• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who is the Greatest President in your life time and why?

Sorry but WRONG - health care is part of the domestic welfare. Do you ever get tired of being wrong all of the time?
No, sorry it isn't, healthcare is a personal responsibility issue and a state and local problem that you cannot seem to sell your state on, your problem. Why don't you move to a state that does have UHC. Why should the people of say TX fund your healthcare?

I would say Reagan, and not simply because he was a conservative, because many of his policies actually are not all that conservative. However, President Reagan was great leader due to his eternal optimism for America and American greatness. Reagan who was once an FDR democrat who eventually saw the failures in overreaching government regulations and failed social engineering attempts of 'new deal' economics, and 'the great society" under LBJ.

Reagan was also a great statesman, and was respected by the democrats in Washington who had different views, so they at least could still work together. Unlike today where each party seeks and then demands nearly 100% of getting their way. Reagan would always say that if he got 80% of what he sought a great victory, and then the remaining compromise was therefore accepted.

1980 Election

1980_large.png

1984 Election

1984_large.png
Reagan was also as lucky as Carter was unlucky. Reagan would have invaded Nicaragua and turned the hemisphere and much of the world against us. His invasion of Grenada was absurd. He supported gangsters in Central America and neo-Nazis in South America. He blockade Haiti, stopping Haitians fleeing violence and oppression and returned them to danger. In the face of mass murder in Guatemala and El Salvador, his State Dept recommended and Justice Dept granted asylum to 1% of Guatemalans and less than three % of Salvadorans, while approving many times (10-30x or more) the number of Nicaraguans and Poles, bias that didn't ease til Bush succeeded him. He slow-walked civil rights enforcement after signaling he would do so, traveling to Mississippi right after his inauguration to talk about "states rights" before a white audience. He mocked Cesar Chavez's work with farmworkers. His environmental record was pretty bad as well. But his sunny disposition and false credit for the collapse of the Soviet empire made him a hero. True, we as Americans tend not to care about Latin America, so why would we be upset at his pinning medals on murdurous military officials from Argentina?

Carter won the Cold War through his human rights policy. Reagan supported mass murder and terrorism in Central America, promised he would and then did go slow on civil rights enforcement, said things that Medicare would make us slaves, said absurd things like the most terrifying words in English were "I'm from the government and I am here to help you."
Reagan won 49 states in 1984 so you don't have a lot of credibility as usual on this or any other issue, wonder what it is about liberalism that creates your kind of loyalty. Were you ever taught personal responsibility growing up or was that always someone else's responsibility

No, sorry it isn't, healthcare is a personal responsibility issue and a state and local problem that you cannot seem to sell your state on, your problem. Why don't you move to a state that does have UHC. Why should the people of say TX fund your healthcare?
No, sorry it is. Health care is a universal right. Why don’t you move to a country that lacks it and whose people don’t seem to want it, unlike the US where the idea has massive popular support? Perhaps Russia would be more to your liking.

It’s Donald Trump, the first president since Calvin Coolidge to fight against the regime for normal people.
I assume that by normal, you mean white makes of European descent.

Ok, I'll leave aside Reagan trashing the whole idea of government and financing mass murder in Central America.
Wonder how many Americans were hurt by Reagan policies because of what he did in Central America? Nothing is ever going to satisfy you and you will never tell us exactly what you expect from a President. You cannot sell your own state on your ideology so you want a federal bureaucrat to do it for you
As to faves, it is a hybrid of several presidents: JFK's inspiration, LBJ's food assistance, Medicare and civil rights support, Nixon signing legislation creating the EPA, Bush one ending Reagan's ugly asylum practices, Carter's non-hypocritical human rights policies that leading to the tearing down of the Berlin Wall, Obama's ACA and unifying rhetoric, W's actions post 9/11, Ike's interstate and elbowing McCarthy aside.
What was the US Budget under JFK and LBJ? What is it today? Any idea what happened to the "Ask not what your country can do for you" Democrat Party?

I can tell you the worst was ray goon. The best was Ike.
Wow, you really are old if Ike was the best President. Ike was President 70 years ago, so looks to me like someone who gets all their information from liberal media reports and books. Reagan won 49 states so apparently you are in a very small minority that has problem with his policies and results, just like you do with Trump, policies and results never matter to you, do they?

Reagan won 49 states in 1984 so you don't have a lot of credibility as usual on this or any other issue, wonder what it is about liberalism that creates your kind of loyalty. Were you ever taught personal responsibility growing up or was that always someone else's responsibility
What does Reagan's victory in 1984 have to do with his praise for the actions of a Guatemalan dictator who was convicted of genocide? Btw, the dictator reportedly said he would accept execution for his crimes, "so long as Reagan is put up against the wall next to me," given Reagan's support for his actions, which involved killing every living thing in some villages.

And what, pray, is the relevance of personal responsibility to Reagan's support of dictatorships?

No, sorry it is. Health care is a universal right. Why don’t you move to a country that lacks it and whose people don’t seem to want it, unlike the US where the idea has massive popular support? Perhaps Russia would be more to your liking.
How long before you have a gov't that sends you a meal plan, tells you what you can drink, how much you have to exercise, where to go to the doctor and when? No Healthcare is a personal responsibility and that makes it yours. you want UHC, move north to Canada and pay for it in your taxes

I'm only 39, so I guess I'll say Clinton... but it's a pretty low bar.

How long before you have a gov't that sends you a meal plan, tells you what you can drink, how much you have to exercise, where to go to the doctor and when? No Healthcare is a personal responsibility and that makes it yours. you want UHC, move north to Canada and pay for it in your taxes
You don’t want UHC, move to Russia and enjoy your tax savings.

What does Reagan's victory in 1984 have to do with his praise for the actions of a Guatemalan dictator who was convicted of genocide? Btw, the dictator reportedly said he would accept execution for his crimes, "so long as Reagan is put up against the wall next to me," given Reagan's support for his actions, which involved killing every living thing in some villages.

And what, pray, is the relevance of personal responsibility to Reagan's support of dictatorships?
What does that have to do with the economic and social results in this country that benefited every American. You ever going to tell us what you expect out of a President as you are all over the place promoting social issues that are state and local responsibilities. Sorry but Reagan results destroy again your credibility. Was he perfect, NO but damn close as the results show

You don’t want UHC, move to Russia and enjoy your tax savings.
No, actually I live in TX where I have more spendable income because of the low taxes and cost of living thus can afford my own health insurance

No, actually I live in TX where I have more spendable income because of the low taxes and cost of living thus can afford my own health insurance
Great, once we have a single payer system even in Texas, you’ll be able to move to Russia!

Great, once we have a single payer system even in Texas, you’ll be able to move to Russia!
Why do you think it is the federal taxpayer's responsibility to fund your personal responsibility issue of healthcare?

You live in the most screwed up state socially and fiscally in the United States paying among the highest taxes and getting the following so stop whining and complaining, solve your own problems

Carter won the Cold War through his human rights policy. Reagan supported mass murder and terrorism in Central America, promised he would and then did go slow on civil rights enforcement, said things that Medicare would make us slaves, said absurd things like the most terrifying words in English were "I'm from the government and I am here to help you."

What a crock of shit.

Wonder how many Americans were hurt by Reagan policies because of what he did in Central America? Nothing is ever going to satisfy you and you will never tell us exactly what you expect from a President. You cannot sell your own state on your ideology so you want a federal bureaucrat to do it for you
Gee, I wasn't hurt, but I met and assisted people who were tortured or who had their entire families murderd by the military in some of the most horrific ways. Met a US nun raped by the military Reagan supported, knew a priest who had to leave Guatemala due to threats on his life. Observed Reagan officials disparaging the four religious women raped and murdered in El Salvador, Reagan praising Catholic resisters to communism in Poland, ignoring Catholic resisters to fascism in Latin America. Even the anti-communist Poles knew better than Reagan, sending messages of solidarity to Chilean dissidents.

I expect a president to obey US law and the treaties that bind us. Reagan didn't regarding refugees. Things changed under Bush, what I expected. I also expect a president not to invade a country like Grenada, not to slow walk civil rights enforcement.
What was the US Budget under JFK and LBJ? What is it today? Any idea what happened to the "Ask not what your country can do for you" Democrat Party?
I assume that under JFK and LBJ were the beginnings of the GOP disparaging non-military spending. But you'd have to show where you would cut. The standard GOP line these days is to knock tax and spend democrats, while still spending the same or more but cutting taxes. Then they are shocked, shocked I tell you, that deficits mount up.

Gee, I wasn't hurt, but I met and assisted people who were tortured or who had their entire families murderd by the military in some of the most horrific ways. Met a US nun raped by the military Reagan supported, knew a priest who had to leave Guatemala due to threats on his life. Observed Reagan officials disparaging the four religious women raped and murdered in El Salvador, Reagan praising Catholic resisters to communism in Poland, ignoring Catholic resisters to fascism in Latin America. Even the anti-communist Poles knew better than Reagan, sending messages of solidarity to Chilean dissidents.

I expect a president to obey US law and the treaties that bind us. Reagan didn't regarding refugees. Things changed under Bush, what I expected. I also expect a president not to invade a country like Grenada, not to slow walk civil rights enforcement.

I assume that under JFK and LBJ were the beginnings of the GOP disparaging non-military spending. But you'd have to show where you would cut. The standard GOP line these days is to knock tax and spend democrats, while still spending the same or more but cutting taxes. Then they are shocked, shocked I tell you, that deficits mount up.

Cool stories.

:rolleyes:

Of course you did and of course Americans all over the country experienced that horror as well, right>? You really are nothing more than a partisan liberal hack out of touch with reality and totally ignoring the world in which we lieve
Sorry, I have no more patience for people like you who supported Clinton, Biden, Obama and their massive gov't programs that never solved any of the problems that apparently are important to you. You live in the wrong state or country, California or maybe Chine is better suited for you
I asked you what the JFK and LBJ budgets were, and what do I get, more silence and diversion. Tax and spend Democrats creating massive dependence and destroying incentive?? YOU BET. Going to enjoy the Midterms and 2024 elections, Allowing people to keep more of what they earn really bothers people who cannot compete in a private sector economy or never had parents who taught them personal responsibility. Why don't you explain to us why the FEDERAL taxpayers should be funding social programs and healthcare for people living in your state? You apparently have no idea what your state and local responsibilities are or the state and local taxes you pay or their purpose

Of course you did and of course Americans all over the country experienced that horror as well, right>? You really are nothing more than a partisan liberal hack out of touch with reality and totally ignoring the world in which we lieve

Sorry, I have no more patience for people like you who supported Clinton, Biden, Obama and their massive gov't programs that never solved any of the problems that apparently are important to you. You live in the wrong state or country, California or maybe Chine is better suited for you

I asked you what the JFK and LBJ budgets were, and what do I get, more silence and diversion. Tax and spend Democrats creating massive dependence and destroying incentive?? YOU BET. Going to enjoy the Midterms and 2024 elections, Allowing people to keep more of what they earn really bothers people who cannot compete in a private sector economy or never had parents who taught them personal responsibility. Why don't you explain to us why the FEDERAL taxpayers should be funding social programs and healthcare for people living in your state? You apparently have no idea what your state and local responsibilities are or the state and local taxes you pay or their purpose

There are some great story tellers on here..

There are many polls on who you support for President in 2024 but haven't seen any that name the greatest President in your lifetime so how about it? Tell me who is your greatest President and why?

Mine has to be Reagan who took over an economy in a double dip recession with an extremely high misery index(inflation and unemployment). His economic policies started with the Recovery Act of 1981 and had ZERO gov't spending in it, total tax cuts for the American people leading to almost 17 million NEW jobs being created, inflation dropping under 4% from double digits, doubling GDP dollar growth on a budget that was 1 trillion dollars. Never benefited more from any President's economic policies and our foreign adversaries were put on notice leading to the tearing down of the Berlin Wall.

So rather than attack Reagan tell me your greatest President and why?
Got some pretty slim pickings; they were all terrible in my view from Reagan till now, so it's really more like who was least bad. Probably Obama, though I'm definitely no fan; I refuse to give Clinton credit for happening to be in office during the dotcom boom.

I guess Obama. He at least did the Affordable Care Act.

Back
Top Bottom