• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why Do Nonwhite Georgia Voters Have To Wait In Line For Hours? Too Few Polling Places

It is absolutely a form of voter suppression, what planet do you live on?

I live here on Earth, where everything I do not like is not some sort of oppression.

Of course it’s voter suppression if it is designed to make it harder for one party to vote than another. You also don’t seem to understand that some people have to work for a living and can’t stand in line for hours.

I did not know they had party affiliated polling places. Color me surprised.

I work for a living, so that was an idiotic statement. I would not expect you to recognize that.

Voting ease issues become voting rights issues when you intentionally make them bad enough.

Again I propose: make a law that says all white people must wait six hours to vote.

White people DO wait in line also. Why is that so hard to recognize?

Voting ease issues become voting rights issues when you intentionally make them bad enough.
Why do you think it is that Democrats are intentionally suppressing the minority vote in Georgia?

So what if it was one day... are you saying the next day there was at best an hours waiting time (which is still too long)? Stop making excuses for deliberate voter suppression. No one should spend more than 1 hour at peak time in line to get to vote.. If you stand longer, then your government has not provided enough voting booths and polling stations and then you have to ask.. why?

Most places have early voting that lasts almost a month. If you cannot find a time within a month to vote, then it is a you problem, not a suppression problem. Your arbitrary wait time rules do not change that.

You mean like background checks and waiting periods? I would call those hoops, how about you? Yet, I still buy guns.

So you are happy with the state of firearm regulation as it stands? What if we were to require longer and more extensive background checks and include more red flags in order to prevent the wrong people from getting access to guns? And what if we limited the number of places allowed to sell firearms to only one per county? And what if this was the only place where you could apply for a firearm license, and we required you to do it in person to prevent fraud? And what if we required that applications can only be submitted during normal business hours Monday through Friday, excluding a 12-1pm lunch period? Not a second amendment gun rights issue since law abiding citizens can still get access to firearms eventually, correct? No one has had their right to bear arms taken away, have they?

Obviously, inordinate difficulty in exercising voting rights is a voting rights issue, just as inordinate difficulty in accessing firearms is a second amendment issue.

Just debunking your lie that the local politicians control all of the electoral process. And debunking it with much ease. You're going to have to refine the process in which you forward your bullshit lies Vance.
No...you lied. Whether you are just a piece of shit liar or were just mistaken I cant say. But in responding to a discussion about lines at polling locations you posted a comment about drop boxes. Typical of your comments...and not unexpected.

There are some 26 polling locations in Fulton County Ga. Early voting began on 12 October. Thats a total of 23 DAYS to vote...in 26 locations. So your idiotic comment about 1 drop box pretty clearly has nothing to do with the topic. But again...why would we expect you to admit to facts when you can lie to try to stir up hatred?

Should there be a polling place within walking distance of every person, just in case they do not have a car or a license? We have to start being realistic. With a country of 330,000,000 people, some are going to have to travel more than a few blocks to vote.

There must be a polling place in every precinct. There is no reason to complain we have too many polling places when each precinct has only one.

So I see you didn't address my point

What is it you think is there to address? “Biden said early voting is good!” So what? What does that justify here?

I did not know they had party affiliated polling places. Color me surprised.

I work for a living, so that was an idiotic statement. I would not expect you to recognize that.

You don’t think it’s possible to geographically target the other party?

Man, what else are you expecting us to believe you’re ignorant of?

Hate to burst your bubble, but if there is a long line for blacks, there is a long line for whites.

Prove it with supporting documentation.

And I'm going to make sure to ask my Senators to fix the Voter Rights Act so this shit can't happen anymore.
You are nothing to them, just dirt under their feet.

Almost all of the states that are purging voter rolls, closing voting locations, and aggressively reducing mail-in voting drop-boxes are the states with Republican legislatures.

One huge benefit of flipping the US Senate will be the ability of a Democrat controlled Congress to amend the Voting Rights Act so that none of the federal oversight provisions are unconstitutional.
Maybe you should ask them why.
A; Too cheap to pay postage?
B: No ID as the argument goes, and have vote provisional in person.
C: After all these years of voting Democrat, no one but Trump gives a shit about them, and lack of polling places proves it.
D: Homeless move into them as soon as they hit the ground.

Early voting is like having an election month. I find it unreasonable to be expected to believe that someone cannot find the time to vote in a months time.
Early voting isn't universally available.

From the OP article:

"Nikema Williams, chair of Georgia's Democratic Party, said that while state officials took little or no action to stop widespread voting problems in nonwhite communities, local elections officials are also responsible, since they ultimately decide whether to close or open more voting sites." (emphasis mine)

And that is my point in this thread and in another one on "long lines."

I cannot tell from a quick review of either the Union City or Fulton County websites if it's the City or the County that determines where the polling locations are but I'm guessing it's the County because they actually have a BOE page on their website. Both localities are predominately democratic although the Board has two democrats, two republicans and a chair appointed by the locally elected Commissioners. Where should the blame really fall? And does party really matter?

Also from the OP article:

In early October, the secretary of state's office told four counties — Fulton, DeKalb and Gwinnett in the metro Atlanta area and Chatham County in southeast Georgia — that had long lines, absentee ballot problems and late opening or closing polls in the primary to avoid a repeat by providing weekly updates on poll worker training, polling places and line management plans.

Besides the board's actions, the Georgia Senate considered a proposal filed in February and endorsed by Raffensperger. It would have required county elections supervisors to add more equipment or poll workers, or split up any precincts with more than 2,000 voters, if there was a wait longer than an hour measured at three points on Election Day.

More than 1,500 of Georgia's 2,655 precincts have at least 2,000 voters — many of them in urban Democratic counties — and Raffensperger said at the time that voters should never have to wait more than 30 minutes.

But the bill, SB 463, was opposed by Democratic lawmakers and voting rights groups, who argued that any revamping in an election year would cause confusion and create more ways to keep people from casting their ballot.
So the state warns some localities and proposes a potential fix but it's opposed because changes would cause confusion. Can't have it both ways. To fix it....will require a change. You cannot just wave a wand and magically have more locations that voters will automatically know where to go.

No...you lied. Whether you are just a piece of shit liar or were just mistaken I cant say. But in responding to a discussion about lines at polling locations you posted a comment about drop boxes. Typical of your comments...and not unexpected.

There are some 26 polling locations in Fulton County Ga. Early voting began on 12 October. Thats a total of 23 DAYS to vote...in 26 locations. So your idiotic comment about 1 drop box pretty clearly has nothing to do with the topic. But again...why would we expect you to admit to facts when you can lie to try to stir up hatred?
I posted that story because it highlighted an electoral directive by the governor which, like I said, debunks the stupid notion you put forward that the elections are solely controlled locally so that you could blame the democrats in that area.

Early voting isn't universally available.

I am pretty sure this thread is about Georgia. I looked up the law in Georgia, and it states that early voting starts October 12 and runs through the end of the month. If you want to show me that this is only the case in certain districts in Georgia, then I will gladly concede.

I am pretty sure this thread is about Georgia. I looked up the law in Georgia, and it states that early voting starts October 12 and runs through the end of the month. If you want to show me that this is only the case in certain districts in Georgia, then I will gladly concede.
Ah.

No, I was thinking about the entire united states, not Georgia specifically.

You don’t think it’s possible to geographically target the other party?

Man, what else are you expecting us to believe you’re ignorant of?

If you want to show me evidence that only one party is being affected, then I will gladly concede.

Ah.

No, I was thinking about the entire united states, not Georgia specifically.

I jst checked and there are only a handful of states that do not do early voting. Surprisingly, the majority are blue states. For the record, I think everywhere should have it.

I posted that story because it highlighted an electoral directive by the governor which, like I said, debunks the stupid notion you put forward that the elections are solely controlled locally so that you could blame the democrats in that area.
:ROFLMAO:

No...you didnt. You posted a lie. You posted a comment that had **** all to do with the thread. Not uncommon.

Is waiting in a line a civil rights issue now, too? I have had to wait in line for hours to vote before. It sucks, but I would hardly consider it a form of voter suppression.

When they deliberately close polling stations in some areas to make the lines longer - so people either give up or miss out because the clock runs out - yes it is suppression. They're trying to allow fewer people to vote in those districts. We all know it.

No...you didnt. You posted a lie. You posted a comment that had **** all to do with the thread. Not uncommon.
Man you lie a lot. You should get your lying and your ill temper into control some how.

Man you lie a lot. You should get your lying and your ill temper into control some how.
Riiiiiiiiiight....THATS what this is about. NOT the fact that you knowingly posted a bullshit argument that had nothing to do with the thread.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Back
Top Bottom