• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who remembers the watergate scandal? Who remembers the Iran/contra scandal?

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Are today's republicans really just as corrupt as republicans from years gone by? I've been watching a few documentaries about both of them recently and the one thing that stands out, the lying. Before trump came along Reagan was the fire breathing mad cowboy out to destroy communism, that was his public face. Nixon too was going to put communism in its place until he went off the deep end seeing enemies everywhere, which oddly enough seems to have turned into a gop tradition. Anyway to keep the string intact W lied us into a war with Iraq over WMD's that didn't exist and yet republican voters over the years just keep voting republican even after finding out their leadership lies to them on huge scales. Why? How do you make these things ok in your minds?

I do. I lived through both. I remember the nuns wheeling TV carts into our grammar school classrooms to watch the Watergate hearings. I remember Ken Starr Chamber failing to link the Clintons to Whitewater gate, but far exceeding his mandate and not stopping until he nailed the president for lying to congress about a blow job.

I seem to recall Starr help press conferences in a hall with nude statues. He had the statues draped with cloth.

Wasn't alive during Watergate, but i saw the 2-night History Channel special on it.

I do. I lived through both. I remember the nuns wheeling TV carts into our grammar school classrooms to watch the Watergate hearings. I remember Ken Starr Chamber failing to link the Clintons to Whitewater gate, but far exceeding his mandate and not stopping until he nailed the president for lying to congress about a blow job.

I seem to recall Starr help press conferences in a hall with nude statues. He had the statues draped with cloth.

AG John Ashcroft ordered "The Spirit of Justice" draped because her boob scared him.
I'll tell you what offended me, being subjected to Ashcroft singing "Let the Eagle Soar" :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I was only about 6 during Watergate and I do remember much of it. I was in college during the Iran-Contra scandal.

As a joke I remember my sisters buying this coloring book for my dad, who was a Republican.

Are today's republicans really just as corrupt as republicans from years gone by? I've been watching a few documentaries about both of them recently and the one thing that stands out, the lying. Before trump came along Reagan was the fire breathing mad cowboy out to destroy communism, that was his public face. Nixon too was going to put communism in its place until he went off the deep end seeing enemies everywhere, which oddly enough seems to have turned into a gop tradition. Anyway to keep the string intact W lied us into a war with Iraq over WMD's that didn't exist and yet republican voters over the years just keep voting republican even after finding out their leadership lies to them on huge scales. Why? How do you make these things ok in your minds?
Watergate was blown way out of proportion and caught Nixon in the middle, so he did the right thing and resigned.

Iran-Contra was a whole different ballgame as President Reagan undoubtedly knew nothing about the details (plausible deniability). Blame Casey and to a much lesser extent - Oliver North, a true American hero, if you need a scapegoat.

And what about the conspiracy by the democrats re: Trump and Russian collusion hoax? Nothing tops that farce. Dems need to stop lying all of the time.

Watergate was blown way out of proportion and caught Nixon in the middle, so he did the right thing and resigned.
Nixon was caught in the middle because he supported the thing! The Saturday Night Massacre was what really doomed him.

Blast from the past. Still gets a chuckle.

Wasn't alive during Watergate, but i saw the 2-night History Channel special on it.
It takes a lot more than a 2-night special to go through the whole thing. I am sure you got the idea though.

For the record, Watergate is the reason Roger Ailes started Fox News. He said and I'm paraphrasing, 'no other republican president should ever have to go through this again'.

Fox News = The law be damned. We'll throw out enough misinformation and lies to muddy everything up. I guess they kept their promise.

Junior in high school for Watergate. I thought Nixon was a crook, told my mother so in '72, before she voted for him, and a literal "I told you so" a year and a half later (or whatever it was.)

I didn't like Reagan (reasons), and Iran/Contra cemented that view. I was 20 something, and like high school, my time was consumed with things other than politics.

We were on a vacation in Chesapeake area of Maryland summer of 1987. It got so hot the chickens all died. We were pretty much confined to the hotel AC for several days, which coincided with the Iran/Contra hearings. We watched them all day long.
I remember being shocked on our way back home to see people wearing shirts celebrating Oliver North. My introduction to right wing politics.

Iran-Contra was a whole different ballgame as President Reagan undoubtedly knew nothing about the details (plausible deniability). Blame Casey and to a much lesser extent - Oliver North, a true American hero, if you need a scapegoat.

And what about the conspiracy by the democrats re: Trump and Russian collusion hoax? Nothing tops that farce. Dems need to stop lying all of the time.
Manafort...LIED to Mueller...pardoned by Trump. Sorry...keep dreaming of a no collusion 2016. It hardly matters now that we have a 2020 Coup attempt.

I'm so glad you provided specifics as to what i got "wrong". :rolleyes:
Nixon was involved in the crime. He knew every detail of what was going down. The cover-up was worse but doesn't let him off the hook for the crime itself.

Kinda like Trump watching with glee while the capitol was being attacked and didn't do anything about it for hours.

Nixon could have stamped out the whole Watergate conspiracy if he wanted to. And his real stupidity was the fact that he was going to easily win his second term.
He got paranoid for who knows what and took the wrong route.

His pardon is one of the main reasons we are where we are now with Trump. Evidently, it's not politically correct to indict an ex-president. Well, that may change this time around.

I remember both Watergate and Iran/Contra.

Watergate's added complication was that they had to get rid of Agnew before they could get rid of Nixon. Agnew was still taking cash payoffs from crooks as VP. So he had to go least we ended up with a President wearing prison garb. So they forced his dumbass to resign and that cleared the way to push Nixon to resign.

The Watergate "Plumbers" were essentially ordered by Nixon and the the cover-up was a humdinger.

Racist Cowboy Ronnie Rayguns covered his ass claiming plausible deniability for Iran/Conta. However he should have known. Ended up made to look foolish by the Ollie North crowd.

IMO, Newt Gingrich started us down the road we have been on. He essentially spat on the democratic republic as designed by the Founders and the GOP has been spitting on it ever since. All so they can go back to treating women like property and anybody that did not come over on the Mayflower or similarly Euro-Protestant based like crap.

Ashcroft.

I remember both Watergate and Iran/Contra.

Watergate's added complication was that they had to get rid of Agnew before they could get rid of Nixon. Agnew was still taking cash payoffs from crooks as VP. So he had to go least we ended up with a President wearing prison garb. So they forced his dumbass to resign and that cleared the way to push Nixon to resign.

The Watergate "Plumbers" were essentially ordered by Nixon and the the cover-up was a humdinger.

Racist Cowboy Ronnie Rayguns covered his ass claiming plausible deniability for Iran/Conta. However he should have known. Ended up made to look foolish by the Ollie North crowd.

IMO, Newt Gingrich started us down the road we have been on. He essentially spat on the democratic republic as designed by the Founders and the GOP has been spitting on it ever since. All so they can go back to treating women like property and anybody that did not come over on the Mayflower or similarly Euro-Protestant based like crap.

This is a terrific book about going after Agnew, and the complexity of it in light of Watergate. and the attorney general was a REPUBLICAN. I couldn't stop thinking about how desperately the GOP needs people like Elliott Richardson today, What a hero!

Sigh. For the umpteenth time, it was not a hoax to have Trump investigated. He was close to Russia, asked them to get involved, didn't care that they did, professed to believe Putin and not our intelligence agencies, obstructed the investigation conducted by a republican who was appointed by a republican.

Sigh. For the umpteenth time, it was not a hoax to have Trump investigated. He was close to Russia, asked them to get involved, didn't care that they did, professed to believe Putin and not our intelligence agencies, obstructed the investigation conducted by a republican who was appointed by a republican.

He promoted the information that they stole.

I was driving a cab in NYC at night during the hearings. Read all the papers before coming home. Woke up to watch the hearings on TV, entertained by all the crazy characters involved. My favorite two things: there had been bumber stickers around for a few years saying stuff like "Free the Chicago Seven" or "Free the Wilmington Ten." Naturally after a while, someone created one that said, "Free the Watergate 500." Second, there is a famous statue in the Vatican of the Trojan Laacoon and his sons being devoured by snakes. He's the guy who said, "I fear Greeks bearing gifts" when he saw the Trojan horse. Poseidon, a Greek fan among the gods, sent the serpents. Some talented individual did a poster of Nixon as Laacoon attacked by the audio tapes that were his downfall.

FYI, there is a series on Watergate called "Gaslit," with an all but unrecognizable Sean Penn and Julia Roberts on Starz.

Watergate and the Iran/contra scandals are lies by the left? Russia if you're listening...are you implying the left made trump say that on tv?

Back
Top Bottom