• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which is better: Open-carry or concealed-carry? [W:192]

Which is better: Open-carry or concealed-carry?

• Total voters
Re: Which is better: Open-carry or concealed-carry?

It pisses you off? Why are people upset is what you should be asking.

They're all pissed off too. Upset doesn't mean irrational fear.

I think open carry for the same reason police cars are painted with attention getting colors.

Maybe the person doesn't have a CCW license.

He does and even if he didn't a CCW is ridiculously easy to get here. I got fingerprinted, had a couple of folks sign off as a character reference and showed them a copy of my hunter's safety card gotten in 1978... done.

Many people confuse the right to bear arms with the right to carry concealed weapons. They are different tools from the same tool shed.

Regarding a concealed weapon: "You are not a police officer"!

You use a gun like a knife - a quick defensive stab the perp didn't see coming - it gives you space because he is worried about himself now.

A gun is no different: You acquire the target, draw, kill, in one smooth motion. If you pull it to warn someone you will probably freeze up if you think of what you are about to do! If the threat is that bad, you are probably going to die at the hands of the perp. For most, a fair fight is a losing fight.

Knives are close in with death "maybe". Guns are close in with death "probably".

Walking around with a pistol on you hip is just bragging, and being a punk. Many people are uncomfortable seeing firearms, so give them a break and keep it concealed.

He does and even if he didn't a CCW is ridiculously easy to get here. I got fingerprinted, had a couple of folks sign off as a character reference and showed them a copy of my hunter's safety card gotten in 1978... done.

And for those WITHOUT your precious "Hunter's Safety Card from back in Nineteen an' Sevnty Ate", they have to pay hundreds of dollars and give up an entire Saturday (that includes finding child care if necessary) to attend a Safety Classs, just so that they can then go and spend money on the background check and then more money on the licensing fees.

Here you have to go through a class and do some shooting I think.

They're all pissed off too. Upset doesn't mean irrational fear.

Why are we required to conceal one right, but not all others? I think the politics comes from the anti-gun crowd.

Speaking of guns, just to be clear. The question is also from the perspective of the other person. Of the two, which would you prefer that other people do when they carry, open-carry or concealed-carry? Why? What factors do you look at?

I would prefer people open-carry. I figure that lots of people currently carry now, legally and illegally, and I don't know who is carrying or not. With open-carry, I know. (Not that I'm the type to do something, but I still like to know.)

Open-carry really seems to unnerve some people, though.

Note: I am purposely leaving only two options in the poll.
As you said it un-nerves some people and I would say that open carry unless you a Big Bad Ass MF open carry can actually make you a target of criminals that want your gun. I open carry out on my property and around the lake we live next to, it is easier to access and more comfortable that way. In town I conceal carry even though the law says I can open carry if I wish, I am not afraid to be jumped Since most give me my space and I can take are of myself but I do understand that it does makes some uncomfortable and I also understand that in a critical situation the surprise factor of someone drawing a concealed firearm can go a long way in providing an advantage.

And for those WITHOUT your precious "Hunter's Safety Card from back in Nineteen an' Sevnty Ate", they have to pay hundreds of dollars and give up an entire Saturday (that includes finding child care if necessary) to attend a Safety Classs, just so that they can then go and spend money on the background check and then more money on the licensing fees.

No they can go to free hunter's safety classes too. But honestly virtually every one here who owns guns also hunts and has already gone through the course to get their hunting licenses. And the background check is like $25.

I think concealed carry is better. There are too many limp-wristed pansies out there who would freak out just SEEING a firearm. It's best that they not know.

maybe, but most states require permits to conceal carry and not every state will recognize out of state licenses. therefore to legally carry a gun in states I visit such as Oregon, California*, and Wyoming I have to carry openly.

*California is locality dependent, I normally only visit northern California and CAs recently passed "open carry ban" (which only applies to the open carry of non-loaded firearms, in unincorporates portions of counties where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited by local ordinance one may carry loaded) doesn't apply in counties with a population under 200,000 which is bascially every county north of Sacramento.

Oh please, it's not the political persuasion that upsets people. It's the individual carrying and setting that upsets people. I'm pro gun and it pisses me off when a particular idiot in town open carries at a park with his young kids (and lots of other people with young kids) with a few hundred people gathered to enjoy band performances in the summer. There is absolutely no call for it, he's not protecting himself or anyone else. He does not give a **** that he upsets people trying to enjoy a summer evening with their loved ones. Him and his family are a ****ing distraction at these events.

How is he open carrying?

I've witnessed, and on many occassions, carried a handgun openly in a holster at various public events.

in fact a couple of us gun rights activists used to set up a booth at a local event put on by the Port Orchard Police to give crime prevention tips and we had an open carry banner and information on open carry and getting CPLs. It almost never causes problems in practice. is this guy just boorish in behavior?

In an urban setting I prefer concealed both for myself and for anyone else who is carrying. Open carry in the field while hunting or hiking.

No they can go to free hunter's safety classes too. But honestly virtually every one here who owns guns also hunts and has already gone through the course to get their hunting licenses. And the background check is like $25.

You're in Montana right?

you know what's silly, Montana requires training to get a CPL, but Washington (a far more liberal state) requires only the background check, and MT recognizes my Washington license.

Maybe the person doesn't have a CCW license.

While I don't need to worry about that down here I can see it being the case in other places. What I figured Winchester was talking about was the guy who is ostentatious in the way he carries and the way he carries himself. I figured he was talking about the guy wearing a $150 Serpa Level 3 holster strapped to his thigh, a God, Guns and Bullets t-shirt and jungle boots while growling "whadda you want?" at anybody who says hello. While there are perfectly valid reasons for wearing such rigs taking the family out for ice cream isn't one of them.

Why are we required to conceal one right, but not all others? I think the politics comes from the anti-gun crowd.

We're not talking about a requirement. We're talking about practicality and purpose. Some people get really nervous around guns and make stupid decisions like calling the cops and saying that someone is waving a gun around the store even if that's no what's happening.

How is he open carrying?

I've witnessed, and on many occassions, carried a handgun openly in a holster at various public events.

in fact a couple of us gun rights activists used to set up a booth at a local event put on by the Port Orchard Police to give crime prevention tips and we had an open carry banner and information on open carry and getting CPLs. It almost never causes problems in practice. is this guy just boorish in behavior?

With 4 kids running around while trying to keep track of them? If it was just him and his wife going to enjoy the show, wouldn't bother me so much, I'd still think why bother but as it is he's distracted and up and moving around a lot trying to keep a handle on his kids. He's up and down a lot and while the gun is in the holster it isn't always pointed in a safe direction as there are people sitting all around him. Nothing infuriates me more than an unintentional sweep of a muzzle (again holstered or not or loaded or not) in my or other's path.

You're in Montana right?

you know what's silly, Montana requires training to get a CPL, but Washington (a far more liberal state) requires only the background check, and MT recognizes my Washington license.

Yep, Montana.

It doesn't matter. Everyone should be able to do whatever they want to do. If someone wants to open carry, that's up to them. If they want to conceal carry, that's up to them too. If they don't want to carry at all, that's fine. Why should there be one required standard?

From a deterrent perspective, concealed-carry.
I don't have an issue with adding a little doubt into any potential criminal's mind,
that their next robbery could be their last.

Of course, with concealed carry, the crooks--they often work in pairs or more--might just find it's safer to shoot everyone. You never know who might have a gun. If we're making up fantasies about open carry and concealed carry one fantasy is as good as another.

Speaking of guns, just to be clear. The question is also from the perspective of the other person. Of the two, which would you prefer that other people do when they carry, open-carry or concealed-carry? Why? What factors do you look at?

I would prefer people open-carry. I figure that lots of people currently carry now, legally and illegally, and I don't know who is carrying or not. With open-carry, I know. (Not that I'm the type to do something, but I still like to know.)

Open-carry really seems to unnerve some people, though.

Note: I am purposely leaving only two options in the poll.

I'd prefer that people not know. I still have it if I need it without making a scene.

While I don't need to worry about that down here I can see it being the case in other places. What I figured Winchester was talking about was the guy who is ostentatious in the way he carries and the way he carries himself. I figured he was talking about the guy wearing a $150 Serpa Level 3 holster strapped to his thigh, a God, Guns and Bullets t-shirt and jungle boots while growling "whadda you want?" at anybody who says hello. While there are perfectly valid reasons for wearing such rigs taking the family out for ice cream isn't one of them.

So we pick the most outrageous circumstance possible, and premise that as the norm. :roll:

With 4 kids running around while trying to keep track of them? If it was just him and his wife going to enjoy the show, wouldn't bother me so much, I'd still think why bother but as it is he's distracted and up and moving around a lot trying to keep a handle on his kids. He's up and down a lot and while the gun is in the holster it isn't always pointed in a safe direction as there are people sitting all around him. Nothing infuriates me more than an unintentional sweep of a muzzle (again holstered or not or loaded or not) in my or other's path.

I don't agree with this. A gun secured in a holster is not "muzzlesweeping" if this guy was standing in line in front of you carrying a concealed pistol in a horizontal shoulder holster under a jack it would be flagging you but you wouldn't know and wouldn't care.

see a modern handgun simply cannot discharge unless someone is pulling the trigger. hence a gun in a holster that covers the trigger is completely safe.

I've been in line at a grocery store before with a guy openly carrying a glock in a shoulder rig, I could see the muzzle pointed straight at me. meh, long as its holstered, it ain't doing nothin'

So we pick the most outrageous circumstance possible, and premise that as the norm. :roll:

Not at all. The norm out here is to carry concealed. Some do open carry and that's fine. Others, however, seem to like to make a statement when they carry and that ends up making things more difficult for the rest of us.

Not at all. The norm out here is to carry concealed. Some do open carry and that's fine. Others, however, seem to like to make a statement when they carry and that ends up making things more difficult for the rest of us.

758597.jpg

Look, you can't even see the gun.

Of course, with concealed carry, the crooks--they often work in pairs or more--might just find it's safer to shoot everyone. You never know who might have a gun. If we're making up fantasies about open carry and concealed carry one fantasy is as good as another.
The first and foremost thing about criminals, is that they are LAZY, otherwise they would find honest work.
Actually shooting people would draw unnecessary attention, which is what the crooks do not want.

Back
Top Bottom