• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which is better: Open-carry or concealed-carry? [W:192]

Which is better: Open-carry or concealed-carry?

• Total voters
Re: Which is better: Open-carry or concealed-carry?

Speaking of guns, just to be clear. The question is also from the perspective of the other person. Of the two, which would you prefer that other people do when they carry, open-carry or concealed-carry? Why? What factors do you look at?

I would prefer people open-carry. I figure that lots of people currently carry now, legally and illegally, and I don't know who is carrying or not. With open-carry, I know. (Not that I'm the type to do something, but I still like to know.)

Open-carry really seems to unnerve some people, though.

Note: I am purposely leaving only two options in the poll.

I voted concealed carry. Personally, I think it gives an armed person a chance to intervene more safely rather than becoming an immediate target.

I don't agree with this. A gun secured in a holster is not "muzzlesweeping" if this guy was standing in line in front of you carrying a concealed pistol in a horizontal shoulder holster under a jack it would be flagging you but you wouldn't know and wouldn't care.

see a modern handgun simply cannot discharge unless someone is pulling the trigger. hence a gun in a holster that covers the trigger is completely safe.

I've been in line at a grocery store before with a guy openly carrying a glock in a shoulder rig, I could see the muzzle pointed straight at me. meh, long as its holstered, it ain't doing nothin'

I understand how they work, still pisses me off even though I know it's "safe". Deep seated gun safety practices hammered into me at a young age. Doesn't matter if the gun is unloaded and the action is open, you don't do it, ever.

The first and foremost thing about criminals, is that they are LAZY, otherwise they would find honest work.
Actually shooting people would draw unnecessary attention, which is what the crooks do not want.

Thanks for letting me know. It's nice to hear from someone who's met more criminals that I have.

I understand how they work, still pisses me off even though I know it's "safe". Deep seated gun safety practices hammered into me at a young age. Doesn't matter if the gun is unloaded and the action is open, you don't do it, ever.

I understand, but I think our disagreement is what constitutes "doing it" the NRA gun safety rules say not to keep a firearm loaded until ready to use, I've had old people say that means they don't carry a loaded pistol or that it's wrong to carry a loaded pistol, except if you're carrying a loaded pistol for self defense it is "ready to use" and hence the rule isn't actually being violated.

It is not violating a gun safety practice to have a loaded firearm in a holster even if the holster position leads to the gun pointing (which is a distinct concept from a gun being pointed towards another person. taking that rules applying it so far gets to the point of taking a common sense rule and stretching it to absurd situtations it was never intended to cover. the NRA safety rules are to prevent accidents during gun handling at a firing range or gun show or demonstration, they're classroom concepts, they're not intended to apply to the act of carrying a firearm you intend to use for self defense and not exhibit since no gun handling will occur while it's holstered.

do you chock the wheels of your car when its parked at the super market? of course not! that rule is for safety on the showroom floor or mechnical shop, not for the actual use of the car. same concept.

Neither
For those, living in fear, who wish to regress to the 1800s .. my sympathy .

Look, you can't even see the gun.

This is normal -

BN-EF674_0822op_G_20140822143314.jpg

This (on the right) is carry expressly for political purposes

gettyimages-503101348_custom-b0e0988b13e87363d656cc06097744eab491267d-s900-c85.jpg

I think open carry for the same reason police cars are painted with attention getting colors.

well, except for the unmarked vehicles

one of each
but the sole bullet must be carried in a closed shirt pocket, barney style

It is better to be informed than ignorant. Open carry.

It is better to hide your cards rather than bluff with an exposed hand.

Last edited:

Oh please, it's not the political persuasion that upsets people. It's the individual carrying and setting that upsets people. I'm pro gun and it pisses me off when a particular idiot in town open carries at a park with his young kids (and lots of other people with young kids) with a few hundred people gathered to enjoy band performances in the summer. There is absolutely no call for it, he's not protecting himself or anyone else. He does not give a **** that he upsets people trying to enjoy a summer evening with their loved ones. Him and his family are a ****ing distraction at these events.

He only upsets the uneducated morons.

Keep telling yourself that.

Don't lie and call yourself 'pro gun' when it is obvious that you are not.

I'm going with concealed, not that I have a choice anyway. Many more options to carrying concealed vs. open. Heck, while driving the glove box or center console is legal concealed carry for me.

Don't lie and call yourself 'pro gun' when it is obvious that you are not.

Now I'm a moron and a liar... okay. :lol:

You haven't a real clue about me other than I think a guy is being a dick for open carrying at a public event with hundreds of people around.

How about the idiot who wears a shoulder holster (meant for concealed) that places the gun under the armpit, pointed outward? Ever encounter someone doing that? IMO, open carry should require the weapon be pointed down while wearing.
Why? have you heard of instances of the weapon accidentally discharging such a setting?

You haven't a real clue about me other than I think a guy is being a dick for open carrying at a public event with hundreds of people around.

for what it's worth, you are one of the few pro-gun forum members with credibility
i look forward to reading your take on gun issues, recognizing it is going to be well considered

I prefer CC.

I worked as a bodyguard for several years in Vegas. Most of the time it was armed and concealed. Occasionally you would get the goomba that wanted attention..."look at me Ive got an armed bodyguard! I'm important!" The only time Ive EVER had trouble with civilian response was when the gun was open carried.

It is better to hide your cards rather than bluff with an exposed hand.

True, but I wasn't speaking towards the person carrying. If you're carrying it's good for other people to not know, but at the same time it is better to know that other people are carrying than to be ignorant of the fact.

for what it's worth, you are one of the few pro-gun forum members with credibility
i look forward to reading your take on gun issues, recognizing it is going to be well considered
Well...for full disclosure you should also admit that you side with Moot, Jet, and Adonis on most gun issues...just to put that admiration in complete perspective.

Exactly the typical uneducated anti view, coupled with ignorance of COTUS, the BOR, and the right of self preservation.

Well...for full disclosure you should also admit that you side with Moot, Jet, and Adonis on most gun issues...just to put that admiration in complete perspective.

Bingo!

Antis of a feather flock together.

True, but I wasn't speaking towards the person carrying. If you're carrying it's good for other people to not know, but at the same time it is better to know that other people are carrying than to be ignorant of the fact.
Concealed means concealed.

Exactly the typical uneducated anti view, coupled with ignorance of COTUS, the BOR, and the right of self preservation.

Really and what pray tell do you think my views on those are? Please delineate.

Speaking of guns, just to be clear. The question is also from the perspective of the other person. Of the two, which would you prefer that other people do when they carry, open-carry or concealed-carry? Why? What factors do you look at?

I would prefer people open-carry. I figure that lots of people currently carry now, legally and illegally, and I don't know who is carrying or not. With open-carry, I know. (Not that I'm the type to do something, but I still like to know.)

Open-carry really seems to unnerve some people, though.

Note: I am purposely leaving only two options in the poll.

It seems unfair, if you want to practice drawing and shooting people, if you can't see who's carrying. If they are, but concealed you might get yourself shot, if you only wound him or miss the first couple of shots.

Concealed means concealed.

AH...yeah, I know.

A rational person would like that everyone doesn't know they're carrying, but at the same time they would want to know everyone else is carrying.

Back
Top Bottom