• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who remembers the watergate scandal? Who remembers the Iran/contra scandal?

Clinton always denied the allegations and lied to a grand jury. Gotta love it, hey, Paula Jones is lying so ima lie to the Grand Jury.
If you bringing a lawsuit you it needs to be based on something more than just 'he said, she said', you need some direct evidence of injury and witnesses that back your narrative of the events. If you have neither don't be surprised when it gets dismissed.

That's not a fact. That's a lie. Lying to a Grand Jury would be a criminal offense. But Bill Clinton was never charged with a committing a criminal offense or perjury in any court of law. The judge in his case handed down a civil penalty, not a criminal penalty.
Sorry Atomic Kid, but BC did;

Watergate was a small blunder blown up into a large scandal. The same thing happened on a much larger scale in 2015 and it passed almost unnoticed. In contrast, Iran/Contra was very serious, more serious than even the Whitewater coverup.

Of the four, Watergate is the most famous and the least worrisome. Its much more recent counterpart, the FBI spying on the Trump campaign in 2015, is the most troubling because it involves the use of law enforcement for illegal activities. yet, it is by far the least well-known or understood. Iran/Contra is next down because it also used official government apparatus, but it was in a foreign environment and not against US citizens. Whitewater, or more properly, the coverup is a masterclass in how to admit to felonies and get away with it.
Gop good, republicans good. Clinton bad. Score, Nixon administration fifty something in jail, clinton administration zero or one in jail.

Watergate was a big nothing right along with 1/6, another big nothing but clinton lying about a blow job, huge.

Gop good, republicans good.
The second worst scandal was Republican. Try reading the before posting.

That said, Republican scandals are played up in the media and Democratic scandals are downplayed.

Clinton bad.
Bill Clinton was competent, which is more than you can say for most other Democrats in the last 50 years.

Score, Nixon administration fifty something in jail, clinton administration zero or one in jail.
All for things that Hillary did but was never indicted for. The double standard is in play.

Watergate was a big nothing right along with 1/6, another big nothing but clinton lying about a blow job, huge.
Misquoting as usual.

Lying about a blowjob demonstrates that Clinton lies systematically and convincingly, but isn't much by itself. Lying to and obstructing federal investigators is a big deal.

Last edited:
Watergate was a small blunder blown up into a large scandal. The same thing happened on a much larger scale in 2015 and it passed almost unnoticed. In contrast, Iran/Contra was very serious, more serious than even the Whitewater coverup.

Of the four, Watergate is the most famous and the least worrisome. Its much more recent counterpart, the FBI spying on the Trump campaign in 2015, is the most troubling because it involves the use of law enforcement for illegal activities. yet, it is by far the least well-known or understood. Iran/Contra is next down because it also used official government apparatus, but it was in a foreign environment and not against US citizens. Whitewater, or more properly, the coverup is a masterclass in how to admit to felonies and get away with it.

The FBI spying? Amazing you can’t help yourself. Whitewater investigation lasted 4 years and zero charges against the Clintons and of course you remember the persons charged did not have much to with the actual Whitewater investigation.
But you know this, but like Barr you choose your terminology to make it look worse.

Last edited:

That said, Republican scandals are played up in the media and Democratic scandals are downplayed.

Bill Clinton was competent, which is more than you can say for most other Democrats in the last 50 years.

All for things that Hillary did but was never indicted for. The double standard is in play.

Misquoting as usual.

Lying about a blowjob demonstrates that Clinton lies systematically and convincingly, but isn't much by itself. Lying to and obstructing federal investigators is a big deal.

Worse than undermining our democratic process?

Americans saw the Whitewater investigation as the witch hunt it became.

Who remembers the Nixon/Chennault scandal?

I remember that clearly, several good books have come out about it. The truth is that Nixon intended to be sure that peace talks would not be started. We cannot be sure that the peace talks would have ended the war, but at that time he was not in office , he was a candidate and he intentionally thwarted the talks in order to prevent the Dems from getting the credit for attempting to end the war.

Worse than Watergate, in that he didn't want the war to end for electoral reasons.

Misquoting as usual.

Is it possible that after 4 years of a Trump "lock her up" controlled DOJ that Clinton wasn't indicted because there wasn't a crime?

I remember that clearly, several good books have come out about it. The truth is that Nixon intended to be sure that peace talks would not be started. We cannot be sure that the peace talks would have ended the war, but at that time he was not in office , he was a candidate and he intentionally thwarted the talks in order to prevent the Dems from getting the credit for attempting to end the war.

Worse than Watergate, in that he didn't want the war to end for electoral reasons.

He then extended the war for 4 more years and ended it under pretty much the same terms he told Americans to reject in 1968.

Misquoting as usual.

I can't believe your last line after trump lied to america tens of thousands of times and that was cool with a whole bunch of people. Obstructing federal investigations, I'm laughing my ass off at that one. How do you dismiss the things you do about your own party.

The FBI spying? Amazing you can’t help yourself. Whitewater investigation lasted 4 years and zero charges against the Clintons and of course you remember the persons charged did not have much to with the actual Whitewater investigation.
But you know this, but like Barr you choose your terminology to make it look worse.
You present evidence that the most significant scandal of the century is not even commonly known.

Excellent book on Whitewater, btw.
The double standard continues. The media accuses Republicans and excuses Democrats, in this case to the point of apologetics.

Is it possible that after 4 years of a Trump "lock her up" controlled DOJ that Clinton wasn't indicted because there wasn't a crime?
She admitted to crimes on national media. So, it's not possible there wasn't a crime.

Compare Gen Flynn who actually did not commit a crime, which we know from declassified FBI files. Knowing him to be innocent, DoJ still prosecuted.

Last edited:
How many convictions? Scandals are bullshit, time in prison is the real thing. She said, he said, that's a scandal. Guilty, do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars is what counts. Over the years the gop has a horrible record of criminal activity compared to the democrats.
You are pretty much inventing your own statistics. No politician in my 68 years comes anywhere close to the amount of criminal activity perpetrated by Hillary Clinton alone.

Are today's republicans really just as corrupt as republicans from years gone by? I've been watching a few documentaries about both of them recently and the one thing that stands out, the lying. Before trump came along Reagan was the fire breathing mad cowboy out to destroy communism, that was his public face. Nixon too was going to put communism in its place until he went off the deep end seeing enemies everywhere, which oddly enough seems to have turned into a gop tradition. Anyway to keep the string intact W lied us into a war with Iraq over WMD's that didn't exist and yet republican voters over the years just keep voting republican even after finding out their leadership lies to them on huge scales. Why? How do you make these things ok in your minds?
They've gotten much, much worse. They're tired of doing sleazy shit behind American's backs now so they don't even make the effort to hide their criminal clown show anymore.

I do. I lived through both. I remember the nuns wheeling TV carts into our grammar school classrooms to watch the Watergate hearings. I remember Ken Starr Chamber failing to link the Clintons to Whitewater gate, but far exceeding his mandate and not stopping until he nailed the president for lying to congress about a blow job.

I seem to recall Starr help press conferences in a hall with nude statues. He had the statues draped with cloth.
The Starr investigation was designed to do nothing but embarrass the president and to try to throw a wrench into Clinton's reelection chances. The Republicans did with with HRC as well with the Benghazi hearings. She had zero responsibility for the tragedy but right wing nuts still think she murdered those 4 Americans herself.

This is, to me why the Republican's bitching about the 1/6 investigation - which is investigating a real crime - is so ironic. Whether it's designed to embarrass the Republicans or not, it's their own tactic used against them.

Republicans can dish it out - but no one else can get away with their nonsense. They feel they're on some kind of crusade and the ends justify the means.

A couple corrections; he wasn't trying to prevent talks starting - he couldn't - but to prevent a peace deal that very, very likely would have cost him the election (most experts say if it were held a couple weeks later he would have lost anyway). We *do* know because LBJ had obtained the agreement of the North Vietnamese; it's only the refusal of South Vietnam *because of Nixon's illegal intervention* that prevented the deal.

Yup, and still too little known.

Watergate was blown way out of proportion and caught Nixon in the middle, so he did the right thing and resigned.

Iran-Contra was a whole different ballgame as President Reagan undoubtedly knew nothing about the details (plausible deniability). Blame Casey and to a much lesser extent - Oliver North, a true American hero, if you need a scapegoat.

And what about the conspiracy by the democrats re: Trump and Russian collusion hoax? Nothing tops that farce. Dems need to stop lying all of the time.
Dude. It was a break-in designed to influence an election. Several people went to jail for it. Nixon would have had Ford not pardoned him.

Your revisionism is very entertaining.

You are pretty much inventing your own statistics. No politician in my 68 years comes anywhere close to the amount of criminal activity perpetrated by Hillary Clinton alone.
So you have a copy to share of the list of hillary's crimes she has been convicted of and done prison time? How many of Nixon's associates alone went to prison? Inventing my own stats, I think you are projecting again.

Which is saying a lot, because Republicans don't need a crime to indict - ask the US Attorneys who were fired under Karl Rove because they refused to indict Democratic politicians in tight elections as ordered. Sometimes they didn't even need a crime to convict - ask Don Siegelman.

Are today's republicans really just as corrupt as republicans from years gone by? I've been watching a few documentaries about both of them recently and the one thing that stands out, the lying. Before trump came along Reagan was the fire breathing mad cowboy out to destroy communism, that was his public face. Nixon too was going to put communism in its place until he went off the deep end seeing enemies everywhere, which oddly enough seems to have turned into a gop tradition. Anyway to keep the string intact W lied us into a war with Iraq over WMD's that didn't exist and yet republican voters over the years just keep voting republican even after finding out their leadership lies to them on huge scales. Why? How do you make these things ok in your minds?
The numbers don't lie. And these numbers don't include what's going on under trump's reign of error.

corruptindictmentsperpresident.png

So you have a copy to share of the list of hillary's crimes she has been convicted of and done prison time? How many of Nixon's associates alone went to prison? Inventing my own stats, I think you are projecting again.
I don't give a shit about Nixon or his associates. They were scoundrels just like Hillary and her associates. I in no way defend Nixon, however compared to Hillary, Nixon was a saint.

A couple corrections; he wasn't trying to prevent talks starting - he couldn't - but to prevent a peace deal that very, very likely would have cost him the election (most experts say if it were held a couple weeks later he would have lost anyway). We *do* know because LBJ had obtained the agreement of the North Vietnamese; it's only the refusal of South Vietnam *because of Nixon's illegal intervention* that prevented the deal.

Yup, and still too little known.
I think Nixon in that case deserved the title of traitor. Going behind the back of a sitting president to talk with the enemy while we are at war. It's no wonder the gop has fallen so far they support a person like trump. The years haven't aged the gop well at all.

I don't give a shit about Nixon or his associates. They were scoundrels just like Hillary and her associates. I in no way defend Nixon, however compared to Hillary, Nixon was a saint.
Okie dokey. You also obviously don't care about facts or the truth. You make a perfect trump supporter.

Back
Top Bottom