• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"When somebody burns the American flag they should go to jail for one year!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Memba how right wingers love to talk about the constitution constantly. LOL. Just another stupid thread by a rigth winger

As I've stated, why Trump proposes something I disagree with, I will argue against it.

In the following video we see a snippet of Trump's recent campaign speech in Michigan:

Now as some members may know, I voted for Trump in 2016. Other's may know that I also "early" voted for him again 2 weeks ago. I support most of his agenda.

However, I do not support this "criminalization" of free expression.

I am a firm believer in the First Amendment right of free expression. While I do recognize some limits (inciting to riot, stealing and destroying other's property to show opposition, etc.) they must be connected to a tangible harm.

Therefore, if someone steals another persons flag, and burns it? Then I can support the idea of arrest for theft and destruction of property, punishable by fine or low-level misdemeanor depending on the circumstances.

But arrest and conviction simply for burning a flag? NO!

As long as the flag is personal property, or freely given by the owner to someone with knowledge and permission of destruction?

That is FREE EXPRESSION folks! Fully protected by the First Amendment.

To allow criminal prosecution and conviction simply for the act of flag burning is wrong. That is a slippery slope which will lead to places we who believe in freedom don't want to see happen.

I still support the President...but NOT in this pursuit.

Trump is a jackass...engages in token patriotism when he molests a flag but pisses on the very thing that makes it more than just a piece of colorful cloth.

I hate this topic. Is there an epidemic of flag burning? Have you ever personally watched someone burn a flag? When was the last time you saw a flag burned on the news or in a movie? Flag burning isn't a thing in the U.S. Radical Islamists burn flags in Tehran. This is another wedge issue that is not a problem but the far right specializes in solving problems that don't exist.

I would like to thank whoever necromanced this thread. It makes me feel like an old timer on DP! :cool:

I hate this topic. Is there an epidemic of flag burning? Have you ever personally watched someone burn a flag? When was the last time you saw a flag burned on the news or in a movie? Flag burning isn't a thing in the U.S. Radical Islamists burn flags in Tehran. This is another wedge issue that is not a problem but the far right specializes in solving problems that don't exist.
Amen. I love it when people get all twisted over a flag. And also, THE Flag rests in the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C.
"A" Flag is probably on it's way from China. :)

It’s been established that it is a form of speech. Distasteful, but legal. So long as it’s your flag, who cares? As I understand it, flags were supposed to be burned rather than thrown away. One act out of reverence, one to make a political point.

According to defence.gov the flag should be dipped in kerosene to make sure it burns properly.

Note to protesters: do NOT use gasoline, you could burn yourself.

Wouldn't it be funny if we enforced the Flag Code for ALL American flags, including on boxer shorts, lapel pins etc? The number of open flame injuries would double overnight.

Flag burning occurs all the time in the US. Have you not been paying attention to the daily riots by leftist pieces of shit? They are burning the US flag on a daily basis. Flag burning is definitely a thing in the US by all the leftist filth. It is their sick and twisted way of demonstrating how much they hate the country in which they live.

Providing they purchased the flag they intend to burn, and are lawfully allowed to start a fire, there is no problem. If they stole the flag they intend to burn, or if the law prohibits them from starting a fire in that particular location, then they should be arrested and fined for violating the law. Burning the flag itself is not a crime, it is in fact the proper means of disposing of the US flag when it becomes damaged.

Flag burning occurs all the time in the US. Have you not been paying attention to the daily riots by leftist pieces of shit? They are burning the US flag on a daily basis. Flag burning is definitely a thing in the US by all the leftist filth. It is their sick and twisted way of demonstrating how much they hate the country in which they live.

What should be done with "leftist filth," Glitch?

Providing they purchased the flag they intend to burn, and are lawfully allowed to start a fire, there is no problem. If they stole the flag they intend to burn, or if the law prohibits them from starting a fire in that particular location, then they should be arrested and fined for violating the law. Burning the flag itself is not a crime, it is in fact the proper means of disposing of the US flag when it becomes damaged.

If Biden came out and said something as disdainful to the First Amendment as that, I wouldn't vote for him.

That's the difference between you and I, Adverse.... if this were 1933 Germany, you would have voted for Hitler because he was good for the economy. You might not have agreed with all the brown-shirted stormtroopers and all of that nastiness, but you would have looked the other way because you "mostly support his agenda."

Face it... you're a Franz von Papen.
Indeed. People like hitler rely on the tired catchphrase “its the economy stupid”

Im an economics graduate and i loathe that phrase.

So say I burn a flag and a bunch of guys beat the shit out of me. You say its my fault? If we go here, why stop at burning the flag. What if I had a bullhorn and said Trump is nothing but a piece of shit to a group of Trump supporters. Can they beat the shit out of me too?
They dont realize just how much they are justifying the “dont draw mohammed” rule.

I know this is from a couple months ago but FWIW, I agree. I understand the impulse to want to protect the flag, but if we don’t support the free speech of those we don’t agree with, then we don’t support it at all.
Yeahhhhh if this becomes law, its not far from the dont draw mohammed rule.

Trump is a jackass...engages in token patriotism when he molests a flag but pisses on the very thing that makes it more than just a piece of colorful cloth.
Some people burn the flag. Trump burns the Constitution.

I have seen a flag burned

So say I burn a flag and a bunch of guys beat the shit out of me. You say its my fault? If we go here, why stop at burning the flag. What if I had a bullhorn and said Trump is nothing but a piece of shit to a group of Trump supporters. Can they beat the shit out of me too?
What @VanceMack has just approved is that when you burn the flag and some redneck hillbilly's with a 6th grade education and their "I ****ed my sister" tattoo attacks you over the burning flag you are free to blow the shit out of them with your Glock in self-defense. HAHA LOL Vance... how did that shit work out for you... LOL

Last edited:
What @VanceMack has just approved is that when you burn the flag and some redneck hillbilly's with a 6th grade education and their "I ****ed my sister" tattoo attacks you over the burning flag you are free to blow the shit out of them with your Gloc in self-defense. HAHA LOL Vance... how did that shit work out for you... LOL

And what you don't realize is that when your rhetoric is targetted at gun owners, you may as well say nothing if you can't spell "Glock" correctly. To them, that just makes you another ignorant gun grabber.

And what you don't realize is that when your rhetoric is targetted at gun owners, you may as well say nothing if you can't spell "Glock" correctly. To them, that just makes you another ignorant gun grabber.
I was talking about the legality of self defense flying back in their conservative anti-flag burning redneck hillbilly friends faces...

I was talking about the legality of self defense flying back in their conservative anti-flag burning redneck hillbilly friends faces...

It falls into the broader category of "don't make typos when correcting someone else's English" you see.

The legal defense of "fighting words" is thankfully dead. Insulting someone else's mother is no grounds for getting violent, though I wouldn't be so sure it won't extract some leniency from the judge.

What @VanceMack has just approved is that when you burn the flag and some redneck hillbilly's with a 6th grade education and their "I ****ed my sister" tattoo attacks you over the burning flag you are free to blow the shit out of them with your Glock in self-defense. HAHA LOL Vance... how did that shit work out for you... LOL
:ROFLMAO:

Are you still nursing your sore damaged *****?

Yeahhhhh if this becomes law, its not far from the dont draw mohammed rule.
Why is that bad? Clearly Islamic societies have had much more success protecting their culture and values from subversion because they’re willing to punish those who express contempt for their shared values.

To put it so that any idiot can understand.

I WON.

lol
Oh dood....you for whatever reason are so damaged that you felt compelled to drag out a 2 year old thread to show how tough and snarky you are by insulting hillbillies and being a bad ass.......no...wait...by pretending there was some OTHER badass that would by golly show those toothless sister ****ing hillbillies.........and you think in your typical fashion that painting yourself as just another rabid dumbass makes you a 'winner'?

:ROFLMAO:

No...you arent 'winning'. You are damaged. I'm just about willing to bet you are the only one that doesnt see it.

Oh dood....you for whatever reason are so damaged that you felt compelled to drag out a 2 year old thread
Just another example of how lame your posts are... no, @Loulit01 resurrected the thread not me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom