• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Who would you vote for in 2008?

Who would you vote for in 2008?

• Total voters
Navy Pride said:
I get a huge kick out of how you lefties keep putting President Bush's intelligence down when he has kicked your butts in 2000, 2002, and the 2004 national elections......

I wonder who is really the dumb ones.......:roll:

????? So winning an election makes someone intelligent? I have never heard that one before. :rofl

aps said:
????? So winning an election makes someone intelligent? I have never heard that one before. :rofl

I am really not sure how you measure it but someone who is a graduate of Yale has to be somewhat intelligent and he did have a higher GPA then your candidate in 2004.......:roll:

Navy Pride said:
I am really not sure how you measure it but someone who is a graduate of Yale has to be somewhat intelligent and he did have a higher GPA then your candidate in 2004.......:roll:

Navy Pride, I certainly do not think he is dumb. To me, he is not as intelligent as I would like our president to be. It's that simple. If I call him dumb or call him stupid, I am really just using those words to insult him.

aps said:
Navy Pride, I certainly do not think he is dumb. To me, he is not as intelligent as I would like our president to be. It's that simple. If I call him dumb or call him stupid, I am really just using those words to insult him.

He might have "book smarts" but I'm sorry to inform you righties, that he seriously lacks common sense. He's the type of person that would throw a rock at the ground, and miss!:lol:

aps said:

OK, that is fair and I note by some of your comments that you are still not over the 2000 presidential election and that may be where a lot of your bitterness comes from......

For whatever its worth that election is over, you need to get over it, move on and concentrate on the upcoming 2008 presidential election........

Push Hillary or Cindy Sheehan and get them nominated to represent your party........Just joking about Cindy but did you know that she is at odds with Hillary?

Navy Pride said:
OK, that is fair and I note by some of your comments that you are still not over the 2000 presidential election and that may be where a lot of your bitterness comes from......

For whatever its worth that election is over, you need to get over it, move on and concentrate on the upcoming 2008 presidential election........

Push Hillary or Cindy Sheehan and get them nominated to represent your party........Just joking about Cindy but did you know that she is at odds with Hillary?

Oh please, Navy. I am not over the 2000 election? I make one comment about how I feel that the Supreme Court gave the election to Bush and you conclude I am not over it? Your deduction is unimpressive to say the least. I actually am so enjoying the suffering that the Bush Administration is going through now that I am thankful he is the prez.

Do my complaints about Bush now make you think I am not over the 2004 election?

Yes, I am aware that Sheehan is at odds with Hillary (I am too ;)).

aps said:
Oh please, Navy. I am not over the 2000 election? I make one comment about how I feel that the Supreme Court gave the election to Bush and you conclude I am not over it? Your deduction is unimpressive to say the least. I actually am so enjoying the suffering that the Bush Administration is going through now that I am thankful he is the prez.

Do my complaints about Bush now make you think I am not over the 2004 election?

Yes, I am aware that Sheehan is at odds with Hillary (I am too ;)).

Well you comment is what I was alluding to and rehashing that election is counter productive.........

Yes I often wonder what would of happened on a Gore or Kerry watch if 9/11/01 ocurred...Of course thank God:lol: we will never know but I kind of feel that we would of had many more attacks...........

Don't worry, Hillary although trying to fool moderates for the 2008 elections is not fooling anyone..........She is a big Liberal and always has been........A Leopard can't change its spots and Moderates and Conservative know that..............As we prayed for Kerry to be the nominee in 2004 we are praying for Hillary to be it in 2008...................

Hillary as your nominee and Dean as your leader...........We feel like we died and went to heaven.........:lol:

After sifting through a bunch of crap the only good thing to remember is...

McCain/Feingold - it's not just a bill: it's a ticket...

I liked that one...

Although I can't believe any of you are serious about who you'd vote for 3 years from now. I think it best to wait & see who actually runs & the stance they take on issues important to you.

Navy Pride said:
Kerry and McCain although friends like you and I are at opposite ends of the poltical spectrum........Kerry is a huge Liberal and McCain is a Moderate to Conservative.............And besides McCain would never want to be the VP...........

McCain would get my vote, and I have traditionally voted Democrat. Right now, though, I can't stand them. I know exactly where I stand, and they don't. But the Republicans are no better-look at the spending, the border problems-these are big problems that get overshadowed by Iraq and Valerie Plame and the hurricanes. I'm glad Michael Chertoff said no more catch and release-hope he means it.

Now, Navy Pride, I have to take issue with George Bush and Karl Rove on what they did to McCain during the 2000 primaries. He didn't deserve it. McCain can win in 2008, if he runs, because nobody else will do this to him:

There’s no doubt that McCain’s 19 percent victory over Bush in New Hampshire caused a panic rethink strategy in the Bush team. Their response was to drop the “compassionate conservative” that had failed Bush in New Hampshire and wage a nonstop barrage of negative attacks to kill the messenger McCain. Nothing was too low to rule out. The nadir moment occurred February 3rd when a smiling Bush stood in front of television cameras as a fringe Vietnam veteran, Thomas Burch, denounced McCain as a POW who “came home and forgot us.”

Governor Bush knows Burch well. The same Thomas Burch had accused President Bush of abandoning veterans during his administration, but alas, all old wounds must have been healed in time to neutralize McCain’s war hero factor. Push polling by Bush activists was standard fare and leaflets distributed by Bush allies described McCain as
“pro-abortion” and “the fag candidate” (because McCain was the only Republican presidential candidate to meet with the gay Republican men’s group, Log Cabin Republicans).

One particularly offensive missive distributed via the Internet and to the press was from the Christian Fundamentalist Bob Jones University, where Bush had staked his Christian conservative claim one day after the NH Primary. A professor named Richard Hand wrote that McCain “chose to sire children without marriage,” among other hallucinations.

http://www.commondreams.org/views/022100-106.htm

Last edited:
tryreading said:
McCain would get my vote, and I have traditionally voted Democrat. Right now, though, I can't stand them. I know exactly where I stand, and they don't. But the Republicans are no better-look at the spending, the border problems-these are big problems that get overshadowed by Iraq and Valerie Plame and the hurricanes. I'm glad Michael Chertoff said no more catch and release-hope he means it.

Now, Navy Pride, I have to take issue with George Bush and Karl Rove on what they did to McCain during the 2000 primaries. He didn't deserve it. McCain can win in 2008, if he runs, because nobody else will do this to him:

There’s no doubt that McCain’s 19 percent victory over Bush in New Hampshire caused a panic rethink strategy in the Bush team. Their response was to drop the “compassionate conservative” that had failed Bush in New Hampshire and wage a nonstop barrage of negative attacks to kill the messenger McCain. Nothing was too low to rule out. The nadir moment occurred February 3rd when a smiling Bush stood in front of television cameras as a fringe Vietnam veteran, Thomas Burch, denounced McCain as a POW who “came home and forgot us.”

Governor Bush knows Burch well. The same Thomas Burch had accused President Bush of abandoning veterans during his administration, but alas, all old wounds must have been healed in time to neutralize McCain’s war hero factor. Push polling by Bush activists was standard fare and leaflets distributed by Bush allies described McCain as
“pro-abortion” and “the fag candidate” (because McCain was the only Republican presidential candidate to meet with the gay Republican men’s group, Log Cabin Republicans).

One particularly offensive missive distributed via the Internet and to the press was from the Christian Fundamentalist Bob Jones University, where Bush had staked his Christian conservative claim one day after the NH Primary. A professor named Richard Hand wrote that McCain “chose to sire children without marriage,” among other hallucinations.

http://www.commondreams.org/views/022100-106.htm

Politics are a dirty business my friend but if all these things you say are true why did McCain so ardently support Bush in 2000 and 2004? I personally think a lot of the things that happened in the primarys in 1999 were blown out of proportion....

I will be the first to say that President Bush is no Conservative but your party offered in Kerry was the biggest Liberal in the Senate so it was a no brainer as to who I would vote for...........

Navy Pride said:
Kerry and McCain although friends like you and I are at opposite ends of the poltical spectrum........Kerry is a huge Liberal and McCain is a Moderate to Conservative.............And besides McCain would never want to be the VP...........

"In the biggest fight of his charmed life, John Kerry swung between bewilderment and anger when things didn't go his way on the campaign trial. "I can't believe I'm losing to this idiot," the Massachusetts Democrat sighed to a staffer when President Bush's poll numbers surged in April. "Why the **** didn't he take it?" he wondered when Republican Sen. John McCain refused to be his running mate a half-dozen times. "It's a pack of ****ing lies, what they're saying about me," he shouted at an adviser as a group of Swift boat veterans stepped up attacks on his Vietnam War record while his team refused to let him respond...Those are some of the behind-the-scenes stories from the year-long race for the White House revealed in a special Newsweek report out today. The magazine says Kerry's courtship of McCain to be his vice presidential candidate was far more intense than the public realized. It started in August 2003, but kicked into high gear after Kerry nailed the nomination. He even offered to expand the veep's role to control defense and foreign policy. "You're out of your mind," McCain told Kerry. "I don't even know if it's constitutional, and it certainly wouldn't sell." Kerry seemed stunned that McCain rebuffed him "after what the Bush people did to him," referring to the 2000 GOP presidential primary."

kal-el said:
WTF are you talking about? A bafoon is another word for a person who makes remarks with supreme idiocy, ala your buddy GWB. I'll be the first to admit that both Republicans and Democrats have corporate backers, but George Bush is a child's dream come true- that any kid with a former President as father and lots of corporate, fat-cat buddies can indeed, become President.

I think his point was that it's spelled "buffoon"

Mark A Shrider said:
After sifting through a bunch of crap the only good thing to remember is...

McCain/Feingold - it's not just a bill: it's a ticket...

I liked that one...

Although I can't believe any of you are serious about who you'd vote for 3 years from now. I think it best to wait & see who actually runs & the stance they take on issues important to you.

Thank you, I was quite proud of that myself....I kind of want them to run now so I can get credit for that slogan.

RightatNYU said:
Thank you, I was quite proud of that myself....I kind of want them to run now so I can get credit for that slogan.

LOL its funny when people get so rialled up in this, they TOTALLY miss the point! :rofl

Navy Pride said:
Well you comment is what I was alluding to and rehashing that election is counter productive.........

Yes I often wonder what would of happened on a Gore or Kerry watch if 9/11/01 ocurred...Of course thank God:lol: we will never know but I kind of feel that we would of had many more attacks...........

Don't worry, Hillary although trying to fool moderates for the 2008 elections is not fooling anyone..........She is a big Liberal and always has been........A Leopard can't change its spots and Moderates and Conservative know that..............As we prayed for Kerry to be the nominee in 2004 we are praying for Hillary to be it in 2008...................

Hillary as your nominee and Dean as your leader...........We feel like we died and went to heaven.........:lol:

Total speculation, Okie (your second paragraph). However, I will say this. Had 9-11 occurred on Gore's watch, even if he did NOTHING to respond to it, it appears it would not differ from what Bush is doing, since we all know that 9-11 had absolutely NOTHING to do with Iraq. So while there may not have been a taking down of the Taliban, we would not now have 2000 soldiers dead, billions of dollars in the hole, having no credibility in the world, etc. Bush has said he doesn't really care about where Osama bin Laden is. Interesting since we had more people die on 9-11 than we have had die in the war in Iraq.

As for Hillary, I don't know what her ridiculous tactics are. If she really thought she was fooling people with pretending to be a moderate, than she is a lot dumber than I ever thought possible. WTF?

RightatNYU said:
I think his point was that it's spelled "buffoon"

O, ok. Hey, everybody makes mistakes. You guys should know better than any, seeing as your "stooge" in the White House makes a habit of it.

Originally posted by aps
As for Hillary, I don't know what her ridiculous tactics are. If she really thought she was fooling people with pretending to be a moderate, than she is a lot dumber than I ever thought possible. WTF?

Yea, what the ****. She's insulting our intelligence here. She's just trying to get conservative backing, but if and when she gets in, her true colors will shine through.:2razz:

Last edited:
Navy Pride said:
Politics are a dirty business my friend but if all these things you say are true why did McCain so ardently support Bush in 2000 and 2004? I personally think a lot of the things that happened in the primarys in 1999 were blown out of proportion....

I will be the first to say that President Bush is no Conservative but your party offered in Kerry was the biggest Liberal in the Senate so it was a no brainer as to who I would vote for...........

Politics is dirty if made dirty. John McCain, after losing in the Republican primaries, supported George Bush because he is a Republican, and McCain, being very loyal to his party, would have backed the 2000 Presidential candidate whether it had been Bush or someone else. This shows McCain's strength of character. He is a good man, who will sacrifice for what he sees as the greater good for his party and for the country. I think you know that.

Bush and McCain appeared on Larry King's show together sometime later, after the 2000 election, I think. McCain, obviously still sensitive about Burch's remarks, confronted Bush on the show about what Burch said during the primaries. Bush said "He did it, I didn't do it," (paraphrased) referring to Burch.
The 2000 smear on McCain was typical Rove which is what got Bush elected twice, and President Bush should accept responsibility for it.

By the way, the Democrats are not my party. Not for some time. They don't know what they're doing or what they stand for. I have become an equal opportunity voter. I would vote for John McCain for president in 2008, maybe Rudy Guliani. Lindsay Graham seems to be a reasonable Senator. There are some good Democrats too, but, oddly, I can't think of any right now.

Back
Top Bottom