• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"When somebody burns the American flag they should go to jail for one year!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flag burning used to be a crime nearly everywhere.
It’s been established that it is a form of speech. Distasteful, but legal. So long as it’s your flag, who cares? As I understand it, flags were supposed to be burned rather than thrown away. One act out of reverence, one to make a political point.

I meant 1924... when Lenin died and Stalin became the leader... you would have been there cheering him on, waving your red flag with crossed gold hammer and sickle, eagerly awaiting the persecution and eradication of intellectuals and Jews as well as the subjugation of tens of millions of free people. You guys love your oppression. LOL

I know more than you could ever hope to attain... fact.
No, like all you Pumpkin Head worshippers, you are a closet Fascist and dumber than a box of rocks. And I'm being kind.
The evidence you provide with depressing frequency on this forum shows you know nothing.

No, like all you Pumpkin Head worshippers, you are a closet Fascist and dumber than a box of rocks. And I'm being kind.
What the hell... what do you mean? Why would you call me that without any evidence ? WTF?
The evidence you provide with depressing frequency on this forum shows you know nothing.
Show some then...

So you support Xiden shoving his vaccine up your ass?
You all spent most of last year bragging about it being Trump's vaccine. What happened?

Why do you?
burning a flag is specifically protected by the constitution. why do you hate it? you are advocating a direct violation of the constitution. that is anti american.

burning a flag is specifically protected by the constitution. why do you hate it? you are advocating a direct violation of the constitution. that is anti american.
No it’s not protected. Nothing in the constitution protects a right to perform such an action.

The Supreme Court ruled that it is protected expression. The job of the Court is to interpret the Constitution.
The Supreme Court is wrong.

it is specifically protected in the very first amendment of the constitution. you should read it sometime.

demonstrably false. it's why you can't be jailed for burning a flag.
I have read it. I don’t see any provision involving desecration of the flag

What made America great is long dead. America is burning through accumulated social capital from generations willing to throw flag burners in jail, and we are almost out.
I am curious why you care. You have to search pretty hard for examples of flag burning, and the attention is what those people crave. I'm sure I go months and don't ever have to be outraged at some lonely idiot burning a flag, or stomping on it, or whatever he or she feels like doing to make a point.

More importantly, it's a form of protest - obviously - and if we aren't free to protest our government, including by desecrating a flag, then what purpose does the 1A really serve? If it doesn't protect our right to protest our government, what does it protect that matters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom