• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who is the Greatest President in your life time and why?

Conservative

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
There are many polls on who you support for President in 2024 but haven't seen any that name the greatest President in your lifetime so how about it? Tell me who is your greatest President and why?

Mine has to be Reagan who took over an economy in a double dip recession with an extremely high misery index(inflation and unemployment). His economic policies started with the Recovery Act of 1981 and had ZERO gov't spending in it, total tax cuts for the American people leading to almost 17 million NEW jobs being created, inflation dropping under 4% from double digits, doubling GDP dollar growth on a budget that was 1 trillion dollars. Never benefited more from any President's economic policies and our foreign adversaries were put on notice leading to the tearing down of the Berlin Wall.

So rather than attack Reagan tell me your greatest President and why?

There are many polls on who you support for President in 2024 but haven't seen any that name the greatest President in your lifetime so how about it? Tell me who is your greatest President and why?

Mine has to be Reagan who took over an economy in a double dip recession with an extremely high misery index(inflation and unemployment). His economic policies started with the Recovery Act of 1981 and had ZERO gov't spending in it, total tax cuts for the American people leading to almost 17 million NEW jobs being created, inflation dropping under 4% from double digits, doubling GDP dollar growth on a budget that was 1 trillion dollars. Never benefited more from any President's economic policies and our foreign adversaries were put on notice leading to the tearing down of the Berlin Wall.

So rather than attack Reagan tell me your greatest President and why?
Reagan here, as well. It's not even a discussion.

Who is the Greatest President in your life time and why?​

Difficult question. Very difficult. Every president in my lifetime has had so many pluses and minuses. Something to cheer about, and usually much more to be disappointed in, although I've always kept my expectations low.

That said, I'd have to say Obama was the best, and at that because, despite decades of hollow promises from both sides of the aisle, he was the only one to finally give the country anything even resembling fundamental healthcare reform. If his Party were stronger in Congress in his first two years, we might have actually caught up to the rest of the civilized developed world.

Obama, for doing something about health care after multiple predecessors (and successors) who were all talk but no action.
Is that really the role of the Federal Gov't or state and local responsibility? 50 different states and cost of living?

Reagan, hands down. He was a great speaker and motivator, he won the cold war with the Iron Lady and Pope John Paul II.
I tend to agree. Though I wonder if Reagan was good rather than great.

The most underrated imo is Truman. He had to take over from the absurdly pro Soviet and delusionary FDR who had treated him with contempt. Truman helped create NATO, saved Korea from the Communists - and saved the US from MacArthur.

Last edited:
I tend to agree. Though I wonder if Reagan was good rather than great.
In my lifetime, great. He did things I wasn't happy with too, but his speeches inspired me, he "Tear down this wall" speech was EPIC...

George Herbert Walker Bush

He managed the collapse of the Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact deftly. I cannot imagine any President in my lifetime doing it better. Hell, outside of my lifetime. He stood up to Thatcher and was fundamental to the reunification of Germany. An act that I personally believe saved NATO and that organization has been the backbone of European peace and prosperity for decades. He exercised sound military judgement when projecting American political will. The First Gulf War was nothing short of brilliant. He expanded the reach of neoliberalism and broke down regulatory abatis facilitating the free flow of capital, goods, and services across borders. And in doing so, started the process of lifting hundreds of millions of human beings out of poverty. Something we now take for granted. He was the last President with the balls to tell Israel to #sand when the interests of our two nations came in conflict. He was fiscally conservative in the face of a profligate Republican Party; it probably cost him the 1992 election.

No other President in my lifetime comes close.

George Herbert Walker Bush

He managed the collapse of the Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact deftly. I cannot imagine any President in my lifetime doing it better. Hell, outside of my lifetime. He stood up to Thatcher and was fundamental to the reunification of Germany. An act that I personally believe saved NATO and that organization has been the backbone of European peace and prosperity for decades. He exercised sound military judgement when projecting American political will. The First Gulf War was nothing short of brilliant. He expanded the reach of neoliberalism and broke down regulatory abatis facilitating the free flow of capital, goods, and services across borders. And in doing so, started the process of lifting hundreds of millions of human beings out of poverty. Something we now take for granted. He was the last President with the balls to tell Israel to #sand when the interests of our two nations came in conflict. He was fiscally conservative in the face of a profligate Republican Party; it probably cost him the 1992 election.

No other President in my lifetime comes close.

Couldn't agree more.

I do know it's not to lie us into a war. I'm sure of that.
Lie us into War? Ok, do you know what Congressional oversight is? That committee has the same information as the President

I would say Reagan, and not simply because he was a conservative, because many of his policies actually are not all that conservative. However, President Reagan was great leader due to his eternal optimism for America and American greatness. Reagan who was once an FDR democrat who eventually saw the failures in overreaching government regulations and failed social engineering attempts of 'new deal' economics, and 'the great society" under LBJ.

Reagan was also a great statesman, and was respected by the democrats in Washington who had different views, so they at least could still work together. Unlike today where each party seeks and then demands nearly 100% of getting their way. Reagan would always say that if he got 80% of what he sought a great victory, and then the remaining compromise was therefore accepted.

1980 Election

1980_large.png

1984 Election

1984_large.png

I do know it's not to lie us into a war. I'm sure of that.
Didn't LBJ lie trick the American people into a greater conflict in Vietnam....the Gulf of Tonkin incident was a lie and it led to 50K unnecessary dead Americans in that worthless country.

Eisenhower. Though his presidency was dominated by the cold war, he prioritised a balanced budget over tax cuts. Unlike Reagan.
Tax cuts don't cause deficits and never have, interesting again how foreigners are so clueless about our budget and economy. pure jealousy?

Eisenhower. Though his presidency was dominated by the cold war, he prioritised a balanced budget over tax cuts. Unlike Reagan.
True...but this: Ike did want a balanced budget but never got it.
Whether you have high taxes which confiscates your wealth or you have high inflation which is just a tax on your buying power did not matter to Eisenhower.
Eisenhower's quote above is often put in the context of the fact that the top marginal income tax rate in 1953 was 92%. The 92% tax bracket applied to income over $400,000 in 1953.

Tax cuts don't cause deficits and never have, interesting again how foreigners are so clueless about our budget and economy. pure jealousy?
Tax changes have an impact on revenue.

Revenue has an impact on deficits.

Man, I hope you're not in charge of your household budget.

No. If spending and revenue are in balance and revenue (taxation) is reduced the result is a deficit. Iam surprised that a fellow conservative does not know this.

No. If spending and revenue are in balance and revenue (taxation) is reduced the result is a deficit. Iam surprised that a fellow conservative does not know this.
Tru but the is broader than that, what are the line items in the budget and what tax funds those line items. Most of the deficit and debt comes from entitlement spending funded by FICA(Payroll) taxes. FIT and CIT do NOT fund those items so if there is a shortfall why should FIT and CIT pick up the slack. Millions of Americans don't benefit from SS or Medicare but do pay FIT

Back
Top Bottom