• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who is the Greatest President in your life time and why?

Tru but the is broader than that, what are the line items in the budget and what tax funds those line items. Most of the deficit and debt comes from entitlement spending funded by FICA(Payroll) taxes. FIT and CIT do NOT fund those items so if there is a shortfall why should FIT and CIT pick up the slack. Millions of Americans don't benefit from SS or Medicare but do pay FIT
I was reacting to your claim - not limited to the US - that tax cuts do not cause deficits and never have.

I'm gonna' have to go with Joe Biden, Mr. 81 Million Votes and most popular politician ever. No one has had such a tremenous impact on changing the course of America is less than 2 years. Under Trump the country was falling into the abyss because of his mean tweets. Many people died of covid under Trump and then Biden singlehandedly saved everyone from certain death. He has created so many high paying skilled jobs in record time. He brought stability and love back to the US. I say put a small statue of him next to the George Floyd statue. Smaller of course, because no one could ever match the contribution to the world that George Floyd gave us. Let's be reasonable.

There are many polls on who you support for President in 2024 but haven't seen any that name the greatest President in your lifetime so how about it? Tell me who is your greatest President and why?

Mine has to be Reagan who took over an economy in a double dip recession with an extremely high misery index(inflation and unemployment). His economic policies started with the Recovery Act of 1981 and had ZERO gov't spending in it, total tax cuts for the American people leading to almost 17 million NEW jobs being created, inflation dropping under 4% from double digits, doubling GDP dollar growth on a budget that was 1 trillion dollars. Never benefited more from any President's economic policies and our foreign adversaries were put on notice leading to the tearing down of the Berlin Wall.

So rather than attack Reagan tell me your greatest President and why?
Agreed.

Zero doubt. President Regan was by far, the best.

With respect:

Reagan was a political criminal. And he created much of the debt crisis by being the aggressor in the Cold War. That's one of the main reasons why we're currently more threatened with nuclear war than we've ever been.

Conservatives love political criminal daddy figures as president.

If I wasn't so young at the time, I might consider Kennedy. Between him and Reagan, we no doubt have first and second place.

Reagan, hands down. He was a great speaker and motivator, he won the cold war with the Iron Lady and Pope John Paul II.

Reagan ushered in the AIDS epidemic, runaway spending and deficits, the Iran Contra scandal, the trickle-down scam, and he nearly got us into WWIII.

Reagan is bar-none the most overrated president of the 20th century. Maybe the most overrated president ever.

Nixon. He knew the empire was sick and he acted like he knew it. Everyone else was and is still pretending this monkey **** can be untangled long enough for a fix.

George Herbert Walker Bush

He managed the collapse of the Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact deftly. I cannot imagine any President in my lifetime doing it better. Hell, outside of my lifetime. He stood up to Thatcher and was fundamental to the reunification of Germany. An act that I personally believe saved NATO and that organization has been the backbone of European peace and prosperity for decades. He exercised sound military judgement when projecting American political will. The First Gulf War was nothing short of brilliant. He expanded the reach of neoliberalism and broke down regulatory abatis facilitating the free flow of capital, goods, and services across borders. And in doing so, started the process of lifting hundreds of millions of human beings out of poverty. Something we now take for granted. He was the last President with the balls to tell Israel to #sand when the interests of our two nations came in conflict. He was fiscally conservative in the face of a profligate Republican Party; it probably cost him the 1992 election.

No other President in my lifetime comes close.
History has been kind to Bush Sr. Definitely the last sane Republican president. I was born during the Carter administration. A good man but a poor president. Couldn’t steady the ship after the insanity before and then fatally undermined by his successor.

Reagan is a difficult one, did good things, did bad things. People get all emotional about him so I’ll leave it at that. Clinton, pretty good. Dubya, a disaster. Obama promised lots just delivered little. Trump, lol. Biden, not Trump which was enough at the beginning but maybe not so much anymore.

Reagan made entertaining movies......people say what the hell has that to do with anything......well imo a lot of folks grew up with good guy bad guy Saturday matinee white conservative backgrounds and Reagan being the good actor and public speaker that his acting experience gave him, was comfortable stating what so many people admired......he could make you feel proud to be an American......because he stood for decency and all the good ideals that the good guys did in the movies.......it was as time went by shown to be more of Reagan acting the part than having an administration of good guys......his admin had 11 staff members convicted of crime and 14 more indicted which was the most ever at the time.....his famous tax cuts were before his completion of his admin were, by his own admission unsuccessful and had to be re-instated before he left office......but Reagan was a good actor.....he filled the bill for what voters wanted.....a rah rah standup cowboy good guy.....he said the right things at the right time......and that imo was why he was and still is admired......Obama was a good orator and to some degree made people feel good about America and had the respect of the world.....Clinton was lucky and presided over the dotcom economy.......Johnson is perceived as a rascal and not favored very much but the truth is he actually accomplished more for poor Americans than any potus......the Bush's? .....can't say much about either of them......Kennedy unfortunately sold out his mafia buddies......Eisenhower was a war hero who did create the interstate highway system......Truman was badly under rated and was a decent leader.....the Roosevelt's were probably the greatest potus' of the last century..........

so in answer to the question who was the greatest potus during my lifetime.......all of them......how in God's name we ever came to a point where a person like Trump could not only be elected potus but actually admired for anything is beyond the pale to me.....when I look at all of these guys for me all of them actually were leaders and understood that America needs a potus for all the people.......I think they all did their best, within their spheres to do that......Trump is so obviously different the implication for the nation is not good.....

Reagan ushered in the AIDS epidemic, runaway spending and deficits, the Iran Contra scandal, the trickle-down scam, and he nearly got us into WWIII.

Reagan is bar-none the most overrated president of the 20th century. Maybe the most overrated president ever.
Revisions history.

He had no control of AIDS.

Runaway spending was from double digit inflation from the prior administration.

Iran-Contra... Whoop-t-do... Carter had already F-d up the middle east.

WWIII? Bullshit. His policies broke the USSR a few years after he was out of office.

What was he suppose to do?
Fund research into treat
Revisions history.

He had no control of AIDS.

Runaway spending was from double digit inflation from the prior administration.

Iran-Contra... Whoop-t-do... Carter had already F-d up the middle east.

WWIII? Bullshit. His policies broke the USSR a few years after he was out of office.
He sat by and watched people die

Ronnie. Not perfect, but the right guy for the right time.

The "greatest" President in my 85 years has been -- in one sense -- the current nominal President.

He has obeyed his "advisers" and appointed the most diverse group of people ever.

He -- along with TV commercials -- is getting Americans accustomed to diversity.

a. His Vice President has African ancestry and Indian (the country of India) ancestry.
b. His Transportation Secretary is gay.
c. His Defense Secretary is African American.
d. He has appointed a transgender woman as an admiral.
e. His press secretary is an African American and lesbian.
f. He has appointed various Hispanic Americans.
g. I do not know any names, but I assume that he has also appointed some Asians.

It's good that President Biden has done this.

Americans should learn to accept government employees from all walks of life.

I am currently reading (supposedly an Amazon best seller) Secret City by James Kirchick. It describes how Americans in the 1950s and beyond feared gay people even more than they feared the communists. Thousands of gay men who worked for the federal government in Washington, D.C., and even abroad, were fired. (Some then committed suicide.) The book covers the period from FDR to William Jefferson Clinton.

Eisenhower. Though his presidency was dominated by the cold war, he prioritised a balanced budget over tax cuts. Unlike Reagan.
Plus, he kept the Cold War from turning Hot. Setting Cold War policy for many presidents to follow.

Fund research into treatment
Research was funded by congress, in a bill he signed in 1983. Though I couldn't find the specifics, I did find references.

Aids was new in 1981, and only gay men, prostitutes, and introvenous drug users were getting it then. It wasn't until the outbreaks grew, that is was established for what it is. A high school friend of mine lost his older brother to Aids I think in the 80's, when needle sharing was still common.

Research was funded by congress, in a bill he signed in 1983. Though I couldn't find the specifics, I did find references.

Aids was new in 1981, and only gay men, prostitutes, and introvenous drug users were getting it then. It wasn't until the outbreaks grew, that is was established for what it is. A high school friend of mine lost his older brother to Aids I think in the 80's, when needle sharing was still common.

There are many polls on who you support for President in 2024 but haven't seen any that name the greatest President in your lifetime so how about it? Tell me who is your greatest President and why?

Mine has to be Reagan who took over an economy in a double dip recession with an extremely high misery index(inflation and unemployment). His economic policies started with the Recovery Act of 1981 and had ZERO gov't spending in it, total tax cuts for the American people leading to almost 17 million NEW jobs being created, inflation dropping under 4% from double digits, doubling GDP dollar growth on a budget that was 1 trillion dollars. Never benefited more from any President's economic policies and our foreign adversaries were put on notice leading to the tearing down of the Berlin Wall.

Ronald Reagan

In 1980 at 20 years old, oh did I hate Mr ‘Bedtime for Bonzo’ ( I know, look it up) President Ronald Reagan. I was discharged from service in Jan 1982 and ole Ronnie had just eliminated UE for departing service members. Thx A-Hole.

And thanks to Carter the job industry (Construction) was chit. Oh, and interest rates put So Cal homes where my work was, out of reach.

Both these smucks were on my chit list. Moved up swiftly to #1 and #2 respectively •.

Looking back, I can see RR turned our country around. We weren’t allowed to wear our uniforms out in public. No special boarding privileges were provided us in those days.

I recall early RR speech where he said. ‘Russia doesn’t have to like us, but by God, they’re going to respect us’

Born in 1982. So everybody from Reagan to Biden.

It is tough for one between Ronald Reagan, George H.W Bush, and Barack Obama. Reagan did a great job with getting inflation and the economic back to order. Government over spending put the country at risk though. H.W helped with the unification with Germany, signed the ADA, put together a flawless plan for the Gulf War and found common ground and got the budget back in order. He sacrificed his presidency for the good of the country. Obama was a step forward in progression for minorities and LGBTQ Americans, passed the ACA, and helped to get us out of the Great Recession. He also made the gutsy call to kill Bin Laden.

Can I do a tie between Bush and Obama? I think both were terrific presidents.

Back
Top Bottom