• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which is better: Open-carry or concealed-carry? [W:192]

Which is better: Open-carry or concealed-carry?

• Total voters

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

Speaking of guns, just to be clear. The question is also from the perspective of the other person. Of the two, which would you prefer that other people do when they carry, open-carry or concealed-carry? Why? What factors do you look at?

I would prefer people open-carry. I figure that lots of people currently carry now, legally and illegally, and I don't know who is carrying or not. With open-carry, I know. (Not that I'm the type to do something, but I still like to know.)

Open-carry really seems to unnerve some people, though.

Note: I am purposely leaving only two options in the poll.

Last edited:
Re: Which is better: Open-carry or concealed-carry?

The third option could be both open and concealed. Sorry. I just felt compelled to say that. I'll log out. Promise.

It is better to be informed than ignorant. Open carry.

Speaking of guns, just to be clear. The question is also from the perspective of the other person. Of the two, which would you prefer that other people do when they carry, open-carry or concealed-carry? Why? What factors do you look at?

I would prefer people open-carry. I figure that lots of people currently carry now, legally and illegally, and I don't know who is carrying or not. With open-carry, I know. (Not that I'm the type to do something, but I still like to know.)

Depends, if someone is openly carrying a handgun in a holster it doesn't bother me at all, if someone is walking around a densley populated urban area with a loaded assault rifle and arguing with police officers who question what he's doing that's a little unnerving.

I prefer concealed carry though, in most cases it is easier to go through life not causing problems. though I also have openly carried and like having both options.

It depends on the 'other' person's intent. I could care less if people are packing or not, openly or concealed. I find open carry a bit pretentious though, but that's just me.
Now, if I had the intent of i.e. robbing a store, I would want to know how many weapons I could be facing.

Assuming the purpose of carrying is defense then I MUCH prefer concealed carry. It isn't even close. While I wouldn't outlaw open carry, I do think it is counterproductive. And I am not even talking about the fear it engenders in the general public.

Open carry completely eliminates the element of surprise. It also makes you a target. A bad guy with a concealed weapon, who can see you are armed, can catch you off guard and incapacitate or kill you in order to take your weapon. Or in the unlikely event you are in a location that is targeted by a mass shooter who is the least bit observant, you will be taken out before you ever even know what is going on.

The only time I would open carry is if I am in uniform (security or police), in which case the cat is out of the bag anyway. And the other time is if I am carrying to protect myself more from non-human hostiles, such as hiking in bear territory.

I get it. Open carrying can be more comfortable. It might add a half second to your draw time and perhaps you like the attention it gets. But if the point is defense then it defeats the purpose.

Both under different circumstances. I do both. When out and about, my choice is a short barrel .38 special concealed. Said .38 is totally worthless when hiking in bear country. Then it's a .44 magnum 7.5 inch barrel. Not a concealable weapon.

When I worked in unsafe neighborhoods with dealers on the corners. Then the .44 open. No way could I have taken on all of them. The visibility and a quick explanation why I was there and the dealers moved to the other end of the block until I finished.

LEO for the most part open carry for the same reason.

I''ll take the 3rd option of "both"

I think concealed carry is better. There are too many limp-wristed pansies out there who would freak out just SEEING a firearm. It's best that they not know.

I think concealed carry is better. There are too many limp-wristed pansies out there who would freak out just SEEING a firearm. It's best that they not know.
There is that. Too many people just friggin' freak out when they see a gun.

In this day and age, concealed-carry is better so liberals don't faint upon seeing a firearm.

There is that. Too many people just friggin' freak out when they see a gun.

It's a normal, healthy visceral response to sensing danger.

Why? Anyone wanting to harm you is not likely to advertise his intentions.

Look up the meaning of the word visceral.

That's why one's emotions shouldn't control them, as they tend to be irrational.

I was a police officer for thirty years in a state with open carry. I had no problem with that but I did have a problem with sneaky people who wanted to hide their gun. Prior to the Calinfornia Invasion, all the calls I got on someone carrying a gun it was one they were trying to hide. A holster on the belt, plain to see, didn't seem to concern people.

Our state also had a law that said a person could carry a concealed weapon in their home, in their place of business, and in their car. Not a big problem with that, either.

I do tend to prefer an open carry law. Go ahead, be proud.

Visceral does not necessarily equal rational. To me, seeing a person open-carry would indicate that they are less likely to have insidious intent. It's the criminal schmuck who conceals... that I can't see coming... that worries me.

Why can't we have both? Open carry in the supermarket, CC in church.

From a deterrent perspective, concealed-carry.
I don't have an issue with adding a little doubt into any potential criminal's mind,
that their next robbery could be their last.

In this day and age, concealed-carry is better so liberals don't faint upon seeing a firearm.

Oh please, it's not the political persuasion that upsets people. It's the individual carrying and setting that upsets people. I'm pro gun and it pisses me off when a particular idiot in town open carries at a park with his young kids (and lots of other people with young kids) with a few hundred people gathered to enjoy band performances in the summer. There is absolutely no call for it, he's not protecting himself or anyone else. He does not give a **** that he upsets people trying to enjoy a summer evening with their loved ones. Him and his family are a ****ing distraction at these events.

Oh please, it's not the political persuasion that upsets people. It's the individual carrying and setting that upsets people. I'm pro gun and it pisses me off when a particular idiot in town open carries at a park with his young kids (and lots of other people with young kids) with a few hundred people gathered to enjoy band performances in the summer. There is absolutely no call for it, he's not protecting himself or anyone else. He does not give a **** that he upsets people trying to enjoy a summer evening with their loved ones. Him and his family are a ****ing distraction at these events.

There's something to that. If your purpose in carrying a firearm is to make a political statement you are, in my opinion, doing it wrong.

There's something to that. If your purpose in carrying a firearm is to make a political statement you are, in my opinion, doing it wrong.

You hit the nail on the head, that is exactly why he does it. It's not much different than the idiots who carry AR's into a Hardees restaurant. I have no problem with open carry in the proper context but if one is going to be around a lot of people, just keep the thing concealed.

How about the idiot who wears a shoulder holster (meant for concealed) that places the gun under the armpit, pointed outward? Ever encounter someone doing that? IMO, open carry should require the weapon be pointed down while wearing.

It pisses you off? Why are people upset is what you should be asking.

Maybe the person doesn't have a CCW license.

Back
Top Bottom