• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which is better: Open-carry or concealed-carry? [W:192]

Which is better: Open-carry or concealed-carry?

• Total voters
Re: Which is better: Open-carry or concealed-carry?

It is the topic at hand. If it were not then I wouldn't give it much thought. I'm not a gun person, so it's not something I give any though to except when it's thrown in my face as a topic or on the news.

I don't think there is anything we can do about knives. They are utensils with a primary purpose that does not involve stabbing people. We need cars for transportation, they are designed to be as safe as reasonably possible. Guns have a primary purpose of firing a high speed projectile with the intent of hitting a target. Far to often that target is a human being. I do just fine without owning a gun, not owning a car or knives would present a significant handicap. Some other people feel they need guns for protection from, ironically, other's with guns.

Correction: "protection from, other's that are Criminals or mentally ill with guns." But you knew that already but went ahead and posted a half-truth (lie) anyway, Noted.

Of course not...and at least against a knife the victim has a fighting chance. People can kill with any number of methods, we are trying to reduce the number carried out with guns. Most people, given a choice, will choose a gun over a knife to carry out their plan.

Do you actually believe that a person that plans to attack and kill others cares about you gun laws, Really?

I saw my first open carrier last week.

I could not help but notice that he carried the weapon in a manner that made it very obvious that he had it. Not surprisingly, he also appeared to enjoy the attention it got him. Over all, he reminded me a lot of Zimmerman.

I don't know if this is typical or not with open carriers. My guess is that it is.

I have no problem with a citizen getting a concealed weapons permit and bearing arms accordingly. Having see the chaos and fear that can and does result from open carry from people more interested in putting themselves on display rather than any protection factor, I do not favor open carry.

Do you actually believe that a person that plans to attack and kill others cares about you gun laws, Really?

The idea is to reduce the availability of those type weapons, not to rely on criminals to obey laws. You really must think people are stupid.

Correction: "protection from, other's that are Criminals or mentally ill with guns." But you knew that already but went ahead and posted a half-truth (lie) anyway, Noted.

Does it matter to you whether the person pointing the gun at you is a criminal, mentally ill or just plain really pissed off? I will note that you called me a liar. Punk.

The idea is to reduce the availability of those type weapons, not to rely on criminals to obey laws. You really must think people are stupid.

"Reduce the availability of those type of weapons"...hmm.... Just how, pray tell, are you going to do that? Especially when you consider that most guns used in crimes are gotten via illegal means. Seems to me that the only way to do so would be to limit lawful gun owners, gun owners that wouldn't even dream of committing a crime, much less committing one with a gun. So...are you proposing to ban guns? If so what type? And please don't say "assault weapons". That is nothing more than a meme term conjured up by anti-gun folks in order to play into peoples fears. And if you say "assault rifles" I'll have to point out that, once again, knives are used in more crimes than assault rifles, and you've already proven that you won't go after knives so going after assault rifles is nothing more than a hypocritical stance.

You also may want to note that with 3D printing there will be no reliable way to actually reduce or get rid of guns from criminals no matter what.

If you have a CCW permit, it'll show up on your drivers license check if you're stopped.

"Reduce the availability of those type of weapons"...hmm.... Just how, pray tell, are you going to do that? Especially when you consider that most guns used in crimes are gotten via illegal means. Seems to me that the only way to do so would be to limit lawful gun owners, gun owners that wouldn't even dream of committing a crime, much less committing one with a gun. So...are you proposing to ban guns? If so what type? And please don't say "assault weapons". That is nothing more than a meme term conjured up by anti-gun folks in order to play into peoples fears. And if you say "assault rifles" I'll have to point out that, once again, knives are used in more crimes than assault rifles, and you've already proven that you won't go after knives so going after assault rifles is nothing more than a hypocritical stance.

You also may want to note that with 3D printing there will be no reliable way to actually reduce or get rid of guns from criminals no matter what.

Ok, I actually agree with you believe it or not. The cat was let out of the bag decades and centuries ago. We are stuck with this problem as a result. I do however sympathise with those who experience the nightmare and want something done. I guess I hope there are ways to make a difference and that people a whole lot smarter than me can figure it out, but it seems as though the conversation is not permitted by the gun lobby. End of story.

Ok, I actually agree with you believe it or not. The cat was let out of the bag decades and centuries ago. We are stuck with this problem as a result. I do however sympathise with those who experience the nightmare and want something done. I guess I hope there are ways to make a difference and that people a whole lot smarter than me can figure it out, but it seems as though the conversation is not permitted by the gun lobby. End of story.

You want to do something? Then don't go after guns. :shrug: They're inanimate objects that can't do a thing on their own. If you want to do something then go after the root causes of crime and violence. I've posted several times here at DP some plans that would actually address those root causes and not one single bit about them had to do with guns. A VERY VERY quick summary of those plans:

1: Work on economy to where very few people are actually poor but are at least middle class.
2: Reform our Justice system. Make it equal and not biased.
*3: Reform our Prison system. Make it about rehabilitation instead of punishment.
**4: Reform our education system based on the top 10 ranked countries in regards to education.
*5: Reform our societal understanding of how to treat ex-cons. As it stands its about continuation of punishment such as not being able to get decent paying jobs or places to live.
6: Actual mental health reform. Make it easier to get people help.

* Note: some parts of these are dependent upon the type of crime committed.
** Note: Including educating people in how to identify those with mental problems.

All of these things needs addressed desperately. And all of them combined would reduce crime drastically if implemented properly and with no greed or power hungry idiots getting in the way. I'd go into further detail but frankly it takes up a lot of time and space to write it all out. Just search my posts and you'll find my proposals regarding this if you want to know more.

You want to do something? Then don't go after guns. :shrug: They're inanimate objects that can't do a thing on their own. If you want to do something then go after the root causes of crime and violence. I've posted several times here at DP some plans that would actually address those root causes and not one single bit about them had to do with guns. A VERY VERY quick summary of those plans:

1: Work on economy to where very few people are actually poor but are at least middle class.
2: Reform our Justice system. Make it equal and not biased.
*3: Reform our Prison system. Make it about rehabilitation instead of punishment.
**4: Reform our education system based on the top 10 ranked countries in regards to education.
*5: Reform our societal understanding of how to treat ex-cons. As it stands its about continuation of punishment such as not being able to get decent paying jobs or places to live.
6: Actual mental health reform. Make it easier to get people help.

* Note: some parts of these are dependent upon the type of crime committed.
** Note: Including educating people in how to identify those with mental problems.

All of these things needs addressed desperately. And all of them combined would reduce crime drastically if implemented properly and with no greed or power hungry idiots getting in the way. I'd go into further detail but frankly it takes up a lot of time and space to write it all out. Just search my posts and you'll find my proposals regarding this if you want to know more.

I think everyone would agree to all those ideas in principle. The only one which I regard as unattainable is #1. Not in a capitalistic, free market society anyway. The natural variability within the species ensures a wide range of ability to compete and thus economic outcome.

I think everyone would agree to all those ideas in principle. The only one which I regard as unattainable is #1. Not in a capitalistic, free market society anyway. The natural variability within the species ensures a wide range of ability to compete and thus economic outcome.

One of the top reasons for people going into a life of crime is due to economic hardship. When its too hard to obtain things then people will naturally try and find an easier way of obtaining those things. A life of crime is often what they find. After all, its much easier to sell 1lb of weed for $300 than it is to work 30 hours for the same amount wouldn't you say? It's also easier to steal stuff than it is to make it.

I'm not dispute what you say here, but we NEED to find a way no matter how difficult it is.

One of the top reasons for people going into a life of crime is due to economic hardship. When its too hard to obtain things then people will naturally try and find an easier way of obtaining those things. A life of crime is often what they find. After all, its much easier to sell 1lb of weed for $300 than it is to work 30 hours for the same amount wouldn't you say? It's also easier to steal stuff than it is to make it.

I'm not dispute what you say here, but we NEED to find a way no matter how difficult it is.

That's not inaccurate, but the best predictor of future criminality is children being raised by single mothers with a distant or absent father.

Making it difficult for law abiding citizens to own a gun will not reduce the availability on "those type weapons" whatever that means. I do not "think people are stupid, some people prove it daily. Curious, what do you plan on doing about all those Millions of guns already out there, hmmm?

Moderator's Warning:
All the personal attacks need to stop now. You can debate without directly attacking the other posters.

Making it difficult for law abiding citizens to own a gun will not reduce the availability on "those type weapons" whatever that means. I do not "think people are stupid, some people prove it daily. Curious, what do you plan on doing about all those Millions of guns already out there, hmmm?

We are stuck with the guns out in the wild. Bad guys will get them. That goes without saying. I don't have answers. I'm someone on the outside looking in with the hope that answers can be found. People who have lost loved ones to gun violence deserve attention and I sympathise with their plight. To me it's just wrong to shut down the dialogue the way the gun lobby does. The issue needs to be addressed because a large portion of the nation's people want something done.

I agree that we must seek to improve upon the social ills that perpetuate violence in our society. Lip service and excuses like a lack of funding won't get it done however. When irresponsible people can get guns through legal channels, and they can, something is wrong and needs to be fixed as if people's lives depend on it, because lives literally do depend upon it.

We are stuck with the guns out in the wild. Bad guys will get them. That goes without saying. I don't have answers. I'm someone on the outside looking in with the hope that answers can be found. People who have lost loved ones to gun violence deserve attention and I sympathise with their plight. To me it's just wrong to shut down the dialogue the way the gun lobby does. The issue needs to be addressed because a large portion of the nation's people want something done.

I agree that we must seek to improve upon the social ills that perpetuate violence in our society. Lip service and excuses like a lack of funding won't get it done however. When irresponsible people can get guns through legal channels, and they can, something is wrong and needs to be fixed as if people's lives depend on it, because lives literally do depend upon it.

constitutional rights cannot be abrogated upon mere showing that someone is "irresponsible" I don't know an objective test for an "irresponsible" person. is that applicable to a girl who sleeps with a scuzzy loser and doesn't take protective actions? IS an irresponsible mother one who naps while her toddler walks free through the house? how do you prevent irresponsible people from obtaining weapons without violating our rights

here is the problem. many people think its ok to prevent 1000000 people from owning guns if that prevention also bars 100 "improper" people from owning guns. and in some cases, there are those who want to ban EVERYONE from owning a gun if it keeps a few scumbags from being armed.

me, on the other hand, believe you CAN never violate the constitutional rights of honest lawful persons even if it might deter a few criminals.

Back
Top Bottom