• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When DOES Illegal Immigration finally become a 'crisis'?

Obviously it becomes a crisis the moment Democrats take over the House.

Lowest since 1972.

When most people think "crisis," they usually think of a problem that's continually growing rather continually decreasing.
310,000 in one year that were caught, with many thousands of them coming from middle eastern countries.

But hey...as long as you have your leftist talking point...

So none of that concerns you. 310,000 illegal immigrants CAUGHT...with an unknown number that did NOT get caught, and the source and home countries of those individuals us not concerning to you because someone gave you a talking point.

Lowest number in quite some time. We must be doing something right to be able to reduce these numbers. I say keep up the good work, it's still trending downward so we can get those numbers even lower.

It sure wasn't a crisis for the 2 years that the GOP controlled the Oval Office, House and Senate. And it wasn't a crisis for the years prior to that when the GOP controlled the House and the Senate either.

is not a concern to you?

Concerned? About what? That people are wanting to get in this country? No, I'm not.

My concern is that NEITHER party nor the President wants to REALLY ADDRESS illegal immigration by mandating e-verify, doing TRUE Border Security (not a wasteful wall) and actually addressing the flaws in the time for VISAS, Asylum, and citizenship. That's what concerns me.

So how does his big beautiful wall that Mexico isn't paying for get those 12 to 20 million illegals out of the country?

It does not. The best that it could do is make those deported have a harder time getting back into the country. That is why I do not support symbolic gestures to "secure the border" while allowing US wages to be depressed by millions of illegal third world laborers being employed inside our borders. As my home invader analogy points out, responding to home invaders does not differ based on how they gained entry.

310,000 in one year that were caught, with many thousands of them coming from middle eastern countries.

So we caught 310,000. Excellent news. Sounds like there isn't a crisis after all.

It sure wasn't a crisis for the 2 years that the GOP controlled the Oval Office, House and Senate. And it wasn't a crisis for the years prior to that when the GOP controlled the House and the Senate either.

Isn't it funny how Trump decides to raise hell about it, now that he's lost the House?

Was it a crisis when Obama was president? Did Schumer identify it as a problem? Did the democrats find illegal immigration problematic in 2006 when they voted for border walls or 2012 when they did the same?

Do you find 310,000 illegal immigrants caught with an unknown number that actually succeeded a cause for concern? Do you find the fact that 35 people from Turkey were caught at our Southern border. 49 from Vietnam. 48 from Sri Lanka. 433 from Romania. 224 from Pakistan. 48 from Somalia. 45 from Kosovo. 2,943 from INDIA. 49 from Albania. 564 from Bangladesh. 642 from Nepal. 14 from Saudi Arabia were all caught at our southern border a cause for concern?

It does not. The best that it could do is make those deported have a harder time getting back into the country. That is why I do not support symbolic gestures to "secure the border" while allowing US wages to be depressed by millions of illegal third world laborers being employed inside our borders. As my home invader analogy points out, responding to home invaders does not differ based on how they gained entry.

Thanks for describing the wall as symbolic. That's exactly what it is, nothing more and nothing less.

I agree that wages get depressed, but are we raising our American children to want to clean the toilets in rest stops, change sheets in the Super 8, pick blueberries, and mow peoples' lawns?

No, there is no crisis. That is fear-driven hysteria by three years of Trump screaming at everybody that immigrants are crossing the border to kill you.

Again, lowest immigrant apprehension since early 1972. If you're really worried about the well being of you and your loved ones, load everyone into a van, head to a pharmacy and get your flu vaccinations. The flu killed 80,000 people last winter.

View attachment 67247633

Also:

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/f...thwest Border Sector Apps FY1960 - FY2017.pdf

Also, to steal Tres' point: how will a wall remove the undocumented immigrants already in our country?

One could just as easily argue that the drop in illegal border crossing apprehensions was a result of the Secure Fence Act passed in 2006. Having a 400 pound person assert that they don't need to start a diet and exercise program because they are now only gaining a few pounds per month is a lame argument.

Last edited:

Again: lowest number since 1972. Scream about the 300k figure til you're blue in the face. That number is nothing in the large picture, and the large picture shows that if you were going to scream "crisis!" you probably should have done so back in 1986 when undocumented immigrant apprehensions were at their highest.

Was it a crisis when Obama was president? Did Schumer identify it as a problem? Did the democrats find illegal immigration problematic in 2006 when they voted for border walls or 2012 when they did the same?

Do you find 310,000 illegal immigrants caught with an unknown number that actually succeeded a cause for concern? Do you find the fact that 35 people from Turkey were caught at our Southern border. 49 from Vietnam. 48 from Sri Lanka. 433 from Romania. 224 from Pakistan. 48 from Somalia. 45 from Kosovo. 2,943 from INDIA. 49 from Albania. 564 from Bangladesh. 642 from Nepal. 14 from Saudi Arabia were all caught at our southern border a cause for concern?

You asked about a crisis, not a cause of concern. Yuge difference.

No crisis now, no crisis over the last several years. There are problems that need to be solved, but they will not be solved by a wall, fence, or steel slat barrier.

One could just as easily argue that the drop in illegal border crossing apprehensions was a result of the Secure Fence Act passed in 2006.

Cool. Sounds like it's doing its job, then, and there's no "crisis."

Cool. Sounds like it's doing its job, then, and there's no "crisis."

Yep, said the 400 pound man as he woofed down a donut and proclaimed that he now only gains a few pounds per month.

Yep, said the 400 pound man as he woofed down a donut and proclaimed that he now only gains a few pounds per month.

So I assume you have a deadbolt on your house that works yes? So why don't you have 20 deadbolts then on your door? Same thing here, the walls and fences we have are working and I could concede we may need "some" more (with some heavy reasoning in those locations), but nowhere near the size, length, and scope that Trump wants just for a campaign slogan.

Sounds like the big guy is getting his problem under control, one step at a time. Good for him.

Per your analogy, he's gone from eating all the donuts in the world in 1986 to just one donut in 2017.

Good luck pal these people don’t really care about that question

So I assume you have a deadbolt on your house that works yes? So why don't you have 20 deadbolts then on your door? Same thing here, the walls and fences we have are working and I could concede we may need "some" more (with some heavy reasoning in those locations), but nowhere near the size, length, and scope that Trump wants just for a campaign slogan.

I don't even lock my door, much less have it dead bolted. The fiction offered by both parties is that illegal immigration can be controlled without a very serious increase in interior immigration law enforcement efforts. It is obvious that the demorats don't want that with sanctuary state/cities and equally obvious with republicant's opposition to mandatory E-Verify. IMHO, we should tear down the existing border fencing if we do not intend to add more of it. Half measures at border security, like home security, are a waste of time, money and effort.

Sounds like the big guy is getting his problem under control, one step at a time. Good for him.

Per your analogy, he's gone from eating all the donuts in the world in 1986 to just one donut in 2017.

You missed the point entirely. The man is obese and is still gaining weight - that is not "getting his problem under control" that is simply denying the problem exists thus does not require action.

You missed the point entirely. The man is obese and is still gaining weight - that is not "getting his problem under control" that is simply denying the problem exists thus does not require action.

So who's ignoring the problem?

I don't even lock my door, much less have it dead bolted.

Then use ANY security measure you currently use and then ask yourself why you don't multiply that by 20 then?

The fiction offered by both parties is that illegal immigration can be controlled without a very serious increase in interior immigration law enforcement efforts. It is obvious that the demorats don't want that with sanctuary state/cities and equally obvious with republicant's opposition to mandatory E-Verify.

Which verifies what I said about both parties and the president not wanting to do anything serious about illegal immigration. A wall is not going to solve our problems.

IMHO, we should tear down the existing border fencing if we do not intend to add more of it. Half measures at border security, like home security, are a waste of time, money and effort.

Noted and disagree. That's like saying we should tear down all stop lights, speed limits and stop signs since people are caught speeding and running red lights and stops. You essentially want an all or nothing approach and that isn't reality.

1) Then use ANY security measure you currently use and then ask yourself why you don't multiply that by 20 then?

2) Which verifies what I said about both parties and the president not wanting to do anything serious about illegal immigration. A wall is not going to solve our problems.

3) Noted and disagree. That's like saying we should tear down all stop lights, speed limits and stop signs since people are caught speeding and running red lights and stops. You essentially want an all or nothing approach and that isn't reality.

1) I can legally shoot home invaders. That requires no multiplication.

2) Agreed.

3) We have enforcement of those traffic laws - the signs are merely reminders of the laws. It should be obvious that a "keep out" sign or fence is not going to stop illegal entry.

Back
Top Bottom