• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When DOES Illegal Immigration finally become a 'crisis'?

Having 12M (to 20M?) illegal immigrants inside the country, some for decades, is a "crisis". Pointing out that illegal immigration is not primarily accomplished by crossing the Southern US border to gain entry does not lessen that "crisis" in any way, shape or form. Whether a home invader gained entry by posing as an innocent visitor at your front door or broke in through a back window makes little difference - the immediate issue is how to remove the invader.

There is no way to remove the “invader,” or rather “guest,” until we stop inviting him/her to pick crops and clean hotel rooms. Every two-three decades we have gone through a ritual period of outrage at immigrants, legal or not. Conservative politicians get to grandstand, conservative employers get cheap labor. Southern Germans, Irish, Italians, Jews, and Latinos. It’s a crisis. Til it isn’t. Then it’s a crisis again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I can see a mounting crisis on the horizon now that border patrol agents aren't being paid. TSA people make the least so they are already abandoning ship. How many paychecks can a border agent skip until SOS?

When DOES Illegal Immigration finally become a 'crisis'?

when there is no one

to pick the vegetables

milk the cows

cut the meat

build.the buildings

mow the lawns

clean the hotels

There is no way to remove the “invader,” or rather “guest,” until we stop inviting him/her to pick crops and clean hotel rooms. Every two-three decades we have gone through a ritual period of outrage at immigrants, legal or not. Conservative politicians get to grandstand, conservative employers get cheap labor. Southern Germans, Irish, Italians, Jews, and Latinos. It’s a crisis. Til it isn’t. Then it’s a crisis again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Rest assured that illegal immigrants can (and do) perform many different jobs. The stereotypical crop picker or nanny is far from a majority of the jobs in which illegal immigrant labor is depressing the wages of other (US citizen and legal immigrant) workers. Since I now work primarily in the various construction trades, I see the impact of this directly.

As with industries, there are some very specific occupations with particularly high concentrations of unauthorized immigrant workers. The occupations tend to be subgroups of the major occupations with the highest shares of unauthorized immigrant workers. The occupations where at least one-quarter of workers are unauthorized immigrants include drywall installers (31% in 2014), miscellaneous agricultural workers (30%), roofers (29%), construction painters (26%) and brick masons (25%). U.S.-born workers, however, account for the largest share of workers in all these occupations. (See the table here for data on these and other specific occupations.)

Compared with U.S.-born workers, unauthorized immigrant workers are more likely to be employed in service and construction occupations. About a third of unauthorized immigrant workers (32% in 2014) are employed in service occupations, compared with 17% of U.S.-born workers who hold these types of jobs. Construction jobs employed 16% of unauthorized immigrant workers in 2014, triple the share of U.S.-born workers (5%) in those occupations. Production and maintenance jobs employed 14% of unauthorized immigrant workers in 2014, but 9% of U.S.-born workers. Only 4% of unauthorized immigrant workers held farming jobs in 2014, but about 1% of U.S.-born workers did.

Occupations of unauthorized immigrant workers

Rest assured that illegal immigrants can (and do) perform many different jobs. The stereotypical crop picker or nanny is far from a majority of the jobs in which illegal immigrant labor is depressing the wages of other (US citizen and legal immigrant) workers. Since I now work primarily in the various construction trades, I see the impact of this directly.

Occupations of unauthorized immigrant workers

Agreed. Immigrants often depress wages. But we live with a political contradiction. Steve King of Iowa is one of the prominent anti-immigrant representatives in Congress. But he was rated 0% on labor issues by the AFL-CIO. Often the same political forces that use an anti immigrant line to their advantage are no friends of policies that would make "immigrant jobs" more attractive to US residents and citizens.

Years ago the actress Bo Derek was for some reason criticizing illegals. Comedian Paul Rodriguez, "Strap on a leaf-blower, Bo."

So all you and others can muster instead of addressing the real world facts is meaningless typical leftist talking point blather.

Worthless.

Calling a reference to data “blather” is an instance of actual blather. The OP pointed to the fact that border crossings in large numbers are a perennial problem, and one we have dealt with year after year without hysteria, until now. That illegal entries are significantly lower than they used to be is a fact to be reckoned with, not a mere “talking point”.

According to you because I actually put facts in there and not fear mongering. The Dems have already said they are FOR Border Security, just not the wall. Seems it is Trump that is unwilling to negotiate and is only interested in keeping a false premise campaign slogan rather than trying to actually implement REAL Border Security. Not only that this shutdown is putting our airports at risk which SHOW that Trump isn't interested in National Security.

What the demo say and what they want are two different stories. PELOSI herself told an sob story about how her grandson 'Wished He Had 'Brown Skin and
Brown Eyes'. Pelosi explained that the child had "a very close friend named Antonio," who was from Guatemala. “This was such a proud day for me because
when my grandson blew out the candles on his cake, they said, ‘Did you make a wish?’… He said, ‘I wish I had brown skin and brown eyes like Antonio.’
So beautiful, so beautiful. The beauty is in the mix,” she told her House colleagues.

Again House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi thanked illegal aliens for having the “courage” to bring their children illegally into the United States.
“I say to their parents: Thank you for bringing these Dreamers to America. We’re in your debt for the courage it took, for you to take the risk,
physically, politically, in every way, to do so,” Pelosi said. Is that proof that Democrats want border security?

Isn't it interesting that in America, our flag and our culture offend so many people, but our benefits don’t?
Only in America are legal citizens labeled "racists" and "Nazis," but illegal aliens are called "Dreamers”.

Calling a reference to data “blather” is an instance of actual blather. The OP pointed to the fact that border crossings in large numbers are a perennial problem, and one we have dealt with year after year without hysteria, until now. That illegal entries are significantly lower than they used to be is a fact to be reckoned with, not a mere “talking point”.
The only thing...THE ONLY THING>..that has chnaged from when rats in congress and the WH saw illegal immigration as a crisis and serious problem to be resolved and when Trump did is the party affiliation of n the later. rat supports nodded adoringly at Obama as he announced is successes in combating illegal immigration.

The problem is as real now as it was then.

What I find MOST disturbing is not the number of Latin American people coming in...though that is certainly a problem. To me, the greatest problem is in the fact that we have literally thousands of people from the middle east and other parts of the world coming in through our southern border. That should cause anyone with a pulse and a measurable IQ concern. And it did...back when Obama was president.

Leftist are nothing but liars and hypocrites.

Well the number of illegal crossings is the lowest it's been in quite some time, so I think a crisis would occur if that number were to explode instead of getting lower each year.

Perhaps the existing barrier [built since it was overwhelmingly approved in 1995 by BOTH parties] worked?

Lets fill in the gaps and complete what they started.

That is partisan bull**** and doesnt address the topic. There were 310,000 illegal immigrants apprehended...and who knows how many made it through. Several thousand of those illegal immigrants are from middle eastern countries. When does illegal immigration become a problem.

If all you have to offer is the same mindless partisan leftist rhetoric, dont bother responding.

It will end when people like Trump and his resorts stop falsifying documents

The only thing...THE ONLY THING>..that has chnaged from when rats in congress and the WH saw illegal immigration as a crisis and serious problem to be resolved and when Trump did is the party affiliation of n the later. rat supports nodded adoringly at Obama as he announced is successes in combating illegal immigration.

The problem is as real now as it was then.

What I find MOST disturbing is not the number of Latin American people coming in...though that is certainly a problem. To me, the greatest problem is in the fact that we have literally thousands of people from the middle east and other parts of the world coming in through our southern border. That should cause anyone with a pulse and a measurable IQ concern. And it did...back when Obama was president.

Leftist are nothing but liars and hypocrites.

Leftists are leftists, but Trumpkins are sheep.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-da...border-from-middle-east-despite-trump-claims/

What the demo say and what they want are two different stories. PELOSI herself told an sob story about how her grandson 'Wished He Had 'Brown Skin and
Brown Eyes'. Pelosi explained that the child had "a very close friend named Antonio," who was from Guatemala. “This was such a proud day for me because
when my grandson blew out the candles on his cake, they said, ‘Did you make a wish?’… He said, ‘I wish I had brown skin and brown eyes like Antonio.’
So beautiful, so beautiful. The beauty is in the mix,” she told her House colleagues.

Again House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi thanked illegal aliens for having the “courage” to bring their children illegally into the United States.
“I say to their parents: Thank you for bringing these Dreamers to America. We’re in your debt for the courage it took, for you to take the risk,
physically, politically, in every way, to do so,” Pelosi said. Is that proof that Democrats want border security?

Isn't it interesting that in America, our flag and our culture offend so many people, but our benefits don’t?
Only in America are legal citizens labeled "racists" and "Nazis," but illegal aliens are called "Dreamers”.

You can't be serious.

We bring in approx 1 million legal immigrants every year. But there are unknown numbers of illegal immigrants that gain entry into this country every year. The exact amount is unknown. But lets start with what we KNOW.

In 2017, our US Border Patrol personnel apprehended 310,531 people seeking illegal entry into the country. Most of those are from Mexico (130,454), but there are what I find to be some rather alarming realities thrown into the mix. 35 people from Turkey were caught at our Southern border. 49 from Vietnam. 48 from Sri Lanka. 433 from Romania. 224 from Pakistan. 48 from Somalia. 45 from Kosovo. 2,943 from INDIA. 49 from Albania. 564 from Bangladesh. 642 from Nepal. 14 from Saudi Arabia. Those folk didnt WALK here from their home countries. Many of those countries have majority Muslim populations that may not necessarily be 'friendly' including Saudi Arabia.

And of course thats in addition to the 49,760 from El Salvador, 65,871 from Guatemala, 47,260 from Honduras.

Once here...how many of those are released? And those are just the numbers that are caught. How many are getting through?

When does illegal immigration become a problem people are willing to take seriously?

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/f...ionwide-apps-sector-citizenship-fy07-fy17.pdf

It will be taken seriously when Americans actually become more important than politics. Both sides have some fault in this but more so the Republicans that are refusing any compromise. The Republicans are saying "my way or the highway" and then holding 800,000 Federal workers hostage to get their way. No compromise or solution can be found this way.

The solution? Get rid of all the people in Congress that say "no" and put in people that are doers and not talkers.

You are not operating on "real world facts." If you did there is no way you'd think illegal immigration is a "crisis."

Last year, 400,000 people were caught crossing the border illegally. In the last 5 years more than a quarter of a million children, unaccompanied by an adult, were caught by border patrol illegally crossing our southern border. Who knows how many weren't caught.... but that's no crisis.

Something nobody on the left seems to understand, is that 1000's of United States citizens every year suffer needlessly in one form or another, from people who are illegally here. Not to mention the financial burden it inflicts on everyone. Isn't it the governments job to protect the safety and well being of it's citizens? The government can't prevent an American from inflicting harm on others, but they sure as hell can prevent illegals from doing so by making sure they can no longer illegally cross.

The argument from some on the left is that since the numbers are down from a decade ago, that makes everything OK?

Really?

Immigrants showing up at our Southern border is at its lowest number since the early 1970's. There is no "crisis" except to those who've been subsisting on a nonstop diet of Trump's "immigrants are crossing the border to kill you" messaging for the past three years.

Take a look at any county in any state from California to Texas....look at their school costs, emergency medical costs, and other related costs associated with illegals....and then tell me how many of those counties or states have surpluses in their budgets...I will make it easy....none do

We need to make some serious decisions in this country....how much do we want to help ourselves versus other countries, and can we afford to help everybody? I know people want to come here because we represent hope which they don’t have in their home countries so many times....but we can’t fix the world. At least I don’t think we can....we can’t even house and feed our own.

Anyway...that is my two cents worth....take it or leave it.

Last year, 400,000 people were caught crossing the border illegally. In the last 5 years more than a quarter of a million children, unaccompanied by an adult, were caught by border patrol illegally crossing our southern border. Who knows how many weren't caught.... but that's no crisis.

Something nobody on the left seems to understand, is that 1000's of United States citizens every year suffer needlessly in one form or another, from people who are illegally here. Not to mention the financial burden it inflicts on everyone. Isn't it the governments job to protect the safety and well being of it's citizens? The government can't prevent an American from inflicting harm on others, but they sure as hell can prevent illegals from doing so by making sure they can no longer illegally cross.

The argument from some on the left is that since the numbers are down from a decade ago, that makes everything OK?

Really?

Ted Nugent's words were a rebuke of the mainstream news media. He believes that the mainstream news media are the ones who are responsible for "lying" to those students.

He called them "soulless" for a couple of reasons. One because they are following the MSM's lead by making "guns" the problem that needs addressing, rather than focusing on what has caused so many people in our society to engage in these mass murders, and because they completely ignore the rights of law abiding people who use firearms to protect their families and property.

Personally I think Nugent's comments were a little harsh and a bit over the top (as they usually are), but no more so than the people who cry out "...but their children", which is nothing but phony outrage expressed to push a partisan political agenda.

I'm not clear on what your point is?

Unaccompanied children wouldn't be trying to sneak in if there was a wall preventing them from doing so... A big wall takes away the motivation.

Whenever it be, it ain't one now. It may have been back around 2000...

Attachments

• Southern Border Immigration 1970 to Present.jpg
    Southern Border Immigration 1970 to Present.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom