• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Which 4WD car should I buy next year ?

Tender Branson

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I currently have a 12 year old Audi A3 Sportback, which has no 4WD.

But since I have relocated up to a mountain valley area since then, my next car will be a 4WD - because especially in winter there’s like a meter of snow here and the snow plows are not yet done at 6am when I drive to work in fresh powder snow and up again on extremely icy and slippery roads. And I don’t wanna put on the snow chains every time it dumps a foot of snow.

I am thinking about a Suzuki SX4 S-Cross

or a Hyundai Kona N-line:

Both of which are in the 25.000-30.000 €/$ region ...

But since I have relocated up to a mountain valley area since then, my next car will be a 4WD - because especially in winter there’s like a meter of snow here and the snow plows are not yet done at 6am when I drive to work in fresh powder snow and up again on extremely icy and slippery roads. And I don’t wanna put on the snow chains every time it dumps a foot of snow.

Don't buy Toyota, they support candidates that support the Big Lie.

FWDFORD.

Union made, best trucks in the world.

FWDFORD.

He is in Europe

The F150 is far to large to be practical

The Ranger is garbage, the maverick might work

Budget is also an issue

Golf Sportwagon

Bang for your buck, a Subaru.

Toyota has a complete line of 4WD vehicles.

Toyota has unsurpassed reliability and resale value, so you might want to consider one of these.

RAV4
Highlander
4 Runner
Sienna
Sequoia
Venza

Some of these might not be available in Austria, but I know the 4-Runner is. :)

[1] The advantage of 4WD is that it gets you moving more easily than 2WD does.

[2] 4WD does NOT give you greater "control traction" than 2WD does.

[3] Personally I'd go with the Subaru Forester (it has a higher reliability rating than either of your other two options and also has a better record for "value keeping").

I stopped by the local Hyundai car dealer today after work and watched the Kona N in red, with sports seats.

It looks awesome and is a really compact 4WD car.

Might actually buy it.

Hyundai-Yeni-KONA-N-LINE-2-728x410.jpg

U want 4wd or do you mean all wheel drive?

I just got a GMC Terrain and I am mighty impressed with it, my first GMC product and its a hell of a vehicle IMO. Its all wheel drive. I have a V6 I dont know about the 4 cylinders.

Is 4WD and AWD not the same ?

Not exactly the same.

The 4wd has all 4 wheels locked in the same speed of rotation.

In AWD, the transmission makes adjustments so that the inside wheels in a turn rotate a little slower than the outside because thats what the wheels do when you are driving.

AWD also will allow one or two wheels to slip if necessary and the other wheels to grab if thats what the road surface calls for. AWD is pretty impressive.

FWDFORD.

I find myself wondering if a standard sized Ford truck would be useable in a small Austrian mountain village but it's a fact that the Ford Ranger line is very popular in parts of EU.
It STILL amazes me that the pickup trucks of MY youth are today comparable to "MINI-trucks"...today's standard sized pickup trucks are almost TWICE the size of a typical Ford F100 of the 1960's!

I am in the market for an SUV as well but have held off because if cheap shortage. I was looking at the kia telluride.

For deep snow, you need weight.

2022-GMC-Hummer-EV-44-1.jpg

5000 Kilos worth of it.

Let's go, Branson. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously have you considered Subaru?

I would also suggest looking at Subaru. They are AWD rather than 4WD, AWD is a far superior solution for everyday drivers. Even better that most AWD cars they are symmetrical AWD. That means all the wheels drive all the time. This works a lot better than the cars that only kick in the rear wheels after the front ones slip (such as Toyota and Ford). They are super reliable; my current one has over 500,000 miles.

I find myself wondering if a standard sized Ford truck would be useable in a small Austrian mountain village but it's a fact that the Ford Ranger line is very popular in parts of EU.
It STILL amazes me that the pickup trucks of MY youth are today comparable to "MINI-trucks"...today's standard sized pickup trucks are almost TWICE the size of a typical Ford F100 of the 1960's!

The Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon (made after 2016) are fairly impressive. With a gas V6 or diesel engine they are even capable of towing a 7000 GVWR trailer.

I stopped by the local Hyundai car dealer today after work and watched the Kona N in red, with sports seats.

It looks awesome and is a really compact 4WD car.

Might actually buy it.

Hyundai-Yeni-KONA-N-LINE-2-728x410.jpg
If you're worried about driving in snow there isn't much ground clearance on that one.

You shouldn’t buy any. The sun monster is going to kill us all.

Back
Top Bottom