state voter suppression.

Of course it is voter suppression. 30 minutes to an hour in line....no. But missing out on work or ignoring family responsibilities, yes.

Some of the lines are 6 to 8 hours long. Also, with covid exposure possible, it can become a health issue.

That sounds like a State election problem.

Some State's actually have made Election Day a State holiday. Either once every 2 years or just for the Presidential Election year.

These State's currently do it every 2 years:

Delaware, Hawaii, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island.

These State's only do it every 4 years for Presidential Elections.

Illinois, Louisiana, Montana.

If there is a problem in the other States, where is either State action or Congressional Action on making it a National Holiday?

However, most States allow early voting. I already voted during lunch last Wednesday myself. No lines, plenty of booths . :coffee:

Last edited:
This constant exaggeration of black vs white rights or privelege or application of the law is just democrats way of maintaining control of the black vote. Do examples of all this exits, I'm sure they do. I'm sure they same things exist for all people depending on where they live. To act as if it doesn't exist for white's just reveals either stupidity or blatant political manuevering.

I've never waited in a line-up to vote. If voters have to wait for hours to vote either the people in charge are incompetent and unable to do a simple job or the people in charge are competent and the process is proceeding as planned.
Which do you suppose this is?

Sometimes there are just too many people that want to vote, and not enough people to work the polls. It happens. When I had to wait in line, it was in a Democrat run city, and I did not and do not blame them for having to wait in line, nor did I accuse them of voter suppression.

Easy to debunk bullshit is easy to debunk.

There are fewer early voting locations than are available on Election Day in Texas, but trying to assert that mail in voting is in any way dependent on the number of drop boxes is ridiculous.

There are fewer early voting locations than are available on Election Day in Texas, but trying to assert that mail in voting is in any way dependent on the number of drop boxes is ridiculous.

While at the same time the president of the united states installs a post master general who along with the president has instilled in the public a dreadful fear of failing to deliver the mail... drop boxes matter a helluva lot.

This has been going on in Georgia for quite some time now, and we have seen Republicans up the ante in deploying means to suppress voting. The concentration of left leaning voting in urban areas plus the shifting demographics have placed the path in opposition to whom Republicans appeal to.

They are not trying to really hide this now. From seeing a voter skip a single election only to have their names purged from voter roles with no notice, to strategy in deploying voting locations causing disproportion in Democratic leaning areas, to even forcing long lines in only certain areas there is a concerted effort by Republicans to make it difficult for their opposition to vote.

Kemp knows what he is doing, it is how he beat Abrams for the Governor's chair in the first place.

Is waiting in a line a civil rights issue now, too? I have had to wait in line for hours to vote before. It sucks, but I would hardly consider it a form of voter suppression.

Some waiting times in Georgia is 11 hours.

Now, is it hours all day long everywhere? No, then where?.. oh yea primarily in poor and non white areas and then we are talking voter suppression.

Who you callin " non-white " valid.jpg, Sucka !

Some waiting times in Georgia is 11 hours.

Now, is it hours all day long everywhere? No, then where?.. oh yea primarily in poor and non white areas and then we are talking voter suppression.

That 11 hours was one place, on the first day of early voting. There are three weeks of early voting. If the line is too long on one day, try another day. Places are usually really busy the first day, and going on the first day is a choice. Another factor you failed to mention is the sudden popularity of early voting. It may come as a surprise to you, but when the number of people that are voting early increases by a factor of ten, there is a good chance that the wait is going to be a little longer.

Purging voter rolls is a positive thing. It is intended to reduce fraud.

There is no excuse, however, for closing polling locations this close to an election.

I have had to miss work for all kinds of things, like going to a doctor's appointment. I even have to wait significant amounts of time to do so. Is that healthcare suppression? That is a right too, according to the left.
I am curious. Across the country, how many people in affluent areas are waiting in line for hours?
Sometimes people cannot afford the time off.

You have convinced me. Mail in ballots for everyone. Postage paid.

I am curious. Across the country, how many people in affluent areas are waiting in line for hours?
Sometimes people cannot afford the time off.

You have convinced me. Mail in ballots for everyone. Postage paid.

Why do you assume that these people have to go during work hours? If they are working every hour that a polling place is open every week, then they are not going to be unable to afford taking a day off to vote, even if they are working minimum wage.

Plus, I do not really care if places want to have mail-in ballots, but be careful what you wish for. Do not assume that all mail-in ballots are going to go your way.

How do you figure that, just because you declared it?

Because the right to vote requires voters have the ability to vote.

As a conservative, I assume you are a proponent of second amendment rights. Would making it more difficult to own firearms be a second amendment rights issue, if the government simply forces you to jump through a bunch of hoops before you are allowed to get access to a firearm? If it is possible to jump through these hoops and get the firearm, would you assume that there is therefore no issue with second amendment rights? Or does inordinate difficulty exercising this right constitute a second amendment rights issue?

Because the right to vote requires voters have the ability to vote.

As a conservative, I assume you are a proponent of second amendment rights. Would making it more difficult to own firearms be a second amendment rights issue, if the government simply forces you to jump through a bunch of hoops before you are allowed to get access to a firearm? If it is possible to jump through these hoops and get the firearm, would you assume that there is therefore no issue with second amendment rights? Or does inordinate difficulty exercising this right constitute a second amendment rights issue?

You mean like background checks and waiting periods? I would call those hoops, how about you? Yet, I still buy guns.

Back
Top Bottom