• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"When somebody burns the American flag they should go to jail for one year!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I won’t do that. Eventually the clown world regime will collapse and it will be you who has to leave.
Even more UnAmerican than your last statement.

You really have no idea what makes America great do you?

The fact that your suggestions are blatantly unconstitutional demonstrates that you either have no idea what the Constitution says or you despise it.

The fact that your suggestions are blatantly unconstitutional demonstrates that you either have no idea what the Constitution says or you despise it.
What made America great is long dead. America is burning through accumulated social capital from generations willing to throw flag burners in jail, and we are almost out.

What made America great is long dead. America is burning through accumulated social capital from generations willing to throw flag burners in jail, and we are almost out.
Perhaps a civics class is in order. You have no idea what America stands for, what the constitution says, you really ought to learn. It would be the patriotic thing to do. But you wont.

Perhaps a civics class is in order. You have no idea what America stands for, what the constitution says, you really ought to learn. It would be the patriotic thing to do. But you wont.
Lol. Ok guy.

And they should be arrested and put in prison once they survive being denied care in the burn unit
Don't take communium with that thought on your mind. That's pretty evil.

Don't take communium with that thought on your mind. That's pretty evil.
It’s not my fault, that’s the left that wants to deny medical care to their enemies

Probably because he isn't an American obviously.

And they should be arrested and put in prison once they survive being denied care in the burn unit
Meh...I dont so much care about that part.

The sincerity of an American's feelings about their flag being burned, can be gauged by their feelings about an Iranian or Sahrawi Republic flag being burned.

And the strength of their love for the US itself, I would say. Greatest Nation on Earth, or just what they picked out of the box ..?

You claimed that outlawing flag burning would be a slippery slope leaping to some sort of Orwellian dystopia. Historically you are wrong. America has become far more Orwellian since the discovery that flag burning is protected than before.

When people burn the flag, they're generally not burning it because they dislike colored material. They generally do it to express contempt for the American nation. No sane healthy society would tolerate such behavior.
Ours does.

You claimed that outlawing flag burning would be a slippery slope leaping to some sort of Orwellian dystopia. Historically you are wrong. America has become far more Orwellian since the discovery that flag burning is protected than before.
You can shame people for burning a flag. You can even fire them for it. But, you can’t arrest them.

Why do Right Wingers always fail to understand the constitution?

Burning the American flag is a celebration of the First Amendment.

You should be happy when you see someone exercising their First Amendment rights, not angry.

What about some jail time for saying bad things about whomever is President? Isn't that quite similar and completely American?

Violence is a physical act that causes, or intends to cause, harm.

Yanking something from someone's hands counts. It's violent. It physically affects them. It could result in injury. It's battery. It's robbery.

Don't rob children, people, okay?

I'd start by taking their flag from them. If they decide they want to fight me for it, I'm okay with that...

"All he had to do was give me his wallet and nothing would have happened."

That's robbing someone.

As I've stated, why Trump proposes something I disagree with, I will argue against it.

In the following video we see a snippet of Trump's recent campaign speech in Michigan:

Now as some members may know, I voted for Trump in 2016. Other's may know that I also "early" voted for him again 2 weeks ago. I support most of his agenda.

However, I do not support this "criminalization" of free expression.

I am a firm believer in the First Amendment right of free expression. While I do recognize some limits (inciting to riot, stealing and destroying other's property to show opposition, etc.) they must be connected to a tangible harm.

Therefore, if someone steals another persons flag, and burns it? Then I can support the idea of arrest for theft and destruction of property, punishable by fine or low-level misdemeanor depending on the circumstances.

But arrest and conviction simply for burning a flag? NO!

As long as the flag is personal property, or freely given by the owner to someone with knowledge and permission of destruction?

That is FREE EXPRESSION folks! Fully protected by the First Amendment.

To allow criminal prosecution and conviction simply for the act of flag burning is wrong. That is a slippery slope which will lead to places we who believe in freedom don't want to see happen.

I still support the President...but NOT in this pursuit.

Your man, Trump, would be an American dictator if the nation would allow it. He's a megalomaniac.

I couldn't vote for someone who wants to destroy an essential tenet of freedom of speech: protesting one's country without threat of prison. I've seen a few others forego established principles for Trump in other matters. It's an odd position to take.

So you support Xiden shoving his vaccine up your ass?

The First Amendment: you're either in or you're out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom