• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Can't 3 People Get Married?

What do you think of Trio Marriages?

• Total voters
On the contrary, I was trying to show how the goat can in no way take on the same responsibilities as any person, male or female, when it comes to a contract, such as marriage.

There are plenty of other things that make the "relationships" different. In fact, bestiality isn't even about attraction and intimate relationships, but rather purely about sex, just as pedophilia is. This is vastly different than heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality in that sexualities are about more than just sex. They are about a desire to develop intimate relationships.

And how does this relate to anything being discussed in this thread?

How does it relate to marriage between more than two people?
Which would require at least one instance of same-sex marriage to be multiple?

As I asked earlier, if more than two people can legally start a business, why can't they legally get married?

Folks are confusing polygamy with communal marriage. Not the same thing. In polygamy, the women are married to the man, but not to eachother, so it would not be a same-sex-marriage scenario. The wives are sisters in-law to eachother. If the man dies, the marriage ends, and community property is inherited in accordance with the law.

[Politicallycorrect]
Folks are confusing polygamy with communal marriage. Not the same thing. In polygamy, Spouses B and C are married to Spouse A, but not to eachother, so it would not be a same-sex-marriage scenario. Spouses B&C are brothers/sisters in-law to eachother. If Spouse A dies, the marriage ends, and community property is inherited in accordance with the law.[/Politicallycorrect]

Last edited:
Folks are confusing polygamy with communal marriage. Not the same thing. In polygamy, the women are married to the man, but not to eachother, so it would not be a same-sex-marriage scenario. The wives are sisters in-law to eachother. If the man dies, the marriage ends, and community property is inherited in accordance with the law.

Based on the OP and the link provided, I was under the assumption this thread was not specific to polygamy.

Have I missed something?

3 no.

Only even numbers please.

40 pages on a red herring. Well done. Well done.

And how does this relate to anything being discussed in this thread?

How does it relate to marriage between more than two people?

As I asked earlier, if more than two people can legally start a business, why can't they legally get married?

I was replying specifically to a person before me, in case you missed that.

I have already stated my view on multiple partner marriage. There needs to be some changes made to the laws in order to accommodate the needs of all who would be involved in the marriage and to ensure that people do not use such a system to scam the government or other organizations out of money meant to encourage relationships that are healthy and beneficial to society. Not something that can't be done, but it certainly should be done before they are legally allowed to cause those issues to be a burden on society.

Someone who's already married can sign a legal contract, therefore they should be able to marry more than one person.

Depends on the type of contract. I cannot legally enter certain contracts if I am already in other contracts that prohibit my involvement in certain other contracts. There are job contracts that are like this. The military contract is certainly such a contract. It restricts a person from entering into many other kinds of contracts. Another one would be a contract between an agent and a client that prevents the client from signing certain other contracts.

Strangely, most traditional marriage vows don't actually include physical fidelity. Why is that?

Stress, quarrels and neglect: the 'normal' polygamous family | openDemocracy

Polygamy also negatively affects the relationship between children and their mothers, with the former resenting the mother for being unable to make sure the father does not neglect them or for becoming depressed and also neglecting their emotional needs. Regardless of gender, they lack of confidence in their own ability to have stable relationships because they have only experienced a family life filled with traumatic quarrels and resentment. The children of second wives usually cope better because from birth they know their father has another family. But the children from the first family can see the comparison: the lack of time, lack of resources, their father’s absence when they needed him. Some of the children insisted SIS help them set up a support group to help them cope with feelings of isolation; at school they cannot relate their problems to anyone as they feel embarrassed about the situation.

Polygamy also negatively affects the relationship between children and their mothers, with the former resenting the mother for being unable to make sure the father does not neglect them or for becoming depressed and also neglecting their emotional needs. Regardless of gender, they lack of confidence in their own ability to have stable relationships because they have only experienced a family life filled with traumatic quarrels and resentment. The children of second wives usually cope better because from birth they know their father has another family. But the children from the first family can see the comparison: the lack of time, lack of resources, their father’s absence when they needed him. Some of the children insisted SIS help them set up a support group to help them cope with feelings of isolation; at school they cannot relate their problems to anyone as they feel embarrassed about the situation.

Children cope better than most pros like to claim.

This is relating to religious, patriarchal polygamy. Not equality-based polyamory (of any gender make-up).

I have no doubt this style of polygamy has a pretty bad prognosis. The expectations put upon the man are physically impossible to perform, given the hours in the day. And the expectations of the woman naturally lead to resent and feelings of duress. Unhappy overstressed homes and dysfunctional parental relationships naturally lead to unhappy children. What's new?

However, that is not how all multi-partner relationships work. It's just one model. And one of the more oppressive ones.

ı am really aware of that fact,patriarchal polygamy.but whether it is equality-based or not,children arent provided with peace..

Depends on the type of contract.

Very true, no argument here. 2 men can start a business together, but these same 2 men can not marry. Yes, it depends on the type of contract.

40 pages on a red herring. Well done. Well done.
I have my DP preferences set to display the maximum number of posts per page. As a result, I only see 5 pages of Red Herring.

Malaysia's a ****-hole country to begin with. Let's talk about the US, shall we?

Malaysia's a ****-hole country to begin with. Let's talk about the US, shall we?

okay ,what kind of problems do they face? ,if the process of evolution didnt reject any habits of our ancestors ,many practices would nt be regarded as a marginal nonsense now

1. That disproves your earlier claim that polygamy is legal for 40% of the world's population. Those countries do not add up anywhere near 40%.
Not wanting to be picky, but I would estimate that it really does add up to around 40%. India, Indonesia, Nigeria, Pakistan and Bangladesh are five of the ten most populous countries in the world and just those five constitute 28.5% of the world's entire population.

I don't live there, so I don't care. I live in the US, do you have any data on polygamy in the US?
this is you who has to know about it,i dont live in US:)

ı am really aware of that fact,patriarchal polygamy.but whether it is equality-based or not,children arent provided with peace..

Not true. You obviously don't know anything about equality-based models of polyamory.

In oppressive patriarchal models of polygamy, the man is expected to be the exclusive provider of emotion and physical needs to all his wives. Women are expected to be, basically, single parents - that's not really the man's job. They're also expected to have a great number of children. Far more than anyone can possibly give attention to.

In equality-based models, none of these things is necessarily a problem. Partners provide for each other in a more equal give-and-take fashion. Families are more likely to be planned, and kept to a size within the financial and emotional resources of the parents.

Sure, an equality-based relationship can go south too. But it's not a system built to fail, the way patriarchal polygamy is.

this is you who has to know about it,i dont live in US:)

Oh, I misunderstood the context of this thread. Folks usually make these side-bar threads to challenge arguments used while debating gay marriage in the US.

I don't personally care about polygamy for the same reason I don't care about gay marriage: it'll end in a 50% divorce rate anyway because there's not pre-marital counseling required.

The polygamy argument is just a trap to catch pro same sex marriage folks being hypocritical. No one really cares, they're just looking for a post they can quote somewhere else of the forum as a 'gotcha' moment.

Not true. You obviously don't know anything about equality-based models of polyamory.

In oppressive patriarchal models of polygamy, the man is expected to be the exclusive provider of emotion and physical needs to all his wives. Women are expected to be, basically, single parents - that's not really the man's job. They're also expected to have a great number of children. Far more than anyone can possibly give attention to.

In equality-based models, none of these things is necessarily a problem. Partners provide for each other in a more equal give-and-take fashion. Families are more likely to be planned, and kept to a size within the financial and emotional resources of the parents.

Sure, an equality-based relationship can go south too. But it's not a system built to fail, the way patriarchal polygamy is.

i know their difference,you are not the only one who is educated,but i regard it as an aberrance and perversion...i dont believe in its good sides......

i know their difference,you are not the only one who is educated,but i regard it as an aberrance and perversion...i dont believe in its good sides......

So you believe your moral absolutism trumps the happiness of the couple itself?

Then why are you even bothering to argue it? It doesn't matter to you whether they're happy or not; you disapprove on principle.

Rather than posting disingenuous "evidence," why don't you simply say that?

I am down with poly marriage love:) As long as everyone is legal? I could care less what others are doing and it is not a threat to so called real marriage cause we all know half of them are crap.

Back
Top Bottom